Jim Crews Deserves Some Serious Appreciation

Corner3

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="cheeseman" data-cid="342563" data-time="1360786888"><p>

OK - I am confused. Everybody says how hard it is to recruit to SLU - so why would Crews not be like all the others before him except for RM? You can not discount his prior recruiting record for any of the reasons listed above since they are his history and history is a predictor of how a person will perform.</p></blockquote>

Being a good bench coach, Crews should have an eye for talent and determining who in the second to third tier of recruits can thrive in his system.

SLU has more recruiting advantages than Evansville (and certainly Army), so Crews should benefit from that.

I came across a Jim Crews thread on Evansville's message board and found these two posts, which I thought were kind of interesting.

Jim Crews was the 2nd best coach the Aces ever had, with Arad being #1. I was a huge Crews fan, his downfall as coach came when he was forced to work with a AD that didn't share his vision for the bb program and then had to do it with a severely reduced recruiting budget.....The coach then grew frustrated with everything and it was time to move on and leave UE. I hope that Coach Crews is named the full time coach (if he wants it) at Saint Louis.

and

Agree, Crews was the Aces second best coach, but best coach to date in the Aces short D1 history. He had many good teams and he was put in a lousy situation by a lousy President Vincent with the AD mess. Had this not happened and had a few recruits not decided to leave for X reason (Justin Farley, Emi Morales and others) there is no telling how long he may have stayed at UE. I think he really liked it here but it was time for a change.

No one is more deserving of getting the Billikens job that Coach Crews.

I didn't read the entire thread, but if we made say the sweet 16 ... Jim Crewa would then be a coach that has led his team to the sweet 16. The media would be loving him and with the RM dying story, it'd be all over espn. That alone would give him some clout with recruits.

I didn't read the entire thread, but if we made say the Final Four ... Jim Crews would then be a coach that has led his team to the Final Four. The media would be loving him and with the RM dying story, it'd be all over espn. That alone would give him some clout with recruits.

FIFY

This would be a much better story if the Crews goes out on top. Cinncinnatus returning to his farm after leading the Billiken Republic to glory. A dead coach, a reluctant replacement, a final four, you could sell this stuff to Hollywood if it happened on the east coast. Of course that's assuming the reluctant replacement doesn't linger on past his expiration date, dragging his team to the dank cellar of mediocrity......

I hope this thread never dies. If Jimmy Crews can lead us to the Final 4 this year, he gets a 3-5 year grace period to coach our Billikens, nearly complaint free. See you fools in Atlanta.

The complaints would start right after the spring signing period and would build to we made the worst decision ever after not beating Rockhurst by 25 in a exhibition game.

I was just told about an article that goes over the plane crash and tells about the history of the University of Evansville program and their post plane crash story. This recaps what Jim Crews walked into when he took over the U of E program in the 1985-1986 season. This article was written 2 months ago in December because it was the 35th anniversary of the plane crash.

http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/2012/12/the-day-the-basketball-died-the-35th-anniversary-of-the-plane-crash-that-took-the-lives-of-the-evansville-basketball-team/

One of the facts that I had forgotten is that Jerry Sloan had taken the coaching job at Evansville in 1977, his alma mater, but resigned after 5 days. His replacement was Bobby Watson who died with his team in the crash.

(Part of Jerry Sloan's speech on his induction to the Basketball Hall of Fame): I was offered the position of head coach at Evansville . . . . Unfortunately, I lasted five days. I resigned for personal reasons and went back to Chicago. I was replaced by Bobby Watson in Evansville and sadly he was killed, in that fall, along with the entire basketball team and traveling staff.

Their plane crashed on takeoff while leaving Evansville and everyone was killed on that team. That incident on December 13, 1977 made me realize that there are a lot more things more important than basketball, even though I love this game.

It's mentioned in this story but not the reaction of Larry Bird. I remember Larry Bird talking to an Indy reporter about his reaction. Evansville was 1-3 when the plane crash happened. They had lost to Larry Bird's Indiana State team before the crash and Larry told the reporter that the faces of those Purple Aces players haunted him for the rest of the 1977-78 season. It was March 1979 when Bird and Magic Johnson clashed and started their famous friendship in the National Championship game only one season later.

http://licensedtoblog.wordpress.com/2007/12/12/december-13-1977-a-night-that-will-never-be-forgotten-in-evansville-indiana/

This story, written on the 30th anniversary of the tragedy, recalls the plane crash in less detail but mentions the influence of Jim Crews on the history of U of E basketball.

In the following years, the team was rebuilt and achieved notable success in the 80s and early 90s. Players like Brad Leaf, Theren Bullock, Scott Haffner (who once scored 65 points in a game for UE, sixth all time for a single game in NCAA division I history), Dan Godfread, Andy Elkins, Reed Jackson, Marcus Wilson, and the aforementioned Simmons brought wins and glory to the program. Head Coach Jim Crews received national attention as the team piled up wins in front of home crowds that regularly reached 9,000 and 10,000 in Roberts Stadium. The team advanced to play in the NCAA tournament a few times, despite being one of the smallest universities in division I sports.

Article by Pat Ford listing Crews as one of the Top Coaches

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaab--coaching--who-s-doing-it-right--who-s-doing-it-wrong-and-who-s-gone-a-bit-crazy-074946843.html

Also list the SLU VCU the game of the week.

Good link...I keep forgetting how long of a leash both Ben Howland and Rick Barnes are on in Westwood and Austin, respectively. Both incredibly overrated. I love seeing how God-awful Texas is this year. Makes my freaking day.

Buried in the story a bit, but:

Should be a national coach of the year candidate but isn't (yet): Jim Crews, Saint Louis

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8962913/first-second-year-coaches-making-big-impact-new-programs-college-basketball

Plus Vitale's thoughts:

http://espn.go.com/espn/dickvitale/story/_/id/8966804/jim-larranaga-leads-wide-open-race-coach-year

Jim Crews, Saint Louis
He had the tough assignment of taking over following the passing of Rick Majerus. He also started the season without star Kwamain Mitchell. The Billikens just blasted VCU.

Jim Crews just keeps looking better and better on and off the court. He was praised today by Bernie and Bilas. Recent great pub because of the Army grads who spoke to the Bills after the Richmond game. And yesterday, around noon, Chris May was on the Zack and Rammer show. When Rammer brought up the topic of the "interim tag", May replied that when he asked JC to take the job for this season, JC said that he would accept on one condition. He wanted the focus to be on the players, not him, so May and JC agreed not to discuss the job title or coach status during the season. This answers the question some national writers have asked "When are they going to remove the "interim" title ?". Imo, if Crews wants the job moving forward, he's earned it. I wouldn't trade the situation we're currently in for a young coach who only might be able to recruit hotshot talents to SLU. I'm not looking for a bag of magic beans. Hope Crews wants to stay. If not, that's a whole new ballgame.

Both parties now have an interest in waiting to take off the interim tag.

The coach doesn't need the distraction of a contract negotiation right now. There is the outside chance the season could tank. As he keeps winning Crew's stock continues to rise. If they offered him at the beginning of the season perhaps a marginal raise would've signed Crews. That is complete speculation. However, after the season to date he can ask for more money.

This is just ancillary but Coach Crews still looks like he is in good shape and could play some pick up basketball. Also he is polished and well spoken in interviews.

depending on his surrounding staff, i now could see crews. i am not in love with the choice, especially considering we really have no recruiter to speak of and crews has admitted he doesnt like to recruit himself, but after last night, which i think he was splendid in his decision making and game management, crews obviously has a lot of coach left in his tank.

that all said, probably the most important part of coaching college division one basketball and being a success happens from roughly may 1 through September 1. not the season. there are fans in the stands that can make out game plans and substitution patterns. (before anyone jumps on that, just a statement, crews is obviously a basketball mind supreme based on rickma's endorsement.) but player selection, staff assembly, player and staff development, overall student life management of the roster is beyond an easy task. crews hasnt done it for awhile and wasnt good at it previously.

depending on his surrounding staff, i now could see crews. i am not in love with the choice, especially considering we really have no recruiter to speak of and crews has admitted he doesnt like to recruit himself, but after last night, which i think he was splendid in his decision making and game management, crews obviously has a lot of coach left in his tank.

that all said, probably the most important part of coaching college division one basketball and being a success happens from roughly may 1 through September 1. not the season. there are fans in the stands that can make out game plans and substitution patterns. (before anyone jumps on that, just a statement, crews is obviously a basketball mind supreme based on rickma's endorsement.) but player selection, staff assembly, player and staff development, overall student life management of the roster is beyond an easy task. crews hasnt done it for awhile and wasnt good at it previously.

Recruiting is the huge issue, obviously. However it seems like SLU is doing a lot more "boots on the ground" recruiting - at least in the STL area. Maybe Tanner, and a real dynamite Assistant Head Coach/ Lead Recruiter could pick up the slack.

Recruiting is the huge issue, obviously. However it seems like SLU is doing a lot more "boots on the ground" recruiting - at least in the STL area. Maybe Tanner, and a real dynamite Assistant Head Coach/ Lead Recruiter could pick up the slack.

my hope would be they could bring in a flash that has bigtime ready recruits in hand. there is no denying that with mitchell, ellis and remeken about to depart, we need ready to play recruits next year.

Lets stop the hire Jim Crews talk. It is a nice speaking point to anyone doing an interview with him, or other coaches getting asked the question. However, RM built this team and Crews has filled the coaching void this year while we wait to sign our next long term coach. Our program is on the rise, we'll get into the new conference, and should shoot high. Nothing against Crews, I am happy with the job he's done in a tough situation, but we won't be big time until we think and act big time. There is a lot more required of our next coach than just an Xs and Os guy which is what a temporary coach proves. Crews benefits big time from this season even if it doesn't end up with him staying here.

That said, thanks Crews! Keep up the good work!

Lets stop the hire Jim Crews talk. It is a nice speaking point to anyone doing an interview with him, or other coaches getting asked the question. However, RM built this team and Crews has filled the coaching void this year while we wait to sign our next long term coach. Our program is on the rise, we'll get into the new conference, and should shoot high. Nothing against Crews, I am happy with the job he's done in a tough situation, but we won't be big time until we think and act big time. There is a lot more required of our next coach than just an Xs and Os guy which is what a temporary coach proves. Crews benefits big time from this season even if it doesn't end up with him staying here.

That said, thanks Crews! Keep up the good work!

ditto from other thread

i am ok with a 2 year extension. something in the range of 4-5 years is egregious.

but, he must recruit. if we get into the new league, no reason for us not to nab 3-4 star recruits consistently.

I'm really not sure what to think anymore. But can you give a guy 2 years and expect him to be able to recruit effectively?