Jim Crews Deserves Some Serious Appreciation

Corner3

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Boy, the way Glenn Miller played. (Did you have any idea that's actually what she was saying?)

Yep....sadly....

Songs that made the hit parade....Gee our old lasalle ran great....those were the days......

Raise your hand if you had a grandfather with the same belief system as Archie Bunker.........

Yep....sadly....

Songs that made the hit parade....Gee our old lasalle ran great....those were the days......

Raise your hand if you had a grandfather with the same belief system as Archie Bunker.........

Yep....sadly....

Do dads count? If so, my hand's raised.

Back on topic A-Bomb?

Again, Moser did not get the players, he ran errands for Majerus.

The quality kids we have came here to play for Majerus.

Sure Moser was good at it... but Moser would not have landed the quality players we see today if, say, Billiken* Rich, for example, was our head coach.

(* went to SEMO)

Consider yourself on notice for pending litigation. I own all rights to the use of "*" on Billikens.com.

Do you know that JC can't recruit? His NCAA post season record is underwhelming but he was at the Purple Drank Aces it just seems like a tough sell.

-I admit this comes from a distance but it seems to me Crews is undergoing a change, in the beginning of the season he seemed somewhat relaxed on the sideline and this seems to be going away and is being replaced with a more, I'll call it aggressive style

I don't know if anyone heard Crews' postgame comments on Saturday, but he said that a group of his former players from West Point came to visit him, and they addressed the team in the locker room after the game. He also mentioned that he's been hearing from many of his former players from both Army and Evansville who have been following the Bills closely this season. I thought it was nice to hear, especially considering the rumors we'd heard about his reputation prior to coming to SLU.

I'd like to piggyback off of some of the points made in these three posts. Some of you who are calling for Coach Crews to get the job IF the Billikens make and do well in the NCAA Tournament are failing to take into account that there's a difference between coaching a team and running a program. The question is not what Coach Crews can do with this team but whether he can run a winning program. Even if the Bills were to win the 2013 National Championship under Crews, this is Rick Majerus's program. Would Crews be able to demonstrate that he is committed and able to sustain a highly successful program? I'm not saying that he can't, but his track record doesn't suggest (to me) that he would be able.
I'd like to piggyback off of some of the points made in these three posts. Some of you who are calling for Coach Crews to get the job IF the Billikens make and do well in the NCAA Tournament are failing to take into account that there's a difference between coaching a team and running a program. The question is not what Coach Crews can do with this team but whether he can run a winning program. Even if the Bills were to win the 2013 National Championship under Crews, this is Rick Majerus's program. Would Crews be able to demonstrate that he is committed and able to sustain a highly successful program? I'm not saying that he can't, but his track record doesn't suggest (to me) that he would be able.

Agreed completely. As we saw earlier in the year, our biggest recruit of last year left simply because he wasn't playing for Majerus. I cannot blame him at all for that decision, however I am still upset that we lost him. This is definitely our year to shine, and hopefully our success this year can help boost recruiting in the future. Majerus was the key factor in the decisions of a lot of our recruits, and reasonably so. I wasn't the biggest Crews fan at first, but he's growing on me. I'm anxious to see the talent he can rake in in the next couple years.

our biggest recruit of last year left simply because he wasn't playing for Majerus

that kid's going to feel like a real piece of sh!t next month when we're dumptrucking motherfuokers in the tournament and he's playing street hoops in his mom's living room.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Box and Won" data-cid="342137" data-time="1360602088"><p>

I don't know if anyone heard Crews' postgame comments on Saturday, but he said that a group of his former players from West Point came to visit him, and they addressed the team in the locker room after the game. He also mentioned that he's been hearing from many of his former players from both Army and Evansville who have been following the Bills closely this season. I thought it was nice to hear, especially considering the rumors we'd heard about his reputation prior to coming to SLU.</p></blockquote>

Why would guys come visit a coach who abused them physically and menatly?

Thats would be like Rhiana taking back Chris Brown.

Crews absolutely can't be the guy after this year. It makes zero sense. all you have to do is look at his 20+ year coaching/recruiting resume. it will be a huge step back if slu keeps him or he wants to stay.

"Absolutely"????

What if we win our first Conference Regular Season title in years?

What if we get to the Sweet 16 for the first time ever?

What if we finish the season in the Top 25 for the first time in over a decade?

What if we just get to the tournament and tie our best tournament performance?

What makes 0 sense is not waiting and seeing what happens next. Sometimes you're the right guy at the right place at the right time.

Also I was a lil' jealous Crews was bringing in these other Army officers to talk to the team. I know I didn't play basketball but come on coach I'm the biggest Army Officer SLU fan I know. (maybe the only one). Or maybe you're just saving me for the NCAA to give a pep talk. Hit me up I'll make myself available and start prepping a speech that'll have these guys ready to run through a wall.

"Absolutely"????

What if we win our first Conference Regular Season title in years?

What if we get to the Sweet 16 for the first time ever?

What if we finish the season in the Top 25 for the first time in over a decade?

What if we just get to the tournament and tie our best tournament performance?

What makes 0 sense is not waiting and seeing what happens next. Sometimes you're the right guy at the right place at the right time.

+1

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Box and Won" data-cid="342171" data-time="1360606769"><p>

Perhaps the stories we heard may have been embellished/blown out of proportion?</p></blockquote>

In the internet message board/twitter era?

Thats highly unlikely.

Plenty of people right here on this board have told stories about how abusive he was.

They wouldnt emblish things to support their agendas would they?

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Box and Won" data-cid="342171" data-time="1360606769"><p>

Perhaps the stories we heard may have been embellished/blown out of proportion?</p></blockquote>

In the internet message board/twitter era?

Thats highly unlikely.

Plenty of people right here on this board have told stories about how abusive he was.

They wouldnt emblish things to support their agendas would they?

Totally impossible.

The problem at SLU hasn't really been the coaching ability. Everyone from Grawer to Spoon, Romar, even Sodie, seemed to be able to game plan and make adjustments and get the best out of what he had to work with. The problem has always been RECRUITING to SLU. We need someone who can both coach AND recruit to a place where players are not exactly knocking down the doors.

If Crews (or his assistants) can successfully do that, then by all means he should be considered. The problem is, we have no way of knowing whether he can do that.