GDT: La Salle; Why didn’t Han Solo enjoy his steak dinner?

SluSignGuy

Just now, dennis_w said:

sorry i thought you were talking about ford, yes hiring crews was head scratching

No, I was reassuring a poster that as long as we don't hire a coach with a horrific previous record like what Crews had, we shouldn't see a major setback.

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, wgstl said:

1) this team regressed in almost every way from last year.  He didn't have some sort of weird expectation. 

2) Rick was a hall of fame coach, you can have those type of years.. Ford is doing what Ford has always done. 

i am not trying to say ford is rickma, but ford has been having winning seasons and has to overcome some adversity, as did rickma in 2010.  it was an unusual circumstance to get majerus here and not likely to happen again

23 minutes ago, wgstl said:

1) this team regressed in almost every way from last year.  He didn't have some sort of weird expectation. 

2) Rick was a hall of fame coach, you can have those type of years.. Ford is doing what Ford has always done. 

Question …how can you evaluate the SEASON when it’s far from being over???

7 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

I do think much of that expectation was getting Perkins at 90% in November, which wasn't near the case

And Parker, which also should have been dialed back.

I hate that we always play this game, much like last year... but here we go, with Perkins and parker playing like they are now, we prob beat auburn, Boise and SIUE... love playing this game every year. 

I'm a huge Rickma fan obviously, but his approach would never work in today's game. He decided to be patient and build with freshmen, having his core players in the program for four years. That approach would never work in today's era of free agency, coupled with the NIl Wild West. I don't think we'll see many coaches like RM again unfortunately. Fewer true coaches in college bball and more used car salesmen.

Just now, wgstl said:

And Parker, which also should have been dialed back.

I hate that we always play this game, much like last year... but here we go, with Perkins and parker playing like they are now, we prob beat auburn, Boise and SIUE... love playing this game every year. 

Unfortunately, we get plenty of practice...

wgstl likes this

2 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Question …how can you evaluate the SEASON when it’s far from being over???

Math, its pretty easy.  Its easy to compare numbers of what players did last year up until now.  No one is projecting the rest of the year, the damage was done as far as getting to 30 wins already. 

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

When Ford was on the warm seat prior to a loss to UMASS... uh ya

No one wants to live through that, wouldn't even wish that upon ISIS. Pretty easy fix here, don't hire a coach with a .296 coaching % prior and you wont have it, or at least likely it wont happen.. I'm sorta getting tired of the "almost" every year. 

Key word= likely. There's certainly a possibility we go to the cellar of the A10 for the first few years if a move is made. I don't know the numbers but it feels like attendance has been up this year. Feels like there's some momentum with the local guys and fan support. Obviously not to the level we all hope but I think it's getting better. Rome wasn't built in a day. You make a change and struggle again... You lose all that and you are back to square one.

I'm also tired of the almost. But we are slu basketball. It's tough out here for even good mid majors to break through and be great. And it might be getting harder with all this extracurricular NIL stuff. Loyola was the talk of the town. They are now one of the worst teams in the A10. Consistent results in high level sports is incredibly difficult.

It's all just a debate of would you rather risk it to get the biscuit. Maybe I'm risk averse but I would like to see what happens first. I do wish Travis would be better about how he carries himself on the bench though. But from all accounts his players like playing for him and he works his tail off.

Billiken Rich likes this

12 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

anyone thinking 30 wins was happening drank gallons of blue kool aid

That was exaggeration, as I believe we only play 31 games this year. Point was, getting a high amount of win totals sailed due to our OOC, so comparing what are players did in OOC+6 games to what they did last year isn't too far fetched to get a general idea on who progressed and who regressed. 

9 minutes ago, wgstl said:

That was exaggeration, as I believe we only play 31 games this year. Point was, getting a high amount of win totals sailed due to our OOC, so comparing what are players did in OOC+6 games to what they did last year isn't too far fetched to get a general idea on who progressed and who regressed. 

I was thinking with postseason added in to that. 25-26 Regular, 3 A10, and 1-2 NCAA.

4 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

you enjoy rebuilds where we would sink to the levels of lasalle and fordham?    ok.   seems quite strange.  

I'll say again, a 5 year or longer rebuild won't exist in the era of the NIL and the transfer portal.

6 hours ago, dlarry said:

I would be much more patient and understanding during a rebuild season than I am during an underachieving season.

Look, I get why people want to keep Ford around I get wanting to move on from Ford.

What I don’t get is thinking that either of these opinions are crazy or makes you less of a fan.

To not admit Ford has done good things is wrong.

To not think his seat should be getting warm is just as wrong. 

Agree 100%.  Ford is not going anywhere IMO thank the Lord!

He is in his 7th season.  He started with a horrible roster and no way to quick fix it (no transfer portal with immediate eligibilty).

He has a scandal, not his fault, that screws up two more seasons.

Then he has covid that maybe robbed him of an NCAA bid (no NCAA Tournament in 2020).  The next year the team goes 14-7 losing like 10 games from the schedule to covid.

Some on this Board forget these facts, or want to ignore them.  These situations screwed up the opportunity to dance in 4 of Ford's 6 completed seasons.  Yes, the team could dance in year 7, this year.

I am thrilled with Ford.  He has this program going 100% in the right direction.  It's only going to get better.  Let's not screw it up with another coaching change.

Luckily SLU ADMINISTRATION is making the coaching decision, not a bunch of clueless Billiken Board posters!!! 😉

56 minutes ago, BC1764 said:

I'll say again, a 5 year or longer rebuild won't exist in the era of the NIL and the transfer portal.

i think you are wrong at the A-10 level coupled with the likelihood we wont be spending fordlike money to "rebuild" with the new coach who i bet wont be a big name coach and we will be second tier NiL money.   i wish you were correct.   i just dont think it will play out that way.  for now i will keep ford.  

drkelsey55 likes this

15 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

i think you are wrong at the A-10 level coupled with the likelihood we wont be spending fordlike money to "rebuild" with the new coach who i bet wont be a big name coach and we will be second tier NiL money.   i wish you were correct.   i just dont think it will play out that way.  for now i will keep ford.  

What is your reasoning for thinking the spending level will be less? Just curious - you seem pretty adamant

20 hours ago, Littlebill said:

I do think much of that expectation was getting Perkins at 90% in November, which wasn't near the case

And I don’t think anyone expected the shooting regression from Gibson to date and the drop of play until recently from Okoro. 

There are things to hold Ford accountable for but Gibson shooting much worse from 3 isn’t one of them. Nor is Okoro’s inability to consistently make a 3 foot shot. Both these are things the players had been good at. Individuals at this level have to be accountable for their own performance 

29 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

And I don’t think anyone expected the shooting regression from Gibson to date and the drop of play until recently from Okoro. 

There are things to hold Ford accountable for but Gibson shooting much worse from 3 isn’t one of them. Nor is Okoro’s inability to consistently make a 3 foot shot. Both these are things the players had been good at. Individuals at this level have to be accountable for their own performance 

The Okoro point is huge. We went from having a top 3 big in the league to.... not. He has been really good these last few games... huge reason why I'm so optimistic about the rest of a10 play

slufanskip likes this