Jump to content

SLU & NCAA Corona Virus Discussion


Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, SShoe said:

Well, now the unemployment rate is going to be 30% and presidents, for right or wrong, get credit when things are good and blame when things are bad.  

Deregulation and tax cuts often seem like good ideas at the time, but sooner or later the bill comes due.  

feel free to pay my taxes since most of it goes to fund you liberals nonsense anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, mdscott24 said:

Your opinion does not represent my view nor the majority of Christians I know. Is that your way of justifying killing babies?

I didn’t say it represents your view or your friends views. But it does represent a lot of Christians I know and the view of a certain political party.

 

Also, as someone who’s wife had a 2nd trimester miscarriage, I don’t take abortion lightly. But my wife and I can attest to the fact that it is a materially different thing than losing a child (she has a family member who lost a child for health reasons). To not take into account the nuance is a disservice to the debate.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

feel free to pay my taxes since most of it goes to fund you liberals nonsense anyway.

Actually, right now, a lot of our taxes are going to a massive government intervention in the economy.  There's a word for it.  Begins with S and rhymes with ocialism.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SLU_Lax said:

Oil is so low that it went into negative territory.  We have been a net oil importer for many years now, but I do not know if oil at negative $35.00 a barrel will increase or decrease our exports.

I don’t think Trump should get credit or now blame for the oil industry. Trump doesn’t get credit or blame for fracking. There have been and will continue to be many oil industry bankruptcy’s . Even before the virus oil prices were in a major decline but don’t worry we still have beautiful coal. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, willie said:

I don’t think Trump should get credit or now blame for the oil industry. Trump doesn’t get credit or blame for fracking. There have been and will continue to be many oil industry bankruptcy’s . Even before the virus oil prices were in a major decline but don’t worry we still have beautiful coal. 

This.  

People need to quit putting all credit/blame at the feet of every president that serves.  They are not all powerful people, even if they want to be.  It's overly simplistic thinking and people, particularly graduates of Saint Louis University, should be smarter than that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mdscott24 said:

Personally I think this thread is disgusting, but ventured back to it today because I wondered why it was still "hot." I've said nothing on here about who's President or anything like that, but I did wish people Happy Easter. Now, does a "Pro Life" anti abortion stance not mean anything to practicing Christians or the Catholic community any more? We're still slaughtering nearly 3k kids a day in the name of abortion. And the current President is doing his best to reduce that. More so than any President in my lifetime. So please, no lectures about morals and who votes for whom for President.

Look, I get cafeteria Catholicism. I just find it amusing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SShoe said:

This.  

People need to quit putting all credit/blame at the feet of every president that serves.  They are not all powerful people, even if they want to be.  It's overly simplistic thinking and people, particularly graduates of Saint Louis University, should be smarter than that.

I agree with this wholeheartedly.  I just brought up the oil because I did not even know that a negative price per barrel was even possible before today (oil trading isn't really my thing).  I hope my statement did not come off as blaming or negative....just more a statement of shock.  I just also noted that we have been net exporters since before Trump so that I was not getting flack from the other side either.

I will make one statement that may come back to look terrible (especially as I am no fan of regulations).  It does appear that despite everything happening that banks are doing MUCH, MUCH better now than in 2008-2009.  The regulation that neutered their ability to get some higher margins, also seems to have left them less exposed.  I wonder if the aftermath of this will lead to corporations being neutered in their ability to buy back their own stocks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SLU_Lax said:

I agree with this wholeheartedly.  I just brought up the oil because I did not even know that a negative price per barrel was even possible before today (oil trading isn't really my thing).  I hope my statement did not come off as blaming or negative....just more a statement of shock.  I just also noted that we have been net exporters since before Trump so that I was not getting flack from the other side either.

I will make one statement that may come back to look terrible (especially as I am no fan of regulations).  It does appear that despite everything happening that banks are doing MUCH, MUCH better now than in 2008-2009.  The regulation that neutered their ability to get some higher margins, also seems to have left them less exposed.  I wonder if the aftermath of this will lead to corporations being neutered in their ability to buy back their own stocks.

My statement wasn't directed at you. Just venting about how much people credit presidents for various things when they really don't have all that much control over any of it.

I have some hope that we will come out of this with a change in priorities, but I'm not holding my breath.  The pandemic has exposed some serious societal flaws in this country, which is really what that Atlantic article was pointing out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, willie said:

I don’t think Trump should get credit or now blame for the oil industry. Trump doesn’t get credit or blame for fracking. There have been and will continue to be many oil industry bankruptcy’s . Even before the virus oil prices were in a major decline but don’t worry we still have beautiful coal. 

he rewrote and cancelled a lot of regulations that changed the entire industry, so i disagree with you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, glazedandconfused said:

I didn’t say it represents your view or your friends views. But it does represent a lot of Christians I know and the view of a certain political party.

 

Also, as someone who’s wife had a 2nd trimester miscarriage, I don’t take abortion lightly. But my wife and I can attest to the fact that it is a materially different thing than losing a child (she has a family member who lost a child for health reasons). To not take into account the nuance is a disservice to the debate.

How could it not be different? So ridiculous. Until birth you are not a person period. Take care of people not corporations or the unborn. Both have rights but not the same as people and not as important as people. MPGA

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

he rewrote and cancelled a lot of regulations that changed the entire industry, so i disagree with you.

this part cracks me up.  It has been noted by pretty much every former staffer that the man won't even read one page memos, but yeah, he rewrote all the regulations involving the oil industry.  sure he did.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

he rewrote and cancelled a lot of regulations that changed the entire industry, so i disagree with you.

No. The oil supply increase had more to do with the new fracking discoveries in the Permian Basin. The oil industry and technology vastly increased supply. This trend has been going on for decades. Now if you tell me Trump invented fracking I will agree with you. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

he rewrote and cancelled a lot of regulations that changed the entire industry, so i disagree with you.

He did change regulations on the coal industry that no one wants to use. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

he rewrote and cancelled a lot of regulations that changed the entire industry, so i disagree with you.

According to this website, U.S. domestic oil production increased from 5.2mm barrels of oil per day in January 2009 to $8.9mm on January 2017 (a 70% increase). Yup, it was all Trump. 

https://www.macrotrends.net/2562/us-crude-oil-production-historical-chart

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SShoe said:

this part cracks me up.  It has been noted by pretty much every former staffer that the man won't even read one page memos, but yeah, he rewrote all the regulations involving the oil industry.  sure he did.  

😂😂😂😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, willie said:

He did change regulations on the coal industry that no one wants to use. 

Who needs clean water, air or chemical free foods? Bring on the “clean” coal.  I heard they scrub each piece with hand sanitizer. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Why has the subway system in NYC been allowed to operate through this outbreak without outrage while people have a heart attack over a nature trail or beach being opened?

Only reason I can think is that essential workers need to use the subway to get to work (I realize others have been riding it), while nature trails and beaches aren’t essential to be open and only encourage unsafe gatherings. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, moytoy12 said:

Only reason I can think is that essential workers need to use the subway to get to work (I realize others have been riding it), while nature trails and beaches aren’t essential to be open and only encourage unsafe gatherings. 

The problem is the subway is a proven incubator for outbreaks while the same science suggest next to zero outbreaks have been the result of outdoor transmission.  If we are really going to follow the science on this the subway system should be shut down immediately and no beaches or nature trails should be closed.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.04.20053058v1

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Only reason I can think is that essential workers need to use the subway to get to work (I realize others have been riding it), while nature trails and beaches aren’t essential to be open and only encourage unsafe gatherings. 

Ridership is down 90% since earlier in March. The 10%? Essential workers, and the poor. 

 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/18/health/coronavirus-america-future.html#click=https://t.co/QSqstQpIFP

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...