Tanner Lancona

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would hope these two don't get major minutes this year. If they do it means that Grandy and Manning are not improving at all.

I think it will entirely depend upon matchups. If the other team has a big 7 foot type center either starting or off the bench then I see Manning getting a real chance to prove himself in the low post. However, If they are playing a 6'8" more athletic guy then I can see RA getting some opportunities to match up but of course, I have never seen him play so I am going on what I have heard about his play this year and his visit. The more interesting question is Grandy's role. There is no way I can see him filling the role of Cody under any circumstances. He is an energy guy and a great glue guy on the bench but his shooting range is minimal and his skill level with the ball is very limited. Tanner is much more likely to fill that role off the bench than Grandy.

RA comess to the SLU coaching staff as a high ceiling player with multifaceted abilities. His gaudy rebounding numbers stink of an ability on the defensive and offensive end of the ball that allows him to leave his imprint on every game he plays. His ballhanding skills are like that of a guard so he can breakdown his man and force double teams which will leave others open to knock down that 3. His knack to make the basketball play is what makes him a willing passer. That is where TL will shine! RA is an above average shooter but seldom has to utilize that skill because he beats his man with the dribble and has more post moves in his arsenal that amaze those of us who are watching him grow. His post moves moves remind me of Olajuwon with the dream shake..very deceptive so unlike most big men who need to know where the basket is to score, he can score at multiple angles in the post without having to look at the rim. Somehow he always knows where he is around that basket! Best of all with his 6ft 8in frame-245lb, he is merciless against taller players and punishes shorter guys who want to compete. Who is going to push him around!

TL will complement him but RA brings alot to the table that TL cannot give SLU immediately. TL's shooting is great so he will get that open shot but remember that we already have many of those types of guys. RA will be that established 4 banger who gets that ball thrown to him in the post to produce buckets. Do not be surprised to see him not only play the 4, but also the 5 and 3 positions as needed. His goal is to defend and play all 5 positions. RA does not lack experience as someone earlier mentioned...that is a point that stretched from the fact that he has only had some 3 years of organized basketball in the US playing on a wooden flow. He has had 3 full seasons of high school/prep basketball, 2 full summers of AAU basketball and has now played in about 150 games nationally. He has experience! It is the skillset that he developed before coming to the US that makes him the unique player that he is. I have a feeling we will be seeing him alot as a freshman.

RA comess to the SLU coaching staff as a high ceiling player with multifaceted abilities. His gaudy rebounding numbers stink of an ability on the defensive and offensive end of the ball that allows him to leave his imprint on every game he plays. His ballhanding skills are like that of a guard so he can breakdown his man and force double teams which will leave others open to knock down that 3. His knack to make the basketball play is what makes him a willing passer. That is where TL will shine! RA is an above average shooter but seldom has to utilize that skill because he beats his man with the dribble and has more post moves in his arsenal that amaze those of us who are watching him grow. His post moves moves remind me of Olajuwon with the dream shake..very deceptive so unlike most big men who need to know where the basket is to score, he can score at multiple angles in the post without having to look at the rim. Somehow he always knows where he is around that basket! Best of all with his 6ft 8in frame-245lb, he is merciless against taller players and punishes shorter guys who want to compete. Who is going to push him around!

TL will complement him but RA brings alot to the table that TL cannot give SLU immediately. TL's shooting is great so he will get that open shot but remember that we already have many of those types of guys. RA will be that established 4 banger who gets that ball thrown to him in the post to produce buckets. Do not be surprised to see him not only play the 4, but also the 5 and 3 positions as needed. His goal is to defend and play all 5 positions. RA does not lack experience as someone earlier mentioned...that is a point that stretched from the fact that he has only had some 3 years of organized basketball in the US playing on a wooden flow. He has had 3 full seasons of high school/prep basketball, 2 full summers of AAU basketball and has now played in about 150 games nationally. He has experience! It is the skillset that he developed before coming to the US that makes him the unique player that he is. I have a feeling we will be seeing him alot as a freshman.

I think you're right. The two young big men will complement each other very well. If they sag on Reggie, Tanner's going to hit the bomb. If they extend on Tanner, Reggie will pound the rock in close.

Well said JetFlight5! The word is RA will be at SLU starting summer classes and training on May 20th. I hope to catch the big man to show him we are rooting for his success in the Billiken nation. Billiken Love baby!

This sounds like a PR release. Both sound like good recruits who have the potential to be good players, but they still have to prove it on the court against D1 competition. Lets see what they look like when they get here before proclaiming them the next coming.

By stating that Loe and Manning are interchangeable, I did not mean to suggest that manning will drill 3 point shots, though he has decent range on his jumper. For that matter, Loe only averages about one 3 a game, which means he had a number of games with no threes. What I mean by interchangeable is when one comes out, the other is likely to go in, as I don’t think you will see both on the floor very often.

You have a very different definition of "interchangeable" then the rest of the world - thank you for clarifying but what you just said really does not make sense. When a player replaces another, it may have nothing to do with taking his place - could be a different coaching approach being implemented. The only thing the same about Loe and Manning is their height - their games are very different. By the way it does not matter that Loe avg. making only one 3 per game - the key is that he is capable of making that shot 3-4 times a game if left unguarded. When Loe steps out he cause the defense to stretch and makes room for a guy like Evans to work down low.

Over/under number of sweet 16's TL and RA play in..... (1.5) ...go

over. jeez. over/under on # of testicles you have (1.5)? another limp dick prognostication like that and i'm going to have to think hard on that one. unless you're counting on RA going pro after his freshman year.

BILLLLLLLIIIIIIESSSSS.

over. jeez. over/under on # of testicles you have (1.5)? another limp dick prognostication like that and i'm going to have to think hard on that one. unless you're counting on RA going pro after his freshman year.

BILLLLLLLIIIIIIESSSSS.

+1

With a pure definition of interchangeable, none of our big men are interchangeable. What I am trying to forecast is the kind of rotations that Crews will use. So if we look at the starting 4 and 5 positions following last year’s precedent it will be:
Glaze and Loe.

Glaze comes out at the first opportunity and ….. who goes in?
I think it will be either Tanner or Agbeko – depending on matchups and how well they develop.
When Loe comes out Manning goes in.

I don’t see Crews playing two long, lanky and a little slow big men in Loe and Manning at the same time. (There will be some exceptions.)
Similarly I don’t think we will see a lot of Tanner and Agbeko on the floor at the same time because they are rookies trying to figure out where then need to be. They may play more together later in the season and will certainly play together a lot in future years (God willing).
Loe and Manning are foul prone and our rookies are likely to be as well as they learn to catch up with the speed and size of division 1 basketball. For this reason I think all of these guys are going to get significant minutes.

I think everyone on the board is looking at Glaze expecting little more than what we have seen to date. But he was a 3 star recruit and his improvement may surprise us. He certainly has enough incentive to improve. If however his offensive game remains limited, our new big men are going to get some significant minutes.

[still drooling.]

Based on your description, Agbeko would be a Billiken for just one season before going to the NBA.

I'm thinking you might want to dial the expectations back a bit. Pretty much every kid thinks he can make it in the NBA.

Might want to dial the expectations down a bit.(I like the enthusiasm though)

You just described LBJ.

Guard like ball handling skills, above average outside shot, Hakeem "the dream" post like moves, Dennis Rodman rebounding skills, and John Stockton basketball IQ?

Sounds like Crews just recruited a top 50 all time NBA player.

Not trying to change the topic but I think this is info that should come here. There is a wealth of information on African basketball players currently graduating from HS / prep school in the US and seeking placement at college teams, particularly high level teams. The Team Nigeria site lists about two dozen of these, all members of Nigeria's national teams (inter African play and well as internally in Nigeria), Randy Onwuassur is one of these. Reggie Agbeko is from Ghana, again featured in Team Ghana or Ghana basketball, cannot recall which. These are really high quality players with LOTS more experience than HS school play may suggest to any of us. The Nigerians are being snatched by places like Duke and Syracuse. I think we really have to consider these candidates as better qualified than the normal HS graduate level would suggest, probably also older and more mature in experience. Please feel free to check the net, it is interesting.

I just posted this in the recruits thread and then thought it fit here as well. It is possible that Reggie Agbeko may be capable of professional level play from early on. Let us also hope that Randy Onwassur decides in favor of SLU.

Not trying to change the topic but I think this is info that should come here. There is a wealth of information on African basketball players currently graduating from HS / prep school in the US and seeking placement at college teams, particularly high level teams. The Team Nigeria site lists about two dozen of these, all members of Nigeria's national teams (inter African play and well as internally in Nigeria), Randy Onwuassur is one of these. Reggie Agbeko is from Ghana, again featured in Team Ghana or Ghana basketball, cannot recall which. These are really high quality players with LOTS more experience than HS school play may suggest to any of us. The Nigerians are being snatched by places like Duke and Syracuse. I think we really have to consider these candidates as better qualified than the normal HS graduate level would suggest, probably also older and more mature in experience. Please feel free to check the net, it is interesting.

I just posted this in the recruits thread and then thought it fit here as well. It is possible that Reggie Agbeko may be capable of professional level play from early on. Let us also hope that Randy Onwassur decides in favor of SLU.

I think we can all thank Kevin Bacon for starting this trend when he went to recruit over there back in 1994.

I think we can all thank Kevin Bacon for starting this trend when he went to recruit over there back in 1994.

Is Kevin on our VIP celeb fan list?