Any news on where Carter is transferring?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My take on KC is he's another Reuben Cotto. We're better off w/o him.

Disagree completely. Cotto had grade problems, a sketchy track record and apparently butted heads with players and coaches.

The worst thing you can say about Carter is he didn't get along with coaches who he never REALLY committed to play for.

Keith Carter may be immature and misguided in some ways but I would bet anyone on this board that he has a successful college career AND gets his degree, two things Cotto never came close to.

Furthermore, we could really use a player like him on the roster moving forward.

Just to be clear, I hope you are right. I don't wish him any bad fortune.

However, Keith Carter also committed to Loyola, decommitted, wanted to commit to a big time school but didn't receive any offers, and then (IMHO) reluctantly committed to SLU. It's not like the kid had a spotless recruitment.

Look, I know it seems like revisionist history, but I think there is more to the story than simply saying he didn't get along with Crews. However, again, I wish the kid nothing but the best. I hope he excels at one of those schools.

Just to be clear, I hope you are right. I don't wish him any bad fortune.

However, Keith Carter also committed to Loyola, decommitted, wanted to commit to a big time school but didn't receive any offers, and then (IMHO) reluctantly committed to SLU. It's not like the kid had a spotless recruitment.

Look, I know it seems like revisionist history, but I think there is more to the story than simply saying he didn't get along with Crews. However, again, I wish the kid nothing but the best. I hope he excels at one of those schools.

I should add that I was very disappointed in the news of Carter's transfer. I wish he had stayed. I was frustrated by reports that he didn't listen to coaches.

I just don't think he's entirely unreasonable in transferring and I definitely don't think he is Ruben Cotto.

Valpo currently at 89th in Ken Pom and 11 and 5. Cal State-Fullerton at #127 and 8 and 6. Auburn #159 and 6 and 7. Cleveland State at #228 and 9 and & (for reference, Savannah State is #220; Southern Illinois is #205).

And as far as "programs" go, the only one of any note here is Valpo and that's based on now being the biggest fish in the Horizon pond with Butler gone. I guess places like Fullerton, CA; Aubrun, AL; and Cleveland, Ohio can put to rest the "homesick" issues rumored on this thread. Valpo could be perceived as suburban Chicago. I have referred to Billikan as "Kan-do" on past occassions for his always positive-only-allowed posts and I don't do that anymore because everyone is entitled but as noted, this is a site by the fans, for the fans, etc. Rumor and shock-jock seem to rule the airwaves of any sort nowadays. Billikan protects his supposed inner souces, fine by me. I do as well. Unless you're willing to correct the "rumor" with the "truth" then I say lose the sanctimonious tone.

I think RM saw a lot in KC. In RM I trusted. If there are "handlers" behind the scenes, which there likely are as the kid was from Chicago and Benji Wilson/Eddie Cuury/Kevin Garnett/Quentin Richardson territory, then KC was never going to accept RM as the road winded down through the future because he (or his handlers) would always know better. You can't treat any one different than the rest, especially a freshman. Didn't we have issues with TLIII missing/late for practices because of cornrow coif appointments? Didn't Sodes allow this but RM said nay-nay? My recall may be off.

I know some kids around here are heading back to school this weekend (West Virginia, NC State, Maryland, etc.). I would think KC better have a plan in place to meet that date. Again .. anyone know if our APR takes a hit with this? A kid transferring has to have been on "regular" process towards a degree as I understand it. That would mean KC needs to have passed, successfully, 12 hours not to negatively affect the losing school. Are grades in play here or not. That's the only thing that concerns me about this kid right now -- otherwise, he's someone else's responsibility, star, problem, etc.

Maybe Billikan can answer this rumor.

Valpo currently at 89th in Ken Pom and 11 and 5. Cal State-Fullerton at #127 and 8 and 6. Auburn #159 and 6 and 7. Cleveland State at #228 and 9 and & (for reference, Savannah State is #220; Southern Illinois is #205).

And as far as "programs" go, the only one of any note here is Valpo and that's based on now being the biggest fish in the Horizon pond with Butler gone. I guess places like Fullerton, CA; Aubrun, AL; and Cleveland, Ohio can put to rest the "homesick" issues rumored on this thread. Valpo could be perceived as suburban Chicago. I have referred to Billikan as "Kan-do" on past occassions for his always positive-only-allowed posts and I don't do that anymore because everyone is entitled but as noted, this is a site by the fans, for the fans, etc. Rumor and shock-jock seem to rule the airwaves of any sort nowadays. Billikan protects his supposed inner souces, fine by me. I do as well. Unless you're willing to correct the "rumor" with the "truth" then I say lose the sanctimonious tone.

I think RM saw a lot in KC. In RM I trusted. If there are "handlers" behind the scenes, which there likely are as the kid was from Chicago and Benji Wilson/Eddie Cuury/Kevin Garnett/Quentin Richardson territory, then KC was never going to accept RM as the road winded down through the future because he (or his handlers) would always know better. You can't treat any one different than the rest, especially a freshman. Didn't we have issues with TLIII missing/late for practices because of cornrow coif appointments? Didn't Sodes allow this but RM said nay-nay? My recall may be off.

I know some kids around here are heading back to school this weekend (West Virginia, NC State, Maryland, etc.). I would think KC better have a plan in place to meet that date. Again .. anyone know if our APR takes a hit with this? A kid transferring has to have been on "regular" process towards a degree as I understand it. That would mean KC needs to have passed, successfully, 12 hours not to negatively affect the losing school. Are grades in play here or not. That's the only thing that concerns me about this kid right now -- otherwise, he's someone else's responsibility, star, problem, etc.

Maybe Billikan can answer this rumor.

you didnt go specifc negative enough to justify the "boo hiss you're no fan" response. and even if you did all you would have got was "boo hiss you're no fan because my secret big time inner source said so."

I am surprised at the level of schools looking at him. I honestly thought he was going to have some Big 10 looks...tampering rules make it so he wouldnt know which schools would come calling UNTIL he made the decision to leave, right? I would wager KC is dissapointed with the lack of interest.

On the "if RM was here" discussion, I completely disagree that he would have had the same attitude if RM was here. RM has a level of authority so when he tells you are doing something wrong, you are more apt to listen because you know that he coached Andre Miller and helped him succeed in "the league." Nothing againt the Jims, but if I know I am the #2 player coming out of Illinois...I might not be listening either to 2 people who are self-labeled "interim". Then again, I was the Latrell Sprewell of the U-12 Boys and Girls Club league...

I am surprised at the level of schools looking at him. I honestly thought he was going to have some Big 10 looks...tampering rules make it so he wouldnt know which schools would come calling UNTIL he made the decision to leave, right? I would wager KC is dissapointed with the lack of interest.

On the "if RM was here" discussion, I completely disagree that he would have had the same attitude if RM was here. RM has a level of authority so when he tells you are doing something wrong, you are more apt to listen because you know that he coached Andre Miller and helped him succeed in "the league." Nothing againt the Jims, but if I know I am the #2 player coming out of Illinois...I might not be listening either to 2 people who are self-labeled "interim". Then again, I was the Latrell Sprewell of the U-12 Boys and Girls Club league...

i would think leaving a program under somewhat of a dark cloud turns off a lot of programs. especially those that have things going good and at a high level. why bring in trouble. carter made his own mess. i couldnt care less about him at this point.

Yes and no. Sometimes RM ran his mouth (saying KC was the better than KM at that stage of development... and that KC is the best PG since Andre Miller (then again, we do wonder if RM was also meaning that KM and MM are not "true" point guards but more "combo" guards...) to make KC feel better and happier, to motivate KM and MM, to entice us fans, etc. Also, not every recruit of RM's was golden: Cotto, Thompson, J Smith, the Kansas kid with the concussion, etc. so assuming KC was the next Andre Miller may be flat out wrong and unfair.

Also, the BCS schools are looking for size and height. KC has neither. At the risk of offending all the successful vertically athletes and at the risk of receiving comments such as (what about Spud Webb, Mugsey Boggs, etc.), the fact is that KC is small. In fact, to me, he sure seemed an inch or two shorter (and not filled out) than both KM and MM and neither of them are that tall or big to begin with. On top of his size (or lack thereof), throw in a bad knee, his leaving on not the best terms, his prior change of mind as to Loyola Chicago, his handlers, and possibly character issues with him possibly not having the best attitude (Jim Crews is a known commodity and if Crews cannot coach him, that speaks volumes) or being a favorable guy in the locker room and yes, I can see why the top program are not beating down his door.

All of these are negatives. If a guy really has talent, though, everything mentioned above is thrown out the window and coaches/programs then become willing to take a chance on him. Maybe the talent level is just not worth it - at least not now.

Valpo is supposed to talk to him today then he's supposed to be visiting Cleveland St tomorrow according to Ben Weixelmann on twitter. Would think the decision would be made by the weekend.

I think it would be funny if Carter committed to Bryce Drew at Valpo and then Drew left Valpo after the season and became our coach.

(Not saying I want Drew as our coach)

Valpo is on our schedule next season. He could potentially be active for that game if it's scheduled after the end of the Fall Semester. When does the player officially become eligible? End of classes or end of exams? Vapo's 2013-14 calendar lists the exams for Dec 16-20. 75% of this season's non-conf schedule was over by 12/20 (with the Valpo game coming well before the cutoff), but there's at least a remote chance SLU could face him next year.

Valpo is on our schedule next season. He could potentially be active for that game if it's scheduled after the end of the Fall Semester. When does the player officially become eligible? End of classes or end of exams? Vapo's 2013-14 calendar lists the exams for Dec 16-20. 75% of this season's non-conf schedule was over by 12/20 (with the Valpo game coming well before the cutoff), but there's at least a remote chance SLU could face him next year.

After the conclusion of exams.

It is looking and more and more like he should have stayed.
Not necessarily.

Now he gets to pick which coach he plays for during the majority of his career as opposed to having no say in the matter.

Unless he becomes president of the college he attends, has power to make career decisions for his coach, and has the ability to prevent illness/accidents/death, there is no way to guarantee the coach at whatever school he picks will be there for any of his career. Perfect example of why these kids should be basing their decision to attend a school on more than just who is the coach.

It is looking and more and more like he should have stayed.
Not necessarily.

Now he gets to pick which coach he plays for during the majority of his career as opposed to having no say in the matter.

Unless he becomes president of the college he attends, has power to make career decisions for his coach, and has the ability to prevent illness/accidents/death, there is no way to guarantee the coach at whatever school he picks will be there for any of his career. Perfect example of why these kids should be basing their decision to attend a school on more than just who is the coach.

-RU, I agree with the theory on picking schools

-why if I am quoting only RU do all the other quotes appear?

Look at his last Tweet:

keith carter ‏@keithcarter0

If u change just make sure its 4 da better!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To me, that sounds like a kid regretting a decision. Oh well. Hope he thought this all through before leaving.

Look at his last Tweet:

To me, that sounds like a kid regretting a decision. Oh well. Hope he thought this all through before leaving.

Stupid question maybe, but can he come back here? Forgetting possible bridge burning, hurt feelings, teammates' attitudes etc., would it be possible legally per the NCAA? Has it ever been done?

Look at his last Tweet:

Stupid question maybe, but can he come back here? Forgetting possible bridge burning, hurt feelings, teammates' attitudes etc., would it be possible legally per the NCAA? Has it ever been done?

any coach with an ounce of backbone wouldnt take him back. he let his teamates down badly. he has missed out on all the sweat and blood of a lot of practices and games, no way you can repair that.

Look at his last Tweet:

any coach with an ounce of backbone wouldnt take him back. he let his teamates down badly. he has missed out on all the sweat and blood of a lot of practices and games, no way you can repair that.

Roy, I think that depends on how he tried to come back. If a kid came back to me with a genuine heart and sincere apology and told me that he was getting bad advice and that he understands he made a huge mistake and would do whatever the Coach asked in order to come back, then I think I was consider it. Then again, we still don't know how his departure went down, which may void everything if I was the Coach regardless how sincere he was.

If he was willing to come back, ride the bench, mop the floors, watch the jocks, and earn the team's respect back I would consider it. Again, that also depends on how he left.

Look at his last Tweet:

I'm not saying I disagree with you, but that doesn't answer my question. Does anyone know? As far as I can see, it's like he dropped out of school. And until he enrolls somewhere else, is there anything to say he can't come back and play here? Isn't that what happened to Kwamain technically? He was not a student here for a period of time but he came back.

Look at his last Tweet:

Willie Reed received his release then re-enrolled as a suspended scholarship player. Circumstances were different for sure, but if Willie could come back, I don't see why Keith Carter couldn't (unless rules have changed in the last 2 years).

It's not going to happen, but if...

1) He wanted to come back

2) He first apologized to Crews for his leaving and demonstrated a complete change in attitude and commitment

3) He apologized to his teammates

4) The team was willing to accept him

then Crews should allow him to return.

That being said, Carter probably believes he's past the point of no return and it's doubtful that he has the stones to put himself on the line like that knowing he might get the door slammed on his balls.