GDT: La Salle; Why didn’t Han Solo enjoy his steak dinner?

SluSignGuy

34 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

And I don’t think anyone expected the shooting regression from Gibson to date and the drop of play until recently from Okoro. 

There are things to hold Ford accountable for but Gibson shooting much worse from 3 isn’t one of them. Nor is Okoro’s inability to consistently make a 3 foot shot. Both these are things the players had been good at. Individuals at this level have to be accountable for their own performance 

i read this above post moments ago and i thought, "man i need to see how bad gibson jimerson's shooting has fallen off.   it must really be bad considering skip pretty much is blaming him and okoro for the billikens under performance.

i checked and low and behold he has the highest shooting percentage on the team in free throws, 3 point shooting and overall field goal percentage.   sounds to me skip should look to other players to point fingers at for poor shooting not just jimerson.

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, Schasz said:

I see Oklahoma lost big time last night at TCU yesterday. They are 11-9 and 2-6 in league play. Porter Moser is someone I know many Billiken fans would accept as HC at SLU in a heartbeat. He won't last long as OU HC if the Sooners continue to stumble. 

count me out on moser.   he will be overpriced considering his only claim to fame is about a 2 year run at loyola.   he hasnt really been successful beyond that.   i recall the few games he subbed for rickma back in the day, his coaching moves would make you consider travis ford the next coming of john wooden.  

Billiken Rich likes this

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

count me out on moser.   he will be overpriced considering his only claim to fame is about a 2 year run at loyola.   he hasnt really been successful beyond that.   i recall the few games he subbed for rickma back in the day, his coaching moves would make you consider travis ford the next coming of john wooden.  

Roy...ever considering Ford the next coming of John Wooden would NEVER HAPPEN IMHO!

6 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i read this above post moments ago and i thought, "man i need to see how bad gibson jimerson's shooting has fallen off.   it must really be bad considering skip pretty much is blaming him and okoro for the billikens under performance.

i checked and low and behold he has the highest shooting percentage on the team in free throws, 3 point shooting and overall field goal percentage.   sounds to me skip should look to other players to point fingers at for poor shooting not just jimerson.

Roy

Last year GJ 3pt % was .42

This year .36.

I would call that a significant drop. Now his backdoor cuts have increased and his defense, though middling, has improved.

mhg

I would encourage everyone to go read some of the other A10 message boards. Pretty sure you can find a "fire the head coach" thread on almost all of them. Check out UD Pride and the comments on Coach Grant.

I will also point out that we have two pretty good examples of what the first year looks like at our level after making a change right here in our very own league. Arguably Frank Martin and Archie Miller both have better resumes than TF. Both have winning records in the NCAA tournament and Martin has a Final 4 and Archie an Elite 8. Both are really struggling this year in a down year for the league. Yes, there are success stories of first year coaches, but making a change has risks. And the season isn't over. Some of those first year coaching stories will change over the next 6 weeks. 

dlarry and Billiken Rich like this

28 minutes ago, Billikenbooster said:

Roy

This year .36.

I would call that a significant drop. Now his backdoor cuts have increased and his defense, though middling, has improved.

mhg

That's with shooting 48% after the UMass game. Not a coincidence we haven't lost since then - it has skyrocketed the last few games.

He shot 22% from Iona through UMass. This period in the season ruined our at-large chances. Like I said, it is not a coincidence.

slufanskip likes this

Out of curiosity, who else on this board sits in section 103? My wife and I have season tickets in section 103 on the aisle closest to mid court the number of rows up that would be row M. Anyways, I saw a great Billiken fan who is at every game sitting in front of me and few seats down reading this site during the game and was curious which poster it is. I was with a friend and figured talking billikens.com and screen names might be a little weird haha.

Fun game on Saturday, lets keep this thing rolling.

Just now, Littlebill said:

That's with shooting 48% after the UMass game. Not a coincidence we haven't lost since then - it has skyrocketed the last few games.

He shot 22% from Iona through UMass. This period in the season ruined our at-large chances. Like I said, it is not a coincidence.

-yep

15 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

You certainly read what you wanted to hear. I simply pointed out that their are other factors than just the coach that has cost us games. At no point did I solely blame those 2 for our under performance. I just pointed out the fact that neither of the 2 have performed to the levels that were expected coming into the season. However, I understand that saying there are any reasons beyond Ford bein a crappy coach triggers some. 

I chose Jimerson and Okoro as they were both expected to be major components of our team this year. Are you saying you expected Jimerson to shoot 36% from 3? 

1 minute ago, Littlebill said:

Quit with the facts. Please just quit

46 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i read this above post moments ago and i thought, "man i need to see how bad gibson jimerson's shooting has fallen off. 

37 minutes ago, Billikenbooster said:

Roy

This year .36.

mhg

My favorite book in college was 'How to Lie with Statistics".  The Jimerson discussion depends entirely on your frame of reference.  For example, Mr. Jimerson is shooting 36.8% from the arc for the season.  This same Mr. Jimerson is shooting 40.0% from the arc in A10 conference play. Doesn't that indicate he is improving this season?   Pick your reference, and you can make any point you want to.   

billiken_roy and willie like this

1 minute ago, TheChosenOne said:

Out of curiosity, who else on this board sits in section 103? My wife and I have season tickets in section 103 on the aisle closest to mid court the number of rows up that would be row M. Anyways, I saw a great Billiken fan who is at every game sitting in front of me and few seats down reading this site during the game and was curious which poster it is. I was with a friend and figured talking billikens.com and screen names might be a little weird haha.

Fun game on Saturday, lets keep this thing rolling.

Not in 103 but I ran into a fellow MBM at a boat ramp in Valley Park while wearing a Billiken hat.   We talked long enough to PO the guy trying to get his boat in the water after us.......I do try not to be a ramp hog....

7 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

That tough stretch is when I decided I wouldn't miss GJ if he left after this season.  He promptly turned it around making an idiot out of me.  I hope he doesn't disappear again.....

6 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Not in 103 but I ran into a fellow MBM at a boat ramp in Valley Park while wearing a Billiken hat.   We talked long enough to PO the guy trying to get his boat in the water after us.......I do try not to be a ramp hog....

Love it, Steve has built a solid community of Billiken fans. It is funny that we interact thru screen names, so don't actually know each other despite considerable interaction. I guess I am a middle aged man describing the Internet!

7 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Yep that was me😊

1 minute ago, TheChosenOne said:

Love it, Steve has built a solid community of Billiken fans. It is funny that we interact thru screen names, so don't actually know each other despite considerable interaction. I guess I am a middle aged man describing the Internet!

I walked up to 05 at a game a few years back and said "I'm Billiken Rich."  It took him a second to figure out: "from Billikens.com."   As I reflect back I should've added that to start with.

billikenfan05 likes this

8 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

My favorite book in college was 'How to Lie with Statistics".  The Jimerson discussion depends entirely on your frame of reference.  For example, Mr. Jimerson is shooting 36.8% from the arc for the season.  This same Mr. Jimerson is shooting 40.0% from the arc in A10 conference play. Doesn't that indicate he is improving this season?   Pick your reference, and you can make any point you want to.   

Thanks for making my point. Jimerson’s shooting is improving and so are the Bills. Since you chose to pick out conference stats, we are 6-1 in conference right? In the one loss Jim was 2-12 from the field and 2-8 from 3. 

Why is getting on Yuri ok on this board but criticizing Gibson is taboo? 

5 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Thanks for making my point. Jimerson’s shooting is improving and so are the Bills. Since you chose to pick out conference stats, we are 6-1 in conference right? In the one loss Jim was 2-12 from the field and 2-8 from 3. 

Same reason Ryan Luechtefeld was always star of the game back in the day......

Just kidding and I don't think that is the case.  It's easy to blame Yuri since he's arguably the best ever and he's the one left holding the bag with 2 on the shot clock.  It's also easy for Gibson to get lost in the sea of streaky and sometimes awful three point shooters on this team....

7 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Not to get on Jimerson as I think he is one of our most important players but I also think his minutes should be trimmed. Last game he played 38 minutes. We ***** about the minutes TJ and Parker get. Well this is where I  would find  some of those minutes. While I am at it I would give Hughes a few of Yuri's . 

slufanskip likes this

1 minute ago, willie said:

Not to get on Jimerson as I think he is one of our most important players but I also think his minutes should be trimmed. Last game he played 38 minutes. We ***** about the minutes TJ and Parker get. Well this is where I  would find  some of those minutes. While I am at it I would give Hughes a few of Yuri's . 

-I'm on board with all of this, with what our roster has shown no player should play 40min in a regulation game imo

1 hour ago, Schasz said:

Roy...ever considering Ford the next coming of John Wooden would NEVER HAPPEN IMHO!

i know but that is how little i respect moser as a game coach.

1 hour ago, Billikenbooster said:

Roy

This year .36.

mhg

but still he's the best we got.   so to unfairly drop all the blame on him and okoro and let the rest of the team (and coach) out of the solution is flat out wrong.    i know he has struggled the last month, but even then, he is the best we got.   no sense in giving him all the blame. 

39 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

You certainly read what you wanted to hear. I simply pointed out that their are other factors than just the coach that has cost us games. At no point did I solely blame those 2 for our under performance. I just pointed out the fact that neither of the 2 have performed to the levels that were expected coming into the season. However, I understand that saying there are any reasons beyond Ford bein a crappy coach triggers some. 

I chose Jimerson and Okoro as they were both expected to be major components of our team this year. Are you saying you expected Jimerson to shoot 36% from 3? 

as i explained to billikenbooster, there are about 14 other players on the billikens with worse shooting percentages this year.   sure i am disappointed in the last month.  but just maybe the coach could have drawn up better plays?   maybe yuri could have done more to get him a better shot occasionally?   maybe had some of the other players shot 36% there wouldnt be the intense focus on jimerson?   the point is skip, get the F off jimerson for what he has done.   blaming him for the mess is just as bad as you giving yuri all the credit.   they all have a hand in this disappointment.   

38 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Perhaps because Jimmer didn't look to move from Team Blue to Team Orange in the offseason?