GDT: @LaSalle

Bills By 40

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

i had not given the ball used a second thought until it was brought to our attention that each team has the ability to use whatever ball they want for their home games.   i was very surprised by this.  one would think the league would have an official ball that has to be used.   or maybe even the ncaa dictate for the entire D1.  i really think this is weird that it is so varied and i could see how it makes a difference.  good for the billikens to switch to the lasalle addias ball in practice since the dayton game.   at least they will have some sort of familiarity with that different ball.   for a shooter, i bet it indeed makes a difference.

This is a crazy news issue. Different balls have been in existence since the modern style of basketball was invented. I have never heard of a single person or player say that they struggled because of the basketball that was used. It gave Stu Durando 500 words of runway, that is all.

AGB91 likes this

16 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

This is a crazy news issue. Different balls have been in existence since the modern style of basketball was invented. I have never heard of a single person or player say that they struggled because of the basketball that was used. It gave Stu Durando 500 words of runway, that is all.

It is interesting, though. I know teams (as slu did this week and as reported) switch up balls in practice to prepare for what they’ll use in the game. Just a fun little nuance to the game, but I don’t think should be a worry. 

3 hours ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

I don’t see a big pay day for the ncaa to standardize one brand of ball to use.  Therefore they probably have no interest in doing so.   NCAA = the biggest, toothless dog on the block.

If you look at the money the NCAA takes in year after year, they are not toothless, they are just not interested in "low margin issues."

9 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

i had not given the ball used a second thought until it was brought to our attention that each team has the ability to use whatever ball they want for their home games.   i was very surprised by this.  one would think the league would have an official ball that has to be used.   or maybe even the ncaa dictate for the entire D1.  i really think this is weird that it is so varied and i could see how it makes a difference.  good for the billikens to switch to the lasalle addias ball in practice since the dayton game.   at least they will have some sort of familiarity with that different ball.   for a shooter, i bet it indeed makes a difference.

I never knew each home team chose the ball. Agree that you would think the conference would dictate the ball to be used. I could see where it could cause problem for shooters and ball handlers.