GDT: St. Joe's

Bills By 40

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some casual observations from da' couch ------

It was a game much like the La Salle games --- I expected to win and didn't break a viewing sweat.  St. Joe's was St. Joes --- they have been in almost every game until the fourth quarter when their weak bench means tired players on the floor at the end.  They played very little defense especially late.  Totally surprised to see Janson out there at all and even Forrest got more time than usual. Lange tried.

As for us .... I'm still unsure again (another season) just what our offense is designed to do.  Collins dribbles and dribbles and dribbles and dribbles.  Eventually, he passes it to Okoro or Linssen for the attempted layup.  Jimerson runs his ass off --- through screens, around screens, whatever.  He must not be very fast overall because every defender seems to stay with  him, with very few holding fouls.  Thatch has no plays called for him and neither does Nesbitt or Hargrove.  Thatch gets his points because he's savvy enough to get to the rim.  In contrast, Nesbitt is too busy going through NBA gyrations to get a shot off when I believe if he's just collect himself and jump shoot, he'd sky above anyone covering him.  I knew Hargrove would launch his ill-advised three --- it's pretty much what he does.  He did get three rebounds but that is below his nearly five rpg.  I really can't believe a stiff like Obinna scored 12 --- because again we can't seem to defense the simple pick-n-roll.  I think we need to understand that when the smallish guard goes around the center, the off the ball defender needs to hedge over to the rolling big man side.   A lot of times that was DeAndre and he's really not going to be of much help short of fouling.  Why is defending that so tough for us?  It felt like a prize fight between Leon Spinks and Rocky Balboa and it was okay to watch because we won.

Nice to see balanced scoring.  Okoro with 15.  Collins 17.  Jimerson 14 and Thatch 10.  

Around the A10 tonight we got no help.  The Bonnies crushed Rhode Island 73 to 55 and Richmond beat back Geedubya 84 to 71.  The Spider win makes Friday's rematch huge.  Richmond can tie us for fifth with a win but as it stands now, we would have the tie break having beaten the higher ranked team of Dayton.  Richmond's best win is the Bonnies.  Plus after us, Richmond hosts Dayton and goes to Olean.  

As usal, the stretch run inf February/March in the A10 is brutal.  

They got the job done and now have secured another winning conference season.

The team has some issues going into the last 3 games.  Hargrove is little offensive help and does not handle the ball real well.  Free throw shooting is off.  Nesbitt is inconsistent.  Jimerson is struggling with his shot.

The team is shaky right now going into Richmond.  Can the coach finally get these guys ready to play good team in their home?