College Basketball 2020-21

Taj79

You guys are crazy if you think they are going to tell the 30-yr season ticket holder that has been faithfully donating big amounts to the Billiken Club they have the same access to games as someone that bought season tickets just last year.

Here's what will likely happen:

- They'll reach out to season ticket holders and see how many tickets they really want. They may find that a lot of people with 8 or 6 tickets to their name really only want 2 or 4. Some that bought their usual 4 may say they aren't comfortable, etc. That will whittle the 5,000 or so season ticket holders down to a more reasonable number.

- Depending on whether they got under the maximum amount or not, they'll then start to rank them based on billiken club priority points. Again, you are crazy if you think they are going to treat a 1-yr ticket holder the same as the 30-yr vet.

- Seat location will almost certainly be based on billiken club points.

Littlebill likes this

@Cowboy ---- I went with this as its own thread because it discusses seating plans at similar collegiate venues like Novaand St. Mary's.  Plus it's just related to seating and attendance.  

Good thing is.....and I have not sat many different places, but..... I really do not think there is a bad seat in the house.  The upper deck will be a great place to watch a game just as the lower level is.  I will just miss getting to catch-up with the other season ticket holders we have sat by for years.  I will miss exchanging Christmas wishes and New Years greetings.

If I can listen to games on a scratchy transistor radio I'll be fine.  Watching on tv would be that much better.  Going to games has not even been on my radar for quite awhile; I just hope we have some semblance of a legitimate season.

billikenbill and RUBillsFan like this

17 hours ago, kshoe said:

You guys are crazy if you think they are going to tell the 30-yr season ticket holder that has been faithfully donating big amounts to the Billiken Club they have the same access to games as someone that bought season tickets just last year.

Here's what will likely happen:

- They'll reach out to season ticket holders and see how many tickets they really want. They may find that a lot of people with 8 or 6 tickets to their name really only want 2 or 4. Some that bought their usual 4 may say they aren't comfortable, etc. That will whittle the 5,000 or so season ticket holders down to a more reasonable number.

- Depending on whether they got under the maximum amount or not, they'll then start to rank them based on billiken club priority points. Again, you are crazy if you think they are going to treat a 1-yr ticket holder the same as the 30-yr vet.

- Seat location will almost certainly be based on billiken club points.

I don't think anyone has said that.  In a regular season, the guy ranked at the top of the priority list and the guy at the bottom of the priority list both get a similar benefit.  They both get into the arena.  The only difference is where they are sitting.

This year shouldn't be any different.  Both should get in, although the guy at the bottom of the priority list could, potentially, be in danger of not getting in at all if the list exceed capacity.  However, the guys near the bottom of the list will be sitting in the top rows and the guys at the bottom of the list should be sitting down low.  I'm sure this will also be dependent on the level you usually purchase and your donation, as it always is.

Are you suggesting that you have an issue with the every other game concept?

I know those who think they have given for along time or have held season tix think they should get priority but this is more complicated.  To make full disclosure, I have a very good ranking - 378 - so I should be one of those who are yelling for priority treatment but I am not.  The reason this matter is somewhat complicated is that as cgeldmacher pointed out all season tix holders get basically the same benefit - access to the arena and all games.  He is correct in saying that the value a long time donor/season tix holder gets is the better seats and of course a few other perks that really are not that big a deal.  You give the money to support the team/school and that is really the big perk you get - you can be sarcastic if you want.  

The school/AD has to think about the long term - a relatively new season tix holder is the long time season tix holder/donor for the future.  If you turn on them you cut your throat long term.  I would hope most would want what is best for the team/school not just what is best for them.  We are in unprecedented time with COVID so we all are going to have to be a bit flexible and understanding.  What I care about is the long term success of the program not whether I get to watch all the games in person this year.  I would support the AD plan if it is fair to all season tix holders, takes into account past participation to some extent, and is focused on what will be in the best interest of the program long term.

I am sorry if this does not satisfy some long term tix holders expectations but the greater good has to be served.

For us out of towners; the last 4-5 years TV has given us the bulk of all games with ESPN+, ESPN 2 and U, FSMW, CBSSN, and NBCSN. I would expect this to continue, so I don’t see a need for a SLU only streaming service. Does anyone think the above sports networks are going to change because of the Covid? 

HoosierPal likes this

47 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I know those who think they have given for along time or have held season tix think they should get priority but this is more complicated.  To make full disclosure, I have a very good ranking - 378 - so I should be one of those who are yelling for priority treatment but I am not.  The reason this matter is somewhat complicated is that as cgeldmacher pointed out all season tix holders get basically the same benefit - access to the arena and all games.  He is correct in saying that the value a long time donor/season tix holder gets is the better seats and of course a few other perks that really are not that big a deal.  You give the money to support the team/school and that is really the big perk you get - you can be sarcastic if you want.  

The school/AD has to think about the long term - a relatively new season tix holder is the long time season tix holder/donor for the future.  If you turn on them you cut your throat long term.  I would hope most would want what is best for the team/school not just what is best for them.  We are in unprecedented time with COVID so we all are going to have to be a bit flexible and understanding.  What I care about is the long term success of the program not whether I get to watch all the games in person this year.  I would support the AD plan if it is fair to all season tix holders, takes into account past participation to some extent, and is focused on what will be in the best interest of the program long term.

I am sorry if this does not satisfy some long term tix holders expectations but the greater good has to be served.

The students are an important part of the game day environment and they should also be given priority (at least for a certain number of seats).

1 minute ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

The students are an important part of the game day environment and they should also be given priority (at least for a certain number of seats).

Absolutely. Unfortunately they will be gone for much of the season. 

1 minute ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

I agree with you in principle, but only to the extent that there are no student give-a-ways or pizza freebies to get them into the Fetz.  Given that their # of seats will likely be reduced, the students allowed entrance to the games should be those who want to come without needing an incentive.  As a former student, I attended just about every home game because I wanted to not to get a free piece of pizza or a t-shirt. (And showing my age, I had to drive from home to the old Kiel plus pay to park).  Every year I am amazed at what happens to the student section NLT halftime at give-a-way games and worse yet the games when student-athletes are honored.  The second half student section is down well over 50 %. That group should not be getting any entrance priorities this year when seating is at a premium.

As a long time season ticket holder, I will be more than happy to get into 1/2 the games even though I will be disappointed with having to miss the remaining games of what should be the best Billikens team since 1948.

billiken_roy likes this

38 minutes ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

I would normally agree with you but I wonder how the social distancing requirements will affect the impact students have on the game atmosphere.

Billiken Rich likes this

1 hour ago, bauman said:

I agree with you in principle, but only to the extent that there are no student give-a-ways or pizza freebies to get them into the Fetz.  Given that their # of seats will likely be reduced, the students allowed entrance to the games should be those who want to come without needing an incentive.  As a former student, I attended just about every home game because I wanted to not to get a free piece of pizza or a t-shirt. (And showing my age, I had to drive from home to the old Kiel plus pay to park).  Every year I am amazed at what happens to the student section NLT halftime at give-a-way games and worse yet the games when student-athletes are honored.  The second half student section is down well over 50 %. That group should not be getting any entrance priorities this year when seating is at a premium.

As a long time season ticket holder, I will be more than happy to get into 1/2 the games even though I will be disappointed with having to miss the remaining games of what should be the best Billikens team since 1948.

I hear what you’re saying, but the players love the student section. I’ve seen several different players post on social media that 1 of their favorite parts of games is when the student section is rocking and chanting and  holding up the signs. For that reason alone, a number of seats should be prioritized to give to students. And if it takes incentives to fill those seats, so be it. And I say that as a season ticket holder who would LOVE to see live games this year.

4 hours ago, cheeseman said:

I don't agree that giving equal priority to Johnny come lately season ticket holders over long-term donors is necessarily thinking "long-term." I'm sure SLU has the stats on this, but I suspect that the retention rate for 1 and 2 year season ticket holders is much lower than those that have had tickets for 25 years and have been donating along the way. Put differently, many of those people aren't keeping their tickets long-term no matter what. 

So if given the risk of angering big donor, long-time ticket holders (the exact people that stick with this program through thick and thin) or the flighty, likely to not be around in 3 years anyway, recent season ticket holders that have the cheap seats in the upper deck, I'll side with protecting the big donors. Taken to the extreme, should we tell the Dr. Chaifetz, Kim Tuchi, anybody that contributed enough to have their name on the new locker rooms, etc. donor types that they don't have seats to the Richmond game because the 22 year that is paying $150 for his season tickets needs equal access?

I think it's well understood that when it comes to NCAA tourney games and limited number of tickets for those games, SLU, and I'm sure all schools, go strictly by the points ranking for their donors. I'm not sure why season tickets for this season should be viewed any differently.

AGB91 and billiken_roy like this

12 hours ago, kshoe said:

I don't agree that giving equal priority to Johnny come lately season ticket holders over long-term donors is necessarily thinking "long-term." I'm sure SLU has the stats on this, but I suspect that the retention rate for 1 and 2 year season ticket holders is much lower than those that have had tickets for 25 years and have been donating along the way. Put differently, many of those people aren't keeping their tickets long-term no matter what. 

So if given the risk of angering big donor, long-time ticket holders (the exact people that stick with this program through thick and thin) or the flighty, likely to not be around in 3 years anyway, recent season ticket holders that have the cheap seats in the upper deck, I'll side with protecting the big donors. Taken to the extreme, should we tell the Dr. Chaifetz, Kim Tuchi, anybody that contributed enough to have their name on the new locker rooms, etc. donor types that they don't have seats to the Richmond game because the 22 year that is paying $150 for his season tickets needs equal access?

I think it's well understood that when it comes to NCAA tourney games and limited number of tickets for those games, SLU, and I'm sure all schools, go strictly by the points ranking for their donors. I'm not sure why season tickets for this season should be viewed any differently.

As usual it is easy to read what they want into what a person says.  When I said "fair to all season tix holders" I did not say treat them all equal.  Fairness can be weighted and I leave that to the decision makers to decide.  My position was in response to some saying they were expecting to go to all the games because of their long term status.  What would be wrong with giving them 2/3s of the games and the shorter term fans get 1/3 - just an thought.  That would be fairer to all season tix people than just telling some go pound sand.  When I used the words "donor" I was thinking of normal donors not a Chaifetz or a Tuchi - no need to take it to the extremes.  My point simply was that the solution will be more complex than what some might like it to be.

SLU_Lax likes this

What is evident in this discussion as to how the live attendance to the games for ticket holders will be determined is these two facts:

1. There is no easy way to decide how to do this that will satisfy the vast majority of ticket holders, whether old timers or new ones. I may become a case of damned if you do and damned if you don't. This is something that must be avoided.

2. To avoid the bad blood that will surely come out of any decisions that favor one group of ticket holders over a different group, it may be necessary to do a raffle style selection for every game with all ticket holders entered and the winners picked up at random. This may sound messy, and it is, but it may be the only way to avoid alienating a group of ticket holders since everyone will be subject to the same rules for every game selection.

18 hours ago, slu72 said:

For us out of towners; the last 4-5 years TV has given us the bulk of all games with ESPN+, ESPN 2 and U, FSMW, CBSSN, and NBCSN. I would expect this to continue, so I don’t see a need for a SLU only streaming service. Does anyone think the above sports networks are going to change because of the Covid? 

I'm aware of this but programs need to get creative with potential revenue with a forthcoming loss of ticket sales - on top of fewer games - and I thought it would be a good idea to do a virtual season ticket. Additionally, there are a lot of more casual fans who might not be reading this board and aware of how to piecemeal a season of streaming together like we do.

17 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I'm aware of this but programs need to get creative with potential revenue with a forthcoming loss of ticket sales - on top of fewer games - and I thought it would be a good idea to do a virtual season ticket. Additionally, there are a lot of more casual fans who might not be reading this board and aware of how to piecemeal a season of streaming together like we do.

As someone who doesn’t have a TV package this would be great. I usually am borrowing others subscriptions for each game