Mike Crawford

SLU_Nick

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On one hand I was worried we wouldn't get any recruits in the Fall, so from that angle it's good. Converesly, this guy's other offers were SIUE and New Orleans so he definitely seems like a project/latebloomer whatever you want to call him.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

On the one hand, we thought we had arrived and should start getting some recruits by going head to head with better programs. On the other hand, we essentially starting over recruiting-wise with a new head coach, who might not be our head coach next year. Not the kind of security many recruits like to hear. Opposing coaches can heap a large amount of dung on our situation.

Just win, baby!

mhg

What NH said. On the other hand, what booster said.

When I first saw this and his other offers, I had this quick flashback to Crews recruiting for Evansville those many years ago. But it passed. Got to believe that Rick had some play int his before he went down. Also, I don't think you can really comment on the individual parts until you see the whole. We are recruiting to replace Mitchell, Ellis, and Remekun. If Crawford were it, then we'd have to conclude we're no tthere. But I'm going slow to see what the total package ends up being.

This will essenbtially put three guys on the roster at the small forward position in Evans, Drew and Crawford. I think we're okay there. With the stable of guards we have in Jett, McCall, Carter, Barnett and McBroom, ditto there. If Glaze and Manning are good enough or show potential this year to get there, then the inside might be fine too. I'd like to see more bulk wiht the remianing two scholarships but I also recall some p[retty good teams at Illinois, Louisville, and UNLV that ran with equal height across the whole startin glineup and did pretty well with it. Of course, noneof that stable of guards (sans Barnett) are clearing the 6'0" line by much.

We need more roughnecks.

On one hand I was worried we wouldn't get any recruits in the Fall, so from that angle it's good. Converesly, this guy's other offers were SIUE and New Orleans so he definitely seems like a project/latebloomer whatever you want to call him.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Great to NH's internet connection worked for the 5 minutes needed to provide us with his expert scouting report. I forget, are we supposed to recruit and land players before the BCS offer or are we supposed to watch, evaluate and offer early? If SLU waits, then our HC is accused of not being able to judge talent. If we offer early, then our recruits are labeled inferior based upon offers/lack of offers from the competition. Hard to win.

Based upon my watching of the video, the kid looks like he can play ball and has good size/moves. He can definitely score from both the inside and the outside. What I cannot tell, though, is if this kid plays more of his natural game using interior or post moves. 6'5" can be the tallest/one of the tallest on a high school team and that may simply be where his team/coach needs him most. If he has played alot/mostly with his back to the basket, then the BCS schools are most likely offering similar skill kids who are 6'8" and will come back to these shorter/smaller type kids later.

Instead of being a sourpuss, I'm pleasantly surprised with this announcement. Mike, welcome to the Bills!!

What NH said. On the other hand, what booster said.

When I first saw this and his other offers, I had this quick flashback to Crews recruiting for Evansville those many years ago. But it passed. Got to believe that Rick had some play int his before he went down. Also, I don't think you can really comment on the individual parts until you see the whole. We are recruiting to replace Mitchell, Ellis, and Remekun. If Crawford were it, then we'd have to conclude we're no tthere. But I'm going slow to see what the total package ends up being.

This will essenbtially put three guys on the roster at the small forward position in Evans, Drew and Crawford. I think we're okay there. With the stable of guards we have in Jett, McCall, Carter, Barnett and McBroom, ditto there. If Glaze and Manning are good enough or show potential this year to get there, then the inside might be fine too. I'd like to see more bulk wiht the remianing two scholarships but I also recall some p[retty good teams at Illinois, Louisville, and UNLV that ran with equal height across the whole startin glineup and did pretty well with it. Of course, noneof that stable of guards (sans Barnett) are clearing the 6'0" line by much.

We need more roughnecks.

Taj.

Yes, we need interior/bigs as well as guards/wings; however, sometimes you just need to recruit the best player available. Next year, we will still have RL, JM and GG along with DE and Drew who can help out if needed.

If you are going by position and if you assume that you MUST replace our 3 Seniors this year (as opposed to this year and next year), then Mitchell has already been replaced by McBroom and Carter. As to Remeken, he really doesn't play outside of practice so getting a 6'5" wing sounds great -- especially since Barnett has not been able to earn many minutes to date. In short, this really means that we only need to replace CE (and we still have 2 schollies left).

As we have seen in recent years, what offers a kid get doesn't always determine what kind of player he is going to be. I don't recall Evans or even McCall having a long list of good offers. Now under the previous regime, a lack of good offers usually meant the kid wouldn't pan out. It is kind of funny that a lot of people thought we wouldn't get anybody to sign before we had a permanent coach. I have no idea if the kid can play, but the good news is that the kid is signing with SLU - not the coach. He saw that the school, program, conference, facilities were attractive enough that he was willing to sign even with the coaching uncertainty. I like that.

We need to target bigs with our last two scholarships. Who knows, maybe there is another good target willing to sign in the fall. If not, I'm fine with waitting til the spring, considering we still figure to have a strong returning roster next year.

-seems to me this kid is a rare breed from this perspective in that it appears he is 'buying' SLU over 'buying' a bball program which has a noble ring to it

-i don't want to think the kid is making a decision based on promises about the bball program told to him by coaches that don't have contracts for even next season much less beyond

-hope he becomes a Billiken HOF'er

To anyone salivating over the video: It was a highlight video, do you think they were going to show him bricking shots or getting blown by on defense, etc. ?!?

I hope the kid is great but I have my doubts. Still, I have no problem signing one kid this fall even if he is a reach based on his other offers/interest.

I do hope the other two schollys are saved for the the spring. Despite a smaller pool to recruit from, I think we have a better chance of landing impact players once our coaching situation is clarified than we do now.