Tanner Lancona

I've summoned the Gods for a prediction of Tanners stats for his 4 years as a Bill. These numbers are guaranteed to be the lowest possible outcomes

Frosh 9-5

Soph 13-6

Jr 17-7

Sr 29-12

These numbers are for entertainment purposes only.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've summoned the Gods for a prediction of Tanners stats for his 4 years as a Bill. These numbers are guaranteed to be the lowest possible outcomes

Frosh 9-5

Soph 13-6

Jr 17-7

Sr 29-12

I like the prediction of a Conklin summer. Well done sir.

Looks like a really solid pickup. Hopefully he can fill that role Cody has played the last few years, and make Washington State look really stupid in doing so.

I hope he comes in with a big chip on his shoulder, wanting to stick it to WSU. I know I would!

Frosh 9-5

Soph 13-6

Jr 17-7

Sr 29-12

1-800-BETS-OFF

Drew, McBroom, Crawford, Agbeko and now Tanner Lancoa-wow

I hope they are as good as we hope. Sounds like TL could give us the Blake Ahearne overachiever we missed on BA

However, after looking at this Scout reference saying he's 6'7" and a 225 three star vs eight month later 6'9" 235 yet he drops to 2.7 star

Is it just us or did he drop off somehow-only time will tell. I hope he has his Conklin Summer this summer and we get 4 great years

Great that Cody and better yet Mcbroom are reaching out to this kid

Tanner Lancona

6-7, 220 | Class of 2013

HometownLas Flores, Calif.SchoolTesoro High SchoolPositionPower ForwardStatus Undeclared

Scout Grade

66 POSITION

46 REGIONAL

28 STATE

Recruiting ActivityScouting ReportPlayer News

SCHOOL LIST

SCHOOL STATUS OFFER VISIT RECRUITER

Washington State 10/27/2012

Clemson

Hawaii

Idaho

Idaho State

Seems like a quality player I sure hope is 6' 9" although Cody played small for is 6'8" and I liked Cody too

All I can find is a Purdue blog where someone says his senior year he averaged 17 points, 9 rebounds, six assists per game

Everyone says he is small forward or power forward material. RA looks like a 4 Manning is definitely a5 or center. Two years from now we could be very good, again.

It seems in order to squeeze in a judo pass first point guard coach ken bone decided to sacrifice the future for the present. Maybe he thought this kid would walk on because he had wanted to be a cougar from childhood.

Sample of Washington state board response.

WazzuWatch.com > Boards > The Cougar Lair

Tanner Lancona decommits (reply)

by Britton Ransford at 4/11 2:44 PM

According to his Twitter account, Washington State signee Tanner Lancona has decommitted. The 6-7, 220-pound forward signed his letter of intent last signing period and will now seek other options.

More to come later.

Re: Tanner Lancona decommits (reply)

by kougkurt at 4/11 2:45 PM

WTF?

by chugspig at 4/11 2:51 PM

LOL

by kougkurt at 4/11 2:53 PM

What about Daeshon Hall or or Brandon Rosser?

They don't have offers from WSU, but they are still out there? I am sure there is a reason for that also!!

or some unknown JC?

by wulffui at 4/11 2:55 PM

Because the only thing Ken Bone wants more than players are excuses.

Re: Tanner Lancona decommits ... go get a JC power forward (reply)

by Hoops Coug at 4/11 2:58 PM

Time waits for no one, get another JC forward or two. Sampson after year three loaded up, no one felt bad about that huge JC class and at last look Critton, Lewis, Derrick, and Maxey, all delivered. It's time for WSU basketball to keep waiting for that sunny day and get ready-to-play talent right now.

by kougkurt at 4/11 3:01 PM

This is where Lopes earns his paycheck!!

by chugspig at 4/11 3:02 PM

Any forwards at WWCC or Edmonds we can steal from PSU or guys who have flunked/got kicked out of mid majors available? Perhaps an under the radar player, who is under the radar no more?

by Coug95man2 at 4/11 3:05 PM

A thought just entered my head... nothing serious... He was waiting to see if Bone was going to be fired...

by Coug1990 at 4/11 3:09 PM

Wow! This does not happen. Players decommit, but this is not really a decommit, as he did sign a LOI. I do not remember a player that is qualified not showing up.

Hopefully, Lopes already has a player lined up to replace him.

by ElComanche at 4/11 3:37 PM

The kid was basically thrown under the bus. Bonehead over signed when he signed the juco point guard to a letter of intent. There is no room for anyone else unless he decides to throw someone else under the bus. To screw a young kid at this stage is just plain wrong.. Oh well, it will jus endear the Bonehead more to the boners on this board. I hope the young finds a school who will appreciate his talents and sign him to a letter of intent. He has a well rounded game and a lot of potential. The other frosh big man recruit is a long term project with little hope to develop into a good PAC 12 player. The wisdom of the Bonehead is amazing. Jeez ,just when i thought little else could go wrong with this disaster of a program. This will not help with their recruiting efforts at the HS level.

by Coug95man2 at 4/11 4:05 PM

According to his tweet, it was a "Per mutual agreement..."

by Glad Cougar at 4/11 4:07 PM

That's a shame. He was actually the recruit I was most excited about. A couple of problems with simply picking up JCs...most of the good ones are off the board (Sampson's JC haul involved players signed in the fall) and picking up more juniors makes for that imbalanced class situation that some people here criticized Tony for.

I hope he wasn't let go because the coaches were overcommitted on scholarships. If it came down to someone like James Hunter vs. Tanner Lancona, this would be the wrong choice. I'm anxious to hear more details.

Glad Cougar

by Coug1990 at 4/11 4:32 PM

Originally posted by Coug95man2:

According to his tweet, it was a "Per mutual agreement..."

Political answer. There is a story behind this and I am not sure if we will ever really know it or not. I am guessing that WSU needed to free up a scholarship because of the new point guard signee and Tanner was the odd player out. But, that is just speculation on my part.

by YakiCoug at 4/11 4:34 PM

I suspect Bone screwed the pooch on this one.

by ElComanche at 4/11 4:37 PM

Mutual agreement? It is too late in the game for that. They screwed the kid and he now has to shop around for a new school. To call this a "decommit" is a travesty and an attempt to whitewash the Bonehead. I have less respect for him than ever,if that is possible.

by 7ICoug at 4/11 4:44 PM

This is where Lopes has earned his paycheck.

Bet we see a JC announcement in the next week. Lots of very good ones still on the board. Joseph Ucehbo, Mike Middlebrooks, Kevin Thomas (known to be a target earlier), Remi Debo, Keshaun Hamilton.

Re: Tanner Lancona decommits .. didn't he sign a letter? (reply)

by Hoops Coug at 4/11 5:00 PM

I'm with Yaki on this.

This program is getting bad. I'm not on El C's level yet, but his mismanagement of PSU at the end -- horrific APR/NCAA sanctions/high attrition rate -- is coming home to roost at WSU.

How do you cut loose a guy who signed a letter of intent? Huh? He was the guy I was most excited about, too. They pay these guys a lot of dough to manage 13 freaking players and scholarships. It's not that tough, is it?

All signs point to Bone being fired after next season. I don't see how he survives his recruiting and roster management guffaws, let alone his slow-paced offense.

This will be used heavily against WSU in recruiting.

... Not sure why I care anymore. WSU has sucked in basketball 6of the last 10 years or so.

by Coug1990 at 4/11 5:19 PM

Originally posted by Hoops Coug:

I'm with Yaki on this.

This program is getting bad. I'm not on El C's level yet, but his mismanagement of PSU at the end -- horrific APR/NCAA sanctions/high attrition rate -- is coming home to roost at WSU.

How do you cut loose a guy who signed a letter of intent? Huh? He was the guy I was most excited about, too. They pay these guys a lot of dough to manage 13 freaking players and scholarships. It's not that tough, is it?

All signs point to Bone being fired after next season. I don't see how he survives his recruiting and roster management guffaws, let alone his slow-paced offense.

This will be used heavily against WSU in recruiting.

... Not sure why I care anymore. WSU has sucked in basketball 6of the last 10 years or so.

Why do you think this is happening? Because Bone knows he needs results. He is worrying about the here and now. In their opinion, Lancona must have been more of a longterm solution than a solution for next season.

Regarding management of scholarships, in many sports players are told that they will not play anytime soon or not at all in trying to get them to transfer. It is the dirty little secret in college athletics. Scholarships are one year renewable and the coaches use this to their advantage. In this case, it is happening before he sets foot on campus.

The way that Bone is thinking is that if he is going to go down, he is going to go down fighting his way, even if it ruffles a few feathers now because if he wins, no one will care that this happened.

by SaveFerris at 4/11 5:22 PM

Really liked Lancona's potential down the road but I think it is clear Bone needs to win now. Kevin Thomas would fill a scoring need at a forward that I don't think we have at the moment. He might be more complimentary player but he has the ability.

How do the others compare to Thomas you mentioned? How would you rank them?

by Coug95man2 at 4/11 5:28 PM

Interesting angle, 7. Especially considering Britts announcement of Lawhorn...

by Hoops Coug at 4/11 5:34 PM

I let a lot of red flags go before I give up ... see my patience with Wulff and Doba. This is it, Bone doesni't recover from this. Who is he going to defeat next year? OSU has better talent, though he might split with the Beavs.

We'll all be "shocked" when he finishes 11th or 12th next year. I'm done being shocked four years in. He's not a bad coach, he's just not a good enough one for WSU. If I'm Idaho I hire Ken Bone, if I'm Southern Utah I hire Ken Bone. The Pac-12 is a different animal. OSU and WSU are finding out that to win at their schools they need to hit home runs ... or at least triples.

It's over folks, time to face reality.

by ElComanche at 4/11 5:47 PM

Tanner Lancona is a fine talent and he would have been a great addition. I wondered why he would want to play for Bone. I hope the kid finds a good home where he is appreciated by a coach who knows talent.

by Hoops Coug at 4/11 6:00 PM

He is a fine talent. I've heard USC might sign him.

This is a whiff, perhaps not along the lines of Eastman running Ellison (f'n dumb-ass move ... work with the kid). This is an error on Bone's part, IMO, whether I want more JC's or not.

Lots of holes in this program -- 2 walk-ons playing more minutes than Longrus and Boese for starters. Not recognizing Motum's talent till real late in the game, plodding offense, suspect defense. I'm more patient than others, but it's all getting clear for me now. I'm not as harsh as El C and I'm terribly naive (believing Wulff would win after year 3), but I'm learning my lesson.

No more Big Sky coaches, please.

This is 'big boy' Basketball (reply)

by chinookpirate at 4/11 6:00 PM

Lancona is a 'fine talent' with offers from San Francisco and UC Davis. THe information I read says the decision was mutual.

Re: This is 'big boy' Basketball (reply)

by Hoops Coug at 4/11 6:03 PM

Yep, it is big boy, probably why USC is going to go on him.

To quote the Rolling Stones, "It's all over now."

Program is kaput, only thing left is another 12-18 conference last-place finish. Best to admit upcoming failure now than be shocked and surprised at Bone's 3rd last-place finish in 5 years.

An oldie, Boz Scaggs, "It's over, it's over now."

Adios, this program is sunk.

by kougkurt at 4/11 6:17 PM

No worries, we can borrow a scholly from the ladies, don't they get 15. Freakin title IX.

by jourdand at 4/11 6:24 PM

I hope this was Bone's decision. If it is, I feel for Tanner, but at least there is hope for a better player waiting in the wings. If this is Tanner's choice it is a big blow with no real upside.

From what I saw this year I would have thought Hunter would have been a better choice, but maybe he is also going to be leaving.

Was it ... (reply)

by dgibbons at 4/11 7:03 PM

Lack of charter flights?

Couldn't resist.

This "move" would be Big Boy basketball if ... (reply)

by YakiCoug at 4/11 7:34 PM

Bone were, in fact, making room for a better player. But this doesn't make room for another player. Adding the JC point guard put Bone one over the limit. He messed up on simple math. Even worse, why not get rid of Hawkinson who, some could argue, is far more a project than Lancona ever was?

Of course, Bone may still get rid of Hawkinson, or have him delay his enrollment (that technically has to be the recruit's decision) to make room for a Can't Miss guy who can save Bone's job this next season.

But until we hear otherwise, Bone appears to have again mismanaged recruiting, in this his fourth season.

by YakiCoug at 4/11 7:41 PM

Originally posted by chinookpirate:

Lancona is a 'fine talent' with offers from San Francisco and UC Davis. THe information I read says the decision was mutual.

Nice indirect slap at Leach in that you seem to be making reference to Leach's dumping 10 or so of Wulff's recruits in his first recruiting class. As I argue in another post, the Lancona matter, so it appears at this juncture, hardly is comparable. Leach dumped Wulff's D2 guys to make room for D1 guys. If Bone's signing the JC point guard put him one over the scholarship limit, he has to dump either Lancona or Hawkinson, which is what's happened. And unless he now dumps Hawkinson who, many argue is more a project than Lancona ever was (if USC grabs him, the crap will fly), Bone has no room for a prospect better than both of them, the kind of guy who can save his job right now.

A busch league move (reply)

by dailyplanet at 4/11 7:43 PM

and this makes it tuff to recruit when you chop a guy like this

by jourdand at 4/11 8:15 PM

I think Hunter will be gone also. If this was Bone's choice and not Tanner's then he must think Hawkinson is better than Tanner. It's not what I thought but I have only seen highlight clips.

by dailyplanet at 4/11 8:21 PM

Seen Hawk and cant see him better than Tanner also Bone is friends ,old neighbors or church mates of Hawkinsons from what I hear .

by Glad Cougar at 4/11 8:31 PM

I thought I read somewhere that Hawkinson is a family friend of Bone.....or the kid grew up down the street from KB, something like that. So if it indeed came down to Lancona vs. Hawkinson and he chose to keep Hawkinson for personal reasons, that's not good. I'll try to keep an open mind about all this until more is learned.

Glad Cougar

EDIT: Sorry Dailyplanet, didn't see your post until after I had completed mine.

This post was edited on 4/11 8:32 PM by Glad Cougar

by Glad Cougar at 4/11 8:35 PM

I didn't see anyone complain about the offers he had when he signed his LOI. All I read from many Cougar fans was what a nice pickup he was for the program. Now that he's gone, you make reference to his offers?

Glad Cougar

by wulffbone at 4/11 8:44 PM

Look at the bright side Cougs, WSU doesn't fall too much in the Pac-12 standings.

Oh, Mr. Moos, might want to rethink your decision.

by Coug1990 at 4/11 9:02 PM

You might be right about that his Peter Principle is not the Pac 12. Some coaches just cannot make the jump. Usually it has to do with recruiting and not X's & O's. Frankly, too many minutes have been earned by walkon athletes. Sometimes a walkon turns into gold. I have yet to see that with any walkon. So, if walkons is getting minutes, it says something about the quality of the recruits he has been bringing in to Pullman.

Regarding this specific move, we all knew something was coming because they were over the scholarship limit. The time to be upset was then. So, I am not as upset as you over this, but I am leaning toward your way of thinking about Bone longterm.

by 7ICoug at 4/11 9:25 PM

Joseph Uchebo 6-11 240 #21 by JucoRecruiting.com 12 ppg and 12 boards

Kevin Thomas 6-7 #23 by JucoRecruiting 8.7 ppg and 10 boards was a Texas guy once

Remi Debo 6-9 #24 16.2 ppg and 5 boards was a Kentucky guy until he was dropped late.

Mike Middlebrooks 6-10 played at NIC in CDA. our of Beach in Seattle 10ppg 7.2 boards

UW was after Debo I think prior to their Post Graduate pickup. I know the staff has watched Middlebrooks in a NIC vs. CSI game earlier in the year in CDA as I attended. Thomas was a target once. Uchebo is just speculation

Re: This "move" would be Big Boy basketball if ... (reply)

by chinookpirate at 4/11 9:27 PM

the decision is mutual... you must have missed that part.

you have no idea why this move was made. rant on old man.

by YakiCoug at 4/11 9:31 PM

the decision is mutual... you must have missed that part.

you have no idea why this move was made. rant on old man.

Didn't miss a thing, but I do recognize "spin" when I see it. Just because you've dropped face-down on your knees and elbows for Bone and Wulff doesn't improve your "insight."

by chinookpirate at 4/11 9:48 PM

obviously, you're drinking to excess tonight (yet again)

nothing more pathetic than an angry drunk on a message board.

rant on, Yaki.

by YakiCoug at 4/11 9:56 PM

Ah, are you going to go all HWGC on me?

by chinookpirate at 4/11 10:07 PM

ever notice how drunks laugh at their own jokes?

by YakiCoug at 4/11 10:22 PM

Someone seems to be losing her temper.

by chinookpirate at 4/11 10:30 PM

you're ex wife?

by How_di...appen? at 4/11 10:34 PM

I thought the point was we were one player over the scholarship limit, and Lancona's decommit makes us even up? So unless we dump another player (which is possible), then getting any one of these JC power forwards will put us over the top again.

Re: Tanner Lancona decommits...JC Forward on the way ? (reply)

by earldacoug at 4/11 10:34 PM

Unless Bone is adding a quality JC front court player, then this is a disaster imo. The idea that now Tanner is somehow not good enough, or they don't need him, seems absolutely silly to me. Why then did they sign him in the first place ? It isn't like Bone has signed a bunch of quality big men. Heck our frontline is razor thin.

by YakiCoug at 4/11 10:36 PM

you're ex wife?

Your anger appears to be affecting your spelling, and you're looking really desperate right now with these childish stabs in the dark. By all means, continue going psycho here. You're so pretty when you are unhinged.

by YakiCoug at 4/11 10:41 PM

Originally posted by earldacoug:

Unless Bone is adding a quality JC front court player, then this is a disaster imo. The idea that now Tanner is somehow not good enough, or they don't need him, seems absolutely silly to me. Why then did they sign him in the first place ? It isn't like Bone has signed a bunch of quality big men. Heck our frontline is razor thin.

I've left open the possibility that Bone will somehow find another schollie. Perhaps a current player is flunking out or has told Bone he is transferring. Barring that, if it's true Bone chased a guy who ends up getting a USC scholarship and keeps a guy just because they were neighbors and went to the same church, this looks like a disaster.

by How_di...appen? at 4/11 10:45 PM

Hey...we have to keep those "local" guys!

It's all about recruiting in Washington state. Didn't you know that by now?

by wazzubruce at 4/11 11:18 PM

Bone ia a disaster and so is the WSU basketball program....... I guess now we sit back and see how far down the toilet this program can continue to fall..... wow, when will Moos pull the plug on this pathetic train wreck?

by bogusto at 4/12 6:57 AM

Much as I have become anti-Bone after the last couple of years of futility, I have to give him the benefit of the doubt in this situation and assume: 1. there was a very good reason for the Lancona decision, and 2. another move is forthcoming down the line. Elsewise this is much too like someone slitting their own wrist and watching their lifeblood ebb down the drain.

Re: Tanner Lancona ... saw his clips, he can play at WSU (reply)

by Hoops Coug at 4/12 7:30 AM

I've seen him listed at 6-9, 225, he runs the floor well, can shoot the outside jumper. Why does Bone decide in April he doesn't want him? Why doesn't he honor his letter of intent? They are supposed to be honored, not ripped up. Why after 4 years you can't manage your roster correctly? Why did the Reggie Moore thing throw him such a curveball?

Ken Bone can't handle it at WSU. To quote another song, this time an oldie by Fleetwood Mac (showing my age here), "Over My Head."

He's got walk-ons eating up minutes and he runs a 6-9 prep, who appears pretty talented?

I wish WSU had the buyout money.

Re: Chinook, becasue Bone receives a check from WSU ... (reply)

by Hoops Coug at 4/12 7:33 AM

... doesn't mean he's a good coach or up to the job. It means he receives a check from WSU.

Also, one can seriously question the "mutual agreement" stuff from what I've heard. Letters of intent are not to be broken.

While Leach cleared out some of Wulff's VERBAL commitments, he didn't cut any signed letter guys loose.

WSU has no margin of error, this will come back to really hurt WSU, especially in California.

If Romar had done the same, we'd all be crowing right now.

Re: Tanner Lancona decommits ... media will stay silent on this (reply)

by Hoops Coug at 4/12 7:45 AM

Withers, Blanchette, etc., won't touch this. Let the well-paid coach get yet another free pass for his inability to manage 13 scholarships and get last place in 2 of his 4 seasons at WSU. Entering year 5, he's still butchering his roster. It's much more fun to track Marquis Wilson, I guess, then to actually look into why Bone is stumbling around with his $800K/7-year contract.

Perhaps we need another Zag update ... sigh.

Re: Tanner Lancona decommits .. Bone is done (reply)

by Hoops Coug at 4/12 7:57 AM

He's gone. I saw a lot of red flags and ignored them. He had similar roster management problems at PSU, thus the APR problems and NCAA sanctions. When he was at SPU, he was "recruiting" stars off NAIA rosters, a violation. I know this because of a coach at the NAIA level told me. He was calling a kid named Geoff Smith at an NAIA school in Oregon, a 20 ppg guy, and trying to get him to go to SPU. My friend told me that's why he doesn't like Bone. (My friend was the baseball coach at this school and heard all the details from the hoop coach, whom I also knew.) I gave Bone the proverbial free pass on this because he was the WSU coach.

Old habits die hard. The stuff at SPU, PSU, etc., is carrying over to WSU. There was a story down here on the BSU women's coach, whom they hired from SPU. He was visiting with Bone once and said if they can't do this at the highest level, then they should just bag it or sell insurance or something. Seeing how that coach is here (marginal) and Bone (marginal), State Farm might have been their best option ... or at least staying at SPU. Not everyone is cut out for D-I ball.

by Coug1990 at 4/12 8:03 AM

Withers, Blanchette, etc., won't touch this. Let the well-paid coach get yet another free pass for his inability to manage 13 scholarships and get last place in 2 of his 4 seasons at WSU. Entering year 5, he's still butchering his roster. It's much more fun to track Marquis Wilson, I guess, then to actually look into why Bone is stumbling around with his $800K/7-year contract.

Perhaps we need another Zag update ... sigh.

I think you are making way to much about oversigning. If the NCAA banned all coaches that oversigned, there would be no one left. You want to criticize him for his on court coaching and recruiting, fine. But, for roster management? I think you are looking for things to criticize.

by Coug95man2 at 4/12 8:05 AM

Perhaps we need another Zag update ...

OK!!! Kelly Olynyk is named scholar-athlete of the year by Athletic Directors...He graduated in December with a 3.53 GPA in accounting. He's working on his first semester of the MBA program at Gonzaga...oh wait... you were joking... my bad...

by avabob at 4/12 8:59 AM

I was excited about Lancona, and was disappointed with this happening. However when I ever said anything good about Lancona in supporting Bone most of the haters were underwhelmed. No he is a disastorous loss. Which is it.

Any chance he was a good prospect who didn't develop, and wants early playiing time.

by Glad Cougar at 4/12 9:51 AM

I think many here are more outraged about how this took place....pulling a scholarship from a kid who just signed the LOI in the fall....than feeling like WSU has lost a great player. Tanner may or may not amount to a good D-1 player...but as someone else said, if the coaching staff thought he was good enough to offer in the fall, what has taken place to change their mind in the spring without even having a chance to have him in Pullman? Did he have an awful senior season? Is he hurt? Even if there's a great JC power forward out there ready to sign with WSU (which would require yet another scholarship freeing up), I just think this is the wrong thing to do to a kid...a lot different than cutting loose someone who has been with the program for at least a year (Simon, Harthun, Winston). IMO, it's slimy...and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Ray Lopes was behind all this. Kelvin protege.

I really hope I'm wrong and that there is much more to the story. But from what we know now, this isn't anything to be very proud of, IMO.

Glad Cougar

Hoops....in the old days I would agree with you... (reply)

by CougEd at 4/12 10:08 AM

A contract is a contract. The contract should be honored. Graham and Eastman might have received payment, but their agreement was to coach a team for 5 years. We cut them lose in four. Yes, I get we paid them, but that is only the compensation portion.

In terms of why this was done now...yuou know bball better than I, but the weakness was so glaring that my 11 year old daughter could piock it up. That team, despite Moore's warts, truly missed him. Someone who could break the press, which cost WSU against Gonzaga, someone who could break down the defense off the dribble penetration and dish to Motem, and someone who could be counted on to put up 12 a night.

This team had leads in many of the games until late in the game when a point guard/leader was needed to calm the storm. It is pretty clear Bone feels the heat, and there is no need for a project at this point.

There was no mismanagement...not this time anyway. You have a coach who thought Moore woul dget him through this year, and Woolridge and Ike would get him through next year. But he could not go into next year without having that one player he could trust to distribute the BBall.

The fact Moore did not play shortened the leash, and it created an obvious problem. If Moore played this year, eased Woolridge into the position, and a NIT or CBI team then yeah, you probably don't see this move.

No...as the season went on it was very apparent they needed (reply)

by CougEd at 4/12 10:18 AM

a point guard, one that could break down the defense. That became way more important than a power forard who probably needed a year or two. You now have a JC player ready to come in and contribute right away.

by chinookpirate at 4/12 10:25 AM

If the agreement isn't mututal, what incentive does Lancona have in saying that it was, now that he has his release in hand?

It seems to me few have a problem with a coach culling the existing roster to make room for better recruits yet many seem to be having great heartburn with this decision evwen though the player himself, who has never attended WSU, says publically was mutual.

... doesn't mean he's a good coach or up to the job. It means he receives a check from WSU.

Also, one can seriously question the "mutual agreement" stuff from what I've heard. Letters of intent are not to be broken.

While Leach cleared out some of Wulff's VERBAL commitments, he didn't cut any signed letter guys loose.

WSU has no margin of error, this will come back to really hurt WSU, especially in California.

If Romar had done the same, we'd all be crowing right now.

Honored? That is such a BS term in sports these days... (reply)

by CougEd at 4/12 10:28 AM

Did Leach honor the offers to 10 kids that Wulff wanted to sign. A verbal offer is a verbal offer, and verbal acceptance is verbal acceptance.

I don't blame Leach for not being committed to kids who either don't fit his system, or don't' measure up to him. Coaches are no longer awarded time to clean up mistakes made by a previous staff. It is clear Bone was told to make it right. I would guess he went to both Hawkinson and Lancona and asked if they would be a team player and delay their enrollment.

by ttowncoug at 4/12 10:31 AM

Bone obviously knows he's on the hot seat and needs to get players to contribute next season.

I just don't see Bone telling him his scholarship was pulled. It very well could be he asked him to delay enrollment because he needs to get a couple JC kids on board.

We don't know the details.

Re: Honored? That is such a BS term in sports these days... (reply)

by dgibbons at 4/12 10:32 AM

Originally posted by CougEd:

Did Leach honor the offers to 10 kids that Wulff wanted to sign. A verbal offer is a verbal offer, and verbal acceptance is verbal acceptance.

I don't blame Leach for not being committed to kids who either don't fit his system, or don't' measure up to him. Coaches are no longer awarded time to clean up mistakes made by a previous staff. It is clear Bone was told to make it right. I would guess he went to both Hawkinson and Lancona and asked if they would be a team player and delay their enrollment.

We're talking about a signed letter of intent.

He recruited players who went to two NCAA tourney's (reply)

by CougEd at 4/12 10:33 AM

they were not students, or at least good students. But he won. Isn't that what they are really paid to do?.

Oh, you mean like the one Brandon Golden and others have signed? (reply)

by CougEd at 4/12 10:37 AM

I think that is much more clear. I really think we are talking about the ethical and moral issue here, not the legal one. But I am sure some see the legal issue as the moral issue.... but thatnks for clearly that up .

This post was edited on 4/12 10:37 AM by CougEd

Re: Oh, you mean like the one Brandon Golden and others have signed? (reply)

by dgibbons at 4/12 10:41 AM

I think that is much more clear. I really think we are talking about the ethical and moral issue here, not the legal one. But I am sure some see the legal issue as the moral issue.... but thatnks for clearly that up .

As we have covered in the past, scholarships are renewed annually. I don't know why Golden left. I know he wasn't playing. Everybody on the roster of every college team in America is free to transfer.

Lancona was off the market for a while due to the fact that he had a legally binding letter of intent. Other schools couldn't contact him. His recruitment was done. Now he's in a more difficult spot.

No more a difficult spot than say Travis Gardner.... (reply)

by CougEd at 4/12 10:52 AM

The 10 Leach cut lose were off the market, they shut down their recruitment. Moos even went on record saying the offers would be honored.

This is how things play out when your livelihood is on the line. These are the tough ethical and moral decisions that have to be made in the quest to win. All coaches face these questions...

Who had not signed a letter of intent (reply)

by dgibbons at 4/12 10:54 AM

Gardner was a casualty of a coaching change. Lancona is not.

exactly, ttown (reply)

by chinookpirate at 4/12 11:00 AM

He could have easily told him, "The role in which we recruited you has changed. We have a JC player coming in who we anticipate will get the minutes we planned on giving you over the next two years... do you still want to come? If not, we would be happy to sign your release."

Bone is paid to win. If he does, all is great. If not, we move on. Criticizing him for his every off season move without facts or context is silly, IMO.

Originally posted by ttowncoug:

Bone obviously knows he's on the hot seat and needs to get players to contribute next season.

I just don't see Bone telling him his scholarship was pulled. It very well could be he asked him to delay enrollment because he needs to get a couple JC kids on board.

We don't know the details.

Myron Turner was a casualty of a coaching change... (reply)

by CougEd at 4/12 11:08 AM

We can do this all day long. Do you believe if football had a early siogning operiod and those 10 kids signed Leach ..or any other coach would not have found a way to get rid of them? You are talking the legal issues. As you know contracts are broken all the time. This is a moral and ethical issue. One many years ago I had a problem with. Not so much any more.

Take it for the core level ...Bone saw a huge weakness (reply)

by CougEd at 4/12 11:11 AM

after he lost his PG after school had started. In the early signing period he had no data to show what the loss of Moore meant. A letter was signed.

Bone decided to cut the player lose to save the program and his job. It is the ugly side of sports, but that is really what we demand until it is done....then doesn't look so pretty.

Use your powers of historical nonsense (reply)

by dgibbons at 4/12 11:14 AM

And find a guy that signed a letter of intent, and then was cut loose.

Re: They pay Bone to read the tea leaves/manage the roster (reply)

by Hoops Coug at 4/12 11:16 AM

If Tanner Lanconna wasn't in the plans to begin with, why sign him in the first place? Why limit his options? It's another fraud of the NCAA: coaches can leave when they want, players are hamstrung to letters of intent. Bone abused his power on this.

What kind of team did he think he'd have this year, with or without Moore? I thought middle of the conference? Did Bone think that, or worse in his 4th year? If he thought worse and that no more freshmen guys were needed, why did he sign TWO in Lanconna and Hawkinson? (Sorry, on the latter, he is a project, family friend or not.)

The dude makes close to a million a year, he needs to be held accountable. In year 5 should we expect better or yet another rebuilding plan? Is it still Tony's fault? When does that statute of limitations run out?

No more Kool-Aid drinking for me, Bone is in over his head at the Pac-12 level.

You again are not making any sense (reply)

by dgibbons at 4/12 11:16 AM

after he lost his PG after school had started. In the early signing period he had no data to show what the loss of Moore meant. A letter was signed.

Bone decided to cut the player lose to save the program and his job. It is the ugly side of sports, but that is really what we demand until it is done....then doesn't look so pretty.

Moore was not going to be around for the 2013 season. There is no connection between Moore and cutting Lancona.

This isn't going to save Bone's job.

Re: Moore was graduating anyway, right? (reply)

by Hoops Coug at 4/12 11:20 AM

Moore was done after this year anyway and he had signed Ikenna. So he knew the drill. Bone isn't some Opie, "Gosh guys, I just didn't know what was going on?" He's the freaking coach, he blew this one.

He's done. No reason to argue this. Bone is gone after his 3rd last place finish in five years. He's toast. Admit it.

Re: He recruited players who went to two NCAA tourney's ... in the Big Sky (reply)

by Hoops Coug at 4/12 11:22 AM

I've never argued that Ken Bone isn't a good mid-major coach. He's not a good Pac-12 coach. There's a difference in levels. Same reason Todd LIckliter was good at Butler, not good at Iowa; same reason the Keno Davis was good at Drake, not good at Providence. Same reason Craig Robinson was good at Brown, not good at OSU. Same reason Monson was good at Gonzaga and Long Beach, not Minnesota ... and on and on and on.

If he finishes last he is done... (reply)

by CougEd at 4/12 11:29 AM

But one does not have anything to do with the other.

Yes, Moore was going to be done after the season. But as the season wore on it was clear he did not have enough experience at the ball handling position. I am guessing he thought (rightfully so) Woolridge would be a good #2 option for the PG, and that Moore would ease him into that transition. Ladd had to play point a good portion of the season.

So now you have Woolridge who is still a very good #2 option for the point, and a newcomer coming in, he cannot afford not to have insurance. What happens if Woolridge is injured, or Ike is not ready?

While he may be toast, this was not about mismanagement but rather evaluation.

Re: They pay Bone to read the tea leaves/manage the roster (reply)

by Coug1990 at 4/12 11:30 AM

If Tanner Lanconna wasn't in the plans to begin with, why sign him in the first place? Why limit his options? It's another fraud of the NCAA: coaches can leave when they want, players are hamstrung to letters of intent. Bone abused his power on this.

What kind of team did he think he'd have this year, with or without Moore? I thought middle of the conference? Did Bone think that, or worse in his 4th year? If he thought worse and that no more freshmen guys were needed, why did he sign TWO in Lanconna and Hawkinson? (Sorry, on the latter, he is a project, family friend or not.)

The dude makes close to a million a year, he needs to be held accountable. In year 5 should we expect better or yet another rebuilding plan? Is it still Tony's fault? When does that statute of limitations run out?

No more Kool-Aid drinking for me, Bone is in over his head at the Pac-12 level.

You really don't know? Bone knows this is a do or die year for him. That is why. He knows that he needs to win next season. I am sure that he thinks that Tanner is a good player in the long run. But, if he cannot help WSU win next season, then Bone just signed him for the next coach. So, Bone replaced him with someone that can help WSU next season. That is the right thing to do and smart of him.

I think Bone thought this was a much better team with Moore. I think this team was a much better team with Moore at the point. That he is replacing one player for another happens in college sports often. That does not bother me as much as that he didn't have a backup plan for the point last season. At the very least he should have signed one last year that even if Moore had been on the team could backed up and been ready to start this year at a sophomore. That is what I didn't get.

Here are the DOTS for you my word for word reader (reply)

by CougEd at 4/12 11:35 AM

Losing Moore showed a gaping hole in the program. It was clear what affect not having a true #1 PG meant to that team late in ball games. If the COugs were 10 down with 12 minutes left in the game, I could say they are too far gone. But they had leads late in th egame and could not cash in. They couldn't protect the ball late in games, (look no further tha the last game when they had the ball with 50 seconds and a tie game and we simply threw the ball away.

So after seeing what happened this season with playing Ladd at the point most of the season, and how Woolridge was most affective, and the fact they had no back up experience at PG even if Bone thought Woolridge was best suited as a #1 PG.

He looked at his most glaring weakness, not having Moore as his point guard and went about to fix it. So the result so fNOT playing Moore in 2012 helped prompt the decision.

I don't need to....a commitment to me...whether verbal or written (reply)

by CougEd at 4/12 11:38 AM

is a commitment. You can use your legal manueverings all you want.

This post was edited on 4/12 11:39 AM by CougEd

by wulffbone at 4/12 11:47 AM

Current player "flunking out?" Don't even think about that prospect (best guess there would be Que). All this talk of adding another JC big and Kingma has me spinning.

by Coug1990 at 4/12 11:47 AM

Glad, very simple. Lancona is a good player that was not going to help them win next season. Because of last season, everything changed. Bone thought that last season was going to be much better than it was and therefore, he thought he had several years. After last season and after talking to Moos, he knows that he must be competitive next season. Hence, recruiting a point guard that is needed and letting go of a four that isn't needed as much.

A signed contract is not a legal manuever (reply)

by dgibbons at 4/12 11:47 AM

The resident historian appears to have confirmed that WSU has never before cut a guy loose after that guy has signed a letter of intent.

Re: Here are the DOTS for you my word for word reader (reply)

by dgibbons at 4/12 11:52 AM

Losing Moore showed a gaping hole in the program. It was clear what affect not having a true #1 PG meant to that team late in ball games. If the COugs were 10 down with 12 minutes left in the game, I could say they are too far gone. But they had leads late in th egame and could not cash in. They couldn't protect the ball late in games, (look no further tha the last game when they had the ball with 50 seconds and a tie game and we simply threw the ball away.

So after seeing what happened this season with playing Ladd at the point most of the season, and how Woolridge was most affective, and the fact they had no back up experience at PG even if Bone thought Woolridge was best suited as a #1 PG.

He looked at his most glaring weakness, not having Moore as his point guard and went about to fix it. So the result so fNOT playing Moore in 2012 helped prompt the decision.

So what you're really saying is that Bone needed a year long experiment to figure out that not having a point guard was bad. That's a ringing endorsement.

And you still don't get it. Moore wasn't going to be here in 2013-14. Lancona should not have been signed if the problem was a need for a PG.

Keep up the good work Ed.

Re: A signed contract is not a legal manuever (reply)

by chinookpirate at 4/12 11:53 AM

all the headlines I read says Lancona decomitted. Lancona says he decommitted. You say his LOI was pulled which is an NCAA violation, right?

If you're correct, scooping everybody else, what are the sanctions and how long will it take the NCAA to charge WSU/Bone with this violation?

Originally posted by dgibbons:

The resident historian appears to have confirmed that WSU has never before cut a guy loose after that guy has signed a letter of intent.

Hoops...a couple of things... (reply)

by CougEd at 4/12 11:59 AM

He is being held accountable...that is what prompted the move.

Moore was the straw that stirred the drink. Motem had way more easy baskets last year. Penetrate and dish. He thought Woolrdige in time would be that player. He just bought some insurance. You can critcize moves, but this one make sense. I don't like pulling scholie's but it is what we as consumers demand.

You can't say in one sentence, with a straight face anyway, that he needs to be accountable with his job on the line, and then when he goes to fix it you call the NCAA a fraud because his scholie was pulled. The scholie was pulled because we want his feet held to the fire.

by dgibbons at 4/12 12:02 PM

all the headlines I read says Lancona decomitted. Lancona says he decommitted. You say his LOI was pulled which is an NCAA violation, right?

If you're correct, scooping everybody else, what are the sanctions and how long will it take the NCAA to charge WSU/Bone with this violation?

I don't know that it's an NCAA violation. Players want to back out of their letters of intent after coaching changes, especially in basketball. Sometimes the school let's them, sometimes not.

And your post makes zero sense. If Lancona decommited why would Bone/WSU get sanctioned?

That's one take.... (reply)

by CougEd at 4/12 12:05 PM

Another take would be he didn't want caught in the same situation. Maybe he thought Woolridge would progress or be better at the point than he was. Maybe he saw something in Ike's gamne as it devloped that he was not the pure passer that he saw in Moore.

He reevaluated the team, and the AD said you need a way to win next year, make the changes necessary.

by chinookpirate at 4/12 12:10 PM

You're the one making the claim he was cut which is contrary to all other reports including Lancona... or did you forget already... again?

There is no violation if a player chooses to leave and the school grants the request.

by Glad Cougar at 4/12 1:27 PM

Originally posted by Coug1990:

Glad, very simple. Lancona is a good player that was not going to help them win next season. Because of last season, everything changed. Bone thought that last season was going to be much better than it was and therefore, he thought he had several years. After last season and after talking to Moos, he knows that he must be competitive next season. Hence, recruiting a point guard that is needed and letting go of a four that isn't needed as much.

I understand your point, but why not choose to not renew James Hunter's scholarship instead? (Maybe there is another JC power forward coming in and James will not be brought back, who knows?) By all accounts, Lancona was less of a project than Hawkinson. Why not ask Hawkinson to make other plans? There were probably other options available.

I'll wait and see if there's another part to the story (another recruit coming in) before passing final judgment. But like I said, at this point, this whole thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth. And like you said earlier, I can't recall WSU ever dropping a kid who had already signed a LOI.

Last year, the pressure to win forced Bone to demote Coach Hiro. This year, the pressure is forcing some of these recruiting decisions. Sure would be good if he could be successful enough to not be forced into these types of decisions.

Glad Cougar

Re: Ed, SIGNED letter of intent ... Bone is shaky as everyone else. (reply)

by Hoops Coug at 4/12 1:37 PM

Not sure WSU wants to get in the practice of cutting guys on signed letters of intent. If Tanner wanted to get picky, he could sue Bone and WSU. Others have won such cases. There's a reason they are signed and not verbal, it binds the kid to the school. Because he coached at a Christian school and plays the ethics card doesn't matter. He isn't really any different than anyone else out there. He coached a program full of dope smokers, ran a guy already signed, had two guys at PSU who got jailed in Mexico, had APR problems and NCAA violations at PSU ... and he's considered a saint?

Ask about his recruitment of guys on other teams' rosters while he was at SPU.

Mr. Rogers image and all, Ken Bone is no different than other college coaches ... and one might want to check Ray Lopes' brutal violations at Fresno, which got him booted from the NCAA. Is he still firing secretaries for not being "hot" enough?

Re: This stunt is slimey; fire Bone and staff (reply)

by Hoops Coug at 4/12 1:42 PM

Players don't have the same options as guys like Eastman and Graham. They both got jobs right away, and got paid the remainder of their WSU contracts. What are Tanner's options in April? This is a low-ball/dirt ball move by slimey Ken Bone, whose teams have been full of dope smokers and at PSU, downright criminals. Ken Bone is just another dirtball looking out for himself.

Lanconna may have some decent options, he may not. Eastman and Graham both landed on their feet with double incomes -- WSU and their next jobs. Tanner isn't getting paid. Why do we excuse coaches and stick it to the players?

Fire Ken Bone -- NOW! He's an embarrassment to WSU and the profession ... and I don't care if everyone else is doing it. He's an ethical slimeball.

Ask him about calling other small college players during the season at SPU saying, "You should leave your college and play for us."

Greaseball ... as is Lopes.

Re: Ava ... would you still bag WSU basketball if Bone is fired? (reply)

by Hoops Coug at 4/12 1:58 PM

I think you wrote that on Brand X if Bone is done, you're done with WSU basketball. Why? I ask you this because Ken Bone is no different than anyone else. His image crafting -- much like Eastman's false professorial image -- is one of the coach next door, the church-going man, the aw shucks guy who is supposed to fit in Pullman.

Upon closer inspection, his PSU teams had NCAA violations, two best players arrested and jailed in Mexico, had a weed problem on his WSU teams, hired a brutal NCAA violator in Ray Lopes, and his latest stunt of cutting a signed player in April. I'm not sure how others carry their lives and professions and I don't proclaim to be perfect, but if I acted like this in my job, I'd be fired a long time ago.

Bone is not an ethically sound guy. While "everyone else is doing it" might be the answer, I'd hope WSU is better than this. Ken Bone, sadly, needs to aim higher as a person and a coach.

Who said he is a saint? He is a frickin Bball coach (reply)

by CougEd at 4/12 2:06 PM

He is asked to win. He is asked to win for you, me, and the rest of the faithful, and to use all means possible.

Just because he attends church doesn't make him a perfect being. He is asked to play by the same rules as everyone else. While I may not like it, I am not going to ask any of our coaches to play with one hand tied behind their back. We have already told people winning is more important than some moral decisions.

We have had this discussion before...if we want to play the good saintly school, then I am sure you are all for Bone playing out his contract, not just getting paid but rather fulfilling his duties as coach...IE coaching games.

Re: Who said he is a saint? Bone himself (reply)

by Hoops Coug at 4/12 2:17 PM

He's played the saint card from day 1 and even in the last couple weeks said they're doing stronger character checks on people. I'm assuming this means the JC guys Lopes is bringing in, too. Lopes' Fresno teams were Criminal U.

I don't expect Bone to be a saint, I expect him to have an ounce of ethics that don't call for dropping a signed letter of intent guy in April. Perhaps he can sink lower, I'm not sure.

by dgibbons at 4/12 2:26 PM

You're the one making the claim he was cut which is contrary to all other reports including Lancona... or did you forget already... again?

There is no violation if a player chooses to leave and the school grants the request.

Wrong again.

Re: That's one take.... (reply)

by dgibbons at 4/12 2:29 PM

Another take would be he didn't want caught in the same situation. Maybe he thought Woolridge would progress or be better at the point than he was. Maybe he saw something in Ike's gamne as it devloped that he was not the pure passer that he saw in Moore.

He reevaluated the team, and the AD said you need a way to win next year, make the changes necessary.

Maybe you are clueless. In other words, situation normal.

Bone has his faults, wearing his religion and or ethics on his sleeve (reply)

by CougEd at 4/12 3:11 PM

is not one of them. When fans and schools honor their contracts, IE given a five year contract to coach, then they coach for 5 years, then we can hold our coaches to that standard. Winning is more important.

Re: Bone has his faults, wearing his religion and or ethics on his sleeve (reply)

by dgibbons at 4/12 3:19 PM

is not one of them. When fans and schools honor their contracts, IE given a five year contract to coach, then they coach for 5 years, then we can hold our coaches to that standard. Winning is more important.

If a certain former coach thought he had five years guarantied, he should have read his contract. The buyout after the 2010 season was basically the same as it was for firing him after the 2011 season.

What about Wulff's contract with Eastern? Should he have been forced to stay there when WSU came calling and offered him 3-4 times what he was making per year. He gave Eastern his word. That runs you into another ethical dilemma- called involuntary servitude. I apologize for getting all legal on you but involuntary servitude is prohibited by the 13th Amendment.

And by the way, I as a fan, do not have a contract with the coach.

Re: Bone has his faults, wearing his religion and or ethics on his sleeve (reply)

by Hoops Coug at 4/12 3:19 PM

So it's OK to screw a kid over because your school -- which has paid you nearly a million a year -- might not honor your contract?

I'm glad I don't share your ethics, Ed.

I am not the one who said fire Graham early on... (reply)

by CougEd at 4/12 3:30 PM

WSU signed him to a contract. But what fans are saying and demanding is that winning is more important.As you might recall I wasn't asking for Grahams head, or Eastman, even though they did damage to the university. But the winning genie is already out of the bottle.

Hoops...you are out of line... (reply)

by CougEd at 4/12 3:35 PM

He doesn't craft an image. He is what he is....very humble, I believe sincere, honest, goes to church (and I don't) and he is very passionate about winning at WSU. He is aw schucks...he like Pullman and the enviornment, and he wants to succeed there. And clearly through a mandate from Moos, another change had to be made.

by How_di...appen? at 4/12 4:30 PM

Avabob appears to get too attached to coaches at WSU. No matter their record or reputation.

This Lancona incident is really just another example of why Bone is not a guy we want to keep...as if we needed one.

Re: No...as the season went on it was very apparent they needed (reply)

by earldacoug at 4/12 5:33 PM

We'll see. There is more than 1 way to skin a cat.

Re: Oh, you mean like the one Brandon Golden and others have signed? (reply)

by YakiCoug at 4/12 6:06 PM

Brandon Golden got more than his one-year guarantee (scholarships are renewable year to year). Lancona didn't even get a year. The difference escapes you, but you are the champion defender of all things Wulff (notice how you indirectly inserted Wulff into this thread. You didn't start the thread, but you slid Wulff in here).

This post was edited on 4/12 6:15 PM by YakiCoug

No I'm not (reply)

by Hoops Coug at 4/12 6:11 PM

I'll give you the e-mail of a retired small college coach friend of mine and he can tell you how Bone was tampering with his players --- not recruits, players -- during the season when he was at SPU.

He's no different than anyone else.

by YakiCoug at 4/12 6:18 PM

Originally posted by How_did_this_happen?:

Avabob appears to get too attached to coaches at WSU. No matter their record or reputation.

This Lancona incident is really just another example of why Bone is not a guy we want to keep...as if we needed one.

Avabob and other locals like the idea of rubbing elbows with the Bones and Wulffs at Safeway, Dissmores, or Starbucks and having their existence validated more than they like winning WSU sports programs.

by ishoot3s at 4/12 7:03 PM

I always love reading the dramatics...

some of you guys are "super" armchair QBs

with no idea how the recruiting business goes... some of you.

it was mutual. Nobody was "cut" lose. honestly people..

by Coug1990 at 4/12 7:22 PM

I don't get that either. The only thing that I can think of is that Hunter is in school and Lancona is not.

Please do.... (reply)

by CougEd at 4/12 8:23 PM

But know I will ask and get an answer....

by SideWaysDown at 4/12 9:34 PM

El C, I'm pretty sure you said Bone's recruits for next year were garbage. Now it seems you think he has really good ones? I think it's really more a case of you looking for the opportunity to slam CKB. Classy.

Re: Hoops...you are out of line... (reply)

by How_di...appen? at 4/12 11:55 PM

No doubt Moos is putting the screws on Bone, as he should.

I only wonder why it took so long for Bone to figure out he better get some JC guys and a point guard with character who can lead the team.

As a coach, you absolutely have to get the PG position right.

Re: Hoops...you are out of line... (reply)

by Cougar Jon at 4/13 9:13 AM

Arguing about a guy who's only offers were San Francisco and UC Davis... Yeah what Bone did was messed up, but there's a reason why he did it, he found a better player in the JC guard to take his place.

by Glad Cougar at 4/13 11:55 AM

Time will tell if even the JC players he brings in will make a big difference. For every good JC the Cougars have recruited over the years, there are probably 2 that didn't contribute much. And a majority of them take a good year before they have a major impact. By that time, they are seniors.

I don't like the idea of running off kids who signed LOIs even before they get a chance to step on campus. How about the coaching staff show some confidence in their ability to make players like Lancona better?

Glad Cougar

by avabob at 4/13 3:57 PM

First, are you screwing a kid over worse by telling him the truth, or by letting him rot on the bench because he can't play at this level. Lancona was plan B to begin with when we missed on Allen who went to UCLA.

Also, Hoops, I said I would bag WSU basketball if Bone was fired this season. If we dont win next season I recognize that there will probably be a change, even if I am skeptical that it will be for the better.

For a bunch of win at all costs posters on these boards, there is sure a lot of self righteous indignation from the Bone haters when the guy does what other coaches do to improve the program.

By the way, I never met Wulff, and have said approximately 10 words to Bone ever.

This post was edited on 4/13 4:02 PM by avabob

by Glad Cougar at 4/13 5:27 PM

Originally posted by avabob:

First, are you screwing a kid over worse by telling him the truth, or by letting him rot on the bench because he can't play at this level. Lancona was plan B to begin with when we missed on Allen who went to UCLA.

Also, Hoops, I said I would bag WSU basketball if Bone was fired this season. If we dont win next season I recognize that there will probably be a change, even if I am skeptical that it will be for the better.

For a bunch of win at all costs posters on these boards, there is sure a lot of self righteous indignation from the Bone haters when the guy does what other coaches do to improve the program.

By the way, I never met Wulff, and have said approximately 10 words to Bone ever.

This post was edited on 4/13 4:02 PM by avabob

But Bob, aren't you at least a little surprised that the new assessment on Lancona is that he can't play at this level? I know that you spoke highly of him as a recruit and were glad to get him. So was I. If he had not been dropped this week, would your assessment of his abilities have still been positive? We were all led to believe that Tanner was a good player and you had singled him out as one to watch. Did the coaches badly reach on him last fall? If so, that doesn't give me a lot more confidence in their ability to recruit in the present and the future.

Glad Cougar

by How_di...appen? at 4/13 5:31 PM

Bob, you were very happy to have a guy like Lancona sign with us.

Is there ever an example where you actually thought a WSU coach couldn't cut it before they were fired?

I think you were still okay with Paul Graham at year four too!

This post was edited on 4/13 6:37 PM by How_did_this_happen?

Re: That's one take.... (reply)

by chinookpirate at 4/13 6:08 PM

rather than yet another mindless insult, this would have been a great time to add some of that searing insight and analysis you always imply yet never produce....

Maybe you are clueless. In other words, situation normal.

by ElComanche at 4/13 7:45 PM

No I said that Bone is garbage . I like Tanner Lacona's game and could not figure out why he would want to play for a coach like Bone. I hope that Bonehead says "aw shucks" when they boot him out of Pullman. I love that image! let s sort through the garbage some posters are putting out about Bonehead.Do i dislike Bonehead? No he is just a bad coach way in over his head who is raiding the WSU coffers.

by chinookpirate at 4/13 8:46 PM

well, Cheese, he obviously didn't want to play for Bone, which explains why Lancona sought his release from his LOI

This post was edited on 4/13 8:55 PM by chinookpirate

by ElComanche at 4/14 6:13 AM

Well Boner,perhaps he wised up and realized that he had made a mistake. Perhaps he realized that he was not dealing with a honorable man?. Perhaps he wants to play for a coach who wll be around for his entire college career? You boners are a sorry lot who will anything to protect the Bonehead.It is amazing the spin that board monitors on coug sports boards put on his actions.

by avabob at 4/14 9:21 AM

I was high on Lancona, based on some video I saw, and the fact he was being recruited by some decent programs. However those who saw him play continually cautioned me that he was very raw and not ready to contribute significantly as a freshman. I also know that Lancona was at best the third option last fall after Lexing opted for CU, and Allen chose UCLA.

I just dont understand why everyone has such a hard time believing that the decision was mutual. The kid didnt want to sit on the bench as a frosh, and Bone probably has strengthed the lineup to the point he doesnt believe Lancona could make the rotation. I think Bone would have kept Pat Simon, but he gave Simon an honest assessment of his likely playing opportunities and Simon opted to transfer. If Lancona would have said that he signed an LOI and was willing to take his chances, Bone probably keeps him.

by How_di...appen? at 4/14 9:34 AM

But how many big guys have come in and contributed significantly as freshman? Not many.

by YakiCoug at 4/14 10:00 AM

Originally posted by How_did_this_happen?:

Bob, you were very happy to have a guy like Lancona sign with us.

Is there ever an example where you actually thought a WSU coach couldn't cut it before they were fired?

I think you were still okay with Paul Graham at year four too!

This post was edited on 4/13 6:37 PM by How_did_this_happen?

It's clear that Ava and others who touted Lancona as evidence of Bone's recruiting prowess are now doing an about-face to explain away what could be a snafu on Bone's part. But as I said before, if Bone has two more JC prospects lined up and if they are truly difference makers, I'd also ask my high school signees to consider delaying their enrollment or going elsewhere. Bone has to win now.

by Glad Cougar at 4/14 10:19 AM

Originally posted by avabob:

I was high on Lancona, based on some video I saw, and the fact he was being recruited by some decent programs. However those who saw him play continually cautioned me that he was very raw and not ready to contribute significantly as a freshman. I also know that Lancona was at best the third option last fall after Lexing opted for CU, and Allen chose UCLA.

I just dont understand why everyone has such a hard time believing that the decision was mutual. The kid didnt want to sit on the bench as a frosh, and Bone probably has strengthed the lineup to the point he doesnt believe Lancona could make the rotation. I think Bone would have kept Pat Simon, but he gave Simon an honest assessment of his likely playing opportunities and Simon opted to transfer. If Lancona would have said that he signed an LOI and was willing to take his chances, Bone probably keeps him.

I guess it's going to boil down to whether or not Bone has already lined up some JC big man (men) who can come in and contribute significantly right away. Personally, I can't believe that Lancona really thought he was going to be playing a ton his freshman year anyway, but I could be wrong. I think this is only about freeing up a scholarship...hopefully for another big and not just for the JC point guard. (although another schollie needs to be freed up to bring in anyone else)

Glad Cougar

Top of Board

68, could you please give us a 2 paragraph summary just noting the highlights of the above. :rolleyes:

I didnt real much of it bit two things that stuck out to me...

1. Maybe he is leaving because of lack of charter flights.

2. We need to do a better job of keeping local kids.

Hmm? Where have I seen statements like this before?

68, could you please give us a 2 paragraph summary just noting the highlights of the above. :rolleyes:

Evidently, Bone and his assistant Lopes who was a Kelvin Sampson protege have to produce this season or get fired as Wash State

Has history prior two coaches got let go after year 4 of 5 year contract and Ken Bone was cellar dweller last year (3) after losing the point guard he was counting on: for Bones it was get Juco point guard who could do it now or watch another coach come in a year later and coach his recruits

No mention of TL not performing in a high school tournament in fact boosters question why another

Big Hawkins is still around as he seems more a project.

Tanner referred to as 6' 9" stretch forward who has stroke out to 22 feet. I hope he rebounds

We have to expect that TL is going to practice harder than anyone else on the team. I know I would be pissed if my favorite all time team did this to me.

I expect this kid to get a lot of minutes second semester; I hope rooms with McBroom or GG.

Central Michigan people say AB was a major loss for them and he shoots at every opportunity think Cotto with better grades