GDT: SLU v. Utah St.

SluSignGuy

SLU Men's Basketball Game Notes & Information
Game No. 8 Saint Louis (5-2) vs. Utah State (5-1)
Date // Time Tuesday, Nov. 28, 2023 // 7 p.m.
Location St. Louis, Mo. (Chaifetz Arena)
Tickets Purchase Now
Radio KMOX 1120 AM (Bob Ramsey, Earl Austin Jr.)
TV Bally Sports Midwest Extra (Scott Warmann, Scott Highmark)
Stream ESPN+ | Bally Sports app and BallySports.com
Live Stats StatBroadcast
Series History Saint Louis leads 1-0
Game Notes Saint Louis | Utah State

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LHJ is off to a slow start and we need him to get going. He went 1-7 from the floor and the six shots he missed were all poor decisions. His one make came on an impressive follow of his own shot but the first one shouldn’t have been taken. Combined with Medley they were 1-9 from the field and Medley’s 2 three point misses were shots he should’ve passed up.

I think Ford’s comments about poor shot selection were addressed to those two, and probably Bruce as well for his ill-advised airball. We’ve got to get LHJ going as he figured to be a key contributor this year but hasn’t put it together yet. 

One other thing is that Jimerson really played well in spite of the 6-18 from the floor. While his three point shot wasn’t there, he had several great drives, had some bad luck on most of the ones he missed, and earned his trips to the stripe. I was listening to parts of the game and Rammer’s description of events made it sound like he was really off, but watching the replay showed he had an excellent game and my criticism of his play was unfair.

Dr Bird likes this

46 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

LHJ is off to a slow start and we need him to get going. He went 1-7 from the floor and the six shots he missed were all poor decisions. His one make came on an impressive follow of his own shot but the first one shouldn’t have been taken. Combined with Medley they were 1-9 from the field and Medley’s 2 three point misses were shots he should’ve passed up.

I think Ford’s comments about poor shot selection were addressed to those two, and probably Bruce as well for his ill-advised airball. We’ve got to get LHJ going as he figured to be a key contributor this year but hasn’t put it together yet. 

This is true. Young Mr Hughes is hitting a respectable 37.5% from the arc, but his mid range jumper is MIA. He is shooting around 16% inside the arc. That is not sustainable for a starter. His D is solid, rebounding is just okay, but he needs to help out filling the gap left with Parker on the sideline. 

20 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

This is true. Young Mr Hughes is hitting a respectable 37.5% from the arc, but his mid range jumper is MIA. He is shooting around 16% inside the arc. That is not sustainable for a starter. His D is solid, rebounding is just okay, but he needs to help out filling the gap left with Parker on the sideline. 

His Mid range not only went MIA, half of the shots were poor decisions. Turn around one leg jumper when you're cold?  No..

7 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

I feel like a great crowd would go a long way tonight.  This is a big one.

I wouldn’t get your hopes up. Not sure what attendance they will announce, but I’m guessing <6500 butts in seats.   Average sports fan doesn’t give a damn about Utah State, and there’s less hype around our program than there’s been at any other point in the Ford era.  Why would anyone on the fence come out to watch this team right now? 

gonna be up to us MBMs to get on the refs tonight. 

TheBand likes this

9 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

I wouldn’t get your hopes up. Not sure what attendance they will announce, but I’m guessing <6500 butts in seats.   Average sports fan doesn’t give a damn about Utah State, and there’s less hype around our program than there’s been at any other point in the Ford era.  Why would anyone on the fence come out to watch this team right now? 

Agreed, the average Joe isn't aware Utah st is as good of a program as they really are.  Boise st crown last year wasnt what I thought it would be, for the same reason.  BUT, perhaps its looked at from the other way, Utah st is likely the "biggest name" that travels here in OOC... Id think its bigger than Ltech and easily Hofstra.

11 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Agree while a hard core BB fan knows USU is legit the casuals don't know. 

35 minutes ago, wgstl said:

His Mid range not only went MIA, half of the shots were poor decisions. Turn around one leg jumper when you're cold?  No..

Yes. That shot was one of the ones highlighted and labeled a Big No. 

3 for 22 inside the painted semi-circle for the year. We all know he will do better. It needs to happen sooner than later. 

1 minute ago, slufan13 said:

I see this being one of those situations where we win tonight and then follow it up with a 20 point loss at Carbondale on Saturday. 

I'll take that.  Because we're likely losing Saturday regardless. 

I can accept getting walloped tonight if the kids actually play.  Against Dartmouth Ford went back to his old ways and really shortened the bench.  Fifth year players got 69% of the minutes in that game.  LHJ got half of the minutes that didn't go to the fifth year players.  Can it really be claimed that we are taking our bumps by playing the kids when 84% of the minutes of the minutes available against Dartmouth are going to either fifth year players or a guy that averaged 10 mpg in conference play last season?  The underclassmen that have little or no D1 experience in the Dartmouth game only got 4% more of the minutes available against Dartmouth than what Parker and Hughes averaged in conference play last season.  Saturday night against Dartmouth wasn't a team struggling because it was playing a bunch of kids adjusting to the college game.  It was a veteran team on the court that luckily eked out a win at home against by far the worst team in the Ivy League. 

billiken_roy likes this

30 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Agree while a hard core BB fan knows USU is legit the casuals don't know. 

USU has been pretty legit for a few years. I think that is generally changing, more people who pay attention to CBB know USU is a program with credibility right now. SLU's low attendance is due to malaise with the program after failing to do anything last year.

JMM28 likes this

9 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I can accept getting walloped tonight if the kids actually play.  Against Dartmouth Ford went back to his old ways and really shortened the bench.  Fifth year players got 69% of the minutes in that game.  LHJ got half of the minutes that didn't go to the fifth year players.  Can it really be claimed that we are taking our bumps by playing the kids when 84% of the minutes of the minutes available against Dartmouth are going to either fifth year players or a guy that averaged 10 mpg in conference play last season?  The underclassmen that have little or no D1 experience in the Dartmouth game only got 4% more of the minutes available against Dartmouth than what Parker and Hughes averaged in conference play last season.  Saturday night against Dartmouth wasn't a team struggling because it was playing a bunch of kids adjusting to the college game.  It was a veteran team on the court that luckily eked out a win at home against by far the worst team in the Ivy League. 

Thames had 4 fouls in 11 minutes.  Hughes was a disaster, shooting 1-7 in 31 minutes.  Those are our two best underclassmen.  It just wasn't meant to be that night.  Hopefully they'll be better tonight. 

For the other freshmen to get on the floor, Thames and Hughes have to be consistent scorers.  Otherwise we'll just score 65 points while our freshmen experience losing game after game.