Any news on where Carter is transferring?

Look at his last Tweet:

keith carter ‏@keithcarter0

If u change just make sure its 4 da better!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To me, that sounds like a kid regretting a decision. Oh well. Hope he thought this all through before leaving.

Stupid question maybe, but can he come back here? Forgetting possible bridge burning, hurt feelings, teammates' attitudes etc., would it be possible legally per the NCAA? Has it ever been done?

any coach with an ounce of backbone wouldnt take him back. he let his teamates down badly. he has missed out on all the sweat and blood of a lot of practices and games, no way you can repair that.

Roy, I think that depends on how he tried to come back. If a kid came back to me with a genuine heart and sincere apology and told me that he was getting bad advice and that he understands he made a huge mistake and would do whatever the Coach asked in order to come back, then I think I was consider it. Then again, we still don't know how his departure went down, which may void everything if I was the Coach regardless how sincere he was.

If he was willing to come back, ride the bench, mop the floors, watch the jocks, and earn the team's respect back I would consider it. Again, that also depends on how he left.

something tells me that isnt in the cards. the way the kid left i would expect him wanting a returning hero's welcome with guarantees galore.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at his last Tweet:

keith carter ‏@keithcarter0

If u change just make sure its 4 da better!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To me, that sounds like a kid regretting a decision. Oh well. Hope he thought this all through before leaving.

Stupid question maybe, but can he come back here? Forgetting possible bridge burning, hurt feelings, teammates' attitudes etc., would it be possible legally per the NCAA? Has it ever been done?

Willie Reed received his release then re-enrolled as a suspended scholarship player. Circumstances were different for sure, but if Willie could come back, I don't see why Keith Carter couldn't (unless rules have changed in the last 2 years).

It's not going to happen, but if...

1) He wanted to come back

2) He first apologized to Crews for his leaving and demonstrated a complete change in attitude and commitment

3) He apologized to his teammates

4) The team was willing to accept him

then Crews should allow him to return.

That being said, Carter probably believes he's past the point of no return and it's doubtful that he has the stones to put himself on the line like that knowing he might get the door slammed on his balls.

exactly. duff you said it much better than me.

I think people should also keep in mind that Carter said a lot of the right things. He thanked the coaching staff, fans and players. Didn't handle it as poorly as people are making it out to be, in my opinion.

I think people should also keep in mind that Carter said a lot of the right things. He thanked the coaching staff, fans and players. Didn't handle it as poorly as people are making it out to be, in my opinion.

How many college transfers do you see that do not thank the coaching staff, fans, etc.? The kid is going to be asked about transferring and what is he going to do? He can thank everyone or blast everyone. If he wants a real shot at playing anywhere else decent, he is going to go the thanks route (unless he truly has no brains at all).

I find it interesting when people read so much into what athletes say or do in certain situations. It is common sense that if what you are saying is being recorded or will be reported on, you are going to take the high road. Sounding like a good guy in an interview means the athlete has a little bit brains. Sounding like a jerk (ex. Latrell Sprewell) means the guy has the intelligence of a rock.

Doesn't matter how he left to me. What matters is that he is gone. However, it is what this kid did in practice and when the cameras weren't rolling that matters, not some quotes in the newspaper.

From my perspective as an outsider, that was all windowdressing and PR....like when you quit your job without giving notice and then in subsequent interviews you have some 1-sided story about why it didn't work out to tell the hiring manager

Actions speak louder than words. He quit on his team mid-season.

I do not know anything special about him but he DID come to play for legendary coach Majerus and Harriman, too, and I cannot blame him for being miffed, isn't it true that he enrolled and was here before Majerus's failing health was announced? He is thinking about his career, not knowing who TF will coach next yr or what TF conference will be around.

So maybe the kid is not a model citizen, I really do not know, but I would say posters should not demonize him.

And those who say he should come to play basketball "for the school" as opposed to Majerus might be technically correct, but naive as hell about, yes, reality.

Unless he is a real ass-jerk-whatever, give him some leeway.

I do not know anything special about him but he DID come to play for legendary coach Majerus and Harriman, too, and I cannot blame him for being miffed, isn't it true that he enrolled and was here before Majerus's failing health was announced? He is thinking about his career, not knowing who TF will coach next yr or what TF conference will be around.

So maybe the kid is not a model citizen, I really do not know, but I would say posters should not demonize him.

And those who say he should come to play basketball "for the school" as opposed to Majerus might be technically correct, but naive as hell about, yes, reality.

agreed.

+1

Im not sure about the rules but I dont think players should be allowed to quit at the semester and then decide to come back.

IMO if they leave they should not be allowed to come back.

If they allowed this you could have kids (and it seems KC would fall into this category) go to a "mid major" to test the waters for a semester. At the end of the semester they could then drop out and re-open recrutting to see if any of the big boys would come after them. If BCS schools arent knocking down his door then they could just reenroll at their original school and go from there.

Im not sure about the rules but I dont think players should be allowed to quit at the semester and then decide to come back.

If they allowed this you could have kids (and it seems KC would fall into this category) go to a "mid major" to test the waters for a semester. At the end of the semester they could then drop out and re-open recrutting to see if any of the big boys would come after them. If BCS schools arent knocking down his door then they could just reenroll at their original school and go from there.

So Jimmy Chitwood, you wouldn't let him back. The whole goddam movie does not happen.

WTF these are kids and the coach and the asst coach are gone and for that matter the conference is "in play".

So Jimmy Chitwood, you wouldn't let him back. The whole goddam movie does not happen.

WTF these are kids and the coach and the asst coach are gone and for that matter the conference is "in play".

Right movie, wrong character

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/hoosiers/deleted-scene-second-chance

Right movie, wrong character

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/hoosiers/deleted-scene-second-chance

Well done.

Are some just speculating that he wants to come back? If he does and he left on good terms and said the right things then I would take him back. Coach Majerus was very high on the young man and he had an eye for talent. Not like we blew the door off in early recruiting period.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="MB73" data-cid="335720" data-time="1357954882"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="dlarry" data-cid="335716" data-time="1357952911"><p>Im not sure about the rules but I dont think players should be allowed to quit at the semester and then decide to come back.<br />

IMO if they leave they should not be allowed to come back.<br />

If they allowed this you could have kids (and it seems KC would fall into this category) go to a "mid major" to test the waters for a semester. At the end of the semester they could then drop out and re-open recrutting to see if any of the big boys would come after them. If BCS schools arent knocking down his door then they could just reenroll at their original school and go from there.</p></blockquote>

So Jimmy Chitwood, you wouldn't let him back. The whole goddam movie does not happen.<br />

WTF these are kids and the coach and the asst coach are gone and for that matter the conference is "in play".</p></blockquote>

Nice! One of my 5 alltime favorite movies.

But, Chitwood left the team because of the death of his mother or father. I forget who it was. Then that nosey beyatch of a next door neighbor decided it was best for him not to play.

The other two bozos left because they though they were above the coach. They never tried to transfer to frenchlick high. They were just stupid.

In that situation i would let them back.if they did tje right thing. However, if they would have tried to transfer to another school I would tell them to f-off. Id coach up ollie and have him take their minutes.

It is looking and more and more like he should have stayed.

Not necessarily.

Now he gets to pick which coach he plays for during the majority of his career as opposed to having no say in the matter.

NH. Believe Cheese is simply saying that he should have stayed through the end of this year. Here's my point:

1. To all those who think that Carter came only to play for RM (and Harriman - wow, that's good!!), then look at the chronology: August 24th, it is announced that RM is not coming back as the head coach, August 27th is the first day of classes, individual/small group basketball practices begin immediately, team practices begin in October, first game November 3rd, KC gets injured on November 14th, end of semester in December KC leaves the team. In short, KC had alot of time to leave before every playing a game here at SLU. Jim Crews was RM's assistant coach and no doubt Jim Crews was in contact (due to RM's absence - we knew RM was in California hospital for medical treatment and Carter had to know this much as well) with Crews all summer long so KC had to have a relationship with Crews before August 24th. KC then had a head coach-player relationship beginning August 24th and could have left the program before August 27th or at any time prior to the first game but didn't.

2. Remind me again what advantage Carter obtained by leaving when he did. In short, he lost this entire year by leaving SLU -- WHEN HE DID. No one is saying that KC made a bad decision by leaving but rather that he made a bad decision leaving when he did. Honor, commitment, finish what you start...If Carter wants to play college basetball, then why not suck it up, play for Crews this year only, learn from KM, MM and JJ, see who the new coach is (maybe our next coach will be Carter's most favorite coach ever) -- it does happen, as when Spoon left, Justin Love got to play for Romar. For Carter, if things don't get better, then leave this Spring. I would have less problems with Carter if left SLU before August 27th, before the first game (November 3rd) or after this season. Players do come to schools to play a particular coach - I get it.

In short, Carter gets what wants: time to rest his "major' leg injury, fun and learning with the guys at the Valpo rec center (instead of playing D1with KM, JJ and MM, etc. here at SLU -- and possibly experiencing KC's only chance of playing in the Tourney) and possibly an extra semester at Valpo instead of SLU. No wonder Carter is having second thoughts. As they say, "be careful what you ask for... you just might get it!!"

We sometimes forget how young these guys are. SLU is a Catholic University and even in sports I think we are called to be forgiving of transgressions as long as a player truly recognizes the wrong doing, apologizes for his actions and recommits to the team. Besides, haven’t we all needed forgiveness for doing something stupid, especially at that stage of our lives?

If he wants to come back, it is obviously up to the coaches, but I for one would like to see it happen. Even from a sports perspective, we are in a scholarship position to take a chance. He might be grateful for the opportunity, mature as a young man, and develop into a nice player.

or the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence. Why are we wasting 6 pages of posts on this kid? Why am I posting on it is a better question. He's gone. If he's having regrets about his decision, which in so many of these cases are probably caused by members of his entourage, he could find redemption by simply making a call to JC and saying he thinks he made a mistake. He'd like a second chance. How many of us have taken a job only to reconsider a day or two later and been welcomed back by our employer?

Can't believe this, but I am in complete agreement with you. Frankly, it kind of rubs me the wrong way that a bunch of grown ass men are passing wholesale judgment on the actions of a teenager.

Can't believe this, but I am in complete agreement with you. Frankly, it kind of rubs me the wrong way that a bunch of grown ass men are passing wholesale judgment on the actions of a teenager.

Yep, it's a bit embarrassing. This board has always held some kind of pretentious grudge against any player who commits here and transfers, or any player we recruit and chooses another school.

Yep, it's a bit embarrassing. This board has always held some kind of pretentious grudge against any player who commits here and transfers, or any player we recruit and chooses another school.

... Catholics are good at judging.... because we're awesome and clearly would have taken the higher road. :)

It's not passing judgement, it's called analyzing the situation from all sides.

His leaving in and of itself, doesn't make him a bad kid. Things didn't initially turn out the way he'd expected here and he choose to move on. The general sentiment on this board was "That sucks, but it's understandable"

This being 2013 and given that we have a window into his psyche via Twitter, there is speculation that his decision was made in haste and he might have regrets.

That speculation leads to more speculation about whether or not he could come back if he wanted to, and what circumstances would have to be met, and whether or not that's realistic.

Put another way...on a personal level, Carter's actions are perfectly understandable and defensible in that he's just an 18-year-old kid trying to navigate his way through life. On a professional level however, the timing and circumstances of his departure were dubious, and must be taken into consideration when discussing his potential opportunity to re-join SLU.

Wow. And Moytoyboy agreed, too. I must be slipping.