Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

2 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

If SLU can't get Tilmon, I want Hasse or Mack, just because Mizzou is recruiting them too. 

Haase eliminated SLU already; he's down to Mizzou, Louisville, South Carolina, Pitt, and Purdue. I'm content to damage Mizzou's recruiting in 2018 and beyond (Gordon is a nice start, and Watson would be an excellent continuation).

As far as Mack goes, I really like his game. I just worry about fit on our current roster. He's billed as a guy who can play the 1, 2, or 3 in college, but he's 6-5 or 6-6 with a big frame for a guard. He's more of a big shooting guard, like Henriquez, whereas I think we're in need of a quicker guy who can play PG and score. So if we end up getting Mack, I wonder if that means someone else on the roster is already being recruited over.

Guards: Bishop, Goodwin, Roby, Moore, Henriquez

Wings: Johnson, Welmer, Bess

Bigs: Foreman, French, Gillmann, Neufeld

Goodwin is an unconventional point guard, although I know that was part of the sales pitch. Bishop isn't a pure PG and Roby isn't much of a ball handler. Moore and Henriquez are shooters, and they're both about Mack's height. So the gaps there to me are another ball handling guard and a big post player. We might end up with a name we haven't discussed yet for that last 2017 spot. Then again, maybe the conventional wisdom on Ford - that he doesn't build a roster with pure PGs or post players, and likes athletic forwards who play a few positions - is true.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Haase eliminated SLU already; he's down to Mizzou, Louisville, South Carolina, Pitt, and Purdue. I'm content to damage Mizzou's recruiting in 2018 and beyond (Gordon is a nice start, and Watson would be an excellent continuation).

As far as Mack goes, I really like his game. I just worry about fit on our current roster. He's billed as a guy who can play the 1, 2, or 3 in college, but he's 6-5 or 6-6 with a big frame for a guard. He's more of a big shooting guard, like Henriquez, whereas I think we're in need of a quicker guy who can play PG and score. So if we end up getting Mack, I wonder if that means someone else on the roster is already being recruited over.

Guards: Bishop, Goodwin, Roby, Moore, Henriquez

Wings: Johnson, Welmer, Bess

Bigs: Foreman, French, Gillmann, Neufeld

Goodwin is an unconventional point guard, although I know that was part of the sales pitch. Bishop isn't a pure PG and Roby isn't much of a ball handler. Moore and Henriquez are shooters, and they're both about Mack's height. So the gaps there to me are another ball handling guard and a big post player. We might end up with a name we haven't discussed yet for that last 2017 spot. Then again, maybe the conventional wisdom on Ford - that he doesn't build a roster with pure PGs or post players, and likes athletic forwards who play a few positions - is true.

Considering Ford's playing history as a point guard, I fail to see why he wouldn't want to have at least one prototypical point guard on the roster.  I disagree, though, that Bishop isn't a point guard.  I believe he is, but Crews couldn't work through that.

38 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Considering Ford's playing history as a point guard, I fail to see why he wouldn't want to have at least one prototypical point guard on the roster.  I disagree, though, that Bishop isn't a point guard.  I believe he is, but Crews couldn't work through that.

I hope you're right. Crews didn't know how to use him, but he also had a player who could spark his offense. I'm not sure what Bishop's role looks like going forward into 2017-2018, which is one of the reasons this season is going to be fun despite the fact we're going to lose a lot of games. We get to see what the returning players are going to be.

Bishop is almost the definition of a scoring point guard.  Unfortunately, he didn't have any finishers last year and he doesn't have any this year.

Zeke has been playing point guard for the last two years.  I would feel comfortable with him logging 8-10 minutes a game at the point.  I know his defense is an issue but frankly, so is Bishop's.

Again, and at the risk of saying anything which could be deemed negative by the crowd who only wants to drink the blue Koolaid and say that great recruits guarantees a SLU Final Four (wow, no pressure there...), but didn't Travis Ford (yes, a former PG) have point guard issues at Oklahoma State - and by issues, I mean not enough of them?  Put me in the crowd that "too few PGs" at OK State is probably either a too simplistic and wrong account of tenure at OK State or that Coach Ford has learned from his tenure at OK State and won't make the same mistakes here at SLU. 

At the same time, and while remaining positive and giving Coach Ford the benefit of any doubt, I am not suggesting we recruit a true PG  for 2017 immediately after signing Goodwin (who might have been promised to be our PG), not totally sure we need another PG in 2017 if we will have both Bishop and Goodwin and if we have others who can fill in as PG, but I sure would like to land another PG in 2018.

Juco recruiting is different. High majors don't usually offer jucos until the spring. Georgia has already offered and Kansas State is close. If we're going to offer, now was the time to do it.  

With 5 new players already likely to start in 2017, the staff can afford to take this kind of risk. If his shot improves, he's an immediate contributor. If not, he's only here for 2 years. 

14 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Again, and at the risk of saying anything which could be deemed negative by the crowd who only wants to drink the blue Koolaid and say that great recruits guarantees a SLU Final Four (wow, no pressure there...), but didn't Travis Ford (yes, a former PG) have point guard issues at Oklahoma State - and by issues, I mean not enough of them?  Put me in the crowd that "too few PGs" at OK State is probably either a too simplistic and wrong account of tenure at OK State or that Coach Ford has learned from his tenure at OK State and won't make the same mistakes here at SLU. 

At the same time, and while remaining positive and giving Coach Ford the benefit of any doubt, I am not suggesting we recruit a true PG  for 2017 immediately after signing Goodwin (who might have been promised to be our PG), not totally sure we need another PG in 2017 if we will have both Bishop and Goodwin and if we have others who can fill in as PG, but I sure would like to land another PG in 2018.

I agree with this and at the very least finding a dependable ball handler and a passer.

I was wrong when I did not like the selection of Coach Ford as the SLU coach and my belief now is who would have been better selection.

I will always back Chris Mays decision of Coach Ford regardless of the results because of the body of work by the coach and the excitement Coach Ford has brought back to SLU basketball.

With that said I really hope that next recruiting announcement is for a PG or at least a ball handler that can run the offense.

49 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Juco recruiting is different. High majors don't usually offer jucos until the spring. Georgia has already offered and Kansas State is close. If we're going to offer, now was the time to do it.  

With 5 new players already likely to start in 2017, the staff can afford to take this kind of risk. If his shot improves, he's an immediate contributor. If not, he's only here for 2 years. 

The article says he would be a redshirt sophomore......not playing this year?

Raynere Thornton

SF, 6-7, 220

Marietta, GA (Gordon State College)

Offers: SLU, DePaul, Georgia, South Carolina, UTEP, Iona, Florida Gulf Coast, Florida Atlantic, Cal State-Bakersfield, Morehead State, UNC-Greensboro, Mercer, Arkansas-Little Rock, SEMO, Towson, Gardner-Webb, Nicholls State, Southeastern Louisiana, Maryland-Eastern Shore, Jacksonville State, Savannah State, Columbus State, Armstrong State, Young Harris, West Florida.

Interest: VCU, K-State, Arkansas, UCLA, Cal, Murray State, Cleveland State, Georgia State, Troy.

Latest News: Travis Ford was out to watch GSC practice and offered Thornton. UCLA visited recently, Cal called the other day, and K-State has been out a couple times.

Scouting Report: Thornton averaged right around a double-double as a freshman at Gordon State, and has the ability to score from all over the floor. He hits the glass hard at both ends. A JUCO sophomore, Thornton will be eligible immediately as a junior in 2017; he is currently meeting NCAA academic requirements.

Twitter: @raynere_3

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Pistol, if what you mean by power forward is that he's powerful, I would agree with that. But I would say he creates the most matchup problems at the 3 if his jump shot continues to improve.

That was honestly just a typo. He's listed as a SF most places; I wrote PF because I was just looking at another player's profile right before his. Fixed.

3 hours ago, Pistol said:

Raynere Thornton

SF, 6-7, 220

Marietta, GA (Gordon State College)

Offers: SLU, DePaul, Georgia, South Carolina, UTEP, Iona, Florida Gulf Coast, Florida Atlantic, Cal State-Bakersfield, Morehead State, UNC-Greensboro, Mercer, Arkansas-Little Rock, SEMO, Towson, Gardner-Webb, Nicholls State, Southeastern Louisiana, Maryland-Eastern Shore, Jacksonville State, Savannah State, Columbus State, Armstrong State, Young Harris, West Florida.

Interest: VCU, K-State, Arkansas, UCLA, Cal, Murray State, Cleveland State, Georgia State, Troy.

Latest News: Travis Ford was out to watch GSC practice and offered Thornton. UCLA visited recently, Cal called the other day, and K-State has been out a couple times.

Scouting Report: Thornton averaged right around a double-double as a freshman at Gordon State, and has the ability to score from all over the floor. He hits the glass hard at both ends. A JUCO sophomore, Thornton will be eligible immediately as a junior in 2017; he is currently meeting NCAA academic requirements.

Twitter: @raynere_3

-we haven't discussed juco's much - BEast and SEC offers with some smaller confs and other power 5 offers might be coming if the interest is real

-Coach Ford seems to really like guys that rebound aggressively, I do too