Jim Crews Deserves Some Serious Appreciation

Corner3

This is my first post on the board and I know none of you know me. I have been a Billiken Season Ticket holder for 6 years. I did not attend SLU but I live on the Illinois side and love college basketball. I love SLU BBall and am always checking the board to see what you lifers are seeing and how you are feeling. That said, You all will think I am probably pretty silly with what I am about to say but here it goes.

I personally am amazed at what Jim Crews has been able to accomplish with these guys this year so far. Just think about it for a second objectively. He came here as a favor to RM last year as a temporary situation to help out a friend. Obviously RM thought he was worthy enough to be on his staff to ask him for a favor and come help. I trust RM considering he assembled the team you all see as probably the most talented 1 thru 10 ever at SLU. JC stepped up when asked and took the lead with these young men when they were in a place of need. He did not recruit these kids. None of the assistants recruited these kids.He did not meet their parents. He had to build trust and earn respect after the fact. He only met them last year and it is my guess that he was more of a help to the staff last year than the players. Some have criticized his decisions at times and his lack of fire as well. I personally see a man that was getting to know these young men and how to deal with the individual personalities to get the most of their ability. Don't get me wrong, I do not think that JC is John Wooden by any means. But I do see a group of kids that is starting to gel under a man that has stepped up in a time of great need for a bunch of 18-21 year olds that just lost everything that they thought was right about their basketball and school decision. In my humble opinion, I think JC has done one of the best coaching Jobs in the country this year in gaining the respect of these kids and getting them to play as hard for him as they played for RM. That to me is a testament to the character of these kids and that JC made the effort to find out who they all are and find his way of coaching them up that molds to their abilities.

I will probably get mauled for this comment, but I think SLU is doing themselves a big disservice by not offering him the job right now and giving him a fighting chance at a recruit or two this year. Please don't be so naive as to think that this crawford kid signed because he wanted a SLU education. I know SLU is a great school but a kid ranked 1 i his class has the pick of what school he will attend academically. Jim Crews had a lot to do with this young man signing with SLU. Numerous tourney appearances with Evansville and Army and the job he has done this year gets a chance with me to be the SLU coach for real.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me put this into terms us Catholics would understand: Jim Crews is Benedict XVI.

It's all the same, only the names will change. - Jon Bon Jovi

Jim Crews is a Nazi?

Under the circumstances I think is disgraceful, the vicious posts against Crews are not appropriate at all.

He came here as a veteran to help as an assistant and was thrust into a very difficult situation, following a HOF legend, the coach that ALL of the players came to play for, to follow, the reason they all came to SLU. Crews has handled it relatively well.

Two letdown games against Santa Clara and RI hurt, those sort of games are sometimes hard to prevent no matter who is coaching.

Sure I think our record would be beter with Majerus but hey Crews is sucking it up and we are in play, in the hunt after the Butler win. A good run and we are in the dance.

I do not know if he wants the job next yr, but if we get in the C7+, l think we should be able to find an excellent, younger up and comer to coach here. IF.

If we do not get in, and Crews wants the job, hey, I do not see how we can do much better.

Give him a break. And damn, some of you, try to show some class.

I will probably get mauled for this comment, but I think SLU is doing themselves a big disservice by not offering him the job right now and giving him a fighting chance at a recruit or two this year.

I hope this isn't considered to be a mauling, but I disagree. I do appreciate what Crews has done this year, in that he took over a difficult situation. The situation got even more difficult once Majerus died. Regardless of how this season ends, SLU fans should be grateful to him for leading the program and being there for the players through what has to be an emotional season.

My issue with the thought of Jim Crews as the permanent head coach at SLU is that I just don't see him as an adequate long-term option. The guy is in his late 50s or early 60s, and if we were to hire an older coach, he would have to be a big name who could make a huge impression in a shorter tenure. I don't see Crews as that guy. Recruiting is huge in college basketball, and from where I'm sitting, Crews brings nothing to the table in that regard. When he came to SLU last season, he had not worked at a school that gave athletic scholarships in the past 10 years.

Given the Chaifetz Arena, what will hopefully be back-to-back NCAA berths, and a big money donor who appears to be willing to kick in money for a good coach's salary, SLU's coaching position has never been in a position to appear more desirable to coaching candidates. That doesn't equal Jim Crews.

Let me put this into terms us Catholics would understand: Jim Crews is Benedict XVI.

It's all the same, only the names will change. - Jon Bon Jovi

Jim Crews is a Nazi?

Now that's just stupid and uncalled for.

Crews has done well in a difficult situation. The expectations were high for this team after how last season ended. So far we are doing as well as we did last year. I'm not jazzed about offering him the job. He is not a sexy choice. But if he were to make it to the Sweet 16 well then we may have to; if he were to get to the round of 32 they'll have to think about it hard.

He didn't get Army to the NCAA. They've never had a NCAA Tournament appearance. Evansville was a long time ago.

I sat through the Santa Clara game where I thought he must have died on the bench. Lately though, Rhody notwithstanding, I have to give him props for apparently still having some good coaching in him. But going forward, we need somebody younger that can recruit as well as coach and that an 18 year old kid can relate to. I just don't think Jim Crews has it in him.

After our game last night plenty of national types were saying Jim Crews should be handed the reins to the program.

I thank Crews for what he has done and what he will do. It's not easy. Then I rewatch the RI game.

He is a 1 year fix. He will not be our coach next year, he doesn't want to be our coach next year and he won't be.

I will probably get mauled for this comment, but I think SLU is doing themselves a big disservice by not offering him the job right now and giving him a fighting chance at a recruit or two this year.

I hope this isn't considered to be a mauling, but I disagree. I do appreciate what Crews has done this year, in that he took over a difficult situation. The situation got even more difficult once Majerus died. Regardless of how this season ends, SLU fans should be grateful to him for leading the program and being there for the players through what has to be an emotional season.

My issue with the thought of Jim Crews as the permanent head coach at SLU is that I just don't see him as an adequate long-term option. The guy is in his late 50s or early 60s, and if we were to hire an older coach, he would have to be a big name who could make a huge impression in a shorter tenure. I don't see Crews as that guy. Recruiting is huge in college basketball, and from where I'm sitting, Crews brings nothing to the table in that regard. When he came to SLU last season, he had not worked at a school that gave athletic scholarships in the past 10 years.

Given the Chaifetz Arena, what will hopefully be back-to-back NCAA berths, and a big money donor who appears to be willing to kick in money for a good coach's salary, SLU's coaching position has never been in a position to appear more desirable to coaching candidates. That doesn't equal Jim Crews.

So the kids are going to coach themselves to hopefully a second NCAA birth? If there is a second NCAA birth then maybe one of the current players can coach as well next year. I completely agre that JC isn't the long term answer but are you not shooting yourself in the foot by hanging an interem tag on anyone? Give him the job and actively look to replace him behind the scenes. Give him one year with option contracts. Let him get some of our assistants on the road to recruit. Get SLU intheir face and talk up the possible C7. It may at least lay the groundwork with a kid should a new coach come in.

After our game last night plenty of national types were saying Jim Crews should be handed the reins to the program.

I thank Crews for what he has done and what he will do. It's not easy. Then I rewatch the RI game.

He is a 1 year fix. He will not be our coach next year, he doesn't want to be our coach next year and he won't be.

Not what one of the top 5 basketball boosters says.

Not what one of the top 5 basketball boosters says.

I really only care what our top booster says, the one who will be paying our new coach's salary.

This is my first post on the board and I know none of you know me. I have been a Billiken Season Ticket holder for 6 years. I did not attend SLU but I live on the Illinois side and love college basketball. I love SLU BBall and am always checking the board to see what you lifers are seeing and how you are feeling. That said, You all will think I am probably pretty silly with what I am about to say but here it goes.

I personally am amazed at what Jim Crews has been able to accomplish with these guys this year so far. Just think about it for a second objectively. He came here as a favor to RM last year as a temporary situation to help out a friend. Obviously RM thought he was worthy enough to be on his staff to ask him for a favor and come help. I trust RM considering he assembled the team you all see as probably the most talented 1 thru 10 ever at SLU. JC stepped up when asked and took the lead with these young men when they were in a place of need. He did not recruit these kids. None of the assistants recruited these kids.He did not meet their parents. He had to build trust and earn respect after the fact. He only met them last year and it is my guess that he was more of a help to the staff last year than the players. Some have criticized his decisions at times and his lack of fire as well. I personally see a man that was getting to know these young men and how to deal with the individual personalities to get the most of their ability. Don't get me wrong, I do not think that JC is John Wooden by any means. But I do see a group of kids that is starting to gel under a man that has stepped up in a time of great need for a bunch of 18-21 year olds that just lost everything that they thought was right about their basketball and school decision. In my humble opinion, I think JC has done one of the best coaching Jobs in the country this year in gaining the respect of these kids and getting them to play as hard for him as they played for RM. That to me is a testament to the character of these kids and that JC made the effort to find out who they all are and find his way of coaching them up that molds to their abilities.

I will probably get mauled for this comment, but I think SLU is doing themselves a big disservice by not offering him the job right now and giving him a fighting chance at a recruit or two this year. Please don't be so naive as to think that this crawford kid signed because he wanted a SLU education. I know SLU is a great school but a kid ranked 1 i his class has the pick of what school he will attend academically. Jim Crews had a lot to do with this young man signing with SLU. Numerous tourney appearances with Evansville and Army and the job he has done this year gets a chance with me to be the SLU coach for real.

Jim, we've warned you about this before. Please stop posting under aliases such as 'Corner3'.

So the kids are going to coach themselves to hopefully a second NCAA birth? If there is a second NCAA birth then maybe one of the current players can coach as well next year. I completely agre that JC isn't the long term answer but are you not shooting yourself in the foot by hanging an interem tag on anyone? Give him the job and actively look to replace him behind the scenes. Give him one year with option contracts. Let him get some of our assistants on the road to recruit. Get SLU intheir face and talk up the possible C7. It may at least lay the groundwork with a kid should a new coach come in.

Saints save us. What kind of a post is this? Big-time athletics programs do NOT 'give a guy a year.' Good teams do NOT sit around waiting a year while the good talent gets lapped up by other teams. That's a recipe for a big lineup hole and big-time failure for the following 2-3 years. I don't live that long, I don't want to watch 'building years' as the small-time losers call it, I've seen enough of that when Majerus got left holding the rotten tomatoes when we dumped Sodie. Call that mess what it was.

Jim Crews is either the guy or he is not. Personally I believe he is not.

If Crews is named coach he will be here for three years at a bare minimum, not one year, you don't look 'behind his back.'

You've been here for 6 years? I'm 22 and have been watching this team for over 20. This business(that's what it is) doesn't work like that.

Jim Crews has been put in the hardest situation an assistant coach could be put in. He's got my full support for this year, the man deserves serious props and love for it(and probably more money than he's getting paid.)

Jim Crews was a brilliant choice for an assistant, one thing that having Majerus brought in was an A-grade staff lineup with guys like Moser and Harriman and Crews and Whitesell. Would these guys make superb head coaches? I don't know, Whitesell and Crews have a track record(72 years of HC experience in a staff? impressive) that shows they are average HCs, we want more than average.

He's been on the staff for a year and we don't know how much he was involved in any current recruiting(well at least I don't.) The testament I see is how truly awesome Majerus was at finding and bringing in players that fit his superb basketball style. The team is prone to play to the level of our competition this year, we blow #9 Butler out by 17, and lose to 1-5 in conference RI by 2 in OT. I'm not sure if I'm the only one that has seen our team regularly play to the level of our competition, it may just be my bias but I think we had more focus under Majerus.

The bottom line is that I really respect Crews as a coach and for what he has done for us, and especially for being our Cincinnatus during this time, not often that your HC dies during the season. I miss the big man, but we must move on. In a few short years every guy Majerus has recruited will be gone, and everything new again. By that time we must have players again and be ready to win.

You haven't been following for that long, I guess, but you'll see just how quickly these players come and go and that the face of the team is constantly changing from year-to-year, it's one of the best and hardest parts of being a college hoops fan. Just remember that when you're in a 'rebuilding phase'.. well.. that's when the program is in real trouble.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Corner3" data-cid="339571" data-time="1359785617"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Bobby Metzinger" data-cid="339546" data-time="1359779627"><p>Let me put this into terms us Catholics would understand: Jim Crews is Benedict XVI.<br />

<br />

It's all the same, only the names will change. - Jon Bon Jovi</p></blockquote>

Seriously?????? Just remembered the reason I skip over every one of your posts.</p></blockquote>

Good one. First of all, welcome to the board. It's good to see you're in attack mode (moderators please be aware) and that you think after one post and "six years" of following this team that you have any sort of clout to talk to anyone. Here's a hint: you don't. I'm saying that from a coaching ideology, Crews has been put into a situation where he has to be a "disciple" of the system put into place by Rick Majerus. He couldn't waltz in here and install whatever offensive and defensive game plans he had at Evansville. So basically he had to continue the philosophies of his predecessor, much like the conservative teachings that the former Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger is now bringing to the Papacy, much like his predecessor, Karol Wojtyla.

Thank you for skipping over my posts. It's tiresome having to explain what I meant to an uneducated person.

Good win by the Billikens, and yes, Crews deserves credit for keeping his charges in check this season for the most part, but he was handed the keys to a well-oiled machine by the time Rick stepped down. His biggest challenge has been to maintain the status quo. Our biggest challenge as a program is to find somebody who can recruit. Bizzle put it best the other night; "it's all about recruiting" as of right now, Jim Crews cannot be our primary recruiter. Pray that Chaifetz has an ace (and not a former Evansville one) in the hole.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="David King" data-cid="339584" data-time="1359812493"><p>

I'm sure that during Coach Carlesimo's first press conference this spring, he will give props to interim Coach Crews for taking this team to the NCAA tournament.</p></blockquote>

I think I just choked reading that.

I find it very hard to understand the vitriol some on here have toward Coach Crews. The basic point is a good one: I really thought, for example, Crews out-coached Brad Stevens the other night, the young bball messiah everyone clamors over. The progress is stunning; and since I know some of the players, let me say this:

The trauma of losing the great coach Dec. 1 was tangible, emotionally devastating. there has been other tough times (Kwamain's foot injury, for example), but lingering grief and sudden coaching change earlier is really asking a lot. It takes some time to set the ship right. I'm so proud of where they've come, and a lot of the credit must go to Coach Crews.

As for extending him right now, some people are piling on and saying idiotic things about that. I'm sure that will not happen right now, but if we do make a run in the tournament/ etc., do well in A 10 championship, whatever -- then how can Chris May NOT take Crews seriously as a candidate, IF he wants to stay?? There's a little bit of Dan Devine stigma going on here--following the legend is hard. In this case: I'm starting to wonder if Crews might not be a helluva godsend for this team... AND, recall please, Majerus practically was begging him to come on board. Everyone praises Coach Majerus for his eye for talent; how about his eye for coaching talent??

First off, I don't want Crews back. I think he is a decent coach but we need to go in a different direction for the state of the program going forward.

But with that said, the mentality for most on this board is that if the team plays well it is all on the players but when things go bad it is the coaches fault. Nice.

Not removing the interim tag now does not equal firing him and leaving the players to coach themselves.

It appears you are suggesting that SLU make Crews the permanent head coach, but continue to search for a replacement. I don't see how that would benefit anyone. Crews and the staff can and do recruit in their current capacity. Recruits want to know if their coach is going to be there for their career, and 1 year contracts don't accomplish that. It would provide no stability for the program.