End of a (mediocre) era. Travis Ford is out.

19 minutes ago, Pistol said:

It was brought up on Spaces last night that "Team Blue" has to go.

Based on how this went down - Kilcoyne's tweet right before the buzzer, Ford not wanting to discuss it in any detail, SLU not making it official until an hour and a half after the game - it looks like they wanted to get everyone back to St. Louis and then take control of the announcement and media interactions.

Vintage Chris May. 'Let's keep a lid on this as long as possible and control the narrative' has backfired more than once now.

Given the timing of how it came out Martin (and undoubtedly Frank and others) have had the news for weeks and agreed to hold the scoop until the Bills season officially ended.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, ARon said:

Given the timing of how it came out Martin (and undoubtedly Frank and others) have had the news for weeks and agreed to hold the scoop until the Bills season officially ended.

Apparently Frank Cusumano said they told Ford 3 weeks ago. I guess he said this on the air somewhere? I don't listen to STL sports talk radio and was focused on the postgame pressers and Spaces last night, so I haven't been able to confirm.

Even if a few local media members knew, I think they wanted it to be addressed when they got back to St. Louis, not when the buzzer sounded last night.

TheOne likes this

I think the athletic department was willing to drop the news over the weekend like planned but then the national media got a pulse on it and they wanted it to be a local thing so they felt more in control. My guess is then even Kilcoyne dropped the news sooner than they planned. They wanted this to be quieter. 

Soderball likes this

But it doesn't really matter how or why it happened. It's just that trying to keep everything a deep secret and trying to control the media just doesn't work. And then Ford got put in an awkward position during his press conference. It's just a failure. 

Soderball likes this

31 minutes ago, Pistol said:

It was brought up on Spaces last night that "Team Blue" has to go.

Based on how this went down - Kilcoyne's tweet right before the buzzer, Ford not wanting to discuss it in any detail, SLU not making it official until an hour and a half after the game - it looks like they wanted to get everyone back to St. Louis and then take control of the announcement and media interactions.

Vintage Chris May. 'Let's keep a lid on this as long as possible and control the narrative' has backfired more than once now.

For Kilcoyne to run with it as strongly as he did his source was either inside the building or a few select others who wanted him to tweet it exactly when he did.

Soderball likes this

Went over to Sycamore Pride, the Indiana State board.   They are obviously still hoping/chasing that at-large bid.   Didn't read of any concern there might be some schools looking to snag their coach.  

Just now, OkieBilliken said:

Went over to Sycamore Pride, the Indiana State board.   They are obviously still hoping/chasing that at-large bid.   Didn't read of any concern there might be some schools looking to snag their coach.  

Start on this page. It's there.

They have unkind things to say about SLU.

Soderball likes this

I love how Chris May says compete, educate, community and then says we need to win championships regularly in mbb and wbb in changing world of NIL. He’s so dumb. Should ask his staff about the goofy staff “charge” he puts on every year. It’s apparently so over the top cheesy, bad and 100% phony. If he keeps demanding people attend this year I heard the staff will boycott and walk out on him. Guy needs to go, his act is so old. Every time he makes a comment or doesn’t make one he and slu look even worse. 

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

Start on this page. It's there.

They have unkind things to say about SLU.

Ewww yeah.......missed that.  Thanks!   I guess I'd be unkind if I were them.       

Well I hope they enjoy the NIT and then lose their coach to someone

SycamoreStateofMind on Sycamore Pride Board's Reason's for Schertz to stay in Terre Haute

"The case for staying at Indiana State for those of you that need comforted.

- Contract extension 5 years $800k annual. The buyout will raise. Donors supporting the effort in excess of $350k will have an opt out if he leaves."

$800K??????? HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHHA

Bro Fordham could steal your coach. If they cared about basketball.

I've seen Schertz mentioned in just about all the major openings. He's likely gone, very likely to SLU.

I've learned this season that there are a lot of people that may know about their team but really don't know about the Sport in general.

OkieBilliken likes this

51 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

and how many more wins did keeping this secret gain the billikens?   how many more fans quit complaining holding that in?   didnt help one bit.  they could have let the world know he was leaving at season end and no one would have cared and just maybe the fanbase would have been a lot more relaxed.   

How many losses did they have? 

The coach they wanted wasn’t available so it doesn’t matter.

starting looking forward. 

40 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Apparently Frank Cusumano said they told Ford 3 weeks ago. I guess he said this on the air somewhere? I don't listen to STL sports talk radio and was focused on the postgame pressers and Spaces last night, so I haven't been able to confirm.

Even if a few local media members knew, I think they wanted it to be addressed when they got back to St. Louis, not when the buzzer sounded last night.

Frank said the 3 week think on the KSDK 10pm news broadcast. This would have been about before the GW game.  I think it was the following weekend where there was a lot of smoke he was going to be fired early - but never materialized. 

10 hours ago, brianstl said:

Don’t know if the interest is there from DeVries.  He might be content to stay at Drake until the right P5 job opens.

Until this year, he was only making $335,000.  This year it went up to $628,000.

That's $1.8M less than Ford.  That's a lot of reasons.  

Add to that if he thinks he can get SLU to the Big East, his value skyrockets.

He also has the same amount of NCAA wins Ford has.  DeVries has only been a head coach for 6 years of a minnow.  Ford was head coach for 27 years with some heavily underperforming teams. 

4 minutes ago, ThreeTimeBilliken said:

Until this year, he was only making $335,000.  This year it went up to $628,000.

That's $1.8M less than Ford.  That's a lot of reasons.  

Add to that if he thinks he can get SLU to the Big East, his value skyrockets.

He also has the same amount of NCAA wins Ford has.  DeVries has only been a head coach for 6 years of a minnow.  Ford was head coach for 27 years with some heavily underperforming teams. 

His team next year will be even better. If he makes the tourney again, possibly as a ranked team, he will far surpass what he’d make here 

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

https://www.ksdk.com/article/sports/college/slu/slu-basketball/travis-ford-fired-as-head-coach-of-slu-billikens-basketball-team/63-182f7573-0d74-4765-a8ac-20cf4b494b48

video in the article 

Pistol likes this

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

His team next year will be even better. If he makes the tourney again, possibly as a ranked team, he will far surpass what he’d make here 

4 years at SLU would set him up nicely to move to Creighton when McDermott's contract expires (and he retires) in 2028.

DeVries would only be 52 in 2028.

I still can't believe McDermott still made less than Ford.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

I've said it before, the CIA method of denying as long as possible seems to blow up more than do any good.  Once a decision has been made, what's the point?  Staying all secret isnt going to make anything better.   Rip the f'n bandaid off and move on.   I'd much rather discuss the future than continue to play the narrative we played here the last few MONTHS.  Honestly that was toxic and sure did nothing to help the Billiken Fandom's well being.   It only made things worse.  

Very well said.

12 minutes ago, ThreeTimeBilliken said:

I still can't believe McDermott still made less than Ford.

There's a few coaches that make the contract that much more depressing 

Lando Griffin likes this

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

I've said it before, the CIA method of denying as long as possible seems to blow up more than do any good.  Once a decision has been made, what's the point?  Staying all secret isnt going to make anything better.   Rip the f'n bandaid off and move on.   I'd much rather discuss the future than continue to play the narrative we played here the last few MONTHS.  Honestly that was toxic and sure did nothing to help the Billiken Fandom's well being.   It only made things worse.  

There is no reason to have him coach in the A10 tournament.  It prolonged the inevitable and lead to the cluster of people releasing the news as he walked off the court.  They should have let him go off after the win and end of regular season in Olean.  

The fact that media knew about it for weeks and still pushed for the guy says where their motives are - it’s for their buddy, not for SLU.  Should’ve figured with Kentucky and Marquette fanboys. 

2 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

SycamoreStateofMind on Sycamore Pride Board's Reason's for Schertz to stay in Terre Haute

"The case for staying at Indiana State for those of you that need comforted.

- Contract extension 5 years $800k annual. The buyout will raise. Donors supporting the effort in excess of $350k will have an opt out if he leaves."

$800K??????? HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHHA

Bro Fordham could steal your coach. If they cared about basketball.

I've seen Schertz mentioned in just about all the major openings. He's likely gone, very likely to SLU.

I've learned this season that there are a lot of people that may know about their team but really don't know about the Sport in general.

I mean I don't think he's necessarily way off. We kind of suck and we are pretty irrelevant nationally. A10 is meh. I want Schertz but I definitely think he could go p5 if he wanted. Just depends what he is looking for. 

We shall see.