Fall 2017 allegations against unnamed players (aka Situation 2)

DoctorB

I would assume the athletic department wants to look like they were completely blindsided/victimized by this situation. And that they still believe in the innocence of the players so no reason to back off that stance now. Plus, they probably have no desire to delete a 4 week old tweet at this point.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, BrockL said:

What would be the point of deleting it? 

I agree that I don't think they should delete it, BUT...

If you are SLU and are indeed kicking these boys out of school for what the institution has deemed egregious sexual behavior, then from a PR standpoint, how does it look having a school-sponsored account posting a picture of said players? Seems like a bonehead move to me. 

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

Given what the players' initial punishments ended up being a few days after the post, my question is: what was the point of posting it? Seems like reckless behavior to me.

Good point. I agree. Seems both reckless and incompetent. 

2 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I would assume the athletic department wants to look like they were completely blindsided/victimized by this situation. And that they still believe in the innocence of the players so no reason to back off that stance now. Plus, they probably have no desire to delete a 4 week old tweet at this point.

This is true. It still seems like a weird move from a program that had been so, so cautious before (and since) in terms of keeping the suspended players out of their social media feeds.

3 minutes ago, Pistol said:

This is true. It still seems like a weird move from a program that had been so, so cautious before (and since) in terms of keeping the suspended players out of their social media feeds.

Agree. I feel like the athletic department had to have been misled at some point in this investigation. 

6 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Just add it to moving the players back on campus and then moving them off campus again.

LindellWest likes this

9 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Yea that is why I was surprised by Gardners tweets.  I figured the recommendation from the outside firm was much less than what the hearing officer came out with but he seemed to be implying (and probably getting his info from Jenna Glass) that they were aligned.  

16 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Based on how the whole situation has been handled (i.e. secretly within the confines of the Title IX office), I'm fairly convinced that the athletic department has been in the dark and completely blindsided/victimized by everything thus far.  I would surmise that even if the athletic department wanted to be involved that they would be stonewalled by Weathers and Co. because of a conflict of interest.  As a result, Ford is just as dumbfounded as the rest of us and unfortunately will be left to pick up the pieces when the program crumbles.

P.S.  If the basketball program is left in a state that it no longer can support the remaining non-revenue sports, does SLU have the option to, and will they, cut other sports as necessary?

23 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Again  you are dead wrong. Many kids are walking SLUs campus with full scholarships and are not held to higher standards.  And nearly everyone else has some type of financial aide package. Justice is not imposed depending upon the amount of tuition one pays. 

You may put high profile players on a pedaestal but that is you and and your personal agenda. And don’t ever attempt to speak for young kids. Your comments are wrong and childish. Not childlike. Look up the difference. 

The problem is no one is paying money to watch someone construct a balance sheet, solve a problem in a Calculus class.

CBS Sports Network or Fox Sports Midwest aren't televising SLU classes (for that matter they aren't televising many SLU basketball games) at least as far as I know.

People pay money to watch the basketball team. That is why the basketball players are higher profile members of the University. Do you think if this happened to seven rank and file students there would be a thread this long on this site. The answer is no.

So you tell me that Billikens Basketball players don't sign autographs? Don't I've young kids high fives? I better not see that. 

The other thing if they don't do that is to say what jerks the players are.

Adonis Henriqiuez only has himself to blame for the reason he is no longer at SLU. It is not Pestello's fault or Weathers'fault, or the school's fault.

He chose to participate in an orgy that he was charged with sexual assault by one of the participants. This encounter was also filmed and posted online.

Being part of that encounter was his choice and his choice alone. It was also conduct unbecoming a SLU Varsity basketball player as well as stupid.

He chose to not get a degree from SLU, SLU did not chose for him to not get a degree. He still could get a degree from another school if he chooses, probably not a priority for him.

I actually think that given that Bishop and JG are still around that they know something or at least their lawyers do.  At this point I am not trying to predict anything because this has been such a crazy process so who knows.  All I am saying is I wonder if the two above know how this will turn out and decided to ride it out.

2 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I actually think that given that Bishop and JG are still around that they know something or at least their lawyers do.  At this point I am not trying to predict anything because this has been such a crazy process so who knows.  All I am saying is I wonder if the two above know how this will turn out and decided to ride it out.

I've wondered if it has to do with them picking SLU out of high school. They have emotional ties to the University whereas Graves and Henriquez transferred in.

2 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Bishop and Goodwin are the only two in S2 with ties to SLU. Graves and Henriquez never played a minute for SLU. 

Just clicked on the link to BenFreds chat today and he starts out with, "Greetings, chatters. Thanks for stopping by. I'm anchored in here at P-D headquarters. We will have some news on the St. Louis University basketball investigation on the site shortly, and I'll drop that in here. I promise I will be more open and honest than SLU when answering your questions. Fire away."

Great reputation SLU is building but glad BenFred is not letting it go it seems.  

2 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

Just clicked on the link to BenFreds chat today and he starts out with, "Greetings, chatters. Thanks for stopping by. I'm anchored in here at P-D headquarters. We will have some news on the St. Louis University basketball investigation on the site shortly, and I'll drop that in here. I promise I will be more open and honest than SLU when answering your questions. Fire away."

Great reputation SLU is building but glad BenFred is not letting it go it seems.  

Ben Fred: "Let's answer your questions about SLU!"

STLToday commenters: 32 consecutive questions about the Cardinals.

Ben Fred: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It kind of worries me that both Graves and Henriquez have now "voluntarily withdrawn". I was hoping that only one person would have left and we could assume that was the person expelled. Now I have some worry that the expelled player could be someone who is still in school. And I wouldn't be worried if that person was Bishop so hopefully people can figure out who I mean.

RiseAndGrind likes this