United States of College Basketball

RUBillsFan

Team ranked by state per CBS's Matt Norlander

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/united-states-of-college-basketball-where-every-team-ranks-in-each-state-from-top-to-bottom/

Missouri

Dana Ford's Bears are the class of the Valley this season. Get in on the ground floor as opposed to catching up that Sunday morning when the Valley's conference title game airs on CBS. Names to know: senior SG Keandre Cook; senior PF Tulio Da Salva; senior forward Lamont West; wing Josh Hall. Nine players are transfers, including West (West Virginia) and Hall (Nevada). Rare is the year when the Missouri Tigers aren't the best team in this state. The 2019-20 spell looks like an exception.
The rest
2. Missouri
3. Saint Louis
4. UMKC
5. Southeast Missouri State 

Glad Mizzou isn't #1, but per Kenpom the list should go 39-Mizzou, 141-SLU, 166-MO State, 230-UMKC, 299-SEMO. 

Kenpom also disputes MO State as being the class of the Valley.  He has them 6th, but all 10 teams are bunched between 99 and 226. 

Further Norlander's assertion that Mizzou not being the best team is "rare" is dubious.  Just last year, SLU made the NCAAs while Mizzou sat at home (although KenPom still had Mizzou ranked higher).  Mizzou was pretty awful from 2015-17 although the rest of the state was as well, so you could argue they were the best in 2015&16, MO State was in 2017).  From 2012-14 during SLU's 3 year NCAA run, they were as good as or better than Mizzou every year with 2012 being the only year it is arguable.  I guess Norlander considers something "rare" if it undoubtedly only happens 8/9 years or arguably happens only 5/9 years.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Kenpom also disputes MO State as being the class of the Valley.  He has them 6th, but all 10 teams are bunched between 99 and 226.

Computers are only as good as the info fed into them. Missouri State has the most talent in the Valley and it's not close. They also return the best pro prospect in the conference.  MSU earned 29 of a possible 44 first-place votes from Valley coaches and media members. Bradley was 2nd with 5 first-place votes. If Mo State were to finish sixth it would be a monumental failure. Screw Mizzou, let's get the Bears on the schedule.

HoosierPal and rgbilliken like this

14 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Computers are only as good as the info fed into him. Missouri State has the most talent in the Valley and it's not close. They also return the best pro prospect in the conference.  MSU earned 29 of a possible 44 first-place votes from Valley coaches and media members. Bradley was 2nd with 5 first-place votes. If Mo State were to finish sixth it would be a monumental failure. Screw Mizzou, let's get the Bears on the schedule.

I don't follow the Valley at all really.  It looks like there is a lot of parity given the computer rankings which I'm sure KenPom would admit are flawed until more data is available.

I am on board with getting MO State back on the schedule.

Not interested. Not only did they screw over us with the RM at the helm but they also were overly demanding as to when we could play them. For instance, they would only seem to have available dates to play us when their students were in school and could pack their gym but then for any return to St Louis, the games at our place would be different as they seemed only available to play us when our students were gone over Christmas break (and their students were here in St Louis to not only attend but also to help cancel out our home court advantage). And, of course, that one year when they were allowed to take over our student section.  Of course much of this blame should be at the feet of our poor ADs over the years...but I don’t think things have changed much

SLU_Lax and cgeldmacher like this

39 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Not interested. Not only did they screw over us with the RM at the helm but they also were overly demanding as to when we could play them. For instance, they would only seem to have available dates to play us when their students were in school and could pack their gym but then for any return to St Louis, the games at our place would be different as they seemed only available to play us when our students were gone over Christmas break (and their students were here in St Louis to not only attend but also to help cancel out our home court advantage). And, of course, that one year when they were allowed to take over our student section.  Of course much of this blame should be at the feet of our poor ADs over the years...but I don’t think things have changed much

I believe they also wanted to reset the series to play in Springfield when their new building opened, even though it would've been our turn to host.

F those guys.

AGB91 and billiken_roy like this

9 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

I believe they also wanted to reset the series to play in Springfield when their new building opened, even though it would've been our turn to host.

F those guys.

I'd like to think the bad blood all started because MSU lost a game at the buzzer on a bad call. Vouyoukas tipped it in right after the buzzer went off, but the refs called it good and we won. But that was in 2006-2007, so we played them a couple more times on that deal, took a season off, and played another home-and-home before Majerus' comments in 2011.

-I'll continue to hold the grudge Coach Majerus brought to light regarding SWMO St, there are a lot (353) of fish in the sea, no need to have them on the schedule, heck I would rather have Rockhurst or another D2 on the schedule than those folks

48 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-I'll continue to hold the grudge Coach Majerus brought to light regarding SWMO St, there are a lot (353) of fish in the sea, no need to have them on the schedule, heck I would rather have Rockhurst or another D2 on the schedule than those folks

Your  opinion is noted.  I'm on the opposite side.  The only remaining Athletic Department employees still around are AD May and the AD at Missouri State.  The players are all gone and the coaching staffs are all gone.  It's history.  I'm over it.  I'm looking forward, not backwards.

MO State would be a much better opponent this season than Valpo. 

RUBillsFan likes this

4 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Computers are only as good as the info fed into them. Missouri State has the most talent in the Valley and it's not close. They also return the best pro prospect in the conference.  MSU earned 29 of a possible 44 first-place votes from Valley coaches and media members. Bradley was 2nd with 5 first-place votes. If Mo State were to finish sixth it would be a monumental failure. Screw Mizzou, let's get the Bears on the schedule.

I don’t want to bad post this since it is great info. I just don’t agree with playing the Bears. I will default to RickMa’s judgment and say never again. If we can’t trust their word in scheduling, then we don’t need to schedule them. 

Billikens4life likes this

45 minutes ago, SLU_Lax said:

I don’t want to bad post this since it is great info. I just don’t agree with playing the Bears. I will default to RickMa’s judgment and say never again. If we can’t trust their word in scheduling, then we don’t need to schedule them. 

Depends on who caused the deal to fall through.  If it was Paul Lusk, he's not there anymore.  Dana Ford isn't afraid to play anybody.

i dont want to play any additional mo valley teams.   we should be trying to make our schedule tougher each year as the billikens program progresses.  and the last thing i want is to play a program that didnt live up to their word.   if rickma said never again, then it should be never again.   

AGB91 likes this

11 hours ago, Pistol said:

I'd like to think the bad blood all started because MSU lost a game at the buzzer on a bad call. Vouyoukas tipped it in right after the buzzer went off, but the refs called it good and we won. But that was in 2006-2007, so we played them a couple more times on that deal, took a season off, and played another home-and-home before Majerus' comments in 2011.

There was a bit more to the tip-in call. The refs went to the monitors (which were linked to the MSU TV feed) and the time on the screen showed the shot was good. A few days later when a videotape from a camera on one of the baskets was viewed, it showed the tip-in and a clear view of the actual scoreboard (or maybe the basket-mounted clock).

The tape showed that Ian's tip clearly came after time expired. The TV feed time had not been properly synced to the official clock was the explanation given at the time. These days, I'm pretty sure the scorer's table monitors are independent of TV and are synced to the actual clock.

Pistol likes this

11 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Depends on who caused the deal to fall through.  If it was Paul Lusk, he's not there anymore.  Dana Ford isn't afraid to play anybody.

Let’s let Dana win for few years before we even think about playing them again. 
And who cares if Paul Lusk is gone. Actions have consequences 

I'd rather renew the series with Mo State with a clean slate than continue begging Mizzou to play us.  We don't have any local rivalries to speak of. Mo State and SLU could both be at-large teams in 2021.  That doesn't happen very often. Holding a grudge over a coach who is no longer there is bad business.

12 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I'd rather renew the series with Mo State with a clean slate than continue begging Mizzou to play us.  We don't have any local rivalries to speak of. Mo State and SLU could both be at-large teams in 2021.  That doesn't happen very often. Holding a grudge over a coach who is no longer there is bad business.

Why bring up Mizzou in this conversation?

Also you are failing to recognize the significance of a “name” opponent and the benefits that follow after a win over a “name” opponent. No one cares if MO State were to be an at large team outside of you and me, so very few would call this a quality win.  But if you want to talk Mizzou, then a win over an SEC school - even an average Mizzou team - would be a quality win. 

i dont want to ask either mi$$ouri or southwest missouri state to play.   if they want to play us, they should come to us, and offer a 2 at slu for 1 at their place three game series.   until then, we can find better schools to play.

AGB91 likes this

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

I agree. Lusk is gone and Majerus is dead. Both programs have completely different staffs. It's been almost a decade. They might be the best team in the state this year. Seems like an attractive opponent to me.

And to be completely clear, I am 100% opposed to SLU even considering joining the Valley. I just think a few MVC programs offer attractive rivalry games for us - Loyola, MSU, and SIUC.

RUBillsFan likes this

6 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I agree. Lusk is gone and Majerus is dead. Both programs have completely different staffs. It's been almost a decade. They might be the best team in the state this year. Seems like an attractive opponent to me.

And to be completely clear, I am 100% opposed to SLU even considering joining the Valley. I just think a few MVC programs offer attractive rivalry games for us - Loyola, MSU, and SIUC.

-it had been a while since anyone on here talked about MVC membership for SLU, I guess it was due, which is very different than playing or not playing MVC schools