GDT: vs Tennessee State

1 minute ago, Old guy said:

I could not agree more with  the first entry in the list. The second point is also correct, the message is clear to other teams, neutralize Yuri means neutralizing our team.

From my point of view this is poor coaching.

Yeah, we get it. You're starting to sound like a broken record.

As far as pulling the bigs, I'm not happy with their play either. If the coach thinks he can get their attention by pulling them, I'm all for it. I know, you're concerned with hurt feelings. I'm not.

On the postgame show, Ford talked about how many damned layups we missed. And he didn't specifically call out the bigs. He DID say something to the effect that these guys are playing in the A10 and Division I basketball and that they shouldn't have confidence problems.

I'm sure you think that's too harsh an assessment. Coach should take em out for ice cream instead.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I could not agree more with  the first entry in the list. The second point is also correct, the message is clear to other teams, neutralize Yuri means neutralizing our team.

so if running the offense thru the best player is poor coaching, who would you have run the offense besides yuri? would you split it up amongst several? or would you let the best passer in the country do it most of the time? i wonder if opposing coaches thought it would be a good idea to neutralize mj  so the could beat the bulls?

CenHudDude likes this

Pulling the bigs after one mistake is simple…It’s not really one mistake. It’s the same mistakes over and over and over again.

Its also easy to pull them after a mistake against and inferior team like last night. 
If Okoro is playing great and misses and easy layup against Dayton Ford will not have that quick hook. 

He is using a bad team to get his point across.

Every coach from HS to the NBA does the same thing.

rgbilliken likes this

12 hours ago, Old guy said:

I was at the game, it was not a great game for us but we won by 17 pts, 1 pt below the Wiz's model estimate and 3 pts below the spread. I just looked at the box scores and had to think about them. Our scoring in all categories was better than theirs in all categories, we clearly outrebounded , and had a lot more assists than they did. It was a solid win and I am certain we could have made the additional 3 points and more if that had been the aim. What we did instead was to play Cisse, Hughes, and Thames towards the end of the game, which is fine. I think playing the freshmen is a good thing to do in games like this.

I want to emphasize that Yuri was not trying to show he is a scorer, which he is not. He did miss a lot of his field goal attempts. He did get one out of his 4 FG (25%) attempts and made both FTs he had. However, his 20 assists contributed a lot towards our win. Okoro played well and so did Jimerson, although Jimerson for some reason missed all his 3 pt attempts. 

A win is a win, this was a nice win, spread or not. Now, let's get ready for the Salukis.

(Don't feed the troll, don't feed the troll, put him on ignore, put him on ignore)........  Ah, to hell with it. I just wanted to say Old Guy sucks & Yuri is awesome!!!

Whew... I feel better now.

drkelsey55 likes this

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

Also any coach who allows 1 player to score significantly more than the next highest scorer is doing a poor job. A coach needs to even out individual contributions to make their team more difficult to stop. Sometimes a coach even needs to put a limit on all players shot attempts 

1 hour ago, Cowboy II said:

-I am not sure what is happening with pulling the bigs after one mistake, that does nothing but shake their confidence, causes them to play passively - what amount of this not playing up to standard is on the coach/coaches? are they coaching in a way the guys can understand? seems like this is a not as it continues and it needs some evaluation

I think this board makes way to big of a deal about guys getting subbed out.  Ford has discussed publicly and been very consistent about pulling our bigs if they get a foul early in the 1st half.  Both Okoro and Forrester got fouls early on.  This is why each were pulled and why Momo get time.  It was not because Ford was yanking them from the game for a mistake.  It's very simple - get a quick foul and you sit so that we don't have to worry about you getting your second foul and being out most of the first half.

1 hour ago, Slowry said:

I thought they could have called a moving screen on most offensive possessions against TSU.  Number 10 was constantly moving.    I thought they pushed us around quite a bit.   Seemed like we got a little tougher in the second half.  

I thought that, especially in the first half, every one of TSU's screens were illegal.  They were walking through them and sometimes extending their legs out.

4 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I thought that, especially in the first half, that every one of TSU's screens were illegal.  They were walking through them and sometimes extending their legs out.

Our screens have traditionally sucked since Rick Majerus died.  We don't use them properly.  Lastly, we could've been fouled out by our dancing screen-work last night too.

Bizziken likes this

37 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I think this board makes way to big of a deal about guys getting subbed out.  Ford has discussed publicly and been very consistent about pulling our bigs if they get a foul early in the 1st half.  Both Okoro and Forrester got fouls early on.  This is why each were pulled and why Momo get time.  It was not because Ford was yanking them from the game for a mistake.  It's very simple - get a quick foul and you sit so that we don't have to worry about you getting your second foul and being out most of the first half.

True about the early foul thing with the bigs but Ford was giving Franco the business about his poor D as well. He repeats the same mistake of not making the switch on the pick and roll. He hesitates to decide which player to cover the same way he hesitates to shoot from point blank range at the rim. He plays like he’s unsure of himself, which is another way of saying he lacks confidence. Rammer thinks the same thing as that’s why the subject of lacking confidence came up.

A 6’9 athlete in top physical condition lacking confidence on a basketball court does not make sense. Some 6’9 guys seem to not realize how many of us wish we were 6’9 as we’d be slamming everything in sight. Franco needs to stop thinking so much and just play the game.

12 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

True about the early foul thing with the bigs but Ford was giving Franco the business about his poor D as well. He repeats the same mistake of not making the switch on the pick and roll. He hesitates to decide which player to cover the same way he hesitates to shoot from point blank range at the rim. He plays like he’s unsure of himself, which is another way of saying he lacks confidence. Rammer thinks the same thing as that’s why the subject of lacking confidence came up.

A 6’9 athlete in top physical condition lacking confidence on a basketball court does not make sense. Some 6’9 guys seem to not realize how many of us wish we were 6’9 as we’d be slamming everything in sight. Franco needs to stop thinking so much and just play the game.

Early on he was not good - he didn't have a rebound in the first half.  The second half he seem to realize that unless he played hard he would sit.  Ford has always said to play any player is going to have to play D.

20 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

I think this is more about being a slow starter. 

Last year he started slow too, 6 points 7 rebounds through first 7 games at a 35% clip.

3star_recruit likes this

59 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

A face in the good seats last night, shown at least twice on the Bally Sports Midwest telecast:  former Cardinals Closer Trevor Rosenthal.

The bane of my existence as a Cardinal fan with the blown saves, but retrospect he was a dominant closer for a while.