GDT: SLU v. Illinois St.

SluSignGuy

5 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Same problem. Drink,  it lowers it. And a Travis Ford team will make you an alky. 

Last FG was at 12:55. Outscored 24-9 to end it, all 9 from the stripe. Add in 9 turnovers and the collapse was nearly deadly.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, slu72 said:

So many of our games end like this or worse, we lose. WTF is Ford telling these guys; relax it’s in the bag? 

No, he panics and the team loses focus

Dr. Holly Hills likes this

Just now, Dr. Holly Hills said:

For real!  He was calm most of the game until it started going south and started his wondering around and puffing his chest routine.  All the players can sense that.

I noticed Chris Harriman was pretty positive on the bench when things were going south. Trying to get em going. I don't know what that was but I'm tired of it happening.

I thought Bruce should’ve gotten more clock in the second half. Fords hands were tied a bit with meadows out and Hughes Parker and Thames in fouls foul trouble. That said same crap  every year under Ford and I’m over it. 

also medley is a black hole on offense. He’s incredibly small and not fast enough to beat his man off the dribble. Just doesn’t do it for me. 

Bizziken likes this

1 minute ago, Westy03 said:

I thought Bruce should’ve gotten more clock in the second half. Fords hands were tied a bit with meadows out and Hughes Parker and Thames in fouls foul trouble. That said same every year under Ford and I’m over it. 

also medley is a black hole on offense. He’s incredibly small and not fast enough to beat his man off the dribble. Just doesn’t do it for me. 

Possibly not in game shape form the injury?

19 minutes ago, Westy03 said:

I thought Bruce should’ve gotten more clock in the second half. Fords hands were tied a bit with meadows out and Hughes Parker and Thames in fouls foul trouble. That said same crap  every year under Ford and I’m over it. 

Agree about Bruce. Committed a bad turn over and was immediately yanked. TJ looked very tired at the end and needed a break. 

Now folks, despite all of the negatives in this game, there was an extraordinary event picked up by the camera in full detail. When the S IL team was in the process of rolling our lead down, this guard came dribbling rapidly to the board to shoot. He encountered TJ holding his ground firmly in defense. Their guard lowered his head and hit Hargrove smack in his mid drift and then he BOUNCED BACK FALLING DOWN AND LOSING THE BALL. Extraordinary scene, reminded me of Conklin standing firm and the other guy bouncing back and falling down. Wow! A most memorable scene. Hargrove is solid, the guy went down like he had hit a brick wall!

BJK and Crewsorlose like this

Yet another fun 25 minutes of Billiken basketball, followed by a maddening final 15. What do we attribute this to, over the years???

Parker is a gifted scorer. But he’s below-average at every other aspect of the game. When he gets the ball, he literally puts his head down and is determined to shoot (even if it’s a terrible shot). The stupid fouls (technicals/flagrants) are not a good sign.

Saw encouraging things from Bruuuuuuuuuce. Looked winded fairly quickly, so maybe there WAS a knee issue, preventing him from getting his conditioning up. Still, looking forward to his development.

This team is stealing the rock at a much higher rate than last year’s squad. Just need an inside presence on D (TJ did an admirable job, despite being undersized).

3-point defense continues to be an issue. A good shooting team is going to expose that.

Success at the free throw line (particularly Gibson) won us the game tonight. Team free throws hadn’t looked good, the first few games. Hope this is the start of a positive trend.

I’m not worried about Cian, like some are. Yes, he’s undersized, but we have experience with that here. He takes care of the ball and is a tenacious defender. His game will evolve, with time.

Yes, we should’ve won by 15, but we DID beat the spread. 

billiken_roy likes this