Recruiting - 2016

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think some people realize how good Tatum really is. He is better than Larry was at the same stage.

Brian.

Even if you are correct that JT is ahead of where Larry was years ago, there is no one player (much less a Freshman) who can single handedly turn an average to good team into a National Championship contender. A much better team? yes. An NCAA Tourney team? yes. A National Champion? No. Larry Hughes was great for us, scored 40 ppg on several occasions and helped get us to the second round of the NCAA Tournament but we were no where close to being a National Championship contender? Flying under the radar, winning games without the pressure, having a player who is really good or gets really hot and carries the team is one thing. Being a known quantity and the the favorite, being game planned against..., sorry but no one player can do this -- not even Michael Jordan or Lebron James. Basketball is still a team game and 3 top of the line players are needed to win championships. 2 top of the line players gets you close. 1 doesn't get you all that far.

Brian.

Even if you are correct that JT is ahead of where Larry was years ago, there is no one player (much less a Freshman) who can single handedly turn an average to good team into a National Championship contender. A much better team? yes. An NCAA Tourney team? yes. A National Champion? No.

Shabazz Napier

I think the team will be a tournament team with or without Tatum his freshman year. Tatum would be coming to a better program than Larry did and he is a better player than Larry. That can make you a contender.

Not saying we will be among the favorites, but Tatum is the kind of player that would give an already good team a chance.

Larry was an unstoppable force but he was much easier to game plan for. He was a scorer who needed the ball. While he was by far he best player on the floor in the UK game, they were still able to stop us.

Tatum can be much much more. With his passing, ballhandling, vision, and ability to score inside and out he is a much harder player to contain. agree with Brian, a better supporting cast, which we hope we will develop and have, he gives us a shot at a final four berth.

Larry was an unstoppable force but he was much easier to game plan for. He was a scorer who needed the ball. While he was by far he best player on the floor in the UK game, they were still able to stop us.

Tatum can be much much more. With his passing, ballhandling, vision, and ability to score inside and out he is a much harder player to contain. agree with Brian, a better supporting cast, which we hope we will develop and have, he gives us a shot at a final four berth.

Let's land him first before we make our reservations for the Final 4.

I don't think we'll land Tatum, but I also don't think it's a long shot that we will land him. In fact, it wouldn't shock me at all if we did.

What is the goal for a one year player in college? I would think there are numerous goals: winning a national championship, exposure, playing tough competition, atmosphere, etc. But, like many have said, playing at home and playing for a school he has the most comfort with, has to factor in huge. Plus the connection with Larry and his Dad. He would also be the BIGGEST fish in the pond by far at SLU as opposed to these other schools. He would be surrounded by a talented team, even if's not one of the top talented teams. The A10 has been a very good conference in recent years. If you're the top player in the country, you'll get the exposure anywhere you play. But, let's not kid ourselves, it's also about his future and MONEY. If he is good enough to be a high draft pick, there is a difference in pay in terms of where you are drafted.

In this past draft, there was over a $400k difference per year between the #1 pick and the #2 pick. There was a $900k difference between #1 and #3. There was a $1.2M difference per year between #1 and #4. Should a player drop to draft pick #6 or #7, there could be about a $2M difference per year. I would think money would have to play a big part in this decision. So, would him vastly standing out more on a very good team be better for him in the draft or would he be better off on a team with other stellar players if not lottery picks themselves? Larry was drafted #8 on a team that won't be as good as the team Justin will play on and if Jason is better than Larry, could he be a Top 3 draft pick? If so, there have been (21) different teams that have produced a top 3 draft pick over the past 10 years.

2005 – Utah, North Carolina, Illinois

2006 – Italy, Texas, Gonzaga

2007 – Ohio State, Texas, Florida

2008 – Memphis, Kansas State, USC

2009 – Oklahoma, Connecticut, Arizona State

2010 – Kentucky, Ohio State, Georgia Tech

2011 – Duke, Arizona, Kentucky

2012 – Kentucky, Kentucky, Florida

2013 – UNLV, Indiana, Georgetown

2014 – Kansas, Duke, Kansas

Brian.

Even if you are correct that JT is ahead of where Larry was years ago, there is no one player (much less a Freshman) who can single handedly turn an average to good team into a National Championship contender. A much better team? yes. An NCAA Tourney team? yes. A National Champion? No. Larry Hughes was great for us, scored 40 ppg on several occasions and helped get us to the second round of the NCAA Tournament but we were no where close to being a National Championship contender? Flying under the radar, winning games without the pressure, having a player who is really good or gets really hot and carries the team is one thing. Being a known quantity and the the favorite, being game planned against..., sorry but no one player can do this -- not even Michael Jordan or Lebron James. Basketball is still a team game and 3 top of the line players are needed to win championships. 2 top of the line players gets you close. 1 doesn't get you all that far.

Larry Byrd came pretty damn close.

Larry did not have a good supporting cast at all. Pretty amazing he basically single-handedly carried that team to the Dance. A hypothetical Jayson Tatum-led Billiken team would have a much better supporting cast than Larry had.

I think the team will be a tournament team with or without Tatum his freshman year. Tatum would be coming to a better program than Larry did and he is a better player than Larry. That can make you a contender.

Not saying we will be among the favorites, but Tatum is the kind of player that would give an already good team a chance.

I agree. The team that Tatum would be coming into should be better than the team that Larry walked into. If Cook comes as well, you have a better freshman combo there than we had with Larry and Justin. Larry's team made it to the Round of 32 and hung with Kentucky. JT's SLU team, if it happens, has the potential to be much better than that one.

Agree with what you said except for one thing. Larry was the best player on the floor in the UK game, but Heinrich played the best that day. I remember thinking that if played that way all the time, we would have had a much different season that year.

Agree with what you said except for one thing. Larry was the best player on the floor in the UK game, but Heinrich played the best that day. I remember thinking that if played that way all the time, we would have had a much different season that year.

SLU had the whole staff there to see Tatum and Cook today. I like that very much.

Edit: sorry didn't see the above post in time.

According to Ben W., the entire coaching staff was at FBJT and Cook's workout yesterday and are making them their top priority. I could be wrong, but I don't think they would do that if they thought landing them as a long shot.

Depends on how you classify "long shot"

Is 10 percent chance a long shot?

What about 20 percent?

SLU had the whole staff there to see Tatum and Cook today. I like that very much.

Edit: sorry didn't see the above post in time.

I really like having CC in the recruiting mix for FBJT. Assuming he plays only one year in college, where could he have a better tutor during that one year than CC? I don't think KA, KY or Duke have a coach like that, who can actually get out on the court and show how to do things at a PF position. I like FBJT looking over at the coaches watching him workout and seeing the Big Ten all-time scoring leader representing his hometown University.

I agree. The team that Tatum would be coming into should be better than the team that Larry walked into. If Cook comes as well, you have a better freshman combo there than we had with Larry and Justin. Larry's team made it to the Round of 32 and hung with Kentucky. JT's SLU team, if it happens, has the potential to be much better than that one.

I don't recall us hanging w/ KY. I think we lost by 20+.