Recruiting - 2016

-one item about Coach Ford that I am questioning is trying to reconcile his statement of wanting to be up tempo but his team's tempo rating only being below 149 three times at OkSt, last year with injuries in the backcourt I get, the others, not so much, and the quickest tempo was his first year where I guess it was mostly Sutton's players

-but if we win, I won't care

I think most coaches talk about uptempo, because that is what fans and recruits want to hear. Even Majerus would talk about it. Agree, who cares about tempo, winning basketball in whatever style is the most interesting.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After watching some video of Henriquez, I really want to land that kid. Excellent shooter, smooth scorer. Would be awesome to get an announcement right after his visit. He was at Pitt yesterday. Jamie Dixon recruiting against his old school on this one. I don't have as strong of an opinion about Bess. Looked like an excellent athlete and started some games at MSU. Maybe he was still battling injury this year, but he didn't produce much. Then again, Sibert didn't produce much in the Big 10 and went on to be an impact player in the A-10, so who knows. I think we can safely assume he would be a talent upgrade over Hines or Jolly.

I'm glad they have to sit. Wouldn't want to waste a year of their eligibility being surrounded by Crews recruits

Fingers crossed they have Goodwin for two years, Ramey and Gordon for one (I've been drinking plenty of kool-aid this evening)

None of us know how these players will pan out for us, but it seems clear that Ford has a recruiting pitch that is working.

Admittedly, Crews got commitments early in his per many tenure too, but they didn't actually perform on the court. Hopefully these guys bring wins on the court.

Next year might still be rough, but I think we should definitely be better in 2017-18.

I'm thrilled with how this spring is going so far. That being said, my only complaint is we've now recruited a SG, SF and PF and I think we all agree that the biggest needs on the team are PG and center. I definitely subscribe to the we need to improve everywhere philosophy but I do hope that any further additions this spring are focused on those spots.

I'm thrilled with how this spring is going so far. That being said, my only complaint is we've now recruited a SG, SF and PF and I think we all agree that the biggest needs on the team are PG and center. I definitely subscribe to the we need to improve everywhere philosophy but I do hope that any further additions this spring are focused on those spots.

I'm starting to wonder if Ford thinks of Welmer, Gillmann, Neufeld and Jolly as 5's? Or at least that they all could potentially contribute minutes there, and just needs 1-2 to improve enough for that not to be a position of need.

Related to this, I wonder if he thinks he can play small ball with all of these big wings. If he truly wants to play an uptempo style, this could make sense. The faster you play, the less important having one primary ball-handler is, and the more important having multiple ball-handlers becomes.

Bernie can refer all he wants. Good recruits is what I expected from T Ford, I expect to get into the tourney and expect to then lose. I hope I'm wrong it's just Ford's record that fuels my expectations.

Im okay with getting to the tourney and then losing -- it means we will be successful in conference and in the conference tourney.

Even with the greatest streak in bills history we never got past the second round. This means we can effectively repeat the best period in recent Billiken history on a consistent basis.

Are you truly uncomfortable with that?

I'm starting to wonder if Ford thinks of Welmer, Gillmann, Neufeld and Jolly as 5's? Or at least that they all could potentially contribute minutes there, and just needs 1-2 to improve enough for that not to be a position of need.

Related to this, I wonder if he thinks he can play small ball with all of these big wings. If he truly wants to play an uptempo style, this could make sense. The faster you play, the less important having one primary ball-handler is, and the more important having multiple ball-handlers becomes.

Good point - I was thinking something similar. Bishop can be the primary ball handler and when he needs to rest or gets into foul trouble, Bartley can handle it for a short spurts during games. Heck, if push comes to shove Roby could take it for a couple of minutes at times. If the SG and SF transfers he signed can handle the ball any at all, we should be OK. PF are hard to come by that have size and a big body.so we did need that. Center is not that critical - you can play those guys as Forwards and get by just fine if they rebound. At this point I think we have seen the importance of casting a wide net - the more people have offered and bring in the more pressure there is on the kids to not keep you hanging. BS never learned that and JC was not able to make that happen either.

Im okay with getting to the tourney and then losing -- it means we will be successful in conference and in the conference tourney.

Even with the greatest streak in bills history we never got past the second round. This means we can effectively repeat the best period in recent Billiken history on a consistent basis.

Are you truly uncomfortable with that?

That's not what I want. I want some sweet 16s maybe a great 8 and dare to dream a final four. It's been done by teams in the A10 before.

That's not what I want. I want some sweet 16s maybe a great 8 and dare to dream a final four. It's been done by teams in the A10 before.

That's not what I want. I want to win the national championship every year for the next 30 years. It's mathematically possible.