Jump to content

Recruiting - 2024


Pistol
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is having contact with your high school coach in the off season that it the issue.

My son played water polo in high school.  One of the assistant coaches on his high school team is a well known water polo goalie instructor.  He puts on camps around the midwest.  This coach scheduled a camp for the St. Louis area.  My son was the only varsity goalie in the area that was not allowed to attend the camp, because he would be getting contact with one of his high school coaches in the off season.  I called MSHAA and pointed out how ridiculous that was.  They told me that the rule was in place to prevent high school coaches from forcing students to participate in off season workouts.  I explained that this was clearly not what was happening here, but they didn't budge.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Webster Groves Boys High School Hoops Head Coaches…their two long time head coaches going back to the 1980’s were Jay Blossom and Tim Moore. (Both were successful, and both won state titles). Blossom retired a few years ago after taking over the program in 1999. Justin Mathes is their current head coach. 

Moore became the AD there a while. After stepping down as hoops HC, Blossom works now with the younger players at Knights Basketball Academy.

Ramey has been doing various forms of AAU ball and hoop events for a few decades. He currently has Ramey basketball teams in various ages, has the Ramey Fall League, and a couple of showcase team events going. He also has worked at Cardinal Ritter several years.

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

CBC already has a history of their guys playing for MOKAN.  Plus, I don't think CBC and Vashon players can play for BBE right now because Tatum and Irons are coaching for BBE.

How does Link get around it, then, with Perry coaching for both? They're a prep school playing a national membership but they do have MSHSAA affiliation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

I'm not sure how Tarris Reed and Damien Mayo going to Link Academy helped either player.  Reed made his commitment to Michigan months ago and was already trending to top 50 status.  Mayo doesn't have any new offers.  Coach Perry must have one helluva sales pitch.

Mayo was a few years too young to see the Karrington Davis situation. He left Chaminade for Montverde and was buried at the end of the bench. Realized his mistake too late and Chaminade wouldn't readmit him. Went to Nebraska - an offer he had while still at CCP - and tore his achilles before the season started. Redshirted, then Hoiberg replaced Miles and he transferred to SIUC. He played sparingly as a redshirt freshman and transferred to Butler CC. Did okay there and now he's at Lindenwood. Point is, he'd have played more as a senior, had more exposure, and maybe had taken a different path if he just stayed at Chaminade. And now the same is happening to Mayo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Why would they not readmit him?

Probably school policy. Once you leave/turn down admission, that's it. Happened with Blake Ahearn back in the day when he took a second eighth grade year. He got in there, opted to put off HS for another year to get stronger for HS ball, and wasn't readmitted.

It could have also been the coach saying it's midseason, we've got a full roster, and you left - maybe that happened before he even tried.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

It is having contact with your high school coach in the off season that it the issue.

My son played water polo in high school.  One of the assistant coaches on his high school team is a well known water polo goalie instructor.  He puts on camps around the midwest.  This coach scheduled a camp for the St. Louis area.  My son was the only varsity goalie in the area that was not allowed to attend the camp, because he would be getting contact with one of his high school coaches in the off season.  I called MSHAA and pointed out how ridiculous that was.  They told me that the rule was in place to prevent high school coaches from forcing students to participate in off season workouts.  I explained that this was clearly not what was happening here, but they didn't budge.

My son played high school baseball. Each summer the entire coaching staff put on a camp, and just about every player from our school was there. It was open to anyone, but the vast majority were from the school district. There was a fee to attend. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Probably school policy. Once you leave/turn down admission, that's it. Happened with Blake Ahearn back in the day when he took a second eighth grade year. He got in there, opted to put off HS for another year to get stronger for HS ball, and wasn't readmitted.

It could have also been the coach saying it's midseason, we've got a full roster, and you left - maybe that happened before he even tried.

Interesting.  Both seem like somewhat harsh approaches to dealing with 15-18-year-old kids.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Interesting.  Both seem like somewhat harsh approaches to dealing with 15-18-year-old kids.

I would also not be surprised if the policy has softened post-recession. My brother, who worked there for about 7 years until this school year, said teaching in a private school now is as much a sales job as a teaching job. They all took big hits during the recession and have taken the approach of being all things to all people in order to slowly recover and justify their tuitions. So it may have been driven more by the team/coach in Davis' case. I'm not sure, just basing it on the policy that was definitely in place when I was there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, brianstl said:

CBC already has a history of their guys playing for MOKAN.  Plus, I don't think CBC and Vashon players can play for BBE right now because Tatum and Irons are coaching for BBE.

Is this a relatively new rule because Tatum has coached Eagles for awhile, sine before his son was in the program. He's had other CBC players on the team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

My son played high school baseball. Each summer the entire coaching staff put on a camp, and just about every player from our school was there. It was open to anyone, but the vast majority were from the school district. There was a fee to attend. 

You can have a camp with your own team, but days you can be together playing ball is regulated. I graduated HS in 2011 and we had a full week of camp, plus a couple summer leagues and tournaments, but it was all affiliated with the high school team

 

I have a year of college eligibility left if we are looking for a three point shooter who can't shoot

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Is this a relatively new rule because Tatum has coached Eagles for awhile, sine before his son was in the program. He's had other CBC players on the team.

It all has to do with which age group he is coaching.  If he is on the staff with u15 team, CBC kids can play u16 and u17.  I heard Tatum is on the U17 staff this year, so no CBC kids on that team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

It all has to do with which age group he is coaching.  If he is on the staff with u15 team, CBC kids can play u16 and u17.  I heard Tatum is on the U17 staff this year, so no CBC kids on that team.

Bol could play U16 if he wanted to.

This seems ridiculous.

In my day most HS coaches ran AAU programs.  Irons had a team, gameface, that was just made up of Vashon players.

I don't particularly like the direction BBE has moved in, featuring more out of towners than ever, and not locking down the best STL players.  They could also not hire HS coaches to coach their teams.  They could just have full time coaches.  Their are plenty of guys who would take that gig.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Here is an article on Bol’s recruitment:

https://247sports.com/Article/Basketball-recruiting-2024-Jon-Bol-is-improving-rapidly-Butler-Notre-Dame-Saint-Louis-Ohio-State-181248401/
Here’s what he had to say about SLU:

Saint Louis: “SLU is a good school. It is a very good school that I am able to see up close and have a good feel for.”

Pistol and BuiltFordBills like this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That quote seems like an answer that a kid would give if he was asked about SLU but didn't really know what to say.  Not knocking him at all since the whole getting interviewed thing can be somewhat ridiculous.  His answer seems to be the equivalent of "I have heard it's a good school, and I know it is nearby."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

That quote seems like an answer that a kid would give if he was asked about SLU but didn't really know what to say.  Not knocking him at all since the whole getting interviewed thing can be somewhat ridiculous.  His answer seems to be the equivalent of "I have heard it's a good school, and I know it is nearby."

Honestly that's how almost all of these quotes from recruits sound when it's just a quick comment about any school.  Some variation of "so & so is a great school.  They've got a good coach & I like the way they play."  Rarely anything earth shattering.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/24/2022 at 1:43 PM, RUBillsFan said:

Honestly that's how almost all of these quotes from recruits sound when it's just a quick comment about any school.  Some variation of "so & so is a great school.  They've got a good coach & I like the way they play."  Rarely anything earth shattering.

Let’s just make up a better quote: “it is a good school. It is strange, but the Billiken visits me in my dreams. I don’t know what it means.”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They almost always say very little, but the acknowledgement is important. It also makes the kids who do have something even a little unique to say really stand out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Even with pro athletes, I am always impressed by thoughtful on the spot answers.  I say that, because so many seem incapable of exactly that.  So, I'm definitely not going to ding this kid for his answer.  I was just pointing out that it really wasn't a positive statement in our favor if he was asked directly about SLU and gave that response.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bol is going to be answering a lot of those questions about a lot of schools over the next two years. If I were him I wouldn't have very strong opinions on the schools yet either, just soak it in.

Just my opinion, no inside info, but it seems like a longshot that Bol will end up at SLU. But in this era of the transfer portal it's important that we recruit good local kids hard in order to be well-positioned for possible transfers down the road.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...