Recruiting - 2016

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to say but RM hated the idea of finishing 2nd on a prospect. I'm not saying that Crews likes the idea but he may be more willing to take that chance and in doing so put more effort into Tatum than RM would have.

I think RM would take the same approach as JC. We keep getting listed as a finalist he's gonna hang in there. RM also had good contacts in the NBA that he might use, ie Rivers and Karl come to mind. I'm hoping CCs the point man with JT, since JT knows he's a one and doner.

Note that I said COMPETE for a National Championship, not win.

Compete for a National Championship = Make the Final 4

People have different allegiances to their home town, so their answers are going to differ, but I perceive the experience of taking a hometown team to their first ever Final 4 as being preferable to winning a national title with a traditional power that was the preseason favorite.

As long as Jayson can see himself getting to the Final 4 with the current SLU sophomores and freshmen, SLU is the favorite.

So much hinges on how these prospects develop this season. They don't need to make the dance, but they do need to improve as the season goes on and provide reason for optimism.

re: Larry Hughes comparisons

When Larry played, elite players were mostly sticking around college 2-4 years. Having a top 5 recruit in 2014 is a much bigger advantage in the current landscape than it was in 1997.

Additionally, Larry did not have a supporting cast of seasoned upperclassmen in place upon his arrival. The verdict is still out on the would be Jr and Sr classes for 2016-17, but there is a chance that Jayson Tatum could have a loaded supporting cast waiting for him on day 1 if even half of these prospects pan out.

As a program, SLU proved that you can build a Top 10 type team here. It's not easy, but not impossible like it is at a majority of the 300+ D1 programs. So it is not that far-fetched that SLU could make a Final Four (see Butler, VCU and Wichita State).

I'm surprised you don't see a few more elite recruits break away from the norm and take on the challenge of trying to lead a "mid major." I think one of the reasons you don't is the peer pressure. If they pick a program not perceived to be "big time" they will face questions from friends, family and various AAU handlers. I recall Evans saying at the Billiken banquet that a lot of his friends were asking him why he chose SLU - at the time not a program on the national radar with the casual fan. I know DE did not enter college as an "elite" recruit, but even he faced a certain amount of peer pressure. Fortunately for us, he was not a tool and took on the challenge of really building something special here, not just simply seeking a basketball factory.

I wish more elite recruits weren't such sheep by just be another blue-chipper heading to Kentucky. Don't be afraid to be different.

-it is all speculation so not sure anyone can be wrong or right but I somewhat agree with '72 and the somewhat being I think Rick would have used, not might have, any advantage in recruiting a player as special as FBJT and NBA connections would have been used to whatever extent they could, if they could

-i think Rick would have recruited FBJT as aggressively, or even more, than we are, a local very special player, the SLU connections, gosh I have to believe Rick would have seen that and been on him, I agree on Rick's take on finishing second, but he wouldn't finish second on this one, neither will Coach Crews

I think Crews actively attends Tatum's games a lot more than Rick would've. Obviously this could've been for health reasons. But Crews himself has definitely been more active in the recruitment of a kid than Rick generally was, which I think might help with Tatum.

I think Crews actively attends Tatum's games a lot more than Rick would've. Obviously this could've been for health reasons. But Crews himself has definitely been more active in the recruitment of a kid than Rick generally was, which I think might help with Tatum.

And that still isn't enough according to his father.

I think RM would take the same approach as JC. We keep getting listed as a finalist he's gonna hang in there. RM also had good contacts in the NBA that he might use, ie Rivers and Karl come to mind. I'm hoping CCs the point man with JT, since JT knows he's a one and doner.

What good did those NBA contacts do?

I remember it being 46-18 at the half.

I think he means for about 3 minutes after it started. They shut down Hughes but Heinrich scored in double digits that day. They went on to win it all but SLU still has an all time winning record vs. UK. One of the few schools in the country. I think the record is 9-8 last victory is a few decades ago so we're due which is probably why they duck us.

I think he means for about 3 minutes after it started. They shut down Hughes but Heinrich scored in double digits that day. They went on to win it all but SLU still has an all time winning record vs. UK. One of the few schools in the country. I think the record is 9-8 last victory is a few decades ago so we're due which is probably why they duck us.

It's too bad Heinrich could never duplicate the performance against teams that weren't destined for the national championship or in a game that was actually close.

I am not so sure. RM did things his way, on his terms, etc. Hard to believe that RM would take his entire staff to watch a kid. I just don't recall RM ever doing this. Now, to be fair, if there is a kid who deserves the whole staff, then it appears to be Tatum. And during RM's tenure, it would have been Beal, but if I recall correctly, he wanted to leave to town and we were never really a possibility for him so RM would not take his whole staff. And with Tatum being a local kid,- and with Cook as a teammate - why not? In essence, this is really just another staff meeting. I assume JC takes his staff out for meetings -- for instance, to lunch, for beers, for coffee -- why not at Chaminade's gym?

Future Billiken Jayson Tatum has moved up to the #1 spot on ESPN's recruiting rankings.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/videos/_/id/171069/jayson-tatum

And if you click on recruiting activity....Ohio St, UConn, UCLA, and NC State are on the short list.

ESPN cant even keep halfway truthful/updated on the number 1 recruit in the country...joke.

And if you click on recruiting activity....Ohio St, UConn, UCLA, and NC State are on the short list.

ESPN cant even keep halfway truthful/updated on the number 1 recruit in the country...joke.

Even worse than who is listed is who is NOT listed-hint: the school has a very unusual mascot and has been mentioned often by FBJT.

@TjRushing: Other schools showing real interest in United Township's 6'4'' G Jerry Myles (IL, 2016); Purdue, Central Michigan & St. Louis @PrepHoopsIL

@OfficialHDHoops: Central Arkansas will be by to see 2016 @OfficialHDHoops Wing @MalikDow today. Also has interest from Morehead, St. Louis and Army.

@phillipshoops: Kansas, Michigan & Saint Louis expected to see Barrington 2016 forward Rapolas Ivanauskas next week, per Sean Connor. Quickly rising.

@NextUpRecruits: 2016 SG Clayton Hughes(TN) has received heavy interest from Miss St & St. Louis. He will be at UVA's elite camp on Sat.

@ClaymaneeeeYooo

@phillipshoops: Kansas, Michigan & Saint Louis expected to see Barrington 2016 forward Rapolas Ivanauskas next week, per Sean Connor. Quickly rising.

@NextUpRecruits: 2016 SG Clayton Hughes(TN) has received heavy interest from Miss St & St. Louis. He will be at UVA's elite camp on Sat.

@ClaymaneeeeYooo

What's encouraging about all these reports is that we must have our staff all over the place recruiting. Good job Crews crew.

According to this article Coach Crews saw Tatum again last Wednesday. Of course, at the time that didn't get as much attention as Jim Groce and Coach K from the locals.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/high-school/recruiting/nation-s-blue-blood-call-on-tatum-eiu-cleans-up/article_48d995e2-45d0-11e4-9840-001a4bcf6878.html