USC is supposedly trying to get Musselman from AR. If they get him, the opening at Arkansas would scare me about Schertz. There is no way we’d be able to compete with them unless this rumored MOU is real and would cost them to pay us for his change of mind. My guess is his agent is either angling for a better package with SLU or looking at some unknown P5 that may be looking. I guess he could also take the lifestyle route and stay at ISU. If he reneges on us, who’s out there? I sure hope we have a list of competent backups, or else the board will go ballistic. His comment about taking a day is a little bit of a red flag to my way of thinking. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, slu72 said:

USC is supposedly trying to get Musselman from AR. If they get him, the opening at Arkansas would scare me about Schertz. There is no way we’d be able to compete with them unless this rumored MOU is real and would cost them to pay us for his change of mind. My guess is his agent is either angling for a better package with SLU or looking at some unknown P5 that may be looking. I guess he could also take the lifestyle route and stay at ISU. If he reneges on us, who’s out there? I sure hope we have a list of competent backups, or else the board will go ballistic. His comment about taking a day is a little bit of a red flag to my way of thinking. 

I don't see Schertz being a cultural fit at Arkansas.

15 minutes ago, ACE said:

I don't see Schertz being a cultural fit at Arkansas.

I saw one thing that listed the top choices for Arkansas likely being Beard, Wade, and Tang. I have no idea the validity of that, but at least something I saw concerning Arkansas and who they would likely target that did not include Schertz.

50 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I like what Frank is saying here, I still don't like Frank. 😆

I don't get the dislike for Frank. He gives the Billikens more coverage than all of the other stations combined. He is a fan. If it's style thats one thing but coverage and boasting thats another. 

Tonka and AGB91 like this

Just now, TheChosenOne said:

I saw one thing that listed the top choices for Arkansas likely being Beard, Wade, and Tang. I have no idea the validity of that, but at least something I saw concerning Arkansas and who they would likely target that did not include Schertz.

Wade and Beard seem about right.

1 minute ago, willie said:

I don't get the dislike for Frank. He gives the Billikens more coverage than all of the other stations combined. He is a fan. If it's style thats one thing but coverage and boasting thats another. 

We ***** when we don't get coverage, we ***** when we do get coverage... ah yes, *****.

JMM28 and HoosierPal like this

2 minutes ago, willie said:

One problem with Frank is that folks know about him or know him away from the radio/tv and his behavior is not in line with some of his commentary. The other issue I have is that he tends to overplay what he knows. Ultimately, who cares I suppose, I will take him talking about SLU with excitement even if it is essentially as a mouthpiece for the program (gotta keep those sources haha).

Adman likes this

7 minutes ago, willie said:

I'd argue that he prefers to be a friend of influential sports personalities in STL than a fan of St Louis Sports. He wouldn't have spent 12+ months defending Ford if he was a fan.

8 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

One problem with Frank is that folks know about him or know him away from the radio/tv and his behavior is not in line with some of his commentary. The other issue I have is that he tends to overplay what he knows. Ultimately, who cares I suppose, I will take him talking about SLU with excitement even if it is essentially as a mouthpiece for the program (gotta keep those sources haha).

But being a mouthpiece is a good thing. Divorce youself from being an MBM and just being a casual fan.

13 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I'd argue that he prefers to be a friend of influential sports personalities in STL than a fan of St Louis Sports. He wouldn't have spent 12+ months defending Ford if he was a fan.

What credible sportscaster doesn't support the upper echelon? What TV personality second guesses   Olie? Kevin Slaten is not credible. 

4 minutes ago, willie said:

What credible sportscaster doesn't support the upper echelon? What TV personality second guesses   Olie? Kevin Slaten is not credible. 

Seems like the Bens over at the Post don't have a problem with holding feet to the flames. There's glazing over the issue and then there's propagandizing. Literally telling SLU fans they should forget buying out Ford and, get this, giving him more money to build a roster in NIL!

29 minutes ago, willie said:

He is the only serious media person in town who covers SLU, and a few idiots rag-doll him constantly. Guess you can't rip all things SLU if you don't take swings at the few people who cover us.

almaman and willie like this

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Arkansas isn't the problem.  Chris beard leaving Ole miss to go to Arkansas is our problem. Ole miss isnt exactly a big basketball program, hiring the likes of schertz is more of what they do. 

1 minute ago, DOC said:

He is the only serious media person in town who covers SLU, and a few idiots rag-doll him constantly. Guess you can't rip all things SLU if you don't take swings at the few people who cover us.

Not everyone wants to hear propaganda which is what Frank pretty much is. I don't waste my time listening, so I don't consume any of it, but I suppose it is better than nothing for those who do.

7 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Seems like the Bens over at the Post don't have a problem with holding feet to the flames. There's glazing over the issue and then there's propagandizing. Literally telling SLU fans they should forget buying out Ford and, get this, giving him more money to build a roster in NIL!

They are columist. They give opinions. 

8 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

The Bens certainly drift into Mizzou fanboy territory quite often - guys like them and Frank on radio share opinions... they are not going to cover a team the way a journalist is supposed to. They perform different roles.

willie likes this

37 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

All of this.  Also, he blocked me.

Michael Jordan's "And I Took That Personally" | Know Your Meme

9 minutes ago, DOC said:

I would not consider him a "serious" media figure.

JMM28 and TheChosenOne like this

I know people don't like hearing that the longer this goes on the less advantageous this is for SLU.  As time goes by and the pickings get slimmer that $4 million buyout becomes less of an issue.  I am not saying he isn't coming but time is our enemy.  

There are certain local sports media figures - like Frank and Slaten - who want SLU to be run in as small a way as possible. They're the ones who push for SLU to move to the Valley, to hire people they know, and to recruit exclusively regional players.

They want easy access to the program, they want influence, and they want it shaped by a small fraternity of like-minded locals who don't think beyond their pocket of the Midwest. They're obsessed with petty high school-level relationships and are stuck in the past. They either complain about or refuse to acknowledge the way the sport exists today.

They're small-time people and they want the program to reflect their small-time nature. They are not to be taken seriously.

We aspire to national competitiveness, the Big East, deep Tournament runs.

6 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I know people don't like hearing that the longer this goes on the less advantageous this is for SLU.  As time goes by and the pickings get slimmer that $4 million buyout becomes less of an issue.  I am not saying he isn't coming but time is our enemy.  

Because it doesn’t really matter. If someone wants to pay $4 million, cool. We just made 2 ncaa tournaments without doing a damn thing. USC wants Muss, Arkansas isn’t going to go after Schertz. We’re still probably 4-5 days away from Arkansas zeroing in and whatever school they pillage entering the conversation. With every win the price tag on their players goes up and the more likely Schertz can’t keep this team together at ISU. 

1 hour ago, willie said:

Why? What would make him serious?

for one going all in for blake ahearn.  talk about stupid. 

6 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Because it doesn’t really matter. If someone wants to pay $4 million, cool. We just made 2 ncaa tournaments without doing a damn thing. USC wants Muss, Arkansas isn’t going to go after Schertz. We’re still probably 4-5 days away from Arkansas zeroing in and whatever school they pillage entering the conversation. With every win the price tag on their players goes up and the more likely Schertz can’t keep this team together at ISU. 

Agreed, but this last part has me worried about getting some of those players here.