Mike Crawford

SLU_Nick

since i havent seen him play (highlight films dont count. my gosh i could make a highlight film of taj after his recent surgery and most of you would be thrilled he is a billiken), i wont judge crawford. i will tell you all that one of my all time favorite billikens, justin love was an undersized high school inside player because he went to a smaller school and all. he turned out pretty darn good. still dream about him and hughes playing together. oh what could have been. the worst wrong turn (for the fans, not hughes) in billiken history. hughes would have given us two more years, i think the program would have blown up huge (patrick ewing effect).

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I worry about 6'5" white kids that do most of their damage inside in HS and that is mostly what the highlight video shows. I don't want 6'5" 4's. Dustin McGuire ring any bells? For me the worry is ... does he have quick enough feet to guard the perimiter. If the answer is no, I don't want him as I only want him as a 2-3 perimiter player. It's hard to tell from the video or to even judge his form or if he has a quick enough release to get his shot off consistently. I just know ... No more 6'5" bigs. If the staff feels he can play on the perimiter I like it, it's that simple

I was thinking of Dustin McGuire as well while watching the video but he is able to put the ball on the floor in traffic, which McGuire couldn't (at least when he arrived at SLU). Not a Kyle Cassity because he attacks and shoots when he gets the ball in his hands (at least judging by a highlight clip). We can always use more shooters but we really need a big for the next class. Not holding my breath on that.

'Tis truth that broy=the=bruce speaks ..... my surgical films would make quite the double feature. I've left more body parts on surgical tables than I now possess. And alas poor yorick, I cannot dunk. So don't come see this kid play.

From the stltoday Forums

10/24 Update from Kyle: Tipton guard Mike Crawford (2013) has committed to Saint Louis University.

Plus an interesting tidbit from Kyle in July:

Wherever Mike Crawford chooses to play college basketball, he will be the favorite in the team's annual golf outing.

Crawford, a 6-5 small forward from Tipton High School, owns seven career holes-in-one and a zero handicap. He also has an advantage over the ordinary weekend hacker in that he grew up at Tri-Ponds Golf Course, owned by his parents, Mike Sr. and Laurie.

After college, Crawford may pursue a career in golf.

Read more: http://interact.stltoday.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=917017#ixzz2APwwxkkP

From the stltoday Forums

10/24 Update from Kyle: Tipton guard Mike Crawford (2013) has committed to Saint Louis University.

Wherever Mike Crawford chooses to play college basketball, he will be the favorite in the team's annual golf outing.

Crawford, a 6-5 small forward from Tipton High School, owns seven career holes-in-one and a zero handicap. He also has an advantage over the ordinary weekend hacker in that he grew up at Tri-Ponds Golf Course, owned by his parents, Mike Sr. and Laurie.

Read more: http://interact.stlt...7#ixzz2APwwxkkP

-that is almost kim juong il worthy!!!

From the stltoday Forums

Read more: http://interact.stlt...7#ixzz2APwwxkkP

Surprised he didn't take a golf scholie somwhere if he's that good.

oh boy here comes the "let's give him a golf scholarship and save that basketball scholarship" posts.

We dropped golf, right? He must be pretty confident in his hoops game, because if he's that good in golf he probably could have got a free ride at a lot of big 10 schools.

oh boy here comes the "let's give him a golf scholarship and save that basketball scholarship" posts.

No roy - he is white and plays golf. He qualifies for an academic scholarship! Take him off that basketball ride and save it for one of those ill-educated inner city athletic kids. The scrappy, high basketball iq, dead eye shooter types can go on academic scholarships. Here's to a 18 man roster!

I have coached Mike and can tell you that the Billikens are getting a special player. As someone else showed he is a great golfer and goes to State every year which has cut into his AAU. He's kind of been under the radar because of this. A little about his game, he has played literally all 5 positions for his HS team out of need but will play the 1-3 this year. He is very polished offensively and has no trouble getting his shot off. His mid range is his best thing right now in my opinion but he can get hot from outside. Had an 8 three pointer game over the summer. He is currently the winningest player in Indiana right now with 67 wins in three years. He's lead his team to back to back Semi-States. Last year as a Junior he had 40 points and single handedly kept his team in the game against Bowman Academy a school with 5 D1 players. He should break the all-time scoring record at Tipton pretty early in the season. Tipton has produced some very good players. Derek Elston who currently plays for Indiana, Ethan Jacobs who currently plays at Colgate, Matt Waddell who was all-big ten at Purdue in the 90's and Kreigh Smith who played for IU's 1987 National Championship team. People think Mike is the best of the bunch. Some big schools were starting to get in on Mike but Mike fell in love with St. Louis and wanted to choose before the season so he can concentrate on winning a State Title. He's also #1 in his class academically and made the Junior All Star team. I think you guys are really going to like watching Mike play.

I have coached Mike and can tell you that the Billikens are getting a special player. As someone else showed he is a great golfer and goes to State every year which has cut into his AAU. He's kind of been under the radar because of this. A little about his game, he has played literally all 5 positions for his HS team out of need but will play the 1-3 this year. He is very polished offensively and has no trouble getting his shot off. His mid range is his best thing right now in my opinion but he can get hot from outside. Had an 8 three pointer game over the summer. He is currently the winningest player in Indiana right now with 67 wins in three years. He's lead his team to back to back Semi-States. Last year as a Junior he had 40 points and single handedly kept his team in the game against Bowman Academy a school with 5 D1 players. He should break the all-time scoring record at Tipton pretty early in the season. Tipton has produced some very good players. Derek Elston who currently plays for Indiana, Ethan Jacobs who currently plays at Colgate, Matt Waddell who was all-big ten at Purdue in the 90's and Kreigh Smith who played for IU's 1987 National Championship team. People think Mike is the best of the bunch. Some big schools were starting to get in on Mike but Mike fell in love with St. Louis and wanted to choose before the season so he can concentrate on winning a State Title. He's also #1 in his class academically and made the Junior All Star team. I think you guys are really going to like watching Mike play.

HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE

HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE

For Devils15 (in case you didn't know or were confused), this means that Jimbo LOVES your post.

For Devils15 (in case you didn't know or were confused), this means that Jimbo LOVES your post.

Yes I was a little confused thanks for clearing that up.

For the record, Tipton is 225 miles or so from Evansville, so this would be outside Crews' "80 miles radius" as someone suggested.

Yes it's a good 4 hours north of Evansville.

Thank you for your post and update!! We look foward to watching Mike the next 4 years. Keep in mind that our fanbase (as expressed on this Board) is going through yet another difficult and uncertain time. In what should be the long-awaited and overdue year of success on the Court, we have had to endure the loss of our program's mastermind (Rick Majerus). Then, good or bad, we find ourselves with an interim head coach for the year (Jim Crews) -- a guy with alot of experience but also a guy closer to the end of coaching career than at his beginning -- who was supposed to be here only one (1) year after taking an assistant coaching job with us after 6 years with the Army. Next, our best player/pointguard/5th year Senior is now gone until January 1st with a broken bone in his foot held together with a screw!!

Oh well... As to Mike, keep coaching him well and best of luck to both of your this/his Senior year !!

Thanks much for this post. Billiken fans will welcome him with open arms and it sounds like he could become a fan favorite. He is coming into a great situation in terms of the quality of the team coming back next year so he will get the chance to play on a very good team yet if he can prove he can score and defend at this level I have no doubt he will get some quality time over the next couple of years and will fight for a starting job eventually. The fans on this board who often know absolutely nothing about a player like Mike often go overboard in the commentary, good or bad, so please ignore those comments.