Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

1 minute ago, RiseAndGrind said:

If we need to restock the briefcases just let us know. I'm sure we can come up with something. 

That's why Steve is having a "fundraiser"...

When you have a PhD from Princeton you tend to have multiple briefcases and messenger bags that you can give away, conveniently...

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, The Pelican said:

That's why Steve is having a "fundraiser"...

When you have a PhD from Princeton you tend to have multiple briefcases and messenger bags that you can give away, conveniently...

I've been wanting to ask The Pelican.... you've mentioned that these guys are recruiting at a level never before seen.... they never stop. Could you share specific methods? Are they cold calling like Wolf of Wall Street???? Whats in the sauce? 

Taveion Hollingsworth is visiting Western Kentucky this weekend.

Nojel Eastern is taking an official visit to Ohio State; it's reportedly the last he'll take.

A new Twitter account for Alonzo Verge tweeted yesterday that he has six finalists (Illinois, Oregon, Minnesota, Providence, Ohio, Indiana State). Shortly after, recruiting writers tweeted that the account is apparently a fake and he has not narrowed his lists. The strange Alonzo Verge saga keeps getting weirder.

It wasn't a given that we'd make his finalists, honestly. Georgia, Mizzou, and Villanova have come on strongest in recent weeks. SLU, Memphis, Wyoming, and Duquesne were after him harder earlier this year. It's odd that Villanova is in his final five because I don't think they've offered officially.

If I had to call it, I'd guess Georgia.

He's deciding today, tomorrow, or Wednesday. Might be waiting to see if Nova comes through with that offer.

52 minutes ago, Pistol said:

If I had to call it, I'd guess Georgia.

A few weeks ago it looked like UGA, 247 seems to be leaning to nova recently. Mizzou hanging tough due to their J-school. 

17 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Huh?

They've been on him the most seriously from the start. I don't think he's going to give them the nod, but it's a testament to them sticking with him even as his profile increased.

1 minute ago, bauman said:

Let's get Jordan and French signed on 11/9.

For sure. I don't see any reason why they won't. Sometimes it takes a couple days with logistics, but I expect them both to sign immediately.

Just those two alone should make for an excellent recruiting class. There doesn't seem much recruiting buzz about anybody filling that last scholarship in the fall, but you never know. Sometimes a name that hasn't been previously mentioned will pop up. I'm fine waiting until the spring for that last one if there are no quality options over the next couple of weeks. Gives Ford a chance to see more of a what he'll have heading into next season not only from the active players, but also getting to see the three transfers practice all season.  

25 minutes ago, ACE said:

Just those two alone should make for an excellent recruiting class. There doesn't seem much recruiting buzz about anybody filling that last scholarship in the fall, but you never know. Sometimes a name that hasn't been previously mentioned will pop up. I'm fine waiting until the spring for that last one if there are no quality options over the next couple of weeks. Gives Ford a chance to see more of a what he'll have heading into next season not only from the active players, but also getting to see the three transfers practice all season.  

I don't think Groce will get fired until the Spring. 

I don't have total knowledge of the national situation but it has only been in extremely rare occasions where the first school did not release LOIs from their commitments after the head coach they signed with was fired or moved on.  I recall one situation with a kid who signed with Tulane and ended up going to Cal but that was almost back in Metro days.  We let Ryan Hollins go when Romar left.  I think Pepperdine did the same to Fisher when Romar left there.  NC Charlotte let Michael Beasley go when Huggins signed his recruiter to the staff at KState.  If you believe as I do that kids sign with coaches above all else, why keep a kid when the person he's tight with is gone.  Would only seem to cause further problems then not.

Taveion Hollingsworth rescheduled his WKU visit to this coming weekend; he was supposed to be there this past weekend. WKU and UAB are his leaders. Kentucky continues to string him along, knowing that they're going to have a ton of turnover in the spring, but they won't commit to an offer for him and Hollingsworth said he might not be willing to wait.

Nojel Eastern visited Ohio State this weekend. His recruitment has been quiet in between visit weekends. He continues to play it close to the vest.

Zach Gunn's recruitment is reportedly taking shape, but any leaders or visit info is behind a paywall for now.

15 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

If SLU can't get Tilmon, I want Hasse or Mack, just because Mizzou is recruiting them too. 

Frankly, I'd rather be "stealing" recruits from higher level programs like we have done recently (KU, Marquette, Illinois).  Mizzou is such a dumpster fire that they may be lowering their standards and Kim Anderson has shown a Jim Crews-like ability to judge talent.

So, am I correct that Tillmon could not sign in November and wait to sign until the Spring signing period?  If that is the case, and that is what he does, that would be a pretty strong statement on his part.  I'd be doing a lot of cheering against the Illini this season if that happens.

3 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

So, am I correct that Tillmon could not sign in November and wait to sign until the Spring signing period?  If that is the case, and that is what he does, that would be a pretty strong statement on his part.  I'd be doing a lot of cheering against the Illini this season if that happens.

Yes, Tilmon could choose not to sign in the early period and wait till the spring. If he signs in the early period, then he must get a release from the university if he chooses to leave.

2 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

Frankly, I'd rather be "stealing" recruits from higher level programs like we have done recently (KU, Marquette, Illinois).  Mizzou is such a dumpster fire that they may be lowering their standards and Kim Anderson has shown a Jim Crews-like ability to judge talent.

Um, no.