2021-2022 Season

2 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Adds up to me:  400 shots made = 100 + 200 + 100.

And 400 / 567 = 70.5%

I thought the 400 was meant to be total shots. But keep in mind, I’m really dumb. I’ll just see myself out. 😂🤣😂🤣😂

drkelsey55 likes this

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The one player I would most love to see break out this year is Hargrove.  Don't get me wrong, I would love to have several have break out seasons, but just based upon how good of a teammate he is and the fact that his upside is very high leans me toward TJ.

7 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Fun video of Team Blue at practice.  Okoro jawin' at Robey is kind of neat.  It looks that Thatch Jr has been hitting the weights.

I’m so excited to have Davell on the staff. I love how much ch everybody seems to be enjoying the workouts. The chemistry just looks incredible. TJ doing TJ things, which is always awesome.

40 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Fun video of Team Blue at practice.  Okoro jawin' at Robey is kind of neat.  It looks that Thatch Jr has been hitting the weights.

-thanks for posting this

-guys seem to be working hard, that's great, November 9 will be here before we know it, excited for it

52 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Just a side note:  Rammer on the Press Box said he hasn't been told by Learfield whether or not they will be traveling to away basketball games.  Apparenlty Learfied hasn't made a decision yet, per Rammer.

-thanks, I have been wondering about that, they have some time to make the decision but on-site is soooo much better

16 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-thanks, I have been wondering about that, they have some time to make the decision but on-site is soooo much better

How is Rammer supposed to let the refs know what’s what if he’s not on the sideline?

Ummm, I knew Okoro was a beast… but HOLY MOTHER is he JACKED! He’s got an 8-pack! He is gonna absolutely dominate the A10 this year.EDEE50C0-FA4F-417F-817A-2A65FFCCB120.thumb.png.3cc0a623a6a394fa0a6ebda5e0e3a710.png

On 7/13/2021 at 1:24 PM, cgeldmacher said:

The one player I would most love to see break out this year is Hargrove.  Don't get me wrong, I would love to have several have break out seasons, but just based upon how good of a teammate he is and the fact that his upside is very high leans me toward TJ.

Yuri, Nesbitt, Javonte, TJ, and Okoro as the starting five with TJ able to retain the outside shot he showed last season is something I would love to see.

With the depth of talent on this roster do you think there’s any way Travis goes to a Houston or FSU type rotation, ie 10 guys averaging close or above 15mpg? That would mean 2-3 guys getting 30 and 7-8 guys getting near 15. 

9 minutes ago, slu72 said:

With the depth of talent on this roster do you think there’s any way Travis goes to a Houston or FSU type rotation, ie 10 guys averaging close or above 15mpg? That would mean 2-3 guys getting 30 and 7-8 guys getting near 15. 

I could definitely see it with the number of different looks we could give teams on the wings. Yuri, JP, and Okoro are most likely gonna get more minutes than the rest. I could see an even rotation of Nesbitt, TJ, Fred, Jimerson, and maybe even Markhi along with Linssen backing up Okoro. 

1 hour ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

Yuri, Nesbitt, Javonte, TJ, and Okoro as the starting five with TJ able to retain the outside shot he showed last season is something I would love to see.

That is what I predict for the starting 5.  5 race horse athletes running teams off the court.

25 minutes ago, slu72 said:

i will be shocked if that happens.   Ford has always been a short rotation guy.   plus there is a division of talent.   i.e. he will want to have the best players playing the most minutes.   i am not saying i agree either way.  but typically the big rotation really is only beneficial if the talent is very very even across the board.   we have quality depth, however the top players are better basketball players from most angle looking at the total roster.   

24 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i will be shocked if that happens.   Ford has always been a short rotation guy.   plus there is a division of talent.   i.e. he will want to have the best players playing the most minutes.   i am not saying i agree either way.  but typically the big rotation really is only beneficial if the talent is very very even across the board.   we have quality depth, however the top players are better basketball players from most angle looking at the total roster.   

Perkins, Williams, Yuri, Fred, Nesbitt, Okoro, THJ, Linssen, Jimmerson(Not a huge difference in talent from 1 - 9 imo).  - And I think Strickland sees a small improvement in minutes from last year, which he ended up at 7.4. that makes 10 players. 

I only see Perkins and yuri getting over 27 mpg. 

52 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Agree.  I have gone back to OK State stats, and Coach almost never goes deeper than 10, (with those 10 having double digit minutes).  So why would it happen this year?  Every year us MBM's tout this season's team as 'the deepest ever', and at the end of the year Coach still uses what he is comfortable with---8 rotation players plus 2 touching double digit minutes.  

Last season with our 'deepest team ever' we had 9 with double digit minutes, and Bell with 8.8 mpg.  Bell played in 19 games, so for me he was part of the normal rotation.  Russell averaged 8.4 but only played in 8 games.  I wouldn't classify Russell as part of the normal rotation. 

French averaged "only" 24.9 mpg last season.  I would expect Okoro to match that.  I would expect Collins and Perkins to be 30+ mpg similar to last season.  The main load of minutes available would be Goodwin's 33.3 mpg.  Jacob's 14.7 mpg easily get soaked up by others.

billiken_roy likes this

totally agree HoosierPal.   i would love to see the billikens employ a posse like rotation whereby we sub in and out complete teams, and then run and press like crazy using our athletic advantage to wear teams down and run them out of the arena.   however when we didnt take advantage of that athleticism last year, that sealed it for me.   aint never going to change.  that's ford's style.   deal with it.  

willie likes this

I wouldn't read too much into last year.  Once covid hit the team it is logical to assume everyone's athleticism took a hit.  Trying to run a team out of the gym after covid hit our team so hard - wasn't going to happen.  I give Ford a "pass" on last year (hell, I give everyone a "pass" on last year).  Most everyone was doing their best just to get through the year. 

My impression is that Ford tries to match his style of play to his players' strength.  Without French and Goodwin, I don't see us relying on "bully ball" so much.  The strength of this year's line-up arguably lines up better with a more up-tempo team. We'll see.  I love the chemistry on this team and have high hopes for them.

7 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

totally agree HoosierPal.   i would love to see the billikens employ a posse like rotation whereby we sub in and out complete teams, and then run and press like crazy using our athletic advantage to wear teams down and run them out of the arena.   however when we didnt take advantage of that athleticism last year, that sealed it for me.   aint never going to change.  that's ford's style.   deal with it.  

I feel like we've seen some running / pressing early on both this past season and 2019-20.  Both seasons that fell by the wayside as the season wore on.  Tough to tell if it was because Ford didn't think it was working / wouldn't be effective against tougher competition or we stopped because of extenuating circumstances losing players to injury in 2019-20 (Thatch & Jimerson) or having the COVID issues this past season.

Quality Is Job 1 likes this

20 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

The top teams in the team in the A10, with the exception of Richmond, are just as athletic as we are.  In the games that matter, we don't have an athletic advantage.  We did, however, run the bad teams on our non-conference schedule out of the gym.  That's progress.  There's way too many buy games in our recent past  that were hard-fought 10 point victories.

cgeldmacher, NH and slufanskip like this