• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, Billiken4life5 said:

Don't think we'd be able to lure Bucky away from his home turf and Moser seems to be staying for at least one more year.  Loved Brey at ND but not sure he's the answer in the new era of NIL and portal.  One of the low major guys would be the preference for me in that situation. 

Yeah we could get Bucky. Yes he hasn't worked outside Alabama but money talks.

Just saying Brey is a known quantity to our booster base and had success in the mid-west but can he navigate NIL?

Why did no one hire Will Wade?

So there's some options left. I like our primary best.

28 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Schertz said he would take "a full day" so I'm not sure when the clock starts on that, but Friday might be too soon. I figured they would avoid Saturday for the Final Four doubleheader, not sure. Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday - it shouldn't be Monday.

If you want as much visibility and talk about the hire as possible, release the announcement Saturday before the Final Four tipoff shows start.  It will be mentioned on different channels and shows along the news tickers.  

The press conference can happen on Tuesday or Wednesday. Schertz will likely be at the Final Four with all other coaches, the NABC convention is this weekend.  He can also interview potential staff members if some of his current staff doesn’t come with him.

brianstl likes this

2 hours ago, NextYearBill said:

give me Huggins.... say you what you want, but we'd be dancing in no time 

Yeah, I don’t think he’d been an option after his comments on Catholics at Xavier. And he's past his prime and has multiple DUIs.  Not worth the PR headache.

12 minutes ago, TRN said:

If you want as much visibility and talk about the hire as possible, release the announcement Saturday before the Final Four tipoff shows start.  It will be mentioned on different channels and shows along the news tickers.  

The press conference can happen on Tuesday or Wednesday. Schertz will likely be at the Final Four with all other coaches, the NABC convention is this weekend.  He can also interview potential staff members if some of his current staff doesn’t come with him.

That's a good point that I hadn't really considered based on the fact that he's still actively coaching this season.

Just now, Pistol said:

That's a good point that I hadn't really considered based on the fact that he's still actively coaching this season.

A lot of coaches do not stay for the game. 

The convention goes from 4/4 - 4/8.  Have him there for at least Saturday to make the rounds and do interviews after the announcement is made.  That’s how you get free national PR.

I recognize that he tends to be a "fanboy" and is prone to overstating certain situations, but Frank just said on his show that today is "the last day that Josh Schertz will be the coach at Indiana St" Just a few minutes later he said that someone at SLU told him that the NIL money will be there to bring the Indiana State studs to SLU

gobillsgo likes this

3 minutes ago, SLUDrew said:

I recognize that he tends to be a "fanboy" and is prove to overstating certain situations, but Frank just said on his show that today is "the last day that Josh Schertz will be the coach at Indiana St" Just a few minutes later he said that someone at SLU told him that the NIL money will be there to bring the Indiana State studs to SLU

I realize this is going to come off nitpicky but a bit of me doesn't like the attitude of talking about Schertz like that when he's been so adamant to not speak on the situation. Seems a bit rude. Idk. Not shooting the messenger, Drew.

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

I realize this is going to come off nitpicky but a bit of me doesn't like the attitude of talking about Schertz like that when he's been so adamant to not speak on the situation. Seems a bit rude. Idk. Not shooting the messenger, Drew.

I was thinking the same thing when I read that post. I know reporters want to break the story but this seems to be the exact thing Schertz has been fighting against. If Schertz is coming here, and is taking names, Frank might find himself on the outside looking in.

2 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

I was thinking the same thing when I read that post. I know reporters want to break the story but this seems to be the exact thing Schertz has been fighting against. If Schertz is coming here, and is taking names, Frank might find himself on the outside looking in.

Also the kind of thing that could blow everything up.

OkieBilliken likes this

8 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Also the kind of thing that could blow everything up.

This is not Terra Haute. He is coming to a top 25 media market and earning the big bucks. Part handling the press will be his job.

If this does not work out here after he arrives, you'll have Bernie & Slaten doing the old 'I told you so'.

Majerus got away with it by ignoring the StL media other than Bernie, who was his buddy.

brianstl likes this

5 minutes ago, MusicCityBilliken said:

This is not Terra Haute. He is coming to a top 25 media market and earning the big bucks. Part handling the press will be his job.

If this does not work out here after he arrives, you'll have Bernie & Slaten doing the old 'I told you so'.

Majerus got away with it by ignoring the StL media other than Bernie, who was his buddy.

SLU is way down the pecking order for STL media.  During season they are behind the Blues, Missouri, Illinois, and Cards offseason.  Schertz will be able to handle them just fine.  I’d encourage him to be civil, like his exchange with Doyel from the Indy Post yesterday but keep them at arms length.  He doesn’t need to be buddies with them.

And who cares what Bernie has to say about college sports, he’s admittedly clueless.  Slaten isn’t an expert on anything but defending Paterno and swinging purses at people at the old Dubliner.

3 hours ago, Pistol said:

Schertz said he would take "a full day" so I'm not sure when the clock starts on that, but Friday might be too soon. I figured they would avoid Saturday for the Final Four doubleheader, not sure. Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday - it shouldn't be Monday.

They need to announce before Saturday to be honest with you.  That way Schertz can go to the Final Four.  He needs to be there for press reasons and to build his staff.  If they don't have this done before that they will miss out on a great chance at publicity for the program because Schertz will be an in demand interview at the Final Four.

1 hour ago, SLUDrew said:

I recognize that he tends to be a "fanboy" and is prone to overstating certain situations, but Frank just said on his show that today is "the last day that Josh Schertz will be the coach at Indiana St" Just a few minutes later he said that someone at SLU told him that the NIL money will be there to bring the Indiana State studs to SLU

Yeah, if SLU misses out on anyone they target in the transfer portal, not being able to afford the guy supposedly won't be the reason.