Recruiting - 2016

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pistol's write-up about Johnson:

Jalen Johnson: SF, 6-7, 195, Baton Rouge, LA (University)Offers: SLU, Richmond, Clemson, South Carolina, Southern Miss, South Florida, UTEP, Tulane, FIU, Buffalo, UT-Martin, Southeastern Louisiana, Southern. Interest: Arkansas, LSU, Alabama, Ole Miss, Baylor, Houston, Rice, Murray State, Louisiana Tech, Furman. Latest News: Johnson picked up offers from Southern Miss, UTEP, and SLU in April. Scouting Report: Johnson is an athletic high-scoring lefty who scores in a variety of ways and rebounds well on the defensive end. He’s a solid but limited defender who also needs to crash the offensive boards more. Johnson was named Outstanding Player of the 3A all-state basketball team after leading University to its third straight Louisiana state title. Twitter: @He_WasntReady20

Evan Daniels @EvanDaniels 17s17 seconds ago Kentucky, USA

2016 forward Jalen Johnson told Scout he just verbally committed to Travis Ford and St. Louis. Played for New Orleans Elite on AAU circuit.

Nice get. Had offers from SLU, Richmond, Clemson, South Carolina, Southerm Miss, South Florida, UTEP, Tulane, and a handful of others. He's a gamer. Led his team to three consecutive 3A Louisiana state championships. 6-7, 195 lbs., left handed. Athletic kid, scores a lot, has really improved as a defensive rebounder.

I like his quote from a year ago, when asked what kind of school he'll choose: "Well one, the coach has got to love me and my game. And then it’s just the academics because I want to go into broadcast journalism. Also the school vibe has to be good. It has to be a good school without violations or NCAA stuff to worry about." That appeared on LSU's Scout page, which is just delightful.

So all our scholarships are used up for next year right? And we still have a transfer coming in for a visit this weekend?

1. Crawford

2. Agbeko

3. Jolly

4. Gillmann

5. Roby

6. Bartley

7. Neufeld

8. Bishop

9. Welmer

10. Moore

11. Hines

12. Foreman

13. Johnson

So all our scholarships are used up for next year right? And we still have a transfer coming in for a visit this weekend?

On paper, yes. But he could still use Hines' scholarship, I suppose.

Ideally, Jolly would announce his transfer today.

Adonys Henriquez is the player coming in this weekend.

Here is what Pistol had on him, another nice fit on paper:

Jalen Johnson: SF, 6-7, 195, Baton Rouge, LA (University)Offers: SLU, Richmond, Clemson, South Carolina, Southern Miss, South Florida, UTEP, Tulane, FIU, Buffalo, UT-Martin, Southeastern Louisiana, Southern. Interest: Arkansas, LSU, Alabama, Ole Miss, Baylor, Houston, Rice, Murray State, Louisiana Tech, Furman. Latest News: Johnson picked up offers from Southern Miss, UTEP, and SLU in April. Scouting Report: Johnson is an athletic high-scoring lefty who scores in a variety of ways and rebounds well on the defensive end. He’s a solid but limited defender who also needs to crash the offensive boards more. Johnson was named Outstanding Player of the 3A all-state basketball team after leading University to its third straight Louisiana state title. Twitter: @He_WasntReady20

And an article VeniceMenace posted about him:

http://theadvocate.com/sports/latestsports/15388657-154/university-highs-jalen-johnson-earns-top-3a-honor

Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDaniels 17s17 seconds ago Kentucky, USA

2016 forward Jalen Johnson told Scout he just verbally committed to Travis Ford and St. Louis. Played for New Orleans Elite on AAU circuit.

Wow! On paper that looks like one of a hell of a pick up, considering Ford has only been on the job for about a month. VerbalCommits has him listed as a top 150 (#144) and one of the 10 best unsigned players. Now let's find a way to get the UCF transfer and this would shape up to be a very promising first recruiting class.

If you recall there were some folks who thought there was no chance to get anything done this spring. This shows that if you hire a coach in a timely manner and get somebody who knows how to recruit a bit, you can at least begin the rebuild in a timely manner. RM did not have this benefit because he was hired so late in the process.

Nice get. Had offers from SLU, Richmond, Clemson, South Carolina, Southerm Miss, South Florida, UTEP, Tulane, and a handful of others. He's a gamer. Led his team to three consecutive 3A Louisiana state championships. 6-7, 195 lbs., left handed. Athletic kid, scores a lot, has really improved as a defensive rebounder.

I like his quote from a year ago, when asked what kind of school he'll choose: "Well one, the coach has got to love me and my game. And then it’s just the academics because I want to go into broadcast journalism. Also the school vibe has to be good. It has to be a good school without violations or NCAA stuff to worry about." That appeared on LSU's Scout page, which is just delightful.

That would pretty much rule out the entire SEC outside of Vandy.

The next JJ! And the other Jalen Johnson plays for Tennessee

Obviously Jordair is the first JJ that pops into people's heads now, but SLU has a somewhat mixed history with JJs:

Good:

Jordair Jett - 2010-14 - A-10 POY, 1,239 career points, 3 NCAA tournaments, all time great Billiken.

Jamal Johnson - 1995-96 - averaged 12.9 ppg and 7.1 rpg in his lone season with SLU.

Bad:

Justin Johnson - 2003-07 - mediocre Soderberg-era big man who I always felt never lived up to his potential, but in reality he probably just wasn't very good.

John Jones - 1957-59 - I have no idea about him, but his stats 1.7 ppg in 25 total games are unimpressive.

Justin Jordan - 2009-10 - small guard who was a decent 3 point shooter in his lone year with SLU. He figured prominently in "the situation" that cast a shadow over the program.

Jack Joyce - 1929-30 - The first ever JJ at SLU. The stats from the 1920s are suspect. According the the records he played 20 games and scored 38 total points, but somehow averaged 6.9 ppg. Figure that one out.

Here's hoping that Jalen will fall into the good category when all is said and done.

Ford not only landed Johnson, he also handed out cookies to the students today. The man does it all.

No idea since I only see stuff that comes across on social media and maybe this is just the honeymoon period, but Ford seems way more engaged with the University as a whole and the local media than Crews ever was.

I can't recall seeing a single campus / University related thing outside of basketball involving Crews and his media interviews were fairly limited as well. Ford seems to be all over the place and has already made the rounds on the local sports talk radio shows.

No idea since I only see stuff that comes across on social media and maybe this is just the honeymoon period, but Ford seems way more engaged with the University as a whole and the local media than Crews ever was.

I can't recall seeing a single campus / University related thing outside of basketball involving Crews and his media interviews were fairly limited as well. Ford seems to be all over the place and has already made the rounds on the local sports talk radio shows.

That certainly appears to be Ford's style which I certainly like to see.

-Jalen seems another good get, good work Coach Ford and staff!

-getting out of Chaifetz going on campus handing out cookies to the students? smart move, good work

-keep going Coach Ford!

-should we have Pit Bull? - my bad, I see the other thread now

Anyone else concerned that all of the guys we are looking at are 6'5" - 6'-7" SF types? I really think we need a point and/or a big, not a bunch of wings...

I'm not very concerned because the talent level needs to go up at every position. I'd rather have a talent than a good positional fit at this point.

I'm not very concerned because the talent level needs to go up at every position. I'd rather have a talent than a good positional fit at this point.

A fair point. I just fear next year will be as much of a struggle with Bishop as our only proven ballhandler. That said, I'm not positive that there are point guards out there who would help us this Fall.