Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

1 hour ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

I think I saw Reece at the game the other day. Tall lanky kid? When I saw him my thoughts were that he looked like Darrell Davis at Dayton, only maybe taller. If that 6'8" figure is accurate, he's 3 inches taller than Davis, so that comp may be out the window.

-was he wearing a red warm-up suit? 

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, bauman said:

No offense to Thatch, I'm very happy to have him, but when we accepted his commitment, it indicated to me that Ford did not think he was going to get Watson or at least didn't feel confident about Watson signing with SLU.

I know for a fact that this is a false statement. From the beginning, coach Ford was a big fan of Thatch and he wanted him to commit because he thinks he will be an excellent player in his system and will fit well with our team when he arrives. When Thatch committed Watson was still on our list but he was not as far along in his thinking or decision making as Thatch. We did not know how or when Watson would decide but we still had confidence that he would seriously consider the Billikens.

4 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Agree, and you can add Bradley Beal to that group.  On the other hand, I have trouble coming up with a top level team where the majority of their power is local. Anyone recall a recent team where they ran out 4 or 5 local products and had a high level of success?

Going back aways but Memphis used to win year after year with locals.

27 minutes ago, Billikenswin said:

I know for a fact that this is a false statement. From the beginning, coach Ford was a big fan of Thatch and he wanted him to commit because he thinks he will be an excellent player in his system and will fit well with our team when he arrives. When Thatch committed Watson was still on our list but he was not as far along in his thinking or decision making as Thatch. We did not know how or when Watson would decide but we still had confidence that he would seriously consider the Billikens.

Do you know if the bold above is still accurate?

10 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

I'm looking more at who could be harder to guard three years from now.  The last guy we had who was 6'8 or taller that could handle the ball like Reece was Izik Ohanon but Ohanon was a supbar shooter.  Reece is a good outside shooter. A 6'8 shooter who can get his own shot can cause serious matchup problems in the A-10.  Look how well Jalen Johnson is doing, who is an inch and half shorter.  I'm looking forward to how Reece performs in the playoffs.

Looks like Reece came out pretty aggressive today. Not sure how many points he wound up with, but Vashon won by more than 50.

1 hour ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Not that rankings mean anything, but here are the latest (top 250) rankings from Prep Hoops for the Class of 2018 that came out last night. Some notables that SLU fans would be interested in...

Gordon #15
Watson #78
Davis #103
Thatch #179
Tabbs #202
Reece NR

Actually this looks great for SLU. I thought Thatch was putting up more stats that Davis but I guess after AAU this will fluctuate. A Watson get would be huge

3 hours ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Not that rankings mean anything, but here are the latest (top 250) rankings from Prep Hoops for the Class of 2018 that came out last night. Some notables that SLU fans would be interested in...

Gordon #15
Watson #78
Davis #103
Thatch #179
Tabbs #202
Reece NR

is there a full list? It looks like there is a lock on the list

Ayo dosunmo #13

Courtney Ramey #21

Keldon Johnson #23

Isiah Mucius #56

Arashama Parks #168

jericole Hellems #186

Johal Montay #182

Jordan Lathon #187

Johal and Jordan aren't recruits listed but are MO guys for those curious. I listed Courtney since I think that he is pretty highly ranked, Webster Groves is stacked.

Theoretically if we get Ayo Dosunmo, Watson, Isiah Mucius,  or K Davis, we could get the next FAB 5, and no doubt we have a top 10 recruiting class next year

7 hours ago, Box and Won said:

I would've preferred Shittu + Justyn Mutts.

Are they werewolf enough?  I heard they drive Miatas

10 hours ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Ayo dosunmo #13

Courtney Ramey #21

I listed Courtney since I think that he is pretty highly ranked, Webster Groves is stacked.

Has one high school in Metro ever had 2 players this highly rated? and both Juniors!

11 hours ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Webster Groves must be the top team in Missouri right? What are the chances Gordon skips a year too?

Yes top team.  

Also, before the season started I had heard from a few that he thought about prep after his junior year.  That seems to have gone away, I hope. 

There's a lot of local intrigue in the district finals in Class 5:

-Chaminade (21-5) plays at SLUH (21-6) for the district 4 final on Friday evening after a pair of blowouts over Ladue and Ritenour, respectively. The teams have split the season series so far, but SLUH's win in the second matchup gave them the MCC title. CCP has been sliding in February and SLUH is trending upward. Look for SLUH to take the air out of the ball; it worked last time. SLU recruits Karrington Davis (offer) and Jericole Hellems (interest) will be in action. The road for both teams will be slightly easier after this game, as the winner gets the Pattonville-Hazelwood Central winner in sectionals and the District 1-District 2 sectional winner (either Jackson, Poplar Bluff, Timberland, or Fort Zumwalt West) in the quarterfinals. Whoever wins the SLUH-Chaminade game should end up in the semifinals; Hazelwood Central will be the biggest test.

-Webster Groves (24-2) has Vianney (13-13) for the district 7 final Friday evening at Lindbergh. SLU commit Carteare Gordon will get a high-stakes game against his former school. It'd be cool to see him go off. WGHS is certainly the heavy favorite.

-CBC (18-9) plays DeSmet (12-15) in another all-MCC district final at Parkway South tomorrow night. SLU recruit Kale Catchings (interest) will take on Travis Ford's son Brooks.

You wind up with some pretty uneven districts because MO does everything geographically. That's how two of the best teams in the state (CCP and SLUH) play each other so early, and there are districts like 8, which have no teams with a winning record. As for the non-local districts, so far they're playing out as expected. The best teams are all still around.

SLU recruits and local interest in the class 4 district finals:

-Fred Thatch and Sikeston (22-4) take on Cape Central (18-8) at Ste. Genevieve tomorrow night for the district 1 championship.

-Gaven Pinkley (interest) and Hillsboro (22-3) host Farmington (19-8) for the D2 final; a Hillsboro-Sikeston sectional game would be a good one.

-SLU hasn't shown official interest in any of St. Mary's (24-3) top players yet, but they have some talent and take on Confluence (14-9) at Lutheran South Friday night.

-Even with Clayton (11-16) hosting, Vashon (21-3) should have no trouble with them. SLU offerees Mario McKinney and Joseph Reece will be in action for Vashon. This also sets up a Vashon-St. Mary's sectional game, which should be a great one.

It also makes me reiterate my point that MO does no favors to its top teams, with Sikeston, St. Mary's, Vashon, and Hillsboro all in the same quadrant of the bracket. It's a shame only one of those four can go to Columbia, but I wouldn't be surprised if whichever team comes out of this group wins the Class 4 title.

6 hours ago, Pistol said:

-CBC (18-9) plays DeSmet (12-15) in another all-MCC district final at Parkway South tomorrow night. SLU recruit Kale Catchings (interest) will take on Travis Ford's son Brooks.

Pistol, do you know much about CBC's roster? A few weeks ago I saw that they had a player (think he was a freshman) with the last name of Love, and he was doing pretty well. Is it possible that the kid's father is Justin Love? JLove played with Justin Tatum, so I thought it might be a fit.