SLU Men's Basketball Head Coaching Candidates

29 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Hitting a grand slam would be great, but the odds of that are crazy. We need to start consistently hitting doubles and triples. Keep building off each coach that comes in and "uses us as a stepping stone" and who knows...eventually you end up in a new conference and a destination job.

I wholeheartedly agree with this take. If a coach is here for three years and then gets plucked by a P6 school, he will have raised the profile of the program in general and the prestige of the position of head coach at SLU. 
I dont need a Coach to claim SLU is his destination job. It’s a disingenuous statement to begin with, and sounds a bit too “comfortable” for my liking. 

TRN and Lando Griffin like this

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, SLUDrew said:

I wholeheartedly agree with this take. If a coach is here for three years and then gets plucked by a P6 school, he will have raised the profile of the program in general and the prestige of the position of head coach at SLU. 
I dont need a Coach to claim SLU is his destination job. It’s a disingenuous statement to begin with, and sounds a bit too “comfortable” for my liking. 

So true. Travis Ford would have stayed here forever, if he was allowed to.

@HoosierPal yeah that's a possibility. I do think, though I am biased, despite FAU's recent success, SLU is a better destination unless he really wants to go back to FL.

The algorithm got me this is a really good video on how ISU became the most efficient offense (FG% by KENPOM in the nation) remember that time random internet guys made a video about how efficient our last coach's offense was? Me neither

Bizziken likes this

9 minutes ago, FatherB said:

Do ISU players have immediate eligibility if they follow Scherzo and transfer to SLU?

Robbie Avila to SLU means the AD is purchasing Billiken mascot size rec specs. 

Hell, Avila could just become the Billiken at that point.

2 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Hitting a grand slam would be great, but the odds of that are crazy. We need to start consistently hitting doubles and triples. Keep building off each coach that comes in and "uses us as a stepping stone" and who knows...eventually you end up in a new conference and a destination job.

To do this we need to start low and build gradually. This allows us to pay a lower amount than Ford was getting and dispose of coaches that do not perform as expected without much trouble. To do this I am afraid we need a different AD.

So,  we will see what happens.

18 hours ago, slufan13 said:

Vandy basketball feels like a slightly lesser version than DePaul basketball. Great school, great area, bad basketball 

Vandy wanted to move on from Kevin Stallings because he made “only” 7 of the 13 previous NCAA Tourneys with 3 NIT’s mixed in with that. Some of those 5/12 NCAA Tourney upset losses didn’t help. It would have been 8 of 14 NCAA Tourneys for Stallings as Drew made it the following year with Stallings’ roster. And that’s during a time of far less university Admin basketball commitment than they have now. 

Drew was expected to do better/build off of Stalling. After that first season, he struggled the next two seasons with 13th and 14th place finishes. Their AD retired, and he unexpectedly passed away at breakfast a week later. Their next/new AD fired Drew without ever meeting him. Stack was hired as an inexperienced college coach hired by his new AD friend, an AD that lasted one year because he in part, spent too much money. 

Now Vandy has an athletics friendly Chancellor. They have a Vandy lifer AD, a former Women’s basketball player there. She recently hired a long time UConn assistant (on staff for 6 national titles) to be their Women’s Basketball Head Coach. She recently secured a top 10 national recruit from Rutgers Prep.
And they have a strong Men’s Basketball budget.

They have $$$.

Stack is getting big money to go away, significantly more $ than Ford. They have their Anchor Impact Collective, a new 90,000 square feet basketball only building opening this year, a new athletes village, and over $300 million worth of athletics projects. Even their newly renovated football stadium recently sold out the North End Zone at $1100 a ticket for this Fall.

They recently added a Women’s Volleyball program, which begins play this Fall. That HC was the Associate HC of the recent UK National Title team and 6 straight SEC Titles.  Chris Mack’s daughter is on the team. (She was formerly a Mizzou commit.) And they are expected to add Women’s Softball soon. 

Vandy’s baseball coach makes Travis Ford level SLU money. Their basketball and football coaches have been making $3 million plus and $4 million plus. 

3 minutes ago, courtside said:

Vandy wanted to move on from Kevin Stallings because he made “only” 7 of the 13 previous NCAA Tourneys with 3 NIT’s mixed in with that. Some of those 5/12 NCAA Tourney upset losses didn’t help. It would have been 8 of 14 NCAA Tourneys for Stallings as Drew made it the following year with Stallings’ roster. And that’s during a time of far less university Admin basketball commitment than they have now. 

Drew was expected to do better/build off of Stalling. After that first season, he struggled the next two seasons with 13th and 14th place finishes. Their AD retired, and he unexpectedly passed away at breakfast a week later. Their next/new AD fired Drew without ever meeting him. Stack was hired as an inexperienced college coach hired by his new AD friend, an AD that lasted one year because he in part, spent too much money. 

Now Vandy has an athletics friendly Chancellor. They have a Vandy lifer AD, a former Women’s basketball player there. She recently hired a long time UConn assistant (on staff for 6 national titles) to be their Women’s Basketball Head Coach. She recently secured a top 10 national recruit from Rutgers Prep.
And they have a strong Men’s Basketball budget.

They have $$$.

Stack is getting big money to go away, significantly more $ than Ford. They have their Anchor Impact Collective, a new 90,000 square feet basketball only building opening this year, a new athletes village, and over $300 million worth of athletics projects. Even their newly renovated football stadium recently sold out the North End Zone at $1100 a ticket for this Fall.

They recently added a Women’s Volleyball program, which begins play this Fall. That HC was the Associate HC of the recent UK National Title team and 6 straight SEC Titles.  Chris Mack’s daughter is on the team. (She was formerly a Mizzou commit.) And they are expected to add Women’s Softball soon. 

Vandy’s baseball coach makes Travis Ford level SLU money. Their basketball and football coaches have been making $3 million plus and $4 million plus. 

Key word basketball but solid essay on unrelated topics. A for effort F for execution 

TheA_Bomb likes this

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Josh Schertz graduated from Florida Atlantic.  Dusty May is the current FAU coach.  Dusty May is on every P5 open coaching job short list.  Connect the dots.

He’s not going to an AAC school.  If he returned to South Florida it would be to Miami when Laranaga retires.  FAU is like FGCU, they catch lightning in a bottle and once the coach leaves it’s gone.  You never want to be the coach that follows that coach.

Edited by TRN
AAC, not AAU

7 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Josh Schertz or total failure. Get right boosters and May. Get it right. 

Dude's in demand. There are other good options. I'm preparing myself in case this falls apart. 

SLU_Lax likes this

2 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Dude's in demand. There are other good options. I'm preparing myself in case this falls apart. 

We were promised the candidate the most would be satisfied with. It's Schertz or bust 

5 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Key word basketball but solid essay on unrelated topics. A for effort F for execution 

Your tone sure is different when you send me messages asking me for SLU Men’s Basketball information than it is here.

They recently made 8 of 14 NCAA Tourneys in Men’s Basketball, which they didn’t think was good enough, and that’s before they made a bigger commitment to Men’s Basketball. 

Here’s their Men’s hoops expenses :

$13,587,388

https://ope.ed.gov/athletics/#/

SLU’s was 

$7,623,032

Here’s their new hoops building:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/sports/vandy/vanderbilt-unveils-images-of-basketball-operations-center/article_4746c0f0-5653-11ed-a026-2f8467956be4.html

It’s good that SLU is progressing and moving in a positive direction to be more competitive in Men’s Basketball. It helps to know the landscape out there a little bit.