Mike Crawford

SLU_Nick

-seems to me this kid is a rare breed from this perspective in that it appears he is 'buying' SLU over 'buying' a bball program which has a noble ring to it -i don't want to think the kid is making a decision based on promises about the bball program told to him by coaches that don't have contracts for even next season much less beyond -hope he becomes a Billiken HOF'er

cowboy is right on the mark. this kid is apparently picking Saint Louis University the educational institution where he will be playing basketball.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great to NH's internet connection worked for the 5 minutes needed to provide us with his expert scouting report. I forget, are we supposed to recruit and land players before the BCS offer or are we supposed to watch, evaluate and offer early? If SLU waits, then our HC is accused of not being able to judge talent. If we offer early, then our recruits are labeled inferior based upon offers/lack of offers from the competition. Hard to win.

Based upon my watching of the video, the kid looks like he can play ball and has good size/moves. He can definitely score from both the inside and the outside. What I cannot tell, though, is if this kid plays more of his natural game using interior or post moves. 6'5" can be the tallest/one of the tallest on a high school team and that may simply be where his team/coach needs him most. If he has played alot/mostly with his back to the basket, then the BCS schools are most likely offering similar skill kids who are 6'8" and will come back to these shorter/smaller type kids later.

Instead of being a sourpuss, I'm pleasantly surprised with this announcement. Mike, welcome to the Bills!!

Haha you're unreal Clock. I am glad you are excited. Let's hope that pays off. I simply prefer a wait-and-see approach.

I'm always happy to get some home grown Hoosiers; and not just citified types like our newbie from Cathedral HS; but cornpushers from places like Tipton. We used to play up there, by the way, and I know Tipton well; they used to be this little powerhouse out in the middle of nowhere... featuring a bunch of Jimmy Chitwood wannabes with crew cuts.

One listing of Indiana 2013 prospects has Crawford #23 in state: I trust in the regime's ability to find talent, and I like the sound of his athleticism:

23. Mike Crawford: 6’5” Small Forward, Tipton H.S.

Offers: Stetson, Gardner-Webb, Lamar, New Orleans, Yale, Southern Illinois-Edwardsville, St. Louis

Interest: Notre Dame, Wake Forest, Wright State, Loyola, Wichita State, Winthrop, Miami (OH)

Very athletic. Mike has a nice balance of interior and perimeter skills. He can finish inside because of his strength and jumping ability, but is also a very good outside shooter. Handles the ball well too. His versatility is his biggest asset, could really play the 1-4 spots. Can be a little out of control when he attacks the basket at times, but does a good job of getting to the foul line.

To anyone salivating over the video: It was a highlight video, do you think they were going to show him bricking shots or getting blown by on defense, etc. ?!?

I hope the kid is great but I have my doubts. Still, I have no problem signing one kid this fall even if he is a reach based on his other offers/interest.

I do hope the other two schollys are saved for the the spring. Despite a smaller pool to recruit from, I think we have a better chance of landing impact players once our coaching situation is clarified than we do now.

Well, if we hire a new permanent Coach and there is better talent out there, we can always recruit over this kid :D

One promising sign, while he received only mid major offers, some bigs expressed interest. I read this as positive because they were probably interested in seeing how he did his SR season. If he does do well, he may have been a spring signing at a biggie who usually need a player to fill a roster opening. Also, Kshoe's right it's not like that video was one continuous stretch of a game, they were highlights and those don't usually highlite airballs and the player getting stripped off the dribble. Not going to label him a UB type recruit, as it would seem RM was in on him at sometime. Remember in one of his last interviews he said something like we find kids and then suddenly the bigs take notice. Hopefully, young Mr. Crawford is one of those kids.

One promising sign, while he received only mid major offers, some bigs expressed interest. I read this as positive because they were probably interested in seeing how he did his SR season. If he does do well, he may have been a spring signing at a biggie who usually need a player to fill a roster opening. Also, Kshoe's right it's not like that video was one continuous stretch of a game, they were highlights and those don't usually highlite airballs and the player getting stripped off the dribble. Not going to label him a UB type recruit, as it would seem RM was in on him at sometime. Remember in one of his last interviews he said something like we find kids and then suddenly the bigs take notice. Hopefully, young Mr. Crawford is one of those kids.

i would doubt that rickma gets credit for this recruit. i would guess this one is all on our "current" staff as rickma has been off the recruiting trail for months.

i would doubt that rickma gets credit for this recruit. i would guess this one is all on our "current" staff as rickma has been off the recruiting trail for months.

I asked Ben W. about that last night. He said Maj wasn't recruiting him - he's a Crews recruit.

I worry about 6'5" white kids that do most of their damage inside in HS and that is mostly what the highlight video shows. I don't want 6'5" 4's. Dustin McGuire ring any bells? For me the worry is ... does he have quick enough feet to guard the perimiter. If the answer is no, I don't want him as I only want him as a 2-3 perimiter player. It's hard to tell from the video or to even judge his form or if he has a quick enough release to get his shot off consistently. I just know ... No more 6'5" bigs. If the staff feels he can play on the perimiter I like it, it's that simple

Looks like a good pickup. Not sure of the need he is filling on this team, but I'm good with it. He seems to be comfortable coming off a pick for shot. He seems to be able to handle the ball just fine. He is finishing in traffic, HE CAN DUNK! And he seems to have a pretty nice stroke (but no 3 point highlights). I'm thinking more Kyle Cassity than Dustin McGuire. Let's just hope this kid has more confidence than Kyle did.

i dont think cassity ever lacked confidence. confidence and leadership is what kept him in the mix as long as it did. he was just unselfish to a fault.

It looked like confidence from my seat. Timid going to the hole, won't take the shot, pulled back 95% of the time on the break. I liked Cassity and didn't call for his benching like most others, but I wouldn't call it unselfishness. I think he was scared to do what needed to be done. I don't think Mike is that much better of a player last year. But Mike was capable of getting the job done when Kyle was not, despite being taller and having a better understanding of the system.

cowboy is right on the mark. this kid is apparently picking Saint Louis University the educational institution where he will be playing basketball.

I just hope that if we get a new coach other than Crews that he does not decide to cut this kid loose since he was not his pick - we have see that before lots of places. If that happens I know Roy will be very upset.

i dont think cassity ever lacked confidence. confidence and leadership is what kept him in the mix as long as it did. he was just unselfish to a fault.

I think it would be hard to make the argument that Kyle Cassity had confidence in his shot. He may have been confident in other aspects of the game. He was so reluctant to shoot the ball and when he finally would he would often miss terribly and this is from a kid who probably hits 8 out of 10 shots shooting in the gym after practice. I think his shooting percentages for his career are fall too low (39% from the field and 32% from 3) in comparison to his shooting ability to make the case that confidence was not an issue for him.

We're already comparing this kid to Kyle? Christ almighty let it go.

He's white and about the same size. The only other comparisons people on here know how to make are Drew Diener, Luke Meyer and Dustin McGuire.

Just wait till Taj starts talking about some of our white guys from the 70s and 80s that weren't any good...

We're already comparing this kid to Kyle? Christ almighty let it go.

Fun with comparisons when we have never gone and seen the kid play.

05, are you stil at SLU and in the Blue Crew or whatever the new name is? If so, I was wondering if there is a substanital increase in interest after last seasons success?

Fun with comparisons when we have never gone and seen the kid play.

05, are you stil at SLU and in the Blue Crew or whatever the new name is? If so, I was wondering if there is a substanital increase in interest after last seasons success?

I am in my last semester and probably won't have much to do with the student section. I know there is quite a bit of buzz about the team on campus. People are excited, even with Kwamain's injury and Rick's absence.

He's white and about the same size. The only other comparisons people on here know how to make are Drew Diener, Luke Meyer and Dustin McGuire.

Just wait till Taj starts talking about some of our white guys from the 70s and 80s that weren't any good...

Maybe he'll turn out to be a Scott Highmark. Luke's acceptable, DD and DM type is not going to cut it.

I would love to watch Kyle Cassity's highlight video from high school.