Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Ibruce said:

I saw Torrence Watson today, he had 40 plus points.  He looks more and more like Bradley Beal going coast to coast and finishing. The jumper is better and better. I hope we find a way to get him on the roster.

It will be interesting to see who is on his finalist list next month.

4 hours ago, kshoe said:

According to Earl Austin:

2018 prospects Mario McKinney and Joseph Reece of Vashon were in attendance at the Saint Louis U-St. Joseph's game

Earl also tweeted that both Goodwin and Thatch were at the St. Joe game, in fact he posted a picture of them standing on the court.

8 hours ago, Franchise_08 said:

Goodwin and Thatch. Sat next to each other in the second half.

IMG_0725.JPG

great picture, lets file this away and in four years post a side by side updated picture of them after a sweet 16 win.  

I am assuming Goodwin is the kid on the Right withe the SLU hoodie. Is this correct? I am happy to see that neither of them is wearing any kind of visible arm braces or restraints. As we know Goodwin had recent shoulder surgery. It is nice to see him showing no evidence of this procedure.

26 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

great picture, lets file this away and in four years post a side by side updated picture of them after a sweet 16 win.  

Has Goodwin lost a little weight?  Maybe it's just standing by Thatch that gives me that impression.  As OG said, there is no observable brace on his shoulder, which is a good sign.  But it could be under his shirt.

OG, Goodwin is on the left, Thatch in the hoodie. They look to be almost the same height.  Past resources I've seen list Goodwin at 6'4" and 220 pounds, with Thatch at 6'3", 195 lb.

8 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I am assuming Goodwin is the kid on the Right withe the SLU hoodie. Is this correct? I am happy to see that neither of them is wearing any kind of visible arm braces or restraints. As we know Goodwin had recent shoulder surgery. It is nice to see him showing no evidence of this procedure.

Goodwin is on the left. Thatch on the right.

As far as I know he was supposed to have his surgery right after he stopped playing for his HS team. So, by now he is probably a few weeks post op and looking good with no external support to the shoulder. That is assuming he did the surgery as expected.

Thank you for the identification of the players in the photo crymdg2.

17 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Joseph Reece is 2018. 6'8 190lb jumpshooter with a good handle for his size. Good defender. Clearly needs to get stronger. He and 2019 Mario McKinney will be the go to guys next year for Vashon. If Reece continues to shoot it like he has the last month, he's going to draw some high major interest this summer.

I'm pretty sure we get Joe. I can feel it

1 hour ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Just read Pistol's synopsis. Kind of sounds like a reach right now, with his only other offer being from Duquesne. However, I would probably be bitching if SLU waited and then the kid blew up.

Not sure what this says about Watson's recruitment, if anything. 

I wouldn't worry too much on either of these points.

Watson is still a major target for the staff. As was said recently, it's going to be interesting to see who's left when he trims his list soon, but I would expect SLU to be on it.

This staff has shown that they will keep recruiting hard for every class. Never stop recruiting. Nothing is guaranteed.

As for Reece, I'd rather be in early on a local kid (like we did with Karrington Davis, to name another example) than wait until BCS conference schools start offering. He's not a finished product right now by any means but the potential is there.

This is a nice change in the recruiting dynamics for SLU. It used to be that a class of local recruits would come through, and we'd be hoping that we'd be able to get 1 or maybe 2 of them. If we did land any of the local players, it would be more of a backup option, rather than the bigger name. Now, we're in a position to actually have fewer scholarships than legit targets.

11 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

This is a nice change in the recruiting dynamics for SLU. It used to be that a class of local recruits would come through, and we'd be hoping that we'd be able to get 1 or maybe 2 of them. If we did land any of the local players, it would be more of a backup option, rather than the bigger name. Now, we're in a position to actually have fewer scholarships than legit targets.

With the 2018 class, I'm also wondering if there isn't a sense of urgency like, "Whoa, now that Gordon committed and I know Davis and Watson and some others are in play, I better make up my mind here" and "Whoa, now that Thatch and Gordon are committed, are there gonna be enough spots for me?"

I don't think there's *quite* a mad rush to commit quite yet, but I definitely think these guys know that SLU isn't going to wait around for them anymore.

It's a lot of fun to recruit like a big-time program, isn't it?

To add a little more to your point, too, the three local kids we've offered in 2018 who haven't yet committed are Davis, Watson, and Reece. Even if all three wanted to play at SLU - and assuming some more transfers - I'm not sure we'd have enough scholarships by then, and that's not even getting into positional logjams, or the fact that we're involved with a number of non-local players, as well.

This is a much better problem to have than wondering if the semi-unknown back-up plans we're signing are going to pan out.

I hope we're able to look back at the Goodwin and Gordon commitments years from now as the ones that changed it all.

28 minutes ago, Pistol said:

As for Reece, I'd rather be in early on a local kid (like we did with Karrington Davis, to name another example) than wait until BCS conference schools start offering. He's not a finished product right now by any means but the potential is there.

This! This has long been one of my biggest gripes with past coaching staffs. Honestly from a roster building and recruiting stand point this current staff is giving many of us exactly what we have long hoped for (I can't think of one complaint in this aspect), well done Ford and staff. I don't know anything about this kid, but happy to see us in early on these local kids.

25 minutes ago, Pistol said:

To add a little more to your point, too, the three local kids we've offered in 2018 who haven't yet committed are Davis, Watson, and Reece. Even if all three wanted to play at SLU - and assuming some more transfers - I'm not sure we'd have enough scholarships by then, and that's not even getting into positional logjams, or the fact that we're involved with a number of non-local players, as well.

This is a much better problem to have than wondering if the semi-unknown back-up plans we're signing are going to pan out.

I hope we're able to look back at the Goodwin and Gordon commitments years from now as the ones that changed it all.

I think they will.  And I would throw Thatch in there.  While not from Saint Louis his being from Missouri makes him local enough.

Loved Gordon's quote after the packed Vason game.

“It was good. I grew up here playing in front of everybody,” Gordon said. “I plan for it to be like this in a few years when I go to SLU.”