Fall 2017 allegations against unnamed players (aka Situation 2)

DoctorB

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Billikenswin said:

There is a huge amount of false information being posted about President Pestello on this board and at some point I may respond to the BS.

But today I only want to say this:

This process is dictated by the federal government and has been for some time. Many don't like it but that is a fact.

The president of the university and many others including the AD have nothing whatever to do with the investigation, any delays or the decisions made.

When the allegations are made, the University legal department and the title IX coordinator take over in terms of the investigation and the process.

In this case, the university hired outside counsel to do a full investigation and present a report to the hearing officer. The President is completely out of the loop in terms of the investigation or the timing of anything done in the process. Any delays are directly attributable to the complexity of the matters involved and the time taken by the outside firm to do the preliminary and final report to the hearing officer.

To suggest that Fred Pestello has intentionally delayed or been in any way involved in this process, or intends to attempt to influence the process, is ridiculous and false.

Thanks for the information.  Just one question, who has suspended the players for gameday only the AD or the school?

RiseOfTheBillikens likes this

6 minutes ago, Billikenswin said:

There is a huge amount of false information being posted about President Pestello on this board and at some point I may respond to the BS.

This process is dictated by the federal government and has been for some time. Many don't like it but that is a fact.

The president of the university and many others including the AD have nothing whatever to do with the investigation, any delays or the decisions made.

When the allegations are made, the University legal department and the title IX coordinator take over in terms of the investigation and the process.

In this case, the university hired outside counsel to do a full investigation and present a report to the hearing officer. The President is completely out of the loop in terms of the investigation or the timing of anything done in the process. Any delays are directly attributable to the complexity of the matters involved and the time taken by the outside firm to do the preliminary and final report to the hearing officer.

To suggest that Fred Pestello has intentionally delayed or been in any way involved in this process, or intends to attempt to influence the process, is ridiculous and false.

Appreciate your input. I think most, at least speaking for myself, aren’t necessarily upset with the process itself but more that slu, and I would think pestello sighted off on, the interim arrangement where the players are allowed to do everything except play while the process is ongoing. The process itself is what it is and pestello or anyone else can’t really do anything about that. I would though think they should’ve had the foresight to realize this would drag on for over half the season and come up with a better initial punishment. What happens if the players are cleared?! Is slu just going to say sorry?

8 minutes ago, Westy03 said:

Thanks for the information.  Just one question, who has suspended the players for gameday only the AD or the school?

The AD has absolutely nothing to do with any of this at all and the same is true with regard to President Pestello. they are not involved in terms of any actions, decisions or the process.

WestCoastBilliken likes this

4 minutes ago, Billikenswin said:

The AD has absolutely nothing to do with any of this at all. He is totally out of the loop in terms of any actions, decisions or the process.

So who suspended the players?  It has to be the title IX team or Pestello or both.  

8 minutes ago, Billikenswin said:

Fred Pestello is not powerless. He sets expectations on when things are done. He ensures they are a priority. It is absolutely ridiculous to act like the entire school has ZERO control in setting basic parameters and expectations of the urgency in which investigations are done. Also, Title IX is a great threat the federal government can use to ensure compliance. The federal government is not looking to ensure that relatively straightforward investigations take 120+ days to be concluded. I HOPE this is resolved by February 1st, but am not optimistic. 

The President of the school is responsible to make sure his organization functions properly. The inability to conclude this issue is not properly functioning.  He is a leader and I expect him to lead.  This is not leadership, but is instead a total miscarriage of justice for the men and the women.

Maybe we can next start the argument that the AD is not responsible for the delay in hiring a soccer coach because he cannot make people accept his overtures or because he doesn’t create the competitive landscape of men’s soccer  

HenryB and Billy Ken like this

16 minutes ago, Billikenswin said:

I have never thought anything different then you posted.  The one thing that Pestello could have done is tell the Hearing Officer that she has to finish the matter by Jan. 1 - school being in closed or not is not the issue.  Had this been done people would have been less bothered at least recently.

32 minutes ago, Billikenswin said:

-I'll chime in, too

-DrP and CMay have nothing to do with the investigation, I'll buy that, but CMay should have been advocating to DrP or whoever he reports to that this needs to be done with ASAP and DrP should have set a deadline for conclusion and the U hires the law firm, if the tail is wagging the dog there is an issue 

-I have no idea if DrP intentionally delayed but the facts scream to me that no sense of urgency has been placed on this investigation by the U leaving all parties, including the girls and the players and many others, in limbo, not a good place

billiken_roy likes this

You know it's just shocking to hold the head of and organization responsible for what that organization does.  Just shocking!  It never happens anywhere else in the public or private sector........

If Fred is as far out of the loop Billikenwins says, he should be fired for neglecting his duties.  Obviously I don't expect him to play "junior gman" and start participating in the investigation but I do expect him to have a say in how things have proceeded and what punishments are handed down.....

Pestello is the President. End of conversation, everything is his problem. I am not saying he has control over the title ix process, but he has control over the culture and expectations of the athletic department and management. You'd think after situation 1, there would be a vigilant effort to educate every student athlete about sexual assault or putting yourself in situations that can ruin people's lives. I know we are talking about kids and they do stupid stuff, but I doubt this was first time an orgy/wild party happened with student athletes. I realize easier said than done, but this goes to AD and how department is run daily. Why he'd want to be back in this situation is insane to me. He works for Fred. Again, please give me 3 examples of something significant Pestello has achieved? He has no clue about athletics and only cares about his interests, not university or city's interests, especially not students interests. Name 3 things, I can't. I just can't stand three kids lives tarnished as well as women twisting in the wind while the President hands out cookies and plays comedian on social media. He's a gold brick.

30 minutes ago, Westy03 said:

So who suspended the players?  It has to be the title IX team or Pestello or both.  

the players, very respectable and mature decision by them

1 minute ago, Billiken Rich said:

You know it's just shocking to hold the head of and organization responsible for what that organization does.  Just shocking!  It never happens anywhere else in the public or private sector........

If Fred is as far out of the loop Billikenwins says, he should be fired for neglecting his duties.  Obviously I don't expect him to play "junior gman" and start participating in the investigation but I do expect him to have a say in how things have proceeded and what punishments are handed down.....

My last comment--you and most on this board do not understand how Title IX works. If the President of any University is involved or even perceived to be involved is attempting to influence this process he or she would be in incredible hot water and probably would eventually be fired. this is nothing like the real world.

WestCoastBilliken likes this

3 minutes ago, Billikenswin said:

My last comment--you and most on this board do not understand how Title IX works. If the President of any University is involved or even perceived to be involved is attempting to influence this process he or she would be in incredible hot water and probably would eventually be fired. this is nothing like the real world.

So who made the decision to let the players practice, travel, participate in team activities, but not play? 

HenryB likes this

Also, I've said this in another post, but not having a soccer coach especially after all the big talk from AD is worrisome to say the least. How do you fire a coach and not have his replacement already in place? Since he works for Pestello, this is also on President. That's how real world, not academics is run. You've got an entire men's soccer team, parents, coaches in limbo about their careers/lives. How is this stuff so difficult especially in division 1 athletics. Not to mention the reason we are looking for a new coach is because AD watched program slowly burn to the ground and now that same guy is in charge of fixing the mess he helped cause. Again, he works for Pestello. Sorry for the rant, I'm just so fired up and tired of same stupid decisions and expecting different results. 

3 minutes ago, Billikenswin said:

We all know it's not the real world, it's academic fantasyland that unfortunately has real world collateral damage; namely 3 Student Athletes and 3 Students are left twisting in the wind, a university that for the 2nd time in 10 years is dealing with a mess that can and will cause long term damage to the program.....

We won't get an answer on who suspended the players because Pestello's blind supporters don't want to admit it was him.

Pestello took unfair heat about all of this at the start of the process and there is probably still a lot that is out of his control. But I'm sorry, at some point all of this falls on the president of the University fair or not. The process is completely in SLU's hands now but they seem content with shutting down for Christmas break. That part at least is complete and utter b.ullsh.it on Pestello's part. 

3star_recruit likes this

Just now, slufan13 said:

We won't get an answer on who suspended the players because Pestello's blind supporters don't want to admit it was him.

I agree with this, Pestello is so afraid to make a decision. He's not a leader, he's an overpaid sociology professor.

12 minutes ago, Billikenswin said:

What is the influence in making a decision one way or the other?

billiken_roy likes this

Pestello really kind of f-ed up when he made the statement about a month ago that SLU would receive the preliminary report within a week. At that point, he admitted that the external process was nearing an end and SLU's title ix policy states that it's now completely in SLU's hands. To act like the past 2 weeks have been delayed due to the third party investigator is untrue and ridiculous. At some point, Pestello has to man up and make a decision and not just hope that the players will transfer. 

3star_recruit likes this

27 minutes ago, Billikenswin said:

Wrong.  I keep bringing up the Baylor example because it is extreme and ABSOLUTELY nothing has happened to the school from the Federal or State government.  The University covered up actual rapes.  That was after they had a coach misled the NCAA on a MURDER.  The university hired Pepper Hamilton and conducted an internal review of which there is NO written record and the Board of Regents only moved the President of the school to work in the Law School.  He was only later removed after public outcry.  So you're very wrong.

TIX is a guideline for schools the Federal government does not enforce it in even the most extreme cases.  There's a fear that it could affect federal funding/grants.  Can 1 person name 1 situation where this has ever occurred?

So tell me again how this is a Federal Government program that the School ie Freddy P has no control over?  How about this for control: Freddy P sets a reasonable timeline on the investigation for the firm the school is PAYING.  If that timeline can't be met they brief him and he adjusts.  He recuses himself from making determinations of adjudicating the matter but can most certainly be informed on the ongoing investigation.  It is in the interest of all for this to be handled as swiftly as possible while being fair to all involved.  Being pre-emptively suspended when there are NO criminal charges and only violations of a School honor code is not fair. 

I want a job where I can make 500k+ , a president title, and have, apparently, zero responsibility for anything that happens under my watch. Sounds nice. When tough decisions come up, shift blame, hire outside firms, and make YouTube videos. 

A group that hasn’t taken as much heat as it should is the board of trustees. A weak group that hired a weak president. 

That same weak president has apparently pissed down a board members leg and told him it’s raining when it comes to his control. And that board member took his umbrella out. 

All this while SLU is making front page headlines for sexual assault ONLY because this process has been so terrible from the start. Incredible.