Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

7 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Anybody with a basic understanding of U.S. corporate tax rates understands that if you can do an activity on the corporate dime it is better than doing it on your own dime. I highly doubt Ford is taking his salary, letting it incrementally be taxed at 45% (federal plus state) and then choosing to go on recruiting trips (make no doubt the French trip was a recruiting trip). If money at SLU is super tight its much better to increase the recruiting budget by 100,000 than it would be for Travis to take 100,000 in pay, pay $45,000 in taxes, and then decide to go a recruiting trip with his remaining 55,000.

While you technically can't be wrong with your "he may have paid on his own dime" post, it defies all logic that it would have gone down that way. 

I would say that since Ford spent most of his time locally, I.e not traveling far, he must have had a lot of recruiting budget left over

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guessing the trip came out of the recruiting budget he and the assistants are allotted.

Talking about coaches paying for things the school should be responsible, I seem to recall, Majerus wanted to take the team to Australia/New Zealand during the summer. A kind of a homecoming for Cody & Lowe. Also, to improve recruiting connections. Bondi balked about any trip. Majerus, on his dime, took the team to Canada.

1 hour ago, kshoe said:

While you technically can't be wrong with your "he may have paid on his own dime" post, it defies all logic that it would have gone down that way. 

He may have sold his plasma or raised cash by giving out handies on the street.  We just don't know.  Anything is possible.

1 hour ago, tarheelbilliken said:

I guessing the trip came out of the recruiting budget he and the assistants are allotted.

Talking about coaches paying for things the school should be responsible, I seem to recall, Majerus wanted to take the team to Australia/New Zealand during the summer. A kind of a homecoming for Cody & Lowe. Also, to improve recruiting connections. Bondi balked about any trip. Majerus, on his dime, took the team to Canada.

-my understanding is Rick paid for part of the Canada trip, but you could be correct, in either case, I hope not the condition now

36 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-my understanding is Rick paid for part of the Canada trip, but you could be correct, in either case, I hope not the condition now

That is my recollection. I thought the school paid for the trip but RM paid for some of the extra's.

Not so Kshoe, your post means that you would never ever pay out of your own pocket, I assure you there are people that  do pay out of their own pocket. What they gain from it goes way beyond the marginal value (after taxes) of the money spent. Perhaps you do not understand this so let me try another approach: Let's say that you want to buy a fancy car, let's call it a Porsche Cayenne. Well, you look for the best price available and go ahead and buy it. What did you get for your money that you could not get buying a Volkswagen Jetta at less than 1/4 of the price of the Cayenne? You got prestige and status. This is important for a lot of people, do not try to diminish the value of prestige, you would be wrong.

Well, someone that has a job that requires him to be a leader of gifted people (athletes do qualify as gifted), needs to establish himself as a leader in the eyes of the prospective athlete, needs to get their loyalty, need them to buy into the system. You can do this by blowing off less than $1500 total in air fare, rental car, and overnight stay. You can let the kid know or indicate to him somehow that you care so much for him that you do not mind to spend your own money to go see him in person on Senior Day. This is rewarded with loyalty and with performance. Believe me there.

Money is not all there is in life, and an extra whatever percent it is you pay in taxes is a well justified price to pay in order to gain loyalty and performance from your people. Have you ever taken all your employees for dinner at some time in the year. I have participated into paying for such events and will assure you I did not get a cent of reimbursement from the company. You see, I am stupid, I really care a lot more about loyalty and performance from my people than getting the last miserable fraction of a percent I can get from the company. I hope that  Ford thinks like I do in this regard.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/twitter-tuesday-hoops-questions-answered-144733436.html

EVANS: Taking a look at the 2017 class, which programs might be primed for future March Madness runs? Five to watch:

Western Kentucky: Mitchell Robinson and Josh Anderson, two top 100 recruits with the former being a five-star big man, will immediately reserve defensive player of the year honors within Conference USA next year and thus, cause giant noise in Bowling Green.

St. Louis: Travis Ford inherited a program that displayed an empty cupboard of talent but the work that the former Oklahoma State head coach has done on the recruiting front is nothing short of impressive. Four-star wing Jordan Goodwin and blue-collared forward Hasahn French will get the Billikens back within the top portion of the Atlantic 10 Conference.

VCU: Thanks to a loaded class of four seniors, the Rams will see no dropoff in the years to come. Lavar Batts fits VCU's 'Havoc Defense' as a lead guard, while its frontcourt of Mayan Kiir, Marcus Santos-Silva and Sean Mobley all bring major value.

Northeastern: The Huskies missed the NCAA Tournament this year but the future will bring its share of chances. The gem to the four-man class is Jason Strong but he will be trailed by Derrick Cook, Tomas Murphy and Myles Franklin, each of whom should be ready to help next year.

Princeton: This season might just be the start for future runs in March. Led by Jerome Desrosiers, the Ivy League gang has a four-man recruiting class that should only add more depth to Mitch Henderson’s program.

There are rumors going around by Power Mizzou that Porter didn't sign is LOI for Washington and is thinking of going to Mizzou next year.  Not really trying to discuss the rumor but since Washington announced him as a commit and Romar talked about him, can they do that if he only signed a financial agreement and not a LOI?  Not sure if somebody knows the rules on that.  I always thought coaches and teams can't discuss players that don't sign a letter of intent.  

On 3/15/2017 at 2:11 PM, Bills_06 said:

There are rumors going around by Power Mizzou that Porter didn't sign is LOI for Washington and is thinking of going to Mizzou next year.  Not really trying to discuss the rumor but since Washington announced him as a commit and Romar talked about him, can they do that if he only signed a financial agreement and not a LOI?  Not sure if somebody knows the rules on that.  I always thought coaches and teams can't discuss players that don't sign a letter of intent.  

Usually when a coach leaves a school, fall signees are released from their letter of intent but usually not until the new coach is named giving him a chance to convince the player to stay.

Just now, Glorydays2013 said:

Anyone good on the Simien team that beat Edwardsville? Anyone we are recruiting on that team and the team Vashon is playing against? STL Sports is very poor on information for high school

Are you talking about Simeon from Chicago? You don't expect them to keep Simeon's stats do you?

7 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Reece and McKinney. 

Good shot at both, I think. 

Really? ?

27 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I'm sure you will tell me if it's not true 

I'll just say I think it's a little to early to make that claim.  They both will be playing AAU ball this summer and I think they will garner more offers.  Mario has 8...Reece has 3.  If they are high on SLUH's list of kids they are going after..building a relationship with them needs to start sooner than later.

1 hour ago, Coach314 said:

Really? ?

I'll just say I think it's a little to early to make that claim.  They both will be playing AAU ball this summer and I think they will garner more offers.  Mario has 8...Reece has 3.  If they are high on SLUH's list of kids they are going after..building a relationship with them needs to start sooner than later.

Are they going to transfer high schools? ;)

7 hours ago, Coach314 said:

Really? ?

Coach 314 you do not post a lot but when you do it is always good information, I always appreciate your posts and reading what you think.

Happy Friday.