Billikens.com Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
HoosierPal

Coach on the Radio - Tuesday with Travis + Other Radio

Just now, cheeseman said:

Creating a TO is like a defensive stop and converting it into points could be in many ways other than just a lay up.

I understand that, but you’ve seen our half court offense, right? Seems to me generating relatively easy points in transition off of turnovers would pay bigger dividends than relying on our 40% shooting in a half court set. It also seems like an easier problem to fix/improve upon than poor shooters/shooting.

Just now, moytoy12 said:

I understand that, but you’ve seen our half court offense, right? Seems to me generating relatively easy points in transition off of turnovers would pay bigger dividends than relying on our 40% shooting in a half court set. It also seems like an easier problem to fix/improve upon than poor shooters/shooting.

I was just pointing out what he may have meant.  Our lay ups on the run is no sure thing either.  Working the ball inside has been our best option for now.

34 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I like this. It might not be quite what I was pushing for in the other thread, but I think throwing some different looks at Fordham is going to rattle them. We've guarded the perimeter extremely well this season, holding opponents to a worse percentage than we've shot, which is hard to even comprehend. Anyway, I was talking about throwing more pressure at them and trying to bully their smaller guards into turnovers, but I do suppose that could leave us vulnerable to some open looks and we can't let them get hot.

I think Ford was saying (if I'm reading the summary correctly) that Fordham plays 4 different types of defense.  He was not saying that SLU is going to show Fordham 4 different looks on D. 

I'd imagine they'll figure out quickly that a zone is going to be most effective and use that a lot against us.

49 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I like this. It might not be quite what I was pushing for in the other thread, but I think throwing some different looks at Fordham is going to rattle them. We've guarded the perimeter extremely well this season, holding opponents to a worse percentage than we've shot, which is hard to even comprehend. Anyway, I was talking about throwing more pressure at them and trying to bully their smaller guards into turnovers, but I do suppose that could leave us vulnerable to some open looks and we can't let them get hot.

As RU said, I interpret Coach's statement as meaning that Fordham will change up defenses on the Bills for up to four different styles, not that he has prepared four different styles to throw at Fordham.

24 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I think Ford was saying (if I'm reading the summary correctly) that Fordham plays 4 different types of defense.  He was not saying that SLU is going to show Fordham 4 different looks on D. 

I'd imagine they'll figure out quickly that a zone is going to be most effective and use that a lot against us.

9 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

As RU said, I interpret Coach's statement as meaning that Fordham will change up defenses on the Bills for up to four different styles, not that he has prepared four different styles to throw at Fordham.

I guess I read that wrong. Bummer.

50 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

We r the keystone Kops of the fast break 😎

1 hour ago, moytoy12 said:

I'm confused by this.  We're not good at fast breaks and finishing so we're not going to work/focus on it, but yet we're going to focus on turnovers and converting? Am i missing something?

I do find this somewhat perplexing . We might be the worst fast breaking team I have ever seen. Are we so hopeless that we couldn't improve thru practice? 

18 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

That is what I heard. 

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

Lasalles gym is a high school gym, Rose Hill was really cool when I went two years ago.   Loved that place. 

I have a group that has gone to a road Billiken game for the past 8 seasons.  Rose Hill was my favorite venue, even over Hinkle Field House.  Because we qualified for "group sales," our tickets cost $5.00 and we were in the first row.  The Fordham fans were great to hang out with, likely because they were just there to have fun and didn't expect much from their team.  Before the game, some college kids and some old ladies set up the concessions.  By this, I mean they put up a few folding tables on which they placed a hot dog roller, a nacho cheese machine, boxes of candy, etc.  Drinks were in coolers behind the tables.  It was awesome.  Like watching some moms set up for a CYC game.  Throughout the game, the Fordham fans kept coming up to us an asking us about our trip and commenting on how cool it was that we were traveling to watch our team.

After the game, some Fordham fans approached our group outside.  They mentioned that there was an old bar located under the gym and invited us to join them for their after game ritual.  I really regret not canceling our dinner reservations that we were heading to and hanging out with those guys underneath Rose Hill in some dusty and probably amazing bar.

If anyone gets the chance, I highly recommend a road trip to watch the Bills play at Fordham.

4 hours ago, Pistol said:

I listened.  He encouraged a big crowd tonight.  Talked a lot about how players have been stepping up and hitting big shots.  Mentioned how the A10 is very competitive, and said Davidson, VCU, SLU, and St. Josephs could win it. 

Additionally, he said KC Hankton will be a game time decision tonight. 

5 minutes ago, BillikenBoy10 said:

I listened.  He encouraged a big crowd tonight.  Talked a lot about how players have been stepping up and hitting big shots.  Mentioned how the A10 is very competitive, and said Davidson, VCU, SLU, and St. Josephs could win it. 

Additionally, he said KC Hankton will be a game time decision tonight. 

I know he's showing respect to tonight's opponent but they're basically already out of it. Dayton and George Mason would be the others in the hunt.

Listened to Ford on the Midday Grind Yesterday. 

The day Gordon left, it wasn't discussed in practice, no one asked any questions.  It was another day at the gym. They haven't changed their game strategy with the departure.

Wiley is out of shape, no legs.  He has to get his legs back to get his shot.

Coach said French is very humble and some days too nice.  He is equal right or left hand. 

5 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Listened to Ford on the Midday Grind Yesterday. 

The day Gordon left, it wasn't discussed in practice, no one asked any questions.  It was another day at the gym. They haven't changed their game strategy with the departure.

Wiley is out of shape, no legs.  He has to get his legs back to get his shot.

Coach said French is very humble and some days too nice.  He is equal right or left hand. 

Thank you for the summary, good post.

3 hours ago, CBFan said:

Thank you for the summary, good post.  <Wiley is out of shape, no legs.  He has to get his legs back to get his shot.>

Legs found!!