2024 SLU Men's Basketball Head Coaching Search

15 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

I would take someone like this over a retread, need new thinking with the NIL.  Not sure if this is exactly the right person, but I’d take him over any retread. 

I think Pitino’s kid is an interesting option, but he is a retread.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can stand living in New Mexico than that gig is one of the best in the country.  Huge fan support, no media pressure, great facilities and gobs of money thrown at you.  I think the SLU job is good but New Mexico is better.

I think Pitino is rounding into form as a HC.  The Minnesota job sucks, no one wins there and no one wants to coach there.  He's put New Mexico back on the map.  

His offensive style leaves a lot to be desired and his recruiting is strange.  He likes to recruit transfers and international.  Local recruiting will dry up.  He's not a bad candidate by any means but I don't know if he's in my top 5.  I hope this is an indication that SLU is looking at legit candidates and not retired bums like Tom Crean.

slufan13, gabriel and TheA_Bomb like this

8 minutes ago, thetorch said:

If you can stand living in New Mexico than that gig is one of the best in the country.  Huge fan support, no media pressure, great facilities and gobs of money thrown at you.  I think the SLU job is good but New Mexico is better.

I think Pitino is rounding into form as a HC.  The Minnesota job sucks, no one wins there and no one wants to coach there.  He's put New Mexico back on the map.  

His offensive style leaves a lot to be desired and his recruiting is strange.  He likes to recruit transfers and international.  Local recruiting will dry up.  He's not a bad candidate by any means but I don't know if he's in my top 5.  I hope this is an indication that SLU is looking at legit candidates and not retired bums like Tom Crean.

Pitino recruited lots of Minnesota kids when he was at Minnesota.  He probably went heavy on the transfers at his new gig because New Mexico isn't exactly a basketball hot bed.

3 hours ago, brianstl said:

I think Pitino’s kid is an interesting option, but he is a retread.

I understand your point but since he is currently at another school which is being successful then I don't see him as a typical retread.  A retread to me is one who is coming off a poor performance without an intervening success story.

3 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Pitino Sr has said he wants his kid to take the St. John's job when he retires.  In the meantime , I think he wants his kid to stay put at NM.

I think NM is a great place and so staying there is not a bad deal in my eyes but I also see if he were to come to SLU and wins that would be a great steppingstone for getting the SJU job.  After all, his dad came from Iona to SJU kind of a similar deal.  I would only caution a child that following their successful father may not be a good deal - see Georgetown and UNLV

4 hours ago, thetorch said:

Watching their game vs UNLV right now. Over 15,000 (loud fans) in attendance at the Pit tonight. Tonight at the Pit everyone gets laid. 

10 hours ago, cheeseman said:

I understand your point but since he is currently at another school which is being successful then I don't see him as a typical retread.  A retread to me is one who is coming off a poor performance without an intervening success story.

Correct, and we don’t normally think of 41 year olds as retreads.

3 hours ago, slufan13 said:

SLU could probably pay him more money but that may be the only thing that's better about the job. 

Just depends. Albuquerque isn't a bad town, I'd prefer STL.  But let's say it's equal.

Recruiting territory advantage SLU.

Conference MWC vs A10.  MWC but if you're an east Coast guy then A10 would be attractive.

Better Italian food? STL

Overall facilities probably SLU. The Pit is known as a good spot but I don't know about the other facilities we have nice arena and brand new Champions Center.

So it's close.

Yeah I want to see video of Ford being held back. That needs to be out there for the SLU boosters that want to keep Ford to see and defend.

Based on a little street whispering and posts the last 2 days. I've updated the list. 

• Drew Diener (Rockhurst)
  • Richard Pitino (New Mexico)
  • Mark Byington (James Madison)
  • Darian DeVries (Drake)
  • Bryce Drew (Grand Canyon)
  • Andy Enfield (USC)
  • Mitch Henderson (Princeton)
  • Chris Holtmann (Ohio State)
  • Pat Kelsey (Charleston)
  • Dustin Kerns (Appalachian State)
  • Steve Lutz (Western Kentucky)
  • Chris Mack (Retired)
  • Ben McCullom (Northwest Missouri State)
  • Bucky McMillan (Samford)
  • Mike Morrell (UNC-Asheville)
  • Porter Moser (Oklahoma)
  • Josh Schertz (Indiana State)
  • Todd Simon (Bowling Green)
  • Mark Turgeon (Retired)
  • Brian Wardle (Bradley)
  • Sundance Wicks (Green Bay)
  • Jay Wright (Retired)

11 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Based on a little street whispering and posts the last 2 days. I've updated the list. 

• Drew Diener (Rockhurst)
  • Richard Pitino (New Mexico)
  • Mark Byington (James Madison)
  • Darian DeVries (Drake)
  • Bryce Drew (Grand Canyon)
  • Andy Enfield (USC)
  • Mitch Henderson (Princeton)
  • Chris Holtmann (Ohio State)
  • Pat Kelsey (Charleston)
  • Dustin Kerns (Appalachian State)
  • Steve Lutz (Western Kentucky)
  • Chris Mack (Retired)
  • Ben McCullom (Northwest Missouri State)
  • Bucky McMillan (Samford)
  • Mike Morrell (UNC-Asheville)
  • Porter Moser (Oklahoma)
  • Josh Schertz (Indiana State)
  • Todd Simon (Bowling Green)
  • Mark Turgeon (Retired)
  • Brian Wardle (Bradley)
  • Sundance Wicks (Green Bay)
  • Jay Wright (Retired)

No Blake, huh.

3 minutes ago, wgstl said:

No Blake, huh.

Sounds like the focus will be on a head coach with previous collegiate head coaching experience. Obviously there are other qualifications. Speculating here but I think we can all expect a coach who has a proven history of winning, and I would say they are either on their way up, or more winning pedigree than Travis Ford. 

1 minute ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Removed Blake and the 2 assistants on the list (Carrawell and Nevada Smith), added Richard Pitino.

Just now, billikenfan05 said:

Sounds like the focus will be on a head coach with previous collegiate head coaching experience. 

Pitino Is an interesting one. The one MBM had mentioned him, and Trilly has him as a coach on the move.