Tatum & Beal

16 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Delay what?  A coach you'd be ready to show the door to now instead of last year?

Correct, at the very least . Tatum could have been enough to buy crews a few years, dunno, but at the very least yes one extra year 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

I like the idea of SLU being where best St Louis area hoopers work out.  I like the idea of being one of the hubs of the local basketball community.  You never know who's watching.

I like the idea of SLU being the place where the best St. Louis hoopers play at rather than workout after they play someplace else.

If any other program in our conference did this I think we'd laugh at them. 

1 hour ago, majerus mojo said:

A grad asst. sharing a video of two STL born and bred NBA superstars hooping at the Simon Rec, alongside a third STL born and bred NBA player, who did go to SLU, is objectively cool.

I’m not even sure how this qualifies as the university/program promoting anything (which SLU absolutely should do, because again, Beal and Tatum are both objectively awesome, and them being awesome on our campus is cool), but writing a 1000 word post claiming the opposite is certifiably insane 😂

Do you think this is how we get the next Beal or Tatum? By having local guys with zero connection to our school work out at SLU? It may be "cool" but thats the problem.

Say we are recruiting the next 4 or 5 star out of St. Louis. He's impressed that Beal plays on our campus when he's in town. What do you think an SEC coach is going to counter that with? Beal played for an SEC school. Didn't give SLU a second thought. 

We are actively recruiting local players against SEC schools right now. Their coaches are lapping this up. "Hey kid you can always practice at SLU, but you play games in the SEC."

Is a big time school fawning over some player that didn't go there? No because they have their own NBA player alumni to tout. SLU act like you've been there. This isn't a move that a top 50 program makes.

30 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Do you think this is how we get the next Beal or Tatum? By having local guys with zero connection to our school work out at SLU? It may be "cool" but thats the problem.

Say we are recruiting the next 4 or 5 star out of St. Louis. He's impressed that Beal plays on our campus when he's in town. What do you think an SEC coach is going to counter that with? Beal played for an SEC school. Didn't give SLU a second thought. 

We are actively recruiting local players against SEC schools right now. Their coaches are lapping this up. "Hey kid you can always practice at SLU, but you play games in the SEC."

Is a big time school fawning over some player that didn't go there? No because they have their own NBA player alumni to tout. SLU act like you've been there. This isn't a move that a top 50 program makes.

Yeah that's why I told Rusty Wallace to go f himself when he showed up at my local mechanic.  The nerve of that guy!

AGB91 and thatskablamo like this

8 hours ago, thetorch said:

I like the idea of SLU being the place where the best St. Louis hoopers play at rather than workout after they play someplace else.

If any other program in our conference did this I think we'd laugh at them. 

NBA players workout at colleges they didn't attend all the time...

13 hours ago, thetorch said:

This isn't about caring about whther Tatum came here or not.  It is about a university and a program promoting their program using players that never played here.  Its weak.  This is far from the first time Ford's staff has done something like this with Beal and Tatum.

The University or Program isn't promoting Tatum or Beal. A grad assistant (who is his own person) posted a video of two All-NBA guys practicing at his workplace. This is peak off-season controversy.

TheChosenOne and RUBillsFan like this

8 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

Yeah that's why I told Rusty Wallace to go f himself when he showed up at my local mechanic.  The nerve of that guy!

Look up strawman in the dictionary Rich.

33 minutes ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

NBA players workout at colleges they didn't attend all the time...

Really, name some.  Then name some of those university coaching staff who tweet about it.

I'll hang up and listen.

You work/attend SLU you tweet about something you have access to because of that work/ attendance. It should put SLU in the best light.  To not hi-lite the SLU player is a mistake that makes SLU look bush league.

No issue with these guys working out at at SLU that's great for our guys when they interact with them. That's what should be the focus the benefit to our guys.

It's just a little thing for sure but doing all the little things right adds up to an effective organization. 

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

Really, name some.  Then name some of those university coaching staff who tweet about it.

I'll hang up and listen.

https://247sports.com/college/miami/article/nba-players-flocking-to-university-of-miami-to-work-out-39623837/

Players quoted in the article stating how it's beneficial to have NBA players around. The coaching staff was supportive and Larranga is mentioned as well. And look at this quote "Although there are only two former Hurricanes currently in the NBA—James Jones (Cleveland) and Shane Larkin (Brooklyn)—there is a strong NBA presence within the program." Seems similar to what we're talking about at SLU; two guys in the NBA at the time (role players) and yet they still saw the value of having non-alum players come there to workout. Is Miami small-time? 

https://www.dailynews.com/2022/09/09/jaime-jaquez-jr-paying-his-dues-at-ucla-pickup-games/

Open runs with non-alum NBA guys have been going on at UCLA for years. UCLA players participate in them. STL obviously isn't LA, but I think it would undoubtedly be a good thing if SLU became a hub for local NBA players to get their work in with an opportunity for SLU players to join in. Beal and Tatum could be the start of that and there's no reason we should be discouraging them from coming here.

I didn't go digging for specific tweets from coaching staffs like you requested, but there are obvious examples out there of coaching staffs supporting non-alum pros practicing at their schools publicly.

JMM28 and pakapablo like this

I see no problem with it. You get two top 30 NBA guys on campus. They’re rich. Maybe you can go to them and say “hey we really need ____” and get some dollars out of them. They’re prospective donors too.

The players obviously love working out with them, because why wouldn’t they?

Realistically an average recruit doesn’t remember where the hell Tatum spent one year or where Beal spent one year. Nor do they probably care. 

NoCoBillsFan likes this

39 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Paolo Banchero and Tatum were at UMSLs gym the day after. May have been others as well but only saw Paolo's post. Is that better or worse?

Good, keep him and Chris Paul as far away from SLU campus as possible. Can’t afford having more trespassers 

I will cut out on this as I've been proven wrong and this is deemed not a big deal by SLU fans, only me.

Staff members have an opportunity to showcase OUR NBA player and chose to showcase the "hometown" guys.

If we want all these guys to work out on our campus because its cool for them to be here I'm sure Drew Hanlen would set up shop at SLU exclusively.  Let's make that happen and market it.  There were a fair amount of hanger ons at UMSL yesterday even though they were widely discouraged.

Goodwin being called a St. Louisian in the Post instead of a SLU Billiken a part of this as well.  We've tried multiple times to market the program as St. Louis' program and it never works.  We are a small private school in a large metro market where our alumni are dwarfed by local public schools.  Folding us into St. Louis at large, SLU just gets shoved aside.  We need to come up with a way to market ourselves in a more insular way, set SLU apart from its competitors in the market.

As long as they aren’t pulling resources away from the program somehow, there is no downside to this and to come up with an argument otherwise is comical.  As an ex SLU athlete, if any MLB player was on campus, regardless of if I was a recruit or player, I’d be ecstatic.  I wouldn’t care where they went to school, it’s not like you can change that fact.  You can be bitter they didn’t come here but them giving SLU exposure now is better than them not. 

the focus should have been on goodwin.   instead he was an afterthought and was in the background of the video.   shame on slu for allowing such.   i have no problem with tatum and beal being there and giving the players a little bolt of electricity but the public relations spotlight should have been 95% on goodwin and an afterthought on beal and tatum.   i am finding it hard to believe that torch and i are the only ones not seeing this.   are you guys billiken fans or not?

thetorch and TheA_Bomb like this

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

I will cut out on this as I've been proven wrong and this is deemed not a big deal by SLU fans, only me.

Staff members have an opportunity to showcase OUR NBA player and chose to showcase the "hometown" guys.

If we want all these guys to work out on our campus because its cool for them to be here I'm sure Drew Hanlen would set up shop at SLU exclusively.  Let's make that happen and market it.  There were a fair amount of hanger ons at UMSL yesterday even though they were widely discouraged.

Goodwin being called a St. Louisian in the Post instead of a SLU Billiken a part of this as well.  We've tried multiple times to market the program as St. Louis' program and it never works.  We are a small private school in a large metro market where our alumni are dwarfed by local public schools.  Folding us into St. Louis at large, SLU just gets shoved aside.  We need to come up with a way to market ourselves in a more insular way, set SLU apart from its competitors in the market.

It is Saint Louis not St.

I have the author of this thread on Ignore, so it took me some time to piece it together.  This thread wins Lame Thread of the Month.  There is absolutely nothing here to warrant a thread and I am embarrassed to even post a response (but I'm doing it anyway). 

If Larry Hughes brought his former teammate LeBron James to campus to shoot some hoops, and Larry and Jr are photographed in the background, that would be a bad thing, right? 

Geez.  Some posters and their agendas............

How many decommits did we get since the video was posted?  Any big boosters pull back their donations?

SLUMedBilliken15 and AGB91 like this

4 hours ago, JMM28 said:

You get two top 30 NBA guys on campus. They’re rich. Maybe you can go to them and say “hey we really need ____” and get some dollars out of them. They’re prospective donors too.

Do folks often give money to private Universities that they have no affiliation with? While I largely disagree with the initial post (I think highlighting Jordan Goodwin is the only thing I agree with), I disagree even more with folks thinking Beal or Tatum working out with their trainer at Simon Rec one time on a random Thursday night is somehow going to help with recruiting or raising money. I assume neither spend a whole lot of time in STL at this point as I think those guys are typically working out with Drew out in LA. It’s all nothing. Just like Jordan being on campus to watch his sons and shoot around in the rec a few summers back when I was in college while cool had no impact on the program. I forgot to ask him to give money to the program though, so that’s on me and a missed opportunity. I do love the thought of a random athletic department minion going up to Beal and asking him if he would be interested in contributing to the program.