SLU v. Lincoln GDT

SluSignGuy

16 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-what is your basis for this take?

My wild speculation from a post yesterday may answer this question from my perspective.  Let's say Chaifetz is the big donor footing the bill for Ford.  Ford isn't performing up to what some of us want for the program but now we're locked in with this big buyout.  So we're stuck until some one with deep pockets pays the buy out. So in that way he maybe responsible for the stagnation. 

I'm not saying the above us true it's all speculation but it could be.  Also this type of thing happens all across the country see Jimbo at aTm they're stuck with a $76.5mil buyout. 

Overall Dr. Chaifetz involvement put SLU in a better place where we can win. I just don't think Ford is the guy anymore.  Reasonable or unreasonable people may disagree.

Billiken Rich likes this

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Billikenbooster said:

Those new band unis are sick!!! They could sell a whole sh!tload of them if they wanted to.

12 hours ago, thunderdan said:

Totally agree. Love the hockey jersey-look.

52 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-band unis are great

-LH2 asked to come out of the game and he had extended conversations with Jonathan Burch, I was worried when the dr went down the tunnel to join them but really, really hope he is okay 

-I hope ft's are not a problem with this team

-keep the to's low 

-remember last night we played a D2 team, the quality of opponent improves on Saturday

Glad to hear that the consensus seems to be a net positive on the new look.  We're getting used to them, as they're a complete 180 from what the Band has been used to.

Personally, sans the classic rugby, this is my favorite uni we've had over my 20+ years BY FAR!  I did take a moment right before we started last night to just look over our area as a whole, and I believe I muttered to myself, "Damn we look good!".  I know Grant has been receiving positive feedback as well, so he is quite appreciative of the props being given.

Additionally, we may have something in the works coming down the line to help the band out directly.  It's still being worked on, but it will be in the same lane as @Billikenbooster hinted at.  Once we know more, we'll post it here for everyone.

BuiltFordBills likes this

4 minutes ago, SLUAvtr said:

Additionally, we may have something in the works coming down the line to help the band out directly.  It's still being worked on, but it will be in the same lane as @Billikenbooster hinted at.  Once we know more, we'll post it here for everyone.

Do I know about this? And I 2nd getting used to the jerseys. I love the rugbys best, as well. I'm glad that people like them, though. I know Grant mentioned that several times last night.

1 hour ago, willie said:

Does anyone know is his injury related to his doing the splits on Monday?

I’ll say that having just recovered from 2 months of dealing with a groin strain, my guess is no. When he went down on Monday, he was holding the upper and inside area of the thigh aka the groin area. He looked completely fine at the start of last night’s game.

After the game they said he had tweaked his knee which could be any number of things including mild patellar tendonitis or mild inflammation of one the hamstring tendons. Word was he was kept out of the game as a precaution.

Probably a couple of days of icing and stretching and he’ll be good to go.

46 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

That was a confusing sequence. Dalger missed the first FT. Then some chatting amongst themselves by the refs. Then Jimerson made one, and then Dalger made one. So the first miss by Dalger didn't even count?

13 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

That was a confusing sequence. Dalger missed the first FT. Then some chatting amongst themselves by the refs. Then Jimerson made one, and then Dalger made one. So the first miss by Dalger didn't even count?

I stand corrected. I just looked at the game play-by-play. Dalger shot and made one free throw because he WAS fouled, not just thought he was fouled. He then missed the second. I can't remember if it was a shooting foul or a one and one. I THINK it was a one and one.

But I think the refs got the free throw order wrong. It still doesn't explain why they split the Tech free throws. I can't explain it either, but I'm not the one getting paid I guess a 1000 bucks or more to get it right.

33 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

I recall it going like this:

1. Dalger draws a shooting foul / misses the shot so he gets 2 FTs

2. Dalger misses 1st regular FT

3a. Lincoln coach is called for a technical. 

3b. Refs clear players off the FT line except for Dalger

3c. Jimerson subs into the game (fairly certain he wasn't in the game when the original foul occurred,  but was at the scorer's table to check in when the ref called the T & would have come in after the 1st FT)

4. Dalger makes 2nd FT assuming it was his 2nd regular FT, but later refs said it was the 1st technical FT.  My guess here is that SLU / Dalger assumed that Dalger would shoot his 2 regular FTs, someone would shoot 2 technical FTs & SLU would get the ball back afterwards.  I'm not sure what the actual rules are about a technical being called while FTs are being taken & who gets the ball afterwards.  My assumption based on how it played out is that play stops, the 2 technical FTs are taken, and then play resumes so Dalger would go back to the line to take his 2nd regular FT which is kind of what happened.

5. Jimerson goes to shoot what he assumes will be 2 technical FTs.  I think SLU / Ford / Jimerson were trying to be coy about the fact that he may / may not have been on the court & eligible to shoot the technical FTs.  No idea on the actual rules here.

6. Jimerson makes 1st FT.

7. Refs are totally confused about what to do / realize they screwed up by letting Dalger take 1st technical FT & Jimerson 2nd technical FT.

8. Refs make Dalger go back to the line to shoot his 2nd regular FT.

17 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I recall it going like this:

1. Dalger draws a shooting foul / misses the shot so he gets 2 FTs

2. Dalger misses 1st regular FT

3a. Lincoln coach is called for a technical. 

3b. Refs clear players off the FT line except for Dalger

3c. Jimerson subs into the game (fairly certain he wasn't in the game when the original foul occurred,  but was at the scorer's table to check in when the ref called the T & would have come in after the 1st FT)

4. Dalger makes 2nd FT assuming it was his 2nd regular FT, but later refs said it was the 1st technical FT.  My guess here is that SLU / Dalger assumed that Dalger would shoot his 2 regular FTs, someone would shoot 2 technical FTs & SLU would get the ball back afterwards.  I'm not sure what the actual rules are about a technical being called while FTs are being taken & who gets the ball afterwards.  My assumption based on how it played out is that play stops, the 2 technical FTs are taken, and then play resumes so Dalger would go back to the line to take his 2nd regular FT which is kind of what happened.

5. Jimerson goes to shoot what he assumes will be 2 technical FTs.  I think SLU / Ford / Jimerson were trying to be coy about the fact that he may / may not have been on the court & eligible to shoot the technical FTs.  No idea on the actual rules here.

6. Jimerson makes 1st FT.

7. Refs are totally confused about what to do / realize they screwed up by letting Dalger take 1st technical FT & Jimerson 2nd technical FT.

8. Refs make Dalger go back to the line to shoot his 2nd regular FT.

You're assessment makes sense. That may be exactly how it played out.

The play-by-play shows that Jimerson entered the game AFTER the bench technical was called. However, I'm not sure a player has to be on the floor at the time of the technical foul to be eligible to shoot it.

HOLD UP.  The pbp shows that Dalger MADE the first throw and then missed the second. THEN Jimerson made one, then they let Dalger shoot another which he made. Actually, that's how I remember it. SLU made 3 of the 4.

5 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

My wild speculation from a post yesterday may answer this question from my perspective.  Let's say Chaifetz is the big donor footing the bill for Ford.  Ford isn't performing up to what some of us want for the program but now we're locked in with this big buyout.  So we're stuck until some one with deep pockets pays the buy out. So in that way he maybe responsible for the stagnation. 

I'm not saying the above us true it's all speculation but it could be.  Also this type of thing happens all across the country see Jimbo at aTm they're stuck with a $76.5mil buyout. 

Overall Dr. Chaifetz involvement put SLU in a better place where we can win. I just don't think Ford is the guy anymore.  Reasonable or unreasonable people may disagree.

I can understand why people like Ford. The recruiting has been pretty good still.

I don't think he can coach or teach much, especially on defense, so personally I'm through with him.

Biggest problem: who to hire? It's speculative anyway; unless this season is a catastrophe he will be back. SLU loves mediocrity, and Travis Ford brings that to the table in droves.

44 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

You're assessment makes sense. That may be exactly how it played out.

The play-by-play shows that Jimerson entered the game AFTER the bench technical was called. However, I'm not sure a player has to be on the floor at the time of the technical foul to be eligible to shoot it.

HOLD UP.  The pbp shows that Dalger MADE the first throw and then missed the second. THEN Jimerson made one, then they let Dalger shoot another which he made. Actually, that's how I remember it. SLU made 3 of the 4.

I think as long as he is at the scorers table at the time of the technical he is eligible but you can’t send I guy off the bench to shoot them. But I have no idea why I believe that is the case. 

40 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I think as long as he is at the scorers table at the time of the technical he is eligible but you can’t send I guy off the bench to shoot them. But I have no idea why I believe that is the case. 

NCAA Men's R8-S3-A4: Technical fouls—The free throws awarded because of any technical foul may be attempted by any player or eligible team member on the offended team, who shall be designated by the head coach or captain of the offended team. However, the same player shall shoot both free throws.

dlarry likes this

On 11/8/2023 at 1:34 PM, willie said:

I think their job is pretty hard. Take this week . Soccer on Sunday-Basketball on Monday-Wednesday -Thursday and Saturday. Soccer again on Friday and I have no idea on the other sports. I wouldn't guess the staff working the games can't get out of there before 10 or 11. My guess is that for the most part they are not overpaid. It's pretty easy to be critical of other peoples mistakes but to say they don't care is presumptious. 

Sorry, but all of us have to work hard.  That's what having a job is, or should be.  I wouldn't normally criticize anyone's work ethic, but this department consistently makes mistakes, small and big.  When you see that, you call an apple an apple.  If it were one or two small mistakes every six months, that's one thing, but this is not what is happening.  It's a pattern.  So, yes, I will stand by my statement that some folks in the Athletic Department don't seem to care enough about doing their jobs well.