Recruiting - 2016

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't remember seeing it posted, but if anyone was curious about Charlie Moore, he narrowed his list down to 8 finalists: SMU, LSU, Miami, Cal, Illinois, Georgia Tech, WKU, and UNLV. I think he has one more visit and will make his decision. One of the best remaining 2016 players out there.

I don't remember seeing it posted, but if anyone was curious about Charlie Moore, he narrowed his list down to 8 finalists: SMU, LSU, Miami, Cal, Illinois, Georgia Tech, WKU, and UNLV. I think he has one more visit and will make his decision. One of the best remaining 2016 players out there.

That is a really odd list. A wide variety of conferences and geographic locations.

While some of the MSU people on Twitter seemed to be fine with him leaving, as he didn't produce much there, this is someone who I would love to see in a SLU uniform. His high school highlights are quite impressive, showing him dunk over quite a few unlucky players. While athleticism doesn't always translate to great production (ie: AY) he would be a good fit to pair with the other transfers coming in. Having 3 guys come in who have played at higher levels, and in the case of Foreman and Henriquez have played to a degree of success, would be a tremendous benefit in 2017 and in practice this season. Would love to see Ford close the deal.

I'm thinking this may be the case.

I agree - Ford may have told the kid that he was not interested anymore so he could go after someone else. That is the problem these guys have when they string it out - there are so many things going on the situation changes quickly. Time will tell.

I agree - Ford may have told the kid that he was not interested anymore so he could go after someone else. That is the problem these guys have when they string it out - there are so many things going on the situation changes quickly. Time will tell.

Exactly...

I have no inside information whatsoever but the "we stopped recruiting him" argument always seems to be made when a player is lost and fans still have a lot of faith in the coach. That may have been the case here but it's also possible we just lost to the hometown school and better team over the past two years.

I have no inside information whatsoever but the "we stopped recruiting him" argument always seems to be made when a player is lost and fans still have a lot of faith in the coach. That may have been the case here but it's also possible we just lost to the hometown school and better team over the past two years.

I agree typically with you and would not put any stock into we stopped recruiting but the pelican basically confirmed it and he seems to be one of the few in the know.

I agree typically with you and would not put any stock into we stopped recruiting but the pelican basically confirmed it and he seems to be one of the few in the know.

I hear you and also have come to trust what the pelican and da love have to say when it comes to inside info. If we end up landing Jenkins then the story will hold water, if not ford either made a major miscalculation or we didn't really stop recruiting bess.

OK guys, let's do some math here. Not counting any additional committments, we have a full complement of 13 scholarships already given. Since we have 2 new transfer redshirts that means we have eleven players under scholarship for next season. The team is under strength for next season.

It gets worse, out of the eleven scholarship players we have for next year, two are freshmen out of high school without a single D1 game under their belt. That leaves us with 9 players in the team. One of these nine players, Welmer, never played a single game last year because of injury. So as good as he may be Welmer must be taken as another freshman player, worse he is coming out of an injury that sidelined him last year. What this means is that we have 3 players in the "newby" category, they may be good, or they may need development, perhaps lots of development, time will tell. We really cannot count upon these three to be a resounding success, although I will agree some or all of these kids may favorably surprise us.

So, now, we have 8 experienced players left for next season. Three of these suffered from chronic soft tissue injuries, have had surgery, or broke a foot after only a partial season of play. Two of them, Crawford and Bartley, are demonstrably decent players but their performance next season will by force of nature, depend upon the degree of recovery from their injuries they have had by next season. Both Crawford and Bartley have ongoing soft tissue injuries that are extremely difficult to resolve entirely without prolongued rest and rehab. Crawford also had surgery on the other leg making his full recovery even less of a certainty. Then there is Gilmann, his fracture is most likely totally healed, but given the timing of his fracture, fairly early in his first season, he is likely to require extensive development work as well, he is essentially another "newby" as far as what we can reasonably expect from him. What this means is that we cannot count on these players to be the stars of the team and carry it on their shoulders to victory in a consistent fashion.

So, now we have 5 experienced players left without injury: Neufeld, Agbeko, Hines, Roby, and Bishop. These players all have different strenghts and weaknesses but they can engage in full play. However, it is not reasonable to think that a core team made out of these players can go very far next season.

Therefore the situation as it stands now is the following: Let's suppose that we get a commitment from a highly desirable transfer player (like Bess). Since he will have to redshirt next year, the situation with the team becomes worse, not better, for next year. We would have to eliminate someone out of the roster, who would that be? At the level of fairly certain, expected level of proficiency in play from the current team members we would take a huge hit if we eliminated another player for a redshirt for next season. It is true that in following seasons the team will be stronger, but this coming season we will be blown out of the court with what we have available for play after eliminating yet another player from the active roster.

This situation does not apply if we are manage to get a new commitment from someone that will play next season and who is highly ranked, however we will shoot ourselves in the foot if we accept another transfer redshirt for next year.

I know some of you will say that real macho players and macho coaches will take this as a normal event and manage to play our way to victory. Good for you, you have faith, I do not. As is right now we are facing a Crews level of magnitude disaster for next season. The magnitude of the disaster will only be made worse by getting another transfer redshirt player in the rolls. I hope I am wrong here. I will wait for your comments ripping me to shreds for saying such heresy.

OK guys, let's do some math here. Not counting any additional committments, we have a full complement of 13 scholarships already given. Since we have 2 new transfer redshirts that means we have eleven players under scholarship for next season. The team is under strength for next season.

It gets worse, out of the eleven scholarship players we have for next year, two are freshmen out of high school without a single D1 game under their belt. That leaves us with 9 players in the team. One of these nine players, Welmer, never played a single game last year because of injury. So as good as he may be Welmer must be taken as another freshman player, worse he is coming out of an injury that sidelined him last year. What this means is that we have 3 players in the "newby" category, they may be good, or they may need development, perhaps lots of development, time will tell. We really cannot count upon these three to be a resounding success, although I will agree some or all of these kids may favorably surprise us.

So, now, we have 8 experienced players left for next season. Three of these suffered from chronic soft tissue injuries, have had surgery, or broke a foot after only a partial season of play. Two of them, Crawford and Bartley, are demonstrably decent players but their performance next season will by force of nature, depend upon the degree of recovery from their injuries they have had by next season. Both Crawford and Bartley have ongoing soft tissue injuries that are extremely difficult to resolve entirely without prolongued rest and rehab. Crawford also had surgery on the other leg making his full recovery even less of a certainty. Then there is Gilmann, his fracture is most likely totally healed, but given the timing of his fracture, fairly early in his first season, he is likely to require extensive development work as well, he is essentially another "newby" as far as what we can reasonably expect from him. What this means is that we cannot count on these players to be the stars of the team and carry it on their shoulders to victory in a consistent fashion.

So, now we have 5 experienced players left without injury: Neufeld, Agbeko, Hines, Roby, and Bishop. These players all have different strenghts and weaknesses but they can engage in full play. However, it is not reasonable to think that a core team made out of these players can go very far next season.

Therefore the situation as it stands now is the following: Let's suppose that we get a commitment from a highly desirable transfer player (like Bess). Since he will have to redshirt next year, the situation with the team becomes worse, not better, for next year. We would have to eliminate someone out of the roster, who would that be? At the level of fairly certain, expected level of proficiency in play from the current team members we would take a huge hit if we eliminated another player for a redshirt for next season. It is true that in following seasons the team will be stronger, but this coming season we will be blown out of the court with what we have available for play after eliminating yet another player from the active roster.

This situation does not apply if we are manage to get a new commitment from someone that will play next season and who is highly ranked, however we will shoot ourselves in the foot if we accept another transfer redshirt for next year.

I know some of you will say that real macho players and macho coaches will take this as a normal event and manage to play our way to victory. Good for you, you have faith, I do not. As is right now we are facing a Crews level of magnitude disaster for next season. The magnitude of the disaster will only be made worse by getting another transfer redshirt player in the rolls. I hope I am wrong here. I will wait for your comments ripping me to shreds for saying such heresy.

Literally everyone understands next year will suck.... Who cares. It's the following year most of us care about. Stop worrying about next year, we literally will suck regardless.

Old Guy, next year is going to stink no matter what. And we aren't going to land a high impact freshman that can play next year. So stop worrying about whether we are building a roster that can win 13 games (instead of 10-11) and whether we can build a roster for 2017-18 that can win 20 or more.

If we get another commitment, Hines just goes back to being a walk-on. It really isn't that complicated. People need to give the kid more credit. He's smart enough to know the scholly was quite likely temporary.

As for expecting a high level contributing player who can play right away... at this point I think that ship has sailed but I could be wrong.

We will be bad again next year. But can't be much worse than 14-15.