Jim Crews Deserves Some Serious Appreciation

Corner3

not sure i agree with henson had the better talent between henson and knight. indiana had some very very good players. i cant think of a better player than isiah thomas that the illini had.

Not to mention other names like Steve Alford, Calbert Cheaney, Alan Henderson and Damon Bailey. Most seasons, Knight had a POY contender on his roster. I don't buy that Henson had better rosters than Knight and underachieved with them.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to mention other names like Steve Alford, Calbert Cheaney, Alan Henderson and Damon Bailey. Most seasons, Knight had a POY contender on his roster. I don't buy that Henson had better rosters than Knight and underachieved with them.

Reasonable minds can certainly disagree. That said, how many of the IU names mentioned were considered top flight recruits vs. being ones who thrived in Knight's system (it's an honest question, not saying they were or weren't). What's more, how often did Knight get 2 or 3 top flight guys in a recruiting class? Henson regularly seemed to (and a fair amount of credit for doing so at least goes to Asst. Jimmy Collins as well).

I get the desire to want another Majerus type hire that will generate enthusiasm and national interest, but I also put every bit as much weight when I hear coaches like Tom Izzo tout Crews' ability and his recommendation that Crews' be given the permanent job to succeed Majerus.

No matter what, I truly believe this a Sweet 16 team, maybe better. As others have pointed out, it's Crews' job if that happens.

That team with Liberty, Anderson, and Kendall Gill was one of the best put together teams ive ever seen.

plus imo another example of how underated lou was as a coach, that final four team, really didnt have a traditional center. the biggest guys were liberty who was a guard in a forwards stretch body that didnt play defense and didnt like contact, and lowell hamilton who was listed at 6'7" and was probably more like 6'4" same with kenny battle, who was pure inside player, but was probably a legit 6'4" as well. but they indeed were fun to watch fly up and down the court and played "small" in the rough and tumble days of the old big ten.

And if Ben Wilson had not been killed while a senior in high school, they would have won it all.

my memory says that ben wilson had not committed at the time of his murder. it was rumored he was leaning illini, but indiana and depaul were still very much in the picture. his h.s. teamate nick anderson though did go to illinois.

my memory says that ben wilson had not committed at the time of his murder. it was rumored he was leaning illini, but indiana and depaul were still very much in the picture. his h.s. teamate nick anderson though did go to illinois.

Wilson was a great 30 for 30.

isnt there now some sort of tradition in the city of chicago that "the" player each year in the city wear's ben wilson's uniform number?

And if Ben Wilson had not been killed while a senior in high school, they would have won it all.

Actually, if the zebras hadn't completely swallowed the whistle and called the push off (Rice?) under the basket with less than 2 seconds left, they might have won it all as well.

OK, I was a huge "Flyin' Illini" fan at that time, so I'm still a little bitter....

plus imo another example of how underated lou was as a coach, that final four team, really didnt have a traditional center. the biggest guys were liberty who was a guard in a forwards stretch body that didnt play defense and didnt like contact, and lowell hamilton who was listed at 6'7" and was probably more like 6'4" same with kenny battle, who was pure inside player, but was probably a legit 6'4" as well. but they indeed were fun to watch fly up and down the court and played "small" in the rough and tumble days of the old big ten.

I forgot about Kenny Battle. He was very similar to Bonner from what I remember. They had a big guard Bardo? it think, who was a great defender as well. What a team!!

"Absolutely"????

What if we win our first Conference Regular Season title in years?

What if we get to the Sweet 16 for the first time ever?

What if we finish the season in the Top 25 for the first time in over a decade?

What if we just get to the tournament and tie our best tournament performance?

What makes 0 sense is not waiting and seeing what happens next. Sometimes you're the right guy at the right place at the right time.

Also I was a lil' jealous Crews was bringing in these other Army officers to talk to the team. I know I didn't play basketball but come on coach I'm the biggest Army Officer SLU fan I know. (maybe the only one). Or maybe you're just saving me for the NCAA to give a pep talk. Hit me up I'll make myself available and start prepping a speech that'll have these guys ready to run through a wall.

+1

I think it is unfair to compare Crews' recruiting over a decade ago at a different school, under completely different circumstances to what he may be able to do here. If Brad Stevens or Bill Self or Shaka Khan or someone like that is DYING to coach the Billikens, then let's get him. But I don't want to just take a different guy for the sake of NOT taking Crews. And I was not a Crews supporter earlier in the season.

I have not been a fan of many of Crews' decisions, lack of decisions, or inaction for a number of games this year. That being said, I think he has done a remarkable job with the situation he's been thrown into. The guy didn't Coach a game for over 4 years. There is a difference between being a HC and an AC even if you are on the same team. I said in a thread before Christmas that Crews would get better as the year went along, and he has gotten better. He is more engaged and more passionate as well. This team is playing very well and seem to be responding to him.

I will not be doing cartwheels if he did get the job, but I wouldn't be upset either. My concern is to keep the program building in the right direction. We have the facilities and by all counts it seems the good Dr. C will continue to support this program. This may be another opportunity to make a big splash. We should be a tourney team again and we have some great returning players for next year. This will be a very attractive job and a younger, go-getter Coach may be better for the long term. If JC came back for next year and with the players he'll have I think he will have another good year. But, what if things do not continue, will this job be as attractive in a couple of years? It may be attractive, but not as attractive as it should be this year.

Would Jim Crews be a good hire - yes. Would he be a GREAT hire? My opinion is no as I think there will be better candidates out there that can take us further.

I think this is kind of a silly statement. When taking a look at his overall record as a HC, you have to take into consideration that he spent 7 seasons at Army. The fact is, NOBODY wins at Army. The reason is because you cannot recruit there. At all. Everyone that goes to Army has to get a Congressional nomination and go through a rigorous nomination and selection process. Only 10% of the applicants to West Point are chosen to attend. If you are a basketball head coach, this does not present you with a great opportunity to recruit talent.

And, despite this, Crews did make headway with that team. He got them to improve to 15-16 in 2006-07, which was the most wins in a season since 1984-85. In 2006-07 and 2007-08, they went a combined 29-32, which was their best two-year stretch since Coach K coached them in the late '70's. In his last three seasons at Army, his teams had double-digit wins, which is an admirable achievement considering the limitations placed on him. Yes, he went 59-140 there in 7 seasons, but you'd be hard pressed to find ANY coach who would have been able to do more in that span at that time.

And as for Evansville, his record there was 294-209 for a .584 winning percentage. He coached there for 17 seasons and only had 4 losing seasons. He was the MCC Coach of the Year 3 times and the MVC Coach of the Year once. His teams were conference champs 5 times and won 2 conference tournaments. He got to the NCAA tourney 4 times and the NIT twice. While it is up for debate on whether these accomplishments are enough for Crews to be given the reigns of this program, I wouldn't say it is 'asinine to think he's capable of running a program', as you stated. He ran a program for 17 seasons, and for the most part, did a fine job of doing so.

Great points. I went back and looked at Army's history. Given the recruiting requirements, it explains why Army's only post season appearances are the NIT. I think a rational and objective person would not use Crews' experience at Army as an input in the decision about whether he can recruit.

Recruiting at SLU > Recruiting at Army (still...be all that you can be!!!!)

henson was the coach there for 20 years got to 12 ncaa tourney's, 2 sweet 16's and 1 elite 8 team besides the 1 final four team. imo the only other possibly worthy final four team would have been the bruce douglas teams in the mid 80's and they made a sweet 16 and an elite 8 run. all in all, i think we would all just about kill to have had a coach with the ncaa tourney success of lou henson.

One of my best friends played for Lou from 93 to 97 at Illinois. Lou was a fair recruiter. He had 2 big time recruiting assistants that actually landed most of the recruits. He was able to win with big time talent but probably could have won more if he had been a better x and o guy. His defense was very structured but the offense was completely freelance that allowed guys to run without structure to the point that cost them many games they should have won.

OK - I am confused. Everybody says how hard it is to recruit to SLU - so why would Crews not be like all the others before him except for RM? You can not discount his prior recruiting record for any of the reasons listed above since they are his history and history is a predictor of how a person will perform.

OK - I am confused. Everybody says how hard it is to recruit to SLU - so why would Crews not be like all the others before him except for RM? You can not discount his prior recruiting record for any of the reasons listed above since they are his history and history is a predictor of how a person will perform.

Recruiting at SLU should be 1000x easier than it has ever been. Back to back tourney appearances (hopefully), amazing facilities, a great conference (for the time being), and a mega-booster who has taken an interest in the team should make a coach's life a lot easier.

Recruiting at SLU should be 1000x easier than it has ever been. Back to back tourney appearances (hopefully), amazing facilities, a great conference (for the time being), and a mega-booster who has taken an interest in the team should make a coach's life a lot easier.

I keep hearing about this mega booster - I think many may be over estimating Dr. C's role in this matter. No where have I actually seen any hard evidence to this fact other than what those who say he is saying it. So, if someone has actual info on this matter please share. I know some will say he gave a big chunk to build the arena - yes but that could have been a one time donation. I am not arguing about this just looking for actual proof other than rumor. I know that I have been told the salary for RM was covered by two other local boosters. Please illuminate. When Spoon was here he had back to back tourney trips and where did that lead us - Romar who had one trip his first year and it took the Cincy star to break his leg in the game. BS was a dud. I know you will say the arena and I agree that that helps but do you think that alone changes things? - a possible new conf helps but don't count your chickens before they hatch. I am not ready to say we are like Duke when it comes to recruiting - anybody can do it.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Corner3" data-cid="342471" data-time="1360723419"><p>

<br />

One of my best friends played for Lou from 93 to 97 at Illinois. Lou was a fair recruiter. He had 2 big time recruiting assistants that actually landed most of the recruits. He was able to win with big time talent but probably could have won more if he had been a better x and o guy. His defense was very structured but the offense was completely freelance that allowed guys to run without structure to the point that cost them many games they should have won.</p></blockquote>

Lou Henson was running a dirty program and Jimmy Collins was the bag man. Skywalker and the boys were getting paid like a UK one and done.

And Henson was a dogshit game coach.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Corner3" data-cid="342471" data-time="1360723419"><p>

<br />

One of my best friends played for Lou from 93 to 97 at Illinois. Lou was a fair recruiter. He had 2 big time recruiting assistants that actually landed most of the recruits. He was able to win with big time talent but probably could have won more if he had been a better x and o guy. His defense was very structured but the offense was completely freelance that allowed guys to run without structure to the point that cost them many games they should have won.</p></blockquote>

Lou Henson was running a dirty program and Jimmy Collins was the bag man. Skywalker and the boys were getting paid like a UK one and done.

And Henson was a dogshit game coach.

yes sir you are 100% correct on all points.

ST. LOUIS – Jim Platt,

A 1973 graduate of Concordia (Ill.) University, Platt is a member of the school’s Athletic Hall of Fame following standout playing careers on the basketball and baseball teams.

Does SLU allow Lutherans to work there?

http://www.cuchicago.edu/about-concordia/luthern-heritage/

Concordia is historically famous for educating many of the teachers in the Lutheran school system. They also have a pre-seminary program.

http://www.cucougars.com/hof.aspx?hof=43&path=&kiosk=

Athletic Hall of Fame
Jim Platt Class of 1973

Induction Class of 2003

Jim Platt, ’73, graduated Concordia with a B.A. in education. He was a four-year letterman in basketball and baseball, serving as team captain in both sports during his senior year. Platt’s basketball prowess as a point guard resulted in setting assist records for a single season (193) and career (443).

Upon graduation, Platt taught physical education and coached boys’ varsity basketball at Luther High School North in Chicago. In 1978, he began his collegiate coaching profession as an assistant at Illinois State University. Platt moved on to DePaul University in 1984 where he joined Joey Meyer’s staff. His six seasons at DePaul included five NCAA Tournament appearances, and he was named as one of the 20 top assistant coaches in college basketball in 1989.

In 1990, Platt earned his first head coach’s position at the University of Arkansas at Little Rock. His four-year tenure there included a 1991-92 team that went 18-12 and reached the semifinals of the Sun Belt Conference Tournament. Following assistant coaching stints at the University of Tulsa and Florida State University, Platt assumed the head position at Charleston Southern University in 2000. He was named the Big South Conference Coach of the Year in 2001, and he led his 2002-03 team to a second place finish.

Platt has served as a church and community speaker and has led many clinics, camps, and youth reading programs with athletes. He has been an active member of the National Association of Basketball Coaches and the Fellowship of Christian Athletes.

Edited by bbtds

I'd also like to remind you about what I said about Jim Crews when he was named as interim head coach:

bbtds, on 26 Aug 2012 - 03:41, said:snapback.png

When Jim Crews took over the UE head coaching job they hadn't had much success since the team started over. Jim had taken over a program that before the tragedy had been very successful and won a few "college division" national championships in the 50's and 60's. They were starved for a winning season. It only took Jim Crews, who had played on Indiana's 1976 undefeated national championship team (with Quinn Buckner, Kent Benson, etc.), two years to turn Evansville back into a winner. By 1988-89 UE was 25-6. If there is a guy who is good at handling a team in a stressful situation it is Jim Crews.