Jump to content
Billikens.com Message Board
ACE

Transfers and grad transfers - 2020

Recommended Posts

Stony Brook, of all programs, has had three players this offseason transfer to P5 schools. That's pretty wild. Still quite a bit of transfer action going on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A tough blow for Indiana - Justin Smith leaving as grad transfer. Poor Archie. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

St. John's Figueroa hit the portal today.  Interesting but not surprising rumor on waiver.

 

Schools have been in his ear about transferring - wonderful. Imagine how much of that will be going on if/when the NCAA adopts free agency.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, ACE said:

Schools have been in his ear about transferring - wonderful. Imagine how much of that will be going on if/when the NCAA adopts free agency.

Agree.  I think it is called, get used to it. 

Frankly I would now be more surprised if schools had NOT been in Goodwin and French's ear, particularly French as he is from the East.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ACE said:

Schools have been in his ear about transferring - wonderful. Imagine how much of that will be going on if/when the NCAA adopts free agency.

Yeah, it would start to look like St. Louis high school basketball 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Yeah, it would start to look like St. Louis high school basketball 🙂

Except with millions of dollars......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ACE said:

Schools have been in his ear about transferring - wonderful. Imagine how much of that will be going on if/when the NCAA adopts free agency.

I believe they blocked it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ACE said:

Schools have been in his ear about transferring - wonderful. Imagine how much of that will be going on if/when the NCAA adopts 

Edited by Fan Guy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Agree.  I think it is called, get used to it. 

Frankly I would now be more surprised if schools had NOT been in Goodwin and French's ear, particularly French as he is from the East.

Why would he transfer from a NCAA tournament team, AND HAVE TO SIT OUT THIS UPCOMING YEAR?  I could see him signing for some sub-NBA team for $$$, but not transfer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bauman said:

Why would he transfer from a NCAA tournament team, AND HAVE TO SIT OUT THIS UPCOMING YEAR?  I could see him signing for some sub-NBA team for $$$, but not transfer.

Exactly.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bauman said:

Why would he transfer from a NCAA tournament team, AND HAVE TO SIT OUT THIS UPCOMING YEAR?  I could see him signing for some sub-NBA team for $$$, but not transfer.

The NCAA will get buried this year on COVID waiver requests....I want to be closer to home, I need to be closer to home.   Will the NCAA grant them or not, who knows?  The NCAA has already given spring athletes a blanket COVID waiver for an extra year.  The NCAA has soooo many issues right now, they may just say yes to the basketball waiver requests and get them off their list.  Very few transfers may end up sitting. 

Verbal Commits lists 930 transfers, six added in the past day.  How many of the 930 will request a waiver and how many will use COVID in the request?  300?  500? 700?  Everyone will likely get one free NCAA transfer after this next season, so why spend time evaluating this pile of waiver requests?  It's not like the NCAA has a reputation of honesty and respect they need to uphold.  

Players transfer from likely NCAA tourney teams all the time.  Just about every NCAA school has had one player transfer.  Just a random number here, but 60 of the 68 NCAA teams for next season may have had a transfer out.   In the Big 10, Maryland, Indiana, Iowa, Purdue, Michigan, Ohio State, all potential tourney teams, lost players.  It happens.

Let's hope neither French nor Goodwin (or Perkins) take leave.  But to think neither has been approached, well, I'm guessing they may have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

The NCAA will get buried this year on COVID waiver requests....I want to be closer to home, I need to be closer to home.   Will the NCAA grant them or not, who knows?  The NCAA has already given spring athletes a blanket COVID waiver for an extra year.  The NCAA has soooo many issues right now, they may just say yes to the basketball waiver requests and get them off their list.  Very few transfers may end up sitting. 

Verbal Commits lists 930 transfers, six added in the past day.  How many of the 930 will request a waiver and how many will use COVID in the request?  300?  500? 700?  Everyone will likely get one free NCAA transfer after this next season, so why spend time evaluating this pile of waiver requests?  It's not like the NCAA has a reputation of honesty and respect they need to uphold.  

Players transfer from likely NCAA tourney teams all the time.  Just about every NCAA school has had one player transfer.  Just a random number here, but 60 of the 68 NCAA teams for next season may have had a transfer out.   In the Big 10, Maryland, Indiana, Iowa, Purdue, Michigan, Ohio State, all potential tourney teams, lost players.  It happens.

Let's hope neither French nor Goodwin (or Perkins) take leave.  But to think neither has been approached, well, I'm guessing they may have.

Goodwin has Team Blue tatted on his chest but go off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

The NCAA will get buried this year on COVID waiver requests....I want to be closer to home, I need to be closer to home.   Will the NCAA grant them or not, who knows?  The NCAA has already given spring athletes a blanket COVID waiver for an extra year.  The NCAA has soooo many issues right now, they may just say yes to the basketball waiver requests and get them off their list.  Very few transfers may end up sitting. 

Verbal Commits lists 930 transfers, six added in the past day.  How many of the 930 will request a waiver and how many will use COVID in the request?  300?  500? 700?  Everyone will likely get one free NCAA transfer after this next season, so why spend time evaluating this pile of waiver requests?  It's not like the NCAA has a reputation of honesty and respect they need to uphold.  

Players transfer from likely NCAA tourney teams all the time.  Just about every NCAA school has had one player transfer.  Just a random number here, but 60 of the 68 NCAA teams for next season may have had a transfer out.   In the Big 10, Maryland, Indiana, Iowa, Purdue, Michigan, Ohio State, all potential tourney teams, lost players.  It happens.

Let's hope neither French nor Goodwin (or Perkins) take leave.  But to think neither has been approached, well, I'm guessing they may have.

I’m sure they have had teams or someone whisper in their ear, but I’d be surprised if either are listening. JGood and Has are pretty close, as I understand it. If the pro thing doesn’t pan out, it would seem they’d want to finish up at place where they’ve got a shot to be record holders and a good shot at doing something special in the NCAA’s. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let’s face it. If JGood wanted to transfer, he would’ve transferred already. He stayed after his freshman year, when I don’t think anybody would’ve held against him if he would’ve decided to leave. I’d be willing to bet him and Has have always had people in their ears. As Coach314 mentioned a couple weeks ago, JGood’s father isn’t gonna let somebody influence him from the outside. Both him and Has know that we could have a special season brewing if they both come back. I don’t see any way either of them transfer. Deciding to go pro is 1 thing, but they’re never gonna play for a different school.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

The NCAA will get buried this year on COVID waiver requests....I want to be closer to home, I need to be closer to home.   Will the NCAA grant them or not, who knows?  The NCAA has already given spring athletes a blanket COVID waiver for an extra year.  The NCAA has soooo many issues right now, they may just say yes to the basketball waiver requests and get them off their list.  Very few transfers may end up sitting. 

Verbal Commits lists 930 transfers, six added in the past day.  How many of the 930 will request a waiver and how many will use COVID in the request?  300?  500? 700?  Everyone will likely get one free NCAA transfer after this next season, so why spend time evaluating this pile of waiver requests?  It's not like the NCAA has a reputation of honesty and respect they need to uphold.  

Players transfer from likely NCAA tourney teams all the time.  Just about every NCAA school has had one player transfer.  Just a random number here, but 60 of the 68 NCAA teams for next season may have had a transfer out.   In the Big 10, Maryland, Indiana, Iowa, Purdue, Michigan, Ohio State, all potential tourney teams, lost players.  It happens.

Let's hope neither French nor Goodwin (or Perkins) take leave.  But to think neither has been approached, well, I'm guessing they may have.

I'm not looking to get into a pi$$!ng contest with you, but your post is filled with pure speculation:

What is the source of your "buried with COVID waiver requests?"   If it gets into a "miles away from home" decision point, will they establish a set number of mile radius and if you are inside that circle, too bad, but if outside of it, you are good to go? ;

"Everyone will likely get one free transfer after this season...."  Sorry, but with all the opposition this drew after the trial balloon was floated, this issue was promptly moved to the back burner and I join Jon Rothstein in hoping it stays in the trash folder;

"Just about every NCAA school has had a player transfer"     How many of those were key players, e.g. HF & JG, who had ample playing time or experienced a Hd. Coaching change or were grad transfers who would not be sitting out a year?  I don't pretend to know the answer to that question, but I suspect you could count them on one hand;

"Maryland....Ohio State, all potential tourney teams, lost players"  Why?  Playing time/being recruited over/disagreements with coaches/illness/the famous Pearson Grandma is sick/ grad transfers?  Were any of them key starters who just wanted to change schools?  Again, I don't know the answer, but I'm not going to make any assumptions about it;

Finally, I do agree with your guess that Hasahn and Jordan may have been approached, but since neither has placed his name into the transfer portal, wouldn't that be a tampering violation that no one except C Martin would risk? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Predictions:

- Goodwin, Hargrove, Collins transfer to Mizzou

- Jimerson transfers to Virginia

- French transfers to Syracuse

- Perkins transfers to Illinois

- Jacobs transfers to DePaul

- Linssen and Lorentson both go pro overseas

- Okoro transfers to Illinois St

- Strickland never steps on campus and eventually signs with the G league

- Thatch retires

- Bell transfers to Michigan St

- Ford goes to Kentucky

- Crews takes over again in a low cost move

- Bishop transfers back and sits out another year. After an injury year and a suspension year, he finishes his SLU career as a 34 year old

- Larry Hughes Jr signs with Duke after SLU fails to offer his all MVC caliber teammate

- Shaka Smart takes over the job after he is fired from Texas

- 4 years later, SLU has a sweet 16 caliber roster but basketball season is canceled after the players strike because they want higher pay

- Shaka moves to Mizzou

- 05 records his 500th Harris Stowe basketball podcast

Now 13’s got some serious Billiken DNA inbred paranoia. One thing missing season goes full ahead we go 0-18 in conference play and 1-11 in the OOC. Fetz’s biggest crowd of year pulls in a whopping 666 fans who got free tickets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bauman said:

I'm not looking to get into a pi$$!ng contest with you, but your post is filled with pure speculation:

What is the source of your "buried with COVID waiver requests?"   If it gets into a "miles away from home" decision point, will they establish a set number of mile radius and if you are inside that circle, too bad, but if outside of it, you are good to go? ;

"Everyone will likely get one free transfer after this season...."  Sorry, but with all the opposition this drew after the trial balloon was floated, this issue was promptly moved to the back burner and I join Jon Rothstein in hoping is stays in the trash folder;

"Just about every NCAA school has had a player transfer"     How many of those were key players, e.g. HF & JG, who had ample playing time or experienced a Hd. Coaching change or were grad transfers who would not be sitting out a year?  I don't pretend to know the answer to that question, but I suspect you could count them on one hand;

"Maryland....Ohio State, all potential tourney teams, lost players"  Why?  Playing time/being recruited over/disagreements with coaches/illness/the famous Pearson Grandma is sick/ grad transfers?  Were any of them key starters who just wanted to change schools?  Again, I don't know the answer, but I'm not going to make any assumptions about it;

Finally, I do agree with your guess that Hasahn and Jordan may have been approached, but since neither has placed his name into the transfer portal, wouldn't that be a tampering violation that no one except C Martin would risk? 

 

 

No offense taken.  Certainly there is speculation in my opinion. I underlined guess as a starter.

The NCAA hasn't tabled the transfer rule. They moved it back and have changed the process. They want to go through a legislative process rather than use a waiver from the existing rule.  This May 20th link from the NCAA provides the latest.  http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/di-council-approves-transfer-resolution

I too hope it never comes to fruition.  But I would bet that it will in a year or two at the most.  Part of the reason is that the NCAA, and I believe they would agree, knows their current waiver program is broken.  They realize it isn't going to get any better and the time they spend on waivers isn't going to lessen.

As far as the COVID waiver, Figureoa's portal entry has been suggested to be on that aspect.  I have read more than one sports column that suggests this flood of COVID related requests will happen. Why wouldn't it?  If I was seeking a waiver, for sure I would use 'the closer to home due to the virus' angle.  The other common waiver request speculated by writers, will be "I was told there would be a free transfer rule".  For me, that one is a 'too bad' response.

From Newsday, May 26:  The acknowledgment that the NCAA needs to change its rules augurs well for those seeking waivers to play in 2020-21. That Figueroa wishes to transfer from a school in the center of the COVID-19 pandemic makes him a strong candidate regardless.

I am not enamored with the ethics of coaches, alumni, sponsors, AAU coaches, etc. who flirt with tampering lines.   There are many ways 'to get into someone's ear'.  They know how to stretch the boundaries.

Enough from me.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Figueroa is from Lawrence, Mass.  That makes only Boston College as the likely 'closer to home/COVID-19' landing spot.  Or Northeastern.  Or UMass-Lowell.  Boston U.  or Harvard.  Let the games begin.  Anything else is pure bullshite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anybody know why Johnny Juzang was given an immediate waiver to go from Kentucky to UCLA?  Other than he went home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Figueroa is from Lawrence, Mass.  That makes only Boston College as the likely 'closer to home/COVID-19' landing spot.  Or Northeastern.  Or UMass-Lowell.  Boston U.  or Harvard.  Let the games begin.  Anything else is pure bullshite.

UMass. Why’d u leave them out? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because Amherst is all the way across state.  Here isthe lis Figueroa has as of now:  Memphis, Texas Tech, Arkansas, Dayton, Ohio State, Oregon, Georgia Tech, Samford, UCLA and Auburn.  COVID-19 my sizable arse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

Because Amherst is all the way across state.  Here isthe lis Figueroa has as of now:  Memphis, Texas Tech, Arkansas, Dayton, Ohio State, Oregon, Georgia Tech, Samford, UCLA and Auburn.  COVID-19 my sizable arse.

"All the way across" Massachusetts isn't the same as "all the way across" most other states!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

True ..... however, if you are going to use “COVID-19” and “I want to transfer to be closer to home” and, oh yeah, “I want to play immediately” all in the same application sentence, then at least get the fuoking geography right!  Otherwise, this Figueroa punk is making the system a joke.  Shut the fuok up and go G League already.  His list is atrocious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...