Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

2 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

We don't have to be prepared for it...coaches have to be prepared for it. What you're doing is in poor taste. 

We're talking about roster spots. And we've been talking about Foremans injury. It's something that happens, not something we want but this is a completely different program. Amazing players are coming here and you guys better start getting used to other good players feeling pressure and might leave in search of playing time. Zeke and Matt leaving were given. We will be in the A10 with a B12 or B10 roster. 

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

We're talking about roster spots. And we've been talking about Foremans injury. It's something that happens, not something we want but this is a completely different program. Amazing players are coming here and you guys better start getting used to other good players feeling pressure and might leave in search of playing time. Zeke and Matt leaving were given. We will be in the A10 with a B12 or B10 roster. 

Seriously though take a lap.

2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

There is a big difference thinking a guard might leave from a roster overloaded with guards than suggesting that a legit 4 will move on from a roster that will only have 3 guys 6'8" or taller even after Gordon arrives on campus.  One of those guys hasn't even shown the ability to be an interior player.  There will be plenty of minutes for Foreman even with French and a year later Gordon on the roster.

That's where I respectfully disagree. Forehan's senior year we will have French who is higher rated out of hs and seems to be a beast in the A10, a potential all American with Gordon currently ranked 10 in the nation. Then we have Johnson as a junior with potential minutes competing at a 4 along with Welmer. 

So we have in 2018, French, Welmer, Johnson, Gordon, foreman along with obviously one other recruit it seems. Minutes will be highly competive. You have experienced bigs, vs potential NBA underclassmen. Players will want minutes. It's not crazy to think about. 6 players competing for 2 spots at a time.... someone might want to leave and I wouldn't blame them

Just now, Glorydays2013 said:

That's where I respectfully disagree. Forehan's senior year we will have French who is higher rated out of hs and seems to be a beast in the A10, a potential all American with Gordon currently ranked 10 in the nation. Then we have Johnson as a junior with potential minutes competing at a 4 along with Welmer. 

So we have in 2018, French, Welmer, Johnson, Gordon, foreman along with obviously one other recruit it seems. Minutes will be highly competive. You have experienced bigs, vs potential NBA underclassmen. Players will want minutes. It's not crazy to think about. 6 players competing for 2 spots at a time.... someone might want to leave and I wouldn't blame them

Actually Foreman was higher rated than French by both Rivals and 247 coming out of high school.  Go google some of the DJ Foreman HS highlight videos.  They will remind you a lot of the French highlight videos.  I like Johnson and Welmer brings shooting to the table, but neither is a legit true 4 that can play long stretches in the low post.

20 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Forehan's senior year we will have French who is higher rated out of hs and seems to be a beast in the A10, a potential all American with Gordon currently ranked 10 in the nation.

Is Forehan related to BackHandtheRican? 

You really want to talk about High School ratings?  How many participation ribbons did each get in Middle School? 

French seems to be a beast in the A10??  How many games did he play in the A10 to date? 

33 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Actually Foreman was higher rated than French by both Rivals and 247 coming out of high school.  Go google some of the DJ Foreman HS highlight videos.  They will remind you a lot of the French highlight videos.  I like Johnson and Welmer brings shooting to the table, but neither is a legit true 4 that can play long stretches in the low post.

I'm not saying Foreman is bad at all. All I am saying is that if tough competition for minutes arise, he will have an easier oppertunity to find playingtime elsewhere much easier than the rest. I.e. not sitting out a year. Oddly rivals didn't rank French but put him at 13 for position and espn has him as a bubble top 100 and 4*,

rivals put DJ at top 150 but at 28 for position. Espn 3* 

2 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

I'm not saying Foreman is bad at all. All I am saying is that if tough competition for minutes arise, he will have an easier oppertunity to find playingtime elsewhere much easier than the rest. I.e. not sitting out a year. Oddly rivals didn't rank French but put him at 13 for position and espn has him as a bubble top 100 and 4*,

rivals put DJ at top 150 but at 28 for position. Espn 3* 

Here is the profile for each on Rivals.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/35883

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/12921

http://247sports.com/Player/DJ-Foreman-24062?Institution=5495

http://247sports.com/player/hasahn-french-86135

ESPN

http://insider.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/evaluation/_/id/104903/dj-foreman

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/212449/hasahn-french

You weren't here to suffer through the Crews years, so you don't get to tell those of us who were how to move on or deal with new realities. All you have to know is that 2014-2016 was the Vietnam War of Billiken basketball, and you weren't drafted.

1 minute ago, hsmith19 said:

You weren't here to suffer through the Crews years, so you don't get to tell those of us who were how to move on or deal with new realities. All you have to know is that 2014-2016 was the Vietnam War of Billiken basketball, and you weren't drafted.

+1. Excellent post. 

3 minutes ago, hsmith19 said:

But I was here, and suffered through the Crews years. 

3EBB5D30-E596-42A1-AA8F-31EEB968D41E-247-000000850F46CE34.jpeg

5 minutes ago, goonaha said:

Amazing. The transfers and freshman haven't played a minute of basketball for the Billikens and some are already being ran off because SLU is so good now. Slow. your. roll. 

He's already said SLU is a lock to "dominate the A10" next year. I have a feeling the glorydays routine is going to get pretty ugly if we have a good year by any reasonable expectations (say anywhere in the top five in conference) but fall short of his surefire lock prediction of not only a conference title but a dominant one.

47 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Glorydays and 05 arguing reminds me of 05 arguing with Metz a few years ago. The difference is that 05 has gone from the young student to the few years removed from school alum. 

Are you sure its not the reincarnation of Vtime?  I'm torn between Metz or Vtime.  It's one or the other.

So, uh, 2017 recruiting....who do we want? I like Whaley, he looks like he has a decent combination of size and athleticism. Pickett would also be a good pick-up for us and seems like a plausible get.

I will also reiterate what I've mentioned in other threads, namely that Welmer was probably our best player last year and he will find a way to compete for minutes when healthy. That last part is what will hold him back the most, it seems. We definitely could use another big to round out the rotation, although the way the roster is setting up SLU will fit right into the 'new era of position-less basketball.'

1 hour ago, HoosierBilliken said:

Are you sure its not the reincarnation of Vtime?  I'm torn between Metz or Vtime.  It's one or the other.

Glorydays is neither. His grammar is too poor for a Metz and only a Wisconsin native would have such a Marquette fetish. Glorydays is a senior at SLU.