Recruiting - 2016

Pro tip: Don't listen to sports talk radio. You'll be more at peace without the sounds of bloated morons screaming nonsense at each other in your life. If you still crave sports content, there's plenty of good stuff out there to read.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who dislike Bernie, think about what proceeded him at 101. Mike and Mike is the worst show on the radio. Non stop Lebron talk from a former NFL player is nauseating.

Fair point, but Bernie pretending to know more about college b-ball than the average MBM is pretty similar to Golic talking about anything other than the NFL.

Not sure where all this trashing of BM is coming from. Seems like many have forgotten that it was Bernie being a thorn in Biondi's behind that probably got Biondi to build the arena and to hire RM. Bernie was very critical of Biondi and raked him over the coals all the time. I figure that without Bernie sticking it to Biondi we would still be playing at the hockey arena and BS would still be the coach. Lighten up.

Not sure where all this trashing of BM is coming from. Seems like many have forgotten that it was Bernie being a thorn in Biondi's behind that probably got Biondi to build the arena and to hire RM. Bernie was very critical of Biondi and raked him over the coals all the time. I figure that without Bernie sticking it to Biondi we would still be playing at the hockey arena and BS would still be the coach. Lighten up.

I don't mind Bernie. I just don't like that he's making up on his radio show.

Correct, Bernie was correct in being critical of Biondi and he was extremely positive about the program during the Majerus era. Also agreed with earlier point that it is great that any member of the local media is talking SLU hoops in May. I hope he is a fan of Ford's and touts the program.

On an unrelated topic, Bernie this morning referred to posters on this Board who didn't want T Ford as the new coach. I guess that confirms that he does read Billikens, com.

if you go back to the thread "Not Renewing Season Tickets", skim through the first two pages. These MBM's were certainly not on board with Ford. SLUDrew, Billyboy, Moytoy12, slufan13 and billiken-roy. I stopped at skimming the thread after two pages and didn't go back to any other threads, but likely could triple or quadrupled this list.

How many are now on board? Bernie isn't wrong on his comment.

I don't mind Bernie. I just don't like that he's making ###### up on his radio show.

That's kind of the basis of his show - constructing straw man arguments and blowing social media/message board comments way out of proportion. And I say that as someone who likes Bernie.

if you go back to the thread "Not Renewing Season Tickets", skim through the first two pages. These MBM's were certainly not on board with Ford. SLUDrew, Billyboy, Moytoy12, slufan13 and billiken-roy. I stopped at skimming the thread after two pages and didn't go back to any other threads, but likely could triple or quadrupled this list.

No remember I wasn't on board until Milik left?

You can add me to that list. I was critical and then kind of came around after considering where our roster and program is, but there are certainly comments from me questioning the hire (although I already stopped getting tickets last summer, so I am not sure whether I would have posted in that thread). Ford just seems like the polar opposite of Majerus, doesn't mean he can't have success here. These two commitments don't change my concerns at all though and it sounds like that was the basis of Bernie's argument with himself. I think his prior argument was how SLU fans were expecting Coach K, Izzo, or Self and were disappointed because we did not hire one of the elite coaches in the game which was complete nonsense.

How can anyone, who wasn't on board at first, be completely on board with the hire until we are at least a few seasons into this hire or at least one fall recruiting period in?

I don't think anyone on your list of not on board posters ever said Ford can't recruit and won't upgrade the talent level of our roster. I think everyone believed that Ford could and would upgrade our roster.

Our knock on Ford was what he has always historically done with his roster as he has underachieved pretty much at each stop.

At this point Ford appears to have indeed began changing the roster in the right direction. And I believe that will continue. But what we don't know and won't know for a number of seasons is what he will do with his roster. I contend it might be 5 years before we know if he's the right guy simply because the roster he inherited was the worst since Ekkertime. So I personally won't hold him accountable for 4-5 years.

We all have no choice but to wait and see. At least the ride the next 4-5 years will be more encouraging than what we just went through the last two seasons under the helm of HoosierPal'so hero, Jim Crews.

My skepticism of how high Ford can take us makes a heck of a lot more sense than HoosierPal's defense of Crews. We all now see that defense was borderline insane.

Ford succeeding more than a middle of the pack A10 coach has yet to be seen. I hope I'm wrong and we are back in the national top 25 very soon. Nothing would be better.

BTW, I've been told By Althoff folk, Ford is personally making Goodwin a priority. But that said any success with Jordan Goodwin is all his but I am afraid Crews f'd that up beyond repair. A player(s) with Goodwin talent would go a long way to getting ford over the "wait and see" skepticism us mbm's still harbor.

I like Bernie and appreciated the attention he gave SLU during the Majerus years. It's one thing to spend hours berating message board strawmen about a sport he actually knows (like he's been doing for years with Cards Talk), but his college b-ball "analysis" is objectively terrible. So there's not much redeeming quality when he runs for weeks with this storyline that SLU fans expected to get Tom Izzo instead of Travis Ford.

You can add my name to the list and even though coach Ford's body of work is been impressive so far I wanted Drew or Ingelsby first before coach Ford. My problem with coach Ford has been his underachieving teams and I thought SLU could do better. What I did not know about coach Ford is his good personality and his energy. His body of work in the short term and his personality has changed my opinion of the hire and I am excited to see what coach Ford can do in games with this group. The coach Ford hiring is nothing like the Rick Majerus hiring, everyone knew that coach Majerus would take Billiken basketball to a high level. Note to Bernie, Izzo is not equal to Drew or Inglesby.

I like Bernie and appreciated the attention he gave SLU during the Majerus years. It's one thing to spend hours berating message board strawmen about a sport he actually knows (like he's been doing for years with Cards Talk), but his college b-ball "analysis" is objectively terrible. So there's not much redeeming quality when he runs for weeks with this storyline that SLU fans expected to get Tom Izzo instead of Travis Ford.

Bernie never really hyped SLU during the Majerus years until the very end. I remember the day after the Xavier home game in 2012 (what turned out be Majerus' last game at Chaifetz) Bernie talked about how he watched it on TV and it was (paraphrasing) the first time SLU has played this well against a good team in a long time and previous to this they just weren't worth watching.

He did start attending games the following year, and he has stated his reasons for not attending games during Majerus tenure...never really made sense to me. If he's your friend, you support him...but I can understand being conflicted/uncomfortable being in a position where it's your job to be critical of a friend.

I appreciate Bernie's contribution to sports analysis in the region, but he's hardly a friend of the SLU program.

Safe to say we are hoping higher regarded recruits will rule the day in the A-10, in a way they can't in the Big 12. The level of our competition will mask some of Ford's coaching flaws, if he's bringing in similar-ish talent

Well said.

Safe to say we are hoping higher regarded recruits will rule the day in the A-10, in a way they can't in the Big 12. The level of our competition will mask some of Ford's coaching flaws, if he's bringing in similar-ish talent

I'm hoping for this. Also perhaps the A-10 coaches are not be as good at "coaching" as Big 12 guys, so the disadvantage Ford has will not be as great. OK State fans really rip on Ford for his questionable coaching ability. If you search his name on twitter you'll see numerous jokes about a questionable decision by Billy Donovan (OKC Thunder head coach) being worse than Travis Ford. Hopefully, with more experience / hindsight Ford becomes a better " coach" as well.

The biggest reason I am still wary is that Ford seemed to have the same strengths and weaknesses the first time he was in the A10 (and even back when he was at Eastern Kentucky to some extent). I hope his coaching ability has improved since he was at UMass, because having two future NBAers and failing to make the NCAAs even once is not the kind of outcome anybody should be considering acceptable. I still don't really understand how he got the OK State job, outside of the Kentucky pedigree.

-one item about Coach Ford that I am questioning is trying to reconcile his statement of wanting to be up tempo but his team's tempo rating only being below 149 three times at OkSt, last year with injuries in the backcourt I get, the others, not so much, and the quickest tempo was his first year where I guess it was mostly Sutton's players

-but if we win, I won't care