GDT: Crash the Flyers

johnbj14

2 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Hines is what he is, a walk-on with limited D-1 skills that plays his arse off. Not sure why people are blasting the kid so much or why your expectations are so high. 

I agree with this.

My only question is why does he try to turn himself into MJ at crunch time?

He refuses to give it up when the game is on the line. 

If he just knew his limitations I could live with him being a body.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, RiseAndGrind said:

I get why HInes does it, but Ford has to control him. I don't blame Hines - he wants to be the hero. 

Hines is able to beat his guy off the dribble initially (and often will run into trouble after that).  He does it better than any guard we currently have. I really like Roby, but Roby doesn't create a lot of his own offense.  Bess and Foreman generally do a good job beating guys off the dribble, but they're not pgs.  It sucks, we're just limited on talent at the pg position.  

Just now, willie said:

I’mnot sure how you mean that. While I understand why he plays sometimes I believe we would be better without. 

Really?  Completely disagree. Roby isn't a full-time pg. If Roby handled it as much (or ran the offense as much), I suspect we would have a lot of folks complaining.  

You would think it is Hines fault that Goodwin and Graves aren’t playing.  If those guys were on the team Hines would be getting 10 minutes a game and wouldn’t be getting overexposed.  Hines put himself in debt for a large period of his life to pay to play for the team for two seasons.

if you want to b!tch about something, b!tch about the administration hiring Crews to recruit crappy players and then screwing up S2.

14 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Really?  Completely disagree. Roby isn't a full-time pg. If Roby handled it as much (or ran the offense as much), I suspect we would have a lot of folks complaining.  

I understand the ball handling part but how many times was Hines exposed on the back end of our zone? I really appreciate what he has done but his limitations are huge. 

I'm the leader of the "Damn it, Hines!" Support Group, but I'm not going to peg this one on him. We've overcome his careless passes, poor decision making, and reckless drives several times this year. The issue tonight was the fact that we couldn't generate offense in the second half. French was the only guy who could get anything going despite picking up his third foul early in the half. Second Half Scoring Distribution: French with 14, Bess with 6, and Hines with 1. You aren't going to win many games when one player (in this case a freshman...albeit a great one) has to outscore an entire team on the road. With our depleted roster, we need at least 3 guys to have a good game every night. We also can't afford anybody having an awful game. Tonight, half the team had an awful night. Foreman looked lost. Johnson looked tentative after his three point attempt was blocked by Greek Freak Junior. Roby wasn't the same after getting dinged up at the end of the second half. Bess wasn't efficient and struggled to get to the line. We simply ran out of gas at the end of a 2 game 4 day road trip with a lineup featuring 5 D-1 caliber players. If we play this game tomorrow, I think we have enough extra gas in the tank to hang on down the stretch.

Like nearly all of our losses this year, chalk this one up as a victory for Freddy P., Stormy Weathers, the Kratky Gold Standard, and brave orgy "survivors" everywhere. It's tough work being a Billiken fan.

RIP HUMPS, Iggy, CBFan and 2 others like this

8 hours ago, SouthSide_Billiken said:

I'm the leader of the "Damn it, Hines!" Support Group, but I'm not going to peg this one on him. We've overcome his careless passes, poor decision making, and reckless drives several times this year. The issue tonight was the fact that we couldn't generate offense in the second half. French was the only guy who could get anything going despite picking up his third foul early in the half. Second Half Scoring Distribution: French with 14, Bess with 6, and Hines with 1. You aren't going to win many games when one player (in this case a freshman...albeit a great one) has to outscore an entire team on the road. With our depleted roster, we need at least 3 guys to have a good game every night. We also can't afford anybody having an awful game. Tonight, half the team had an awful night. Foreman looked lost. Johnson looked tentative after his three point attempt was blocked by Greek Freak Junior. Roby wasn't the same after getting dinged up at the end of the second half. Bess wasn't efficient and struggled to get to the line. We simply ran out of gas at the end of a 2 game 4 day road trip with a lineup featuring 5 D-1 caliber players. If we play this game tomorrow, I think we have enough extra gas in the tank to hang on down the stretch.

Like nearly all of our losses this year, chalk this one up as a victory for Freddy P., Stormy Weathers, the Kratky Gold Standard, and brave orgy "survivors" everywhere. It's tough work being a Billiken fan.

I'm not going to criticize the team on this loss. Look, when you have to intentionally run 20 seconds off the shot clock to slow the game down, it's hard to be effective when you have to create a shot with less than 10 seconds to beat the buzzer. Dayton figured this out, and made it extremely difficult in the second half. The real killer was French picking up that third foul. In retrospect, I agree with a previous poster that they should have just left him in. It was also noticeable how many times defensively, we just let them go to avoid fouling. 

Any wins we get between now and the end of the year is icing on the cake. As many have said Hines is what he is and we need him in our given situation like last year. I appreciate his effort.  We are all disappointed with the turn of events this year but it is what it is.  As long as we are in this situation we will just have to look forward to next year.  Let’s hope for wins but getting to excited over losing is not helping anything at this point.  

10 hours ago, Westy03 said:

4-10 free throws  

The biggest reason they lost last night not Hines.

Hines contributed he took 2 steps forward on step back but his good play gave this team a chance.

Hines 3 pointer at the end of the first half made up for the crappy free throw shooting from guys that can shoot them.

10 hours ago, CoachSpoon said:

4th post. 

How are you silly f##ks blaming Hines for this game? No one other than French did anything the 2nd half, but you silly f##ks blame Hines.

Strong 4th post you are very impressive, why don't you stop by after a win.

It is scary you claim to be a coach with language like that, hopefully you don't coach any kids.

I disagreed with a lot of stuff last night ... which took the edge way off the excitement that was a win Saturday in Richmond.  I will say this, four years from now, when Dayton is looking for  a new coach after firing unproductive grad Anthony Grant, I will say told you so.  Dayton fans better be expecting a large and long drop off now that Archie is gone. 

I picked on Hines last night but more so because I can't understand why the damn walk-on has the ball in his hands when the shot clock is down to ten seconds or the game is on the line.  It just seems the opposition knows real well who they want to have the ball then.  The kid is the only one on the team as a guard who can penetrate, but then he leaves his feet, gets caught in mid-air, and can't finish nor find a guy to pass it to.  I'll thank him with a standing ovation on graduating with the key phrase don't let the door hit you on the way out.  Until Hines is gone, the stench of [dead] will always remain.  Unfortunately, Hines is the walkign talking epitome of the [dead] failures.  Out of sight, out of mind.

Another that can't graduate soon enough is Roby.  Again, pretty unfair to him, he didn't ask to be in this position but he is [dead] legacy as well.  If you go back to the beginning of the year, the thought process was one that Davell would play but be a spot and role player, not  a major minutes eater.  And with S2, that changed back to what he's been for the past three years .. a decent cog but not really a starter and wildly inconsistent at best.  Then he gets the point guard role thrust upon him which further adds to  a burden he is unable to carry to begin with.  These two guys are busting their guts and bleeding Billiken blue but their limitations are obvious.  Plus I'd like to amputate all connections to [dead] and go from there.

Both Foreman and Johnson disappeared last night.  A meager two points from each.  We need 3.5 to 4 guys as viable scoring options as we play each game and we did not have that last night.  And as noted in the PD article, Roby disappeared after halftime.  J-u-s-t c-a-n -'-t-h-a-v-e-t-h-a-t.  Bess tried but fell short.  He hits his average and we're okay.  We are also okay if we shoot 70% from the line because that was four more free throws and we lost by three. 

There were some really bad signs I saw last night, signs I don't recall seeing before.  Maybe it was me but Roby sure seemed to be pointing fingers at every defensive lapse and I would not have noticed this if he wasn't in the framed shot.  As in involved in blowing the assignment.  And a sin blaming someone else.  He completely lost Trey Landers at the 1:45 mark for that tip in that gave Dayton it's biggest lead at five points.  Piss poor execution amplified by his being a senior who should know better.  The fact that weak link Trey Landers and gawky freshman Antetokoumpo led them in scoring shows we let their weakest links beat us.  No Davis.  No Cruthcher.  No Cunningham.  DJ Foreman had an awful game but his body language and demeanor were really off.  Shaking his head in disgust, rushing shots, traveling ... he just seemed way too out of control.  And what for?  Dayton didn't exactly have a real shot blocker back there for most of the game as Antetokoumpo played only a half. Foreman's only bucket was a dunk in the de facto first quarter.  Man were we short last night.  Jalen Johnson has completely disappeared on the offensive end.

Going forward, I had last night as a loss.  The fact we led for the entire game only to choke at the end really hurt because any win is a steal for us right now.  I still think we can win out as we go down these last three games but it will take a collective team effort.  Two of the three are at home and that should allow us to get to ten wins.  Duquesne is currently in free fall and I like our chances there as well.  And all are also losable games too.  It's not March but the madness has begun.

Regroup and don't let Yuta Watanabee beat us come Saturday. 

MattyMo213 and slufan13 like this