Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Pickett is now a 4 Star player in ESPN's latest rankings.

It looks like that ESPN never got around to rating Mark Smith.  Not that they didn't bother to update his ranking, but they never bothered rating him in the first place.  Because of that he doesn't even make ESPN's list of the top 18 prospects in IL.

Pickett was a 4* for awhile on ESPN only. 3* elsewhere

Just now, Glorydays2013 said:

Hey I think you should add that French is a top 100 now. Don't believe Foreman ever was. Backs up my point that he was higher rated out of HS...

French is top 100 in one service.  That makes me happy.  I think French is going to be a great player at SLU.

That said this rating comes from the same group that didn't bother rating Mark Smith.

4 minutes ago, brianstl said:

French is top 100 in one service.  That makes me happy.  I think French is going to be a great player at SLU.

That said this rating comes from the same group that didn't bother rating Mark Smith.

I agree 100% that it is ridiculous that Smith wasn't put in here. He got top 50 on other recent additions. Also I am only trying to give my opinion on playing time next year. ESPN is the Roger Ebert of Sports ratings and usually have it right, and I can imagine someone is getting a phone call that they forgot Smith. What I think is true and what other posters are saying already, having top 100 generates a lot of BUZZ. This is great for our program getting into further discussions in the off-season which hopefully allows us to be on TV for every game instead of a stream

14 minutes ago, brianstl said:

ESPN's recruiting coverage seems pretty bad overall. Rivals and 247sports seem to be the best in my opinion. Rivals has Mark Smith ranked #52 (4 star) and 247sports has him ranked #184 (3 star), not sure whether 247sports has updated their ranking on him.

Hasahn French - 3 star (unranked) on Rivals and #149 (3 star) on 247sports

Jordan Goodwin - #58 (4 star) on Rivals and #41 (4 star) on 247sports

Javon Pickett - 3 star (unranked) on Rivals and #205 (3 star) on 247sports

9 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

ESPN's recruiting coverage seems pretty bad overall. Rivals and 247sports seem to be the best in my opinion. Rivals has Mark Smith ranked #52 (4 star) and 247sports has him ranked #184 (3 star), not sure whether 247sports has updated their ranking on him.

Hasahn French - 3 star (unranked) on Rivals and #149 (3 star) on 247sports

Jordan Goodwin - #58 (4 star) on Rivals and #41 (4 star) on 247sports

Javon Pickett - 3 star (unranked) on Rivals and #205 (3 star) on 247sports

What I will say though is only one of the ranking sites have multiple national television channels and broadcasts. Also double check 247, they do a composite like VC, but the difference between them and VC is they have their own rankings ALONG with their composite from other sites

Just now, Glorydays2013 said:

Also double check 247, they do a composite like VC, but the difference between them and VC is they have their own rankings ALONG with their composite from other sites

Don't tell me what to do....here are the composite rankings on 247sports for the various kids: Jordan Goodwin (#50/4 star), Mark Smith (#81/4 star), French (#205/3 star), Pickett (#234/3 star). I am not sure what rankings the composite consists of, but there they are. So 247 ranks Goodwin and French higher (better) than the composite ranking (same goes for Pickett).  

5 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Don't tell me what to do....here are the composite rankings on 247sports for the various kids: Jordan Goodwin (#50/4 star), Mark Smith (#81/4 star), French (#205/3 star), Pickett (#234/3 star). I am not sure what rankings the composite consists of, but there they are. So 247 ranks Goodwin and French higher (better) than the composite ranking (same goes for Pickett).  

Just letting you know. It confused me at first how they have it shown

44 minutes ago, Billikenbooster said:

Ratings mean bupkuss..irrelevant. dont care. 

Next

The official SLU bball twitter/tweets and Ford are making a big deal about it today, so it means something to them. Agree that ratings are not the be all and end all and many of the rankings vary wildly, but it is a feather in the cap for the program and sends a message to other highly rated future recruits that we are a viable destination.

1 minute ago, ACE said:

The official SLU bball twitter/tweets and Ford are making a big deal about it today, so it means something to them. Agree that ratings are not the be all and end all and many of the rankings vary wildly, but it is a feather in the cap for the program and sends a message to other highly rated future recruits that we are a viable destination.

They are great for promoting your program.  Look at how many people are talking about Western Kentucky.

2 minutes ago, ACE said:

Exactly. Look at the attention Duke had with a pretty mediocre season just because they had a top class. Yes it is Duke but still, people had them in the championship before they even played

22 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Just letting you know. It confused me at first how they have it shown

I was just joking with the don't tell me what to do line. Do you know what rankings are included in that composite ranking? I guess it doesn't really matter.

2 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Is it correct that Khalea Turner-Morris is visiting SLU today?  I see he's from New Orleans.  Jalen Johnson is from Baton Rouge, right?  Any chance they already know each other and/or are friends?  Might Jalen be hosting Khalea?  Does that enhance SLU's chances?

Yes.

Yes.

Possibly - Same HS class in the same state (KTM took a prep year), but I can't find any evidence that they played in the same leagues, AAU tournaments, etc. Keep in mind that KTM has bounced around A LOT and JJ was at the same high school the whole time. He's also from the New Orleans area and JJ is from Baton Rouge. My guess is that they're at least familiar with one another but it might not go much further than that.

Possibly - It'd make sense to have a guy from the same region to host him. JJ is also a guy who went from unknown spring recruit to crucial rotational player after putting in work. He's got a good perspective to share a spring recruit to a team that has been totally overhauled.

Possibly - But I'd call this one the biggest stretch. They're the same age and from the same state, but like I said, I don't see evidence of anything beyond that. This would matter very little compared to other factors on his visit.

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

Yes.

Yes.

Possibly - Same HS class in the same state (KTM took a prep year), but I can't find any evidence that they played in the same leagues, AAU tournaments, etc. Keep in mind that KTM has bounced around A LOT and JJ was at the same high school the whole time. He's also from the New Orleans area and JJ is from Baton Rouge. My guess is that they're at least familiar with one another but it might not go much further than that.

Possibly - It'd make sense to have a guy from the same region to host him. JJ is also a guy who went from unknown spring recruit to crucial rotational player after putting in work. He's got a good perspective to share a spring recruit to a team that has been totally overhauled.

Possibly - But I'd call this one the biggest stretch. They're the same age and from the same state, but like I said, I don't see evidence of anything beyond that. This would matter very little compared to other factors on his visit.

Thank, Pistol, for the responses.  I was thinking that they might have only a passing familiarity, but they might also have run into one another in AAU, but that information might be hard to find.  As for whether it boosts SLU's chances, I'm hoping the "Bayou" connection adds to the "chemistry" and makes Turner-Morris feel that much more at home at SLU and want to join the family.

1 hour ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Very surprised Pickett isn't getting more attention. Offers since being released:

SLU

Indiana State

Bradley

Western Kentucky

It seems Javon has the recruited-by-Groce stink stuck to him the way Crews' recruits have a stink attached to them -- though I've always thought that might be unfair.  Plus, Roby, Bishop, and Welmer still have chances to demonstrate they can contribute at a high level in a high-major program.

1 hour ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

It seems Javon has the recruited-by-Groce stink stuck to him the way Crews' recruits have a stink attached to them -- though I've always thought that might be unfair.  Plus, Roby, Bishop, and Welmer still have chances to demonstrate they can contribute at a high level in a high-major program.

Not buying the Groce Stink issue impacting Pickett.  It's not hurting Tilmon. But I do not have any alternate scenario as to seemingly lack of high level interest in Pickett.

Roby has a very realistic chance of finishing his career as one of the Top 25 Billiken scorers of all time.  He should also be Top 10 in three's made.