Good luck Mickey Pearson!

15 minutes ago, Old guy said:

On the same line of thinking plenty of juveniles, 18 and under commit murder, or rapes, or sell drugs, or steal or just engage in wanton destruction. So, just because they are juvies they should be forgiven because they made a mistake? Some of these juveniles are tried as adults and some actually get very heavy sentences. Are you going to apply a different way to judge these juvies versus the Pearsons of the world? A contract is a contract. That said Ford was correct in giving him a release, not because he was confused but because he would have been a major source of trouble in the team.

And this is where you’ve lost me

NH likes this

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Basketball recruiting is a world away from interviewing for and possibly accepting a job.  Kids are recruited for years.  They often have multiple options to consider, instead of someone in a position of accepting a job or not.  A recruit will narrow his list down to just those offers he is truly interested in.  Then they go get to visit the schools that they like.  The kids consult with parents, friends, coaches.  Then after this lengthy process they have to choose one school that is wanting them to make a commitment to.  If the kid gets to the fall signing period and still is unsure of where he wants to commit, he can still put off his important decision until the spring.

I'm not in favor of bashing 18 year old kids.  I get it.  But when you F-over Coach Ford and our coaching staff just because you think you are better SLU, then I have no problem with you receiving the rath of Old Guy on our fan board.  I hope he gets a sick feeling in his stomach watching us in the tournament in March.

48 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

And this is where you’ve lost me

Sorry 05, children and Juveniles have to be made to understood that they will not be forgiven just because they are young and immature. This applies to all kinds of actions, not all of which are criminal in nature. The non criminal actions are not right and should not be automatically assigned to youth and immaturity. 

40 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

You clearly missed the content - I did not look for the interview-  They insisted and I agreed to talk - nothing wrong with that if you are honest with them up front.  I understand these kids are young but as I said in previous post earlier - then why even have LOI if it is now accepted that you can simply get out of it by asking anytime you want before enrolling.  When you sign the LOI a commitment had been made that is far more entangled then simply apply for a school and you changing your mind.  You can look at it your way and I will look at my way - I guess today neither of us are wrong.

The school can get out of the LOI at any time it decides, by simply not admitting the player to the school. Conversely, the player’s best option is to ask for a release, the path that Mickey chose. 

As several have stated, this is not a common occurrence. As such, it’s pretty clear there is no systemic issue with players not honoring their LOIs. Sometimes you get the rare case where a player has a sincere change of heart about the school he/she wants to attend. And personally I’m glad Mickey is looking out for himself and his family because lord knows the NCAA will not be.

rgbilliken likes this

7 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Sorry 05, children and Juveniles have to be made to understood that they will not be forgiven just because they are young and immature. This applies to all kinds of actions, not all of which are criminal in nature. The non criminal actions are not right and should not be automatically assigned to youth and immaturity. 

You just compared backing out of a LOI to rape and murder. Delete your account and try again.

6 minutes ago, NH said:

The school can get out of the LOI at any time it decides, by simply not admitting the player to the school. Conversely, the player’s best option is to ask for a release, the path that Mickey chose. 

As several have stated, this is not a common occurrence. As such, it’s pretty clear there is no systemic issue with players not honoring their LOIs. Sometimes you get the rare case where a player has a sincere change of heart about the school he/she wants to attend. And personally I’m glad Mickey is looking out for himself and his family because lord knows the NCAA will not be.

that's all fine.  but dont chide us for not kissing their azz and wishing them well.   they are and should be pretty much dead to the slu fandom imo.  

and what does he have to look out for himself vs the billikens?  you write that as though there is a problem with him coming to slu.   if i remember right you were actually a defender of our three wonderful S2 folk so you are obviously not talking about that.   what does he have to look out for?

5 minutes ago, NH said:

I know that a school can do that but I don't think that is right either.  

billiken_roy likes this

At that latest in Home visit, Coach Ford shoulda taken Mickey over his knee and spanked his behind. Thatd fix him right up. Once he had learned his lesson, break out the bag of Jim Crews leftover Werthers Originals. Seal the deal like the good old days. 

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

On the same line of thinking plenty of juveniles, 18 and under commit murder, or rapes, or sell drugs, or steal or just engage in wanton destruction. So, just because they are juvies they should be forgiven because they made a mistake? Some of these juveniles are tried as adults and some actually get very heavy sentences. Are you going to apply a different way to judge these juvies versus the Pearsons of the world? A contract is a contract. That said Ford was correct in giving him a release, not because he was confused but because he would have been a major source of trouble in the team.

Image result for horrified gif

GBL_Bills likes this

I no longer care anything about Mickey Pearson.  (I need to get back to my policy of avoiding watching highlight videos or reading up on recruits or doing anything that might lead to my developing some kind of attachment to them until they play for the Billikens.  Heck, I wasted time salivating about Ty Graves and Adonys Henriquez, too.)

But the thing that I wonder is how this defection affects Coach Ford's recruiting efforts in the state (commonwealth) of Kentucky.  He's been looking at guys in Kentucky -- Ware and Tandy, for example -- but maybe staying focused on the regions where he's been successful at luring players would be more fruitful.  He might not want to turn his back on his home state, but if they're turning their backs on him, he may want to say, "Fine, I'll be successful with recruits for elsewhere."  But in the long run, would that make him less likely to move to a job in Kentucky?

16 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

At that latest in Home visit, Coach Ford shoulda taken Mickey over his knee and spanked his behind. Thatd fix him right up. Once he had learned his lesson, break out the bag of Jim Crews leftover Werthers Originals. Seal the deal like the good old days.  

I think you meant "learnt."

2 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I no longer care anything about Mickey Pearson.  (I need to get back to my policy of avoiding watching highlight videos or reading up on recruits or doing anything that might lead to my developing some kind of attachment to them until they play for the Billikens.  Heck, I wasted time salivating about Ty Graves and Adonys Henriquez, too.)

But the thing that I wonder is how this defection affects Coach Ford's recruiting efforts in the state (commonwealth) of Kentucky.  He's been looking at guys in Kentucky -- Ware and Tandy, for example -- but maybe staying focused on the regions where he's been successful at luring players would be more fruitful.  He might not want to turn his back on his home state, but if they're turning their backs on him, he may want to say, "Fine, I'll be successful with recruits for elsewhere."  But in the long run, would that make him less likely to move to a job in Kentucky?

I was just about to make the point about Kentucky. Ford is still recruiting the state and will continue to do so. It'd have been helpful for Pearson to come here and have a good experience. I don't think Pearson will have negative things to say about SLU - he committed and signed early, the coaches rushed down when he expressed doubts, and he still opted out a few days later, none of which was on the coaches, school, or program - but it would have been nice to have a current player help him in recruiting Kentucky.

I went from thinking something was fishy to assuming he had a genuine family reason for backing out to not knowing either way, and depending on where he ends up going, my opinion on the matter might change again. I do like the fact that we had another player lined up and committed before Pearson's release was even official, though. "You're breaking up with me? Okay, have a nice life." Ford moves on quickly.

45 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

that's all fine.  but dont chide us for not kissing their azz and wishing them well.   they are and should be pretty much dead to the slu fandom imo.  

and what does he have to look out for himself vs the billikens?  you write that as though there is a problem with him coming to slu.   if i remember right you were actually a defender of our three wonderful S2 folk so you are obviously not talking about that.   what does he have to look out for?

I chided Old Guy for saying pretty aggressive things about him. No need in my mind for anyone to actively pat him in the back but let the kid be is all I would ask.

The second part is a little ridiculous.Not every school is the right fit for every kid/student/player/athlete. Just because SLU was not the right decision for him does not mean I think there’s something wrong with SLU. 

I understand that kids change their minds, but if this kid actually ends up being a good player somewhere, I’m going to be irritated.

Still, I find it interesting that he was probably the least heralded recruit in the fall recruiting class of him, Gordon, and Thatch, but now he’s getting looks from Power 5 conference schools.

35 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

I understand that kids change their minds, but if this kid actually ends up being a good player somewhere, I’m going to be irritated.

Still, I find it interesting that he was probably the least heralded recruit in the fall recruiting class of him, Gordon, and Thatch, but now he’s getting looks from Power 5 conference schools.

Not usual at all.  Power 5 schools miss out on some targets or lose players to transfers, miss out on the grad transfer train, and all of a sudden, those under recruited prospects in November, look really good in June/July.

2010andBeyond likes this

2 hours ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Like SIUC fans will be irritated if Jacobs does well at SLU?