1 hour ago, mrjoelabs said:

Not sure if he has respect here but now Floyd Irons is pumping ahearn on radio shows.    Unsure of the fascination 

If Ahearn were coming, he would already be here.   If we end up getting Schertz, I will have to reluctantly tip my cap to AD May for sticking with the plan and landing the best fit for the program. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

This a problem we have here - we tend to eat our young.  It is hard to be successful when you got people in the community looking out for their own situation or want some type of retribution for what you perceive has been a slight to you.  Not sure what kind of influence Irons still has but you can bet he will be telling local players not to come here.

Irons has no influence on who comes to SLU. His time is passed.

11 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

This a problem we have here - we tend to eat our young.  It is hard to be successful when you got people in the community looking out for their own situation or want some type of retribution for what you perceive has been a slight to you.  Not sure what kind of influence Irons still has but you can bet he will be telling local players not to come here.

Edited by AGB91
double post

2 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

These old dudes like Irons, Cusumano, Slaten, Mr. Ahearn et al need to check themselves. From what I understand this is history repeating itself. A bunch of "influential St. Louisans" telling us all how dumb we are for not wanting Blake Ahearn as coach and then are beside themselves when everyone is sick of the dude(who did nothing wrong).

14 minutes ago, AGB91 said:

Except his son is now the Vashon coach, so he does have some influence on those players.

But it is much different now with the portal and NIL from when Floyd was coaching.  Everybody and their brother has handlers/agents now, too.

I'm not celebrating until Schertz is in Saint Louis and has signed on the dotted line, but huge huge props to all the work that Chris May and the boosters have done to put us in position to land Schertz and fend off valiant efforts by Louisville and other major players to try to steal him from us. 

Adman likes this

3 hours ago, mrjoelabs said:

Not sure if he has respect here but now Floyd Irons is pumping ahearn on radio shows.    Unsure of the fascination 

I believe his son Tony played AAU ball with Blake. 

1 hour ago, TRN said:

Except his son is now the Vashon coach, so he does have some influence on those players.

But it is much different now with the portal and NIL from when Floyd was coaching.  Everybody and their brother has handlers/agents now, too.

Tony and Floyd Irons are not going to to tell kids not to come to SLU because Blake didn't get the job.  The best thing for Tony's future is that as many of his players as possible move on to the best situations as possible after Vashon. He isn't going to work to stop that from happening if that situation happens to be SLU for some of his kids. 

30 minutes ago, willie said:

I believe his son Tony played AAU ball with Blake. 

It is amazing to see Floyd going to bat for a De Smet guy given the history of that rivalry over the years.

22 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Honey, I found our new home in St Louis. You’re gonna love it. 

I'd go for Clayton area, really nice not a bad commute to SLU.

Having coffee on the back deck with siblings and the outlaws yesterday, my BIL says- “so I hear Ahearn is happening for SLU?!” 😕 this BIL is fairly in the know with things - however not a billboard member and not a major SLU fan as myself- he did kick my arse in the bracket this year for what it’s worth.

i just said- that is false- not happening- people who have some connection to him and losing their mojo trying to stay relevant- it’s Schertz ( whom he was very excited about) happy Easter. 

I mean can we announce schertz soon or what? 

If Mack to Charleston is true, I have to assume that we could have gotten him.  I'm sold on Schertz despite my initial concerns about having no big wins.  However, I have to think that years down the road, we will all look back at this hire as a choice between Schertz, Mack, and Ahearn.  This board's choice was clearly Schertz.

1 minute ago, cgeldmacher said:

If Mack to Charleston is true, I have to assume that we could have gotten him.  I'm sold on Schertz despite my initial concerns about having no big wins.  However, I have to think that years down the road, we will all look back at this hire as a choice between Schertz, Mack, and Ahearn.  This board's choice was clearly Schertz.

In fairness, I don’t think anyone thought Mack was a realistic option.  He may not have been an option, doesn’t his daughter play volleyball in Florida?  Possible he wanted to be close to her.  Schertz and Mack were 1A and 1B for me, with the rumored players following Schertz giving him a very slight edge.  I do think Chris Mack could’ve been EXTREMELY successful here, but I also think Schertz will be. 

If you told me a month ago that the most frequent names mentioned in a thread about the SLU coaching search included Blake Ahearn, Floyd Irons, Bruce Weber, Kevin Slaten, and Frank Cusumano: giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952qsnsf1q1gh4xs99fpk

brianstl likes this

3 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

In fairness, I don’t think anyone thought Mack was a realistic option.  He may not have been an option, doesn’t his daughter play volleyball in Florida?  Possible he wanted to be close to her.  Schertz and Mack were 1A and 1B for me, with the rumored players following Schertz giving him a very slight edge.  I do think Chris Mack could’ve been EXTREMELY successful here, but I also think Schertz will be. 

If he is choosing Charleston, I have to think we could have brought him here.  Charleston is probably going to be paying him a lot less than we are going to pay Schertz.

TheA_Bomb likes this

1 hour ago, Billikitty7 said:

Having coffee on the back deck with siblings and the outlaws yesterday, my BIL says- “so I hear Ahearn is happening for SLU?!” 😕 this BIL is fairly in the know with things - however not a billboard member and not a major SLU fan as myself- he did kick my arse in the bracket this year for what it’s worth.

i just said- that is false- not happening- people who have some connection to him and losing their mojo trying to stay relevant- it’s Schertz ( whom he was very excited about) happy Easter. 

I mean can we announce schertz soon or what? 

Not until the season is over apparently

On 3/31/2024 at 11:24 AM, slu72 said:

He should have worked with Pitino for a couple of years before he took the job at Campbell. Pitino is noted for developing players and fitting them to his systems and style of play. Ford would have benefited from his mentorship. Like Rick did under Al and Raymond’s. 

Campbellsville in Kentucky, not Campbell in North Carolina. The story is he turned down the Campbellsville job numerous times until a big backer of the school wouldn’t take no for an answer. Ford wasn’t looking for a coaching job at the time, had just finished making the movie, The Sixth Man, and was considering hanging around LA and see what might develop.

50 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Charleston is very fortunate to be a 1 hr flight away from Mack's new base of operations in Florida.  He's at the point of his career where he never has to move again.  He can just take the highest paying nearby job.

billiken_roy likes this